Shawn 07-Oct-20
Rut Nut 07-Oct-20
MA-PAdeerslayer 07-Oct-20
MF 07-Oct-20
PAbowhunter1064 07-Oct-20
Patdel 07-Oct-20
Rut Nut 14-Oct-20
05-Oct-20
First week of November (Full Moon) or second week. I hunt in 5D/C and right now I put in for first full week.

05-Oct-20
I would take the first week of November. Research shows the moon has no effect on deer movement.

https://www.deer.psu.edu/wandering-in-the-moonlight/

05-Oct-20
Second week. I usually see not much going on yet the first week. This is in MA but I’m guessing same as in PA.

05-Oct-20
I know ur not in bear country, i would pick Saturday the 7th to Sunday the 15th, that be the week i would pick. Now for me it most likely going to be Saturday October 31 to Saturday November 7th. Thats only because of bear. I saw 5 bear last archery season. Ed

05-Oct-20
First week of Nov has been good for me the last two years.

05-Oct-20
I'm taking both.

05-Oct-20
If you don’t have to decide now wait and see what the weather is like closer to the dates you can hunt.

05-Oct-20
First week of November... My vacation begins October 29 and ends November 10th...

06-Oct-20
2nd week!

06-Oct-20
I'd take the first week in November. Good luck and safe hunting which ever week you decide!

06-Oct-20
Depends what state you are going to hunt on your vacation...

06-Oct-20
"Depends what state you are going to hunt on your vacation... "

I think the title of this thread gave that away.

06-Oct-20
Firearms season doesn't start until the Saturday after Thanksgiving in PA. Some WMU's in PA you can archery hunt right up to the day before firearms season starts. I have had most of my bow hunting success the last 2 weeks in October in PA but that's just me. My hunting time is limited due to work so I just try to get out every chance I get.

06-Oct-20
LostNwoods I’ll be down there second week of November and then the second week of rifle (doe and buck season). I tend to find the area I’m in is a little slower during the first week. However my buddy slammed a big wide 7 Saturday down there.

06-Oct-20
This is always the big decision every year. I usually take the first week, but this year since we have an extra week of Archery and Nov 11th is a holiday, I took the 12th and 13th off and only have to take 2 days off to hunt 5 days in a row!(can hunt Sunday the 15th this year)

06-Oct-20
Hit it right on the head rut nut! Where in PA are you?

06-Oct-20
I’m in the Poconos but also hunt out in Western Pa on my buddy’s farm and also down in the Lehigh Valley with friends. This year I have four 5C tags, two 3D tags and one 2D tag................... ;-)

06-Oct-20
Not in PA (Nebraska) but having the same dilemma, 19-23rd is good moon phase and sure to be less pressure, 26-30th bad moon phase and increase in pressure but historically good and everything after should be great rut hunting but highest increase in hunting pressure. interested in everyones thoughts on this thread.

06-Oct-20

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
October 3rd!!! :)

06-Oct-20
Jeeze! I got 3 for 3C! Plus my buck tag. Hoping to get the buck in archery. Gets tough during gun. Even with limited pressure where I am

06-Oct-20
You ruined your season Josh! Now what you gonna do when the Rut kicks in?! ;-)

Nick- I like to be able to take a doe wherever I hunt. I’ll be lucky to fill 3 or4 of those doe tags, but like to have the option if more opportunities are presented.

06-Oct-20
I did ruin my season, Perry! Now it’s up to my dad and Katie to get their buck! I’ll play guide and babysitter during November. In all seriousness, make sure your in a tree on November 7th, no matter where you hunt! Good luck folks, and may your arrow find it’s mark!

06-Oct-20
Perry, we got a few pretty solid spots at least to fill doe tags. There’s buck, but harder to come by the second week. And we keep an 8 pt restriction....however the last 2 years there’s a huge 5 pointer walking around. Big forks on both sides and usually just one brow that’s like 2 inches. So if he shows up this year he’s on the menu. Get the 5 point genes outta the farm haha!

06-Oct-20
How many if you actually factor in bear hunting into your decision on time off?

07-Oct-20
I 100 percent feel moon phase has no effect on the timing of the rut but I believe it does effect deer movement. If you choose the first week of November make sure you are in your stand during the mid day from like 10 to 2. This last week with the full moon the deer moved a ton during mid day. Than went back to bed around 4pm and did not move again until right before dark. Shawn

07-Oct-20
I kinda factor in bear hunting when I plan my vacation, but I see most of them before or after the season. I'll probably split up my week this year and take a couple days the last week in Oct, one the first week of Nov. and then the 2 days the second week in Nov.

I LOVE unique rack bucks Nick- I'd be huntin' hard for that 5 pt! ;-)

Stick- I think you nailed it! Katie's gonna whack a monster in the RUT this year while josh is changing dirty diapers! : )

07-Oct-20
rut nut- Oh I see him yearly. Same field. Always right at last light. He steps out this year the 6.5 creedmore will be barking. Usually don’t get many buck chances during bow. Usually fill that tag in rifle if I’m lucky

07-Oct-20
I always take the last week of October thru 1st week of November. They're still hittin scrapes then but I hunt in north central mountains in Tioga. Been getting a bear tag last few years.

07-Oct-20
Leave it to Rut & Stick to really take the wind out of a fella’s sail....now I know why Katie was so happy I got a buck early! I didn’t think about spending the rut watching Baby Shark over, and over, and over.....

07-Oct-20
If possible try to put it off till the last minute. Watch the weather and pick the cooler week.

14-Oct-20
LMBO Josh! : )

Think I decided.........................................taking OFF 10/29 and 10/30 and 11/12 and 11/13. Might add 11/3 if weather looks good.

• Sitka Gear