txhunter58 06-Oct-20
Milhouse 06-Oct-20
Boone 06-Oct-20
Milhouse 06-Oct-20
Kirkus 07-Oct-20
Pop-r 08-Oct-20
JL 08-Oct-20
05-Oct-20
Looking for a good top and bottom base layer for all day sits in November. Looking at the First Lite Men's Furnace right now. Do this fit well as a base layer? Does anyone have anything else i should look into that they prefer ?

05-Oct-20
I like the top of line Cabelas ECWCS base layers. I also recommend a heated vest, of which there are dozens if not hundreds of options out there now. I can get away with so much less if I have the tight-fitted heated vest over base layer. When the chill starts to set in, turn it on. You can get extra USB charged batteries to get through a day but mine will last a good 6-8 hours on full heat.

05-Oct-20
Base layers are not rocket science. Main 2 choices are merino wool and polypropylene. And their purpose is NOT to keep you warm but to wick moisture/sweat away from your body as you move and perspire. You can pay a lot of money for a base layer but I have never felt the need.

Not sure why, but I like merino wool for my bottoms and polypropylene for my tops. I love merino wool for sock and bottoms but the tops just seem to be slightly itchy. I buy a decent name brand but wait for a sale. I don’t think there is a “best” brand out there. I have some “Sitka” when I found a killer sale and a don’t notice the difference between that and brands that cost 1/3 as much.

To me the only real choice is tight/ snug fit vs. loose. I prefer loose ;-)

05-Oct-20
I don't know if they still sell them but I have a Cabelas base layer that's a thick fleecy thing and I will cry when I wear them out. They are ridiculously warm and wick moisture well.

05-Oct-20
I would just say they better keep you warm and wick. Nov. sits are very different in Texas compared to say a northern latitude state. Wind blocking may also be an important consideration. I may wear thin merino under another set of fleece backed when it's bitter cold with a breeze. I have some Sitka fleece that I bought at Camofire, great for really cold and block wind.

05-Oct-20
Agree with Jack and Apauls...I have two different weights, but the Polar are my favorites. I hope they still make these. I feel kind of special wearing them under my Sitka, but as of yet have not noticed an increased success level. I would take the Cabela's base layers over the Sitka if I had to give one up, they really have made a difference to me as age has deteriorated my ability to withstand the cold. GL.

05-Oct-20
Polyester based next to skin layers are da bomb if you plan to stand hunt. They also dry much quicker then wool. I like merino but, it in no way wicks, dries, or heats as well as polyester for me.

06-Oct-20
As stated, it really depends on your activity level as to what thickness you get. I must confess I have all 3 (light, medium, and heavy). I only use light for hiking in the summer, medium I use In cold weather when I will be moving around even a little, and heavy only when I drive to a stand and sit. 80% of the time, I wear my medium thickness

But I will say it again, the most important job a base layer does is wick sweat away. No matter how little you move, or how cold it is, you will sweat some. And if the base doesn’t wick that moisture efficiently away from you skin, you will get cold no matter how many layers you have on over that. Thick cotton long johns are not nearly as “warm” as thin polypro ones.

I guess lots of guys like the skin tight “compression fit”. But those turn my hair the wrong way and are uncomfortable for me. I like a good close fit, but not tight. But should you pay double for a “name brand”? No, Cabela’s are just as good, especially on sale! :-)

06-Oct-20
X 2 on the heated vest. Nothing keeps you warm like heat.

06-Oct-20
If you had to choose just one which would it be. A good quality base layer or a heated vest? I'm looking at the cabelas e.c.w.c.s line or a pnuma heated vest. Cabelas tops and bottoms are about the same price as the vest.

06-Oct-20
Well, once the battery goes dead..... the other base layers keep working. But the vest has kept me in the stand when without it.... I'd have got down. ND late November 15 degree f for a high cold....on low it lasts quite awhile, and I have extra batteries.... it ain't wrapped in a blanket in front of a fire warm. But it's enough to keep you from feeling like, "the hell with this, I'm heading for the truck."

06-Oct-20
Hunting late season up here is an expensive game. Any other time of the year, you can make do with run of the mill clothing.... once it gets cold, you either anty up, or quit hunting for the year.

06-Oct-20
Yep I'm in western Wisconsin and our county past an extended bow hunt this year until January 31st so it will be cold

06-Oct-20
"If you had to choose just one which would it be. A good quality base layer or a heated vest? I'm looking at the cabelas e.c.w.c.s line or a pnuma heated vest. Cabelas tops and bottoms are about the same price as the vest.".

The heated vest is more of a game changer than ECWCS, although they are very good base layers I have two sets. My vest was purchased on amazon and not as good a brand as Pnuma - I would go with the Pnuma if that was my choice between the two. Add an extra battery pack and you can sit all day in comfort.

06-Oct-20
Base layers are a necessity. Always get that first.

06-Oct-20
The heated vest will not replace a base layer..... at least where I live. It's another tool in the shed as far as I'm concerned. I own a fairly insane amount of clothing for cold weather hunting.... from base layers to outerwear. Pnuma has heated long underwear bottoms out this year as well, and I would imagine they will find their way to my house sooner or later.

06-Oct-20
I have an older set of under armour base layers. Was just going to upgrade to something nicer and retire those to ice fishing gear.

06-Oct-20
Anytime you can upgrade and it's in the budget, you won't regret it, honestly if you can get the set, vs just the vest, I'd probably go that way. Other side of the coin, my legs never get as cold as my torso, the vest is a nice option. Most people don't put together a cold weather system overnight.... it's expensive, and adding something here and there over time is a good way to go without breaking the bank.

07-Oct-20
I posted this a few years back on a similar thread for a less expensive option for cold weather hunting:

I have had several military surplus type Extreme Cold Weather polypropolene 1/4 zip thermal tops (like Cabelas ECWS) in OD brown or black. You can buy online at Midway USA / Amazon / Ebay for under $20. The cut of the collar on the 1/4 zip is at an angle, so if you zip it to the top, it runs up to the bottom of your chin. This is breathable to help keep you comfortable. There are 2 down sides to this piece: Order 1 size larger. I am usually a Large, but need an XL on this top to ensure the sleeves are long enough. Second negative is that the surface of the fabric "pills", most noticeably on the chest and belly for me. This happens when it rubs against the backside of the zipper of the coat I am wearing. This doesn't effect the garment, it just makes the surface look like it has little snags. Doesn't bother me a bit. Whether duck or deer hunting in very cold weather, I start with an "under armour type" base layer next to my skin, the ECW zip top, a thin fleece vest and the appropriate coat / jacket. At only $20, I have purchased 3 over the last 15 years or so and am quite pleased with the results.

The ECWS is thicker material. I don't find them that bulky, but there are thinner materials out there, Usually more expensive. There are also ECWS military poly pro long john bottoms of the same material. I don't have a pair, since I think the thicker material would not be as comfortable under pants. I do have thinner poly pro long johns from Duo Fold - probably a mid weight, not an "arctic" or extreme cold weight. Been using a pair for about 20 years or so and they are getting a little thin in a few spots. Bought another pair for under $30 a few years back.

Biggest issue I have is that I sweat, so I like thin layers that I can walk to the stand, then put on my vest and jacket. The zipper on the 1/4 zip is great for venting while walking and zip it up when you start to cool down. I wear them both while still hunting and on stand. Just about everyone in my family has them since I bought my first one.

Good luck on whatever you decide and best of luck to everyone this season.

08-Oct-20
Mine are definitely to keep me warm & wick! Can't imagine thinking any different.

08-Oct-20
I have a cool weather and cold weather, black onesey's I wore under my flt suits when flying in the cold spring and winters. They work great at wicking and warmth. Ya could likely find them online somewhere or an Army/Navy surplus store. If ya shoot something you can always strip down to your onesy and drag your sled/cart in just that. I've done it a few times to keep from getting too hot doing a cold weather drag. Quality head gear is critical as you can loose up to 75% of your body heat thru your head. For all day sits.....it's well worth having quality clothing to keep you comfortable.

• Sitka Gear