Cornpone 19-Oct-20
Traveler 19-Oct-20
wyelkhunter 19-Oct-20
Treeline 19-Oct-20
wooddamon1 20-Oct-20
Korey Wolfe 20-Oct-20
Treeline 20-Oct-20
05-Oct-20
Which one of these three is the best one and user friendly. Any Pros and Cons?

07-Oct-20
There's also a newer one I recently heard about Scouttohunt. I began another thread questioning the security of waypoint data since Scouttohunt touts total security encryption of data even from their own employees, which made me wonder about all of the products.

07-Oct-20
used onx on this years elk hunt, all I can say is wow!

11-Oct-20
I have only used OnX but I am very happy with it.

11-Oct-20
I’ve only used onx and it’s really glitchy. Not super happy with it. Looking at making a switch.

11-Oct-20
GAIA GPS has much better imagery than OnX, I have both and it is not close. All have their strengths. I have Basemap, OnX and GAIA GPS. Everyone that I have shown GAIA to, has bought it. Also, it is a LOT cheaper than OnX for covering all of the US. Good luck, PM me is you want to visit more, happy to help as I have done this for many years.

11-Oct-20
Wyelk, thoughts on base camp vs Gaia?

11-Oct-20
All I have is onX and use it a lot. Very happy with it.

11-Oct-20
Ucsdryder, Gaia is a lot better when I have to use in in airplane mode, while I am in the mountains. It loads faster, map features are easier to use, etc... than Basemap. Basemap seems good when I have really good phone service, but not in the mountains where I hunt. Hope that helps, happy to visit more....

11-Oct-20
Property ownership isn’t up to date on OnX. Some are years out of date. Not sure why. I have contacted them and still it hasn’t been updated.

11-Oct-20
Another plug I will give for GAIA is the size of the files when you download Offline maps. OnX files are much larger, Basemap is ok, not great, but GAIA is easy and the files do not overload your phone. All great tools to use, some just work better than others....

11-Oct-20
Property ownership isn’t up to date on OnX. Some are years out of date. Not sure why. I have contacted them and still it hasn’t been updated.

11-Oct-20
I still prefer OnX over BaseMap in terms of user-friendliness. BaseMap is more affordable and I’m sure is great if you’re patient enough to figure it out but I haven’t seen enough benefit for me to make the switch over full time. I picked up a year membership for something like $18 but I’m not sure id pay the full price for it.

12-Oct-20
First time OnX user this year. Thoroughly satisfied and impressed.

12-Oct-20
wyelkhunter - does GAIA show property ownership info and show public lands? Their website is less than revealing about the features.

Thank you for suggesting it - I have not seen it before.

13-Oct-20
Candor, Gaia has the layers you are asking about. It has lots of available layers. Hunting, ownership, public, nautical, aviation, geological. More than we will ever use for hunting. You can download a free version to see it but won't give you access to everything. But when I had just the free version I contacted them and told them I was considering the premium version. They gave me 30 days free to try the premium.

Only dislikes for me are the imagery is not as crisp as OnX when viewed on my iphone and the "satellite with labels" imagery, which is the layer I like, is at least a 4 year old view.

13-Oct-20
Jethro - Thank you for clarifying.

13-Oct-20
Candor, Jethro explained it well, all the layers you can possibly want are there. When I use GAIA on the mountains where I do not have service, my imagery is better than OnX, but if I have cell service, OnX seems clearer. I cannot explain that, only what I have seen when I use it on the mountains.

One other feature I really like about GAIA is the use of folders. I can create a folder for a particular elk area, or deer area, etc... and put all of my downloaded maps in that folder, all of my tracks, etc... relating to that hunt. I can keep track of all of them easier. I can then send a track to a fellow hunter who can follow my footsteps exactly even though he has not been there. My group of friends use this a lot. If you hunt different states, and species, the folders are great.

Good luck

14-Oct-20
Anyone ever try Hundstand?

18-Oct-20
Just downloaded GAIA on the phone. Seems to be very user friendly, lots of great layers, and more information than OnX for a lot better price. The property ownership is more up to date than OnX.

19-Oct-20
I'd like to hear BowFin's take on this.

19-Oct-20
I have to say correct for the response above of property ownership. Goofed me up last night trying to go into an open public chunk of property. Onx did not match the tax record and MFL property's owner. So, I did not go in till I found out exactly who owned it. Onx was wrong.

19-Oct-20
Gaia paid version. No complaints.

I do use the freebie Huntstand for scent cone however.

19-Oct-20
I have used OnX and Gaia and prefer Gaia. Plus it is significantly less expensive. I really enjoy how easy it is to switch between layers. and/ or adjust overlays

19-Oct-20
I have been using GAIA for many years and there was an update on their imagery that I had not loaded. Did that a few days ago and the imagery is the same as OnX, and as everyone has said, a lot less expensive. Ownership is great.

The other GREAT feature GAIA has is driving directions. There is also a "guide me" that gives you a straight line to your destination. However if there are roads and you need driving directions, GAIA works great, OnX and Basemap do not have that feature. I used that in KS last year getting to various treestands in the dark and the directions were awesome.

19-Oct-20
I really think I am going to like GAIA...

20-Oct-20
I've been mostly satisfied with onX, but feel some of the lines are off. What are you guys paying for GAIA?

20-Oct-20
Does GAIA have the layers for hunting units and a layer for various species? OnX has that feature which is essential for hunting Wyoming.

Korey

20-Oct-20
Yes, for all states. Wyoming has all the different units for all the different species. Pretty cool.

For guys that hunt a lot of different states, this is a great feature. Also can pull in property ownership for different states. Don’t have to buy each state differently.

• Sitka Gear