RD in WI 05-Oct-20
Arrowflinger 05-Oct-20
drmike 05-Oct-20
midwest 05-Oct-20
Yellowjacket 05-Oct-20
Zim 06-Oct-20
ELKMAN 06-Oct-20
04-Oct-20
Since I switched from fingers to shooting a release about 5 years ago I’ve squeezed the trigger. I’ve shot very well except for a couple of times under pressure when I punched the trigger and missed. This summer I began shooting with a back tension release and have gotten to love it and am shooting g better with the surprise release. I’m considering hunting with it, several of my buddies do. Who does and any issues? Thanks!

04-Oct-20
Jasper, which release r u currently using?

05-Oct-20
I shoot a thumb with back tension and have no issues.

05-Oct-20
Yes running a BT gold four finger release for five years now. I use the the wrist sling on it. Only thing I don’t like is not being able to keep it cocked while hunting.

05-Oct-20
I started hunting with a hinge 5 years ago, came from a thumb release due to same reasons as you, I got punchy. Only down side is you can't hang it off your D-loop, but a made a rope tether that goes around my wrist so i don't drop it and always have it on and in my pocket.

05-Oct-20
The risks outweigh the benefits in my opinion. I've shot back tension releases for forty years but hunt with a trigger. The last thing I want when shooting is a surprise. Too often it's necessary to be able to shoot a little faster, stop because the animal moves or a branch gets in the way, you can't get in the perfect position to properly use back tension, it's zero degrees and you can't feel your hands, there's no way to not wear a glove .........

I still shoot a trigger release using back tension when hunting but I like knowing I have more control.

05-Oct-20
I don’t believe a surprise release is good for killing animals. No hinge or back tension for me on the battle field.

I set my index release to settle in the middle crease of my index finger so “punch” is minimal. If I force myself to “aim hard” right at crunch time the result is usually good.

05-Oct-20
You can command any release or at a minimum speed it up. For me, I have no chance at shooting well with an index finger release. There literally is no negative for me shooting my thumb with back tension. I have however punched(not voluntarily) the release a few times on game but 9/10 times I shoot my shot just like I do on targets.

I can't remember how long it's been since I've exclusively shot thumb triggers for hunting but I have not drawn back on one animal to shoot where the shot didn't happen.

05-Oct-20
I hunt with a sweet spot hinge release with no issues. It has a safety which I like in a hunting situation, used properly it will not go off during the draw cycle. I don’t practice it very often, but I can make it go off just as fast as a trigger release. I was against hunting with a back tension for the longest time, but finally tried it. I will never go back!

05-Oct-20
I have mine set super hot, I get off the thumb peg, start my sequence and off it goes...dead animal. I tried slowing the release down and didn't like the lag in firing process. Works for me 100%

05-Oct-20
Never shot a back tension but when it comes to kill mode I'm a big believer in commanding the exact moment that puppy goes off. Sometimes it requires a "punch" but the animals keep dying. In the heat of the moment it seems to be less of a problem than target shooting. I mean who is really controlling their brain at the time anyways. It's like an out of body experience. Shot sequence happens animal runs off and I'm trying to replay in my mind what happened because it's like I wasn't present at the time. Once you tell your mind you are shooting you give over control to the animal inside lol.

05-Oct-20
I hunt with a thumb button(Nock2it) and train with a tension(silverback). As someone who had struggled terribly with shot anxiety, I had to change something with my shooting. I started all over again, and a tension release has been a lifesaver for me. With every shot I take, I have a mantra and a process. It’s not long or arduous, but helps me focus on making a good shot! The process helps me with the execution!

05-Oct-20
I'd also look at a Scott Longhorn Hex. I think it's one of the better back tension type releases for hunting. It won't go off when pulling back and has a wrist strap.

05-Oct-20
I do the same as Dino.

05-Oct-20
I shoot a Carter "Like Mike" trigger release and only trigger it with back tension. If it doesn't go off as a surprise, I let down, every time. "Every time" includes a 35 yard shoot I had at a Desert Bighorn sheep in 2014. Release didn't go off with back tension, sheep walked away and out of my life but minutes later a nicer one presented a shot at 40 yards and died.

I had some level of target panic for 15 years prior to 2014 and the surprise release is the only effective way I found to deal with this so shooting without a surprise release simply isn't an option for me. I'd rather miss an opportunity or two than go back to target panic mode. In that mode I was afraid to get an opportunity at a shot, which I knew I blow or wound, and didn't hunt effectively as a result.

My hats off to those who can control their release and shot purposely without getting target panic but many who do this eventually get some form of target panic.

05-Oct-20
I know a couple of accomplished archers who use a hinge release for hunting to great effect. Additionally, I also watched a video wherein Randy Ulmer stated that he would use his hinge-style release if the hunting situation allowed. If it increases your confidence and accuracy, you should be well-equipped if you decide to use it. Good luck

05-Oct-20
I have used a back tension release for years. I had a very bad case of Target panic. Mine is a hinge release. If it is set up properly it will go off in 3 to five seconds. For me personally it is the deadliest way to shoot animals. I have killed small game, deer, Hogs, Turkey, elk and other animals. I may try the Thumb style release sometime but I will never go back to the index finger release. If any of you are having problems punching. I recommend you get a Back tension release and learn to use it. It will help you.

05-Oct-20
I have for the last 30 years. After 30 years, you get know a release...

05-Oct-20
Levi Morgan seems to do okay hunting with a hinge. Not that he fires it with back tension.

05-Oct-20
I hunt with a Stan Element release. Never been a problem getting a shot to go when I want it on an animal.

06-Oct-20
I shoot/practice all year with 3 identical hinges set to different tensions in order to ensure I get a truly surprise release each time (you can learn the tension if you shoot the same hinge over and over). I then switch to a trigger for hunting in order to fully control the shot in the moment. Been doing that for a few years and it seems to have given me the best of both worlds....the hinges keep the target panic abated and the trigger gives me full control for the dynamic situations that undoubtedly arise on live animals.

06-Oct-20
I shoot ALL releases with "back tension"... Don't know any other way at this point. In hunting it's purely situational. Back tension is the proper way to execute a shot. Period. Trains your mental focus to be in the right places for when you can not... JS

• Sitka Gear