butcherboy 21-Jul-21
Shiloh 21-Jul-21
rock50 21-Jul-21
t-roy 21-Jul-21
t-roy 21-Jul-21
butcherboy 21-Jul-21
t-roy 21-Jul-21
06-Oct-20
I didn’t want to hijack the other “processing” thread. I do most of my own butchering, grinding, packaging, etc. All but making sticks or salami. I’m in the process of building a heated shop, and am looking for possible ideas or suggestions for things to possibly incorporate into the work/butchering area.

I’ll have an electric hoist, and a hanging rail, that will hold up to 4 deer. The bench/workstation area is in flux right now. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

06-Oct-20
I wonder if making something like those fish cleaning tables with a hole to just push the "unwanted" debris into a bucket below?

I would think "butherboy" would be a good one to chime in on this.

07-Oct-20
Hey Troy. Back in the day, we butchered on stainless steel tables with 12" of poly cutting board at the front. That's really all the actual cutting surface one needs. The board just lifted off for easy cleaning. Some of the stainless steel tops were drilled for mounting small equipment...such as tenderizers.

I'm not sure if that type of table is still available today though? Seems like everything I see these days has a complete poly top. Wish I had room in the garage for such a table. As it is, I just use a three foot section of that 12" poly board on my work bench....or wherever I'm processing. Have poly board - Will travel!

07-Oct-20
Did you put a drain in the floor?

07-Oct-20
I would make sure you have plenty of parking and hanging space for guests who may want to borrow your facilities.

...and a beer fridge. ;-)

07-Oct-20
Put some thought into good lighting. The best lighting arrangement in a space casts no shadows.

07-Oct-20
Look on Craigslist in the restaurant equipment and get a stainless ateel table cheap, easy clean up .

07-Oct-20
High ceilings is key, but I'm sure you already have that built in. A bar or at least capabilities would be a must ;) Maybe leave access through the wall for a small chimney you could hook up to a smoker and have the smoker inside. Nothing better than cutting while you have meat going on the grill. A smoker inside would be nice for winters. Not sure how close it is to the house.

07-Oct-20
We just finished building our house. I wanted our garage to also be something functional for cleaning fish and processing deer. Here’s what we did. I’ve got multiple stainless tables - smallest is a 4’ and largest is a 10’. We’ve also got 15 LED light fixtures and 4 oversized windows to ensure plenty of light. Lastly I wanted a functioning sink so there was no additional need to “finish up” in the kitchen. 1. Stainless tables 2. Great Lighting 3. Functioning sink with hot water 4.Get some of the exercising high density floor mats. They really help with leg and lower back pain/fatigue from prolonged standing.

07-Oct-20
Thanks for the ideas, so far, guys.

Yes, I did put a floor drain in, and I will also have a sink with hot and cold water available, but the sink won’t be located in the immediate work station area. I will most likely, run a water line overhead from the source, over to the work area, (approximately 30’ away) instead of having to string a hose out for cleanup. I also plan on being able to switch from hot to cold on that line through a manifold. I’ll definitely have a fridge as well. Might steal Ziek’s hanging bar idea from the other thread, for the fridge as well. Good lighting is definitely a priority, too. I’ve got a couple of 24”x36”X2” poly cutting boards that work great. I’ll have to keep an eye out for a stainless steel top. Not a bad idea about the hole in the table for scraps, either.

I’ll have to decline on the coffee/cordial drink holders, though. It keeps your mind sharp trying remember where you set your beer down (or if this one is your’s or your buddy’s)! Nick....I’ve got plenty of parking available, plus I’m putting in a window facing the driveway, so we can see who’s coming. Hopefully we can keep the riffraff to a minimum that way.

07-Oct-20
I’ve never done much smoking stuff (yet) The wife is really getting into using her new Traeger grill now, but being able to do it inside is definitely something to consider as well. The ceiling is 14’ high. The shop is approximately 125 yards from the house.

I’ve already got the exercise floor mats.

07-Oct-20
The only thing I can think of that I might want is to extend your hanging rail out a door so you could skin and wash a deer outside. If I was going that far I’d add a little walk in cooler at the other end of my rail. ;) I am considering adding on a little cooler to my shop so I can butcher my own beef as well as deer.

07-Oct-20
Check your local scrap yard. Mine has stainless steel tables of all sizes all of the time. A few bucks more than the scrap value and they are happy. If they don't have any at the moment, leave your number. I go by mine almost daily and they always have a bunch on the stainless pile.

07-Oct-20
Definitely need a stainless steel table. I would use that for packaging and invest in a separate poly top table for processing. Extend your rail outside for skinning and washing carcasses. You would need double doors with a small cutout for the rail then hang plastic curtain strips to keep insects out when the doors are open.

If only doing deer then keep the rail height about 8-9 feet. Anything bigger will be fine as quarters. If you skin and hang the animal outside then your hoist needs to be set up in a way to transfer to your hanging rail. Build a small cooler in the shop with the rail running right into it. You don’t want to use the hoist on the same rail that runs into your cooler unless you use a second hoist inside separate from the rail. That hoist moves back and forth towards the rail and should be about 3 feet higher. This hoist can also be stationary but it needs to be close to the rail so you can swing the carcass over and above the rail then lower it down. It’s a good way to get the carcass off the rail too. With the right height, you can pull quarters off the carcass while it’s hanging, remove backstrap, tenderloin, then the rib cage. Only thing to lift off would be the hind quarters.

Don’t really need a table with a hole in it for waste. Just losing table use. Put a 55 gallon barrel with a contractor bag inside next to you and just throw the waste in there. Put a bungee cord around the rim or the weight of the waste will pull your bag right into the barrel.

Get a double or 3 compartment sink for washing knives, totes, grinder parts, etc.

Look for auctions for used meat processing tables with poly tops and stainless steel tables. Make sure and have good knives, sharpening stones, and steels. Boning hook and get a knife scabbard. It’s easy to have an accident with knives laying on the table.

Sorry this is long. I could go on for a while but I think this will give you a pretty good idea. It’s a lot but not difficult to set up and you will have a nice shop!

07-Oct-20

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
We clean the drain at the end of the hunting/butchering season.
rock50's embedded Photo
We clean the drain at the end of the hunting/butchering season.
In 2006 we built a 40' X 80' shed and put a butcher shop across the front 24'. The butcher room is 24' X 32' and the remaining 8' is a mechanical room and a walk in 8' X 8' cooler with a 10' ceiling. The rail extends from just inside the overhead door to inside the cooler where it loops around inside the cooler to allow us to hang up to 18 deer.

We have a refrigerator, stove, double sink, and a deep sink

My sons are contractors and did a lot of work inside a processing plant where we were able to buy their old stainless tables with poly tops. We took one section of poly out and put maple boards in it to mount the stuffer. The processing plant also sold us stainless portable sinks (6' long) that are useful for grinding into and mixing sausage.

By hinging tables to the wall we gained a lot of space when they fold out of the way. We also put a stainless steel table top on kitchen cabinets on a rolling frame, provides a lot of portable storage and workspace for vacuum packing meat.

I told my sons the shed is paid for in what we saved in processing since 2006. Last year we did 24 deer, 5 elk, and 3 hogs. That's our usual numbers except for the elk, it's usually just 1 or 2 (if we're lucky).

Future plans include building a block smokehouse outside the shed.

07-Oct-20
Impressive Rock!

07-Oct-20
From rock’s pictures this is pretty dang close to what I was talking about. Pretty nice set up for a non commercial operation.

The only thing I would do differently is either have double doors for the outside door with the rail extending outside. Or, a sliding door on tracks for the door to slide open on the outside with the rail extending out. Another option most don’t think about is adding a switch or two here and there on the rail. This would allow having multiple rails going different directions. One rail coming in with a switch to turn it into the cooler. Comes out of the cooler and flip the switch to go onto another rail that could run straight by a cutting table. Could also add multiple rails and switches in the cooler if you really wanted to be fancy. Lol

07-Oct-20

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
We have one switch on the rail, you can see it in the upper left corner of the fourth picture on my first post.

An additional upgrade is a power stuffer. Everyone is wore out after cranking for several hours.

07-Oct-20

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Agree with butcherboy's suggestion, it would be nice to have the rail go outside. However, we can back a pickup into the shop to get under the rail.

Most of our deer are taken from the property where the shed is located. We usually don't field dress the deer, we haul it in with quad & trailer or with the tractor bucket. The guts can be dropped into a tub while the deer is on the rail, it's a whole lot cleaner, and we can be at the shed within minutes so we don't think quality suffers.

07-Oct-20

rock50's embedded Photo
742# of boned out elk
rock50's embedded Photo
742# of boned out elk
One more post and I'll stop.............

I added a trench drain to the cooler, much better than the 6" circle drain.

Also the walls behind the hanging tables and inside the cooler are covered with FRP. Makes cleanup easy.

07-Oct-20
T-Roy,

The invite to come hunt whitetails on your land is enough. You don’t need to build a butcher shop for me. :)

JK

07-Oct-20
Yep, I saw your switch and that’s what reminded me to mention it for those who are wanting to build themselves a processing room.

Another suggestion would be to to skin the back legs down to below the tendon, break the legs off and then hang it on the gambrel. Skin it all the way down then eviscerate after the hide is off. Makes skinning the belly and flank a little easier if done before opening the belly. That’s just how we do domestic animals and it keeps everything cleaner.

You definitely have a nice processing shop and an electric stuffer is the way to go. Next you will be wanting a bigger grinder! Lol if you did get one I would recommend a mixer/grinder. My stuffer only holds 40 lbs and we do about 400-1,000 lbs in a day. We are looking at getting a vacuum stuffer that will hold 150-200 lbs at a time.

08-Oct-20
Very cool thread!

08-Oct-20
Very nice setup Rock, you and the boys have it going on !!! Good to see, some excellent ideas mentioned...

08-Oct-20
Rock50: So cool and love the pic with the whole family involved. C

08-Oct-20
Very nice!! When the work is done it doubles as a gathering place for family and friends, with plenty of good food and hospitality. Good luck this fall Mark!!

08-Oct-20
Holy smoke, Rock! You took it to a whole other level! The outside rail is a good idea, but not really practical in my circumstance. I’ll probably only butcher 5-10 deer total, between me and friends, plus other animals occasionally.

Thanks guys! Lots of great ideas, so far. Keep em coming!

08-Oct-20
I was at Marks place a few years back. It was impressive to see the entire family working together in the shop. His setup is amazing!

08-Oct-20
We're hoping to hang a buck and doe for Dennis here in the near future!

I think the best part of getting this shop built was my wife's happiness in getting it out of the garage and basement kitchen where we did all the cleanup.

16-Jan-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Last Saturday was butcher day. We ground 1,204 lbs of pork, deer, and elk. We added a third stuffer this year (motorized) but still could not keep up with the grinder.

We have a few ideas to speed things up next year.

16-Jan-21
I got 4 Iowa preference points and a stainless table T-Roy. I can bring it next November. I know you don’t know me, but I’m a pretty good guy I promise. The table is 9’ long in case you are interested;)

16-Jan-21
Impressive butchering station.

18-Jan-21
"I also plan on being able to switch from hot to cold on that line through a manifold."

Be certain you install a check valve in each line, or you will have unwanted mixing problems upstream.

20-Jul-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
We had a chance to process something different in the butcher shop this spring.

On a Saturday morning in April, I was fishing in our pond with 4 grandsons when I got a phone call from an acquaintance of ours. His son in law is raising bison, and had an issue with two young bulls that escaped, and would not go back in with the others. Seven bison escaped, but these young bulls would not be herded back or be lured with feed. He even had three horsemen spend 2 1/2 hours trying to round them up, but they could not get them closer than 1/2 mile from the pen.

After 2 weeks of roaming up to 10 miles each way from his farm, the sheriff, state police, and county animal control said that's it, you have to kill them if you cant catch them. His plan was to shoot them and bury them with the backhoe, since the carcasses cannot be taken to a locker plant, they have to be killed on site to be processed in the plant. He was facing a several thousand dollar loss.

He was talking to his father in law about his dilemma, who said he thought we had a cooler and could maybe help him out. The son in law lives about 60 miles away, I had never met him before. When the son in law then called me I said we had never done something like that, but would be willing to help him out, go ahead and kill them and bring them to us.

He sent a few pics before hitting the road.

20-Jul-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo

20-Jul-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
While he was driving I made a few calls to my sons, sons in law, and grandsons.........everyone was available to help.

We started skinning the legs out on the trailer, and then raised them with the skid steer as needed until down to the skull.

20-Jul-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
we used the tractor loader bucket to catch the guts.

Trevor held on to Tyler's belt so he didn't fall into the carcass as he cut the brisket.

20-Jul-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
The rail isn't high enough for a whole side, so cut them and hung the quarters.

20-Jul-21

rock50's embedded Photo
rock50's embedded Photo
Calvin (bison rancher) was generous and gave us a half for saving the carcasses from burial.

After doing the bison, my sons think we should kill our own beef, so we bought a couple saws (band saw and splitting saw) and are ramping up for late next fall when the calves are finished.

Trevor is channeling his Lt Dunbar from Dances with Wolves.

20-Jul-21
Now that’s some meat!

20-Jul-21
Well done Mark…

20-Jul-21
Nice job! I've done my fair share of buffalo and vowed to never do them again. They simply tear everything up. All the dirt and rocks in their hair will wreak havoc on a sharp knife, not to mention that coarse hair. I have a few suggestions for you to make things easier for since you plan on doing more animals and sounds like you may be considering expanding your operation. Invest in a good skinning cradle or make one for beef and one for hogs. Split the brisket while it's on the cradle after skinning but don't open the belly. You can do that when its in the air by making a small slit up close to the hind legs when you pull the bung hole through the pelvis. turn your knife around with the end of the handle facing in and blade down and run it straight down the belly opening it. Pull the guts out into your tractor bucket, a 50 gallon plastic barrel, or invest in a used gut cart. Before doing all this, finish pulling the hide off. Cutting the legs off first will keep any dirt and manure from dropping onto the carcass from above.

Just some suggestions to help you out. Always be thinking of better ways to make your system work the best. You will know what works best for you. Be careful going down the rabbit hole or you will end up starting a small commercial shop just to pay for your equipment you buy. LOL! Thats how we started back in the late 80's and then started the business in 91 doing wild game and a few farm kill for people. We now have a 6,000 sq ft commercial plant and expanding to 10,000 sq ft soon. Good job and keep expanding and adding new things. If you have any questions or ideas I will be more than happy to help out. Good Luck!

20-Jul-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
From the looks of the pic of the carcass and the boys standing on the loader bucket…looks like you made a good shot on him! Expandable? ;-)

Did you guys have to high power them from a good distance, in order to put them down?

Glad you brought this thread back up, Rock. A little update on my progress…or lack thereof. The shell is basically finished, other than a few trim pieces to do. Everything should have been done by mid November. The guy that was supposed to do the building, totally dropped the ball and would never show up, so a good friend and I did basically 99% of it ourselves last winter. My other buddy will be here tomorrow, and we will get all of the wiring run this week, and the walls should get spray foamed in a few weeks. Hopefully, OSB prices will come down some by late summer as well. I’ve got all of the bracing for the hanging rail and hoist in place. All that I will need to do is drill the holes through the ceiling steel for the allthread, that the rails and hoist will be mounted with.

20-Jul-21
“Be careful going down that rabbit hole”

Butcherboy……that’s how it happens with food plotting, too!

21-Jul-21
T-roy, My suggestion would be to have your rail system independently supported from the ceiling by using metal posts anchored to the concrete with Ibeams welded on top of the posts. Weld your hangers to the I-beam and then the rail bolts onto the hangers. This will support a huge amount of weight and much stronger than the all thread.

Also, you mentioned osb? Are you putting that on the inside? If so, make sure to cover it with some kind of washable surface and put in a washable hanging tile ceiling. Looks like it’s going to be a nice shop for you!

21-Jul-21
Meant to say to have the rail supported by the beams and not connected to the ceiling.

21-Jul-21
I was going to add that you might want to glue FRP to the OSB and it looks like butcherboy agrees. Don't want that OSB getting wet a lot over time.

21-Jul-21
Chad, thanks for the offer of help/advice.

I agree about the hide/hair on the bison.................it was a challenge keeping a sharp blade during the skinning.

I also agree about using a skinning cradle, especially when we do a steer. I skinned them on the ground before, using concrete blocks to hold it in place, that really doesn't work very well.

For hogs, we want to get set up to scald/scrape so we can make our own liverwurst, using all the parts of the hog like my grandfathers did. Nothing goes with a breakfast of hash browns and over easy eggs like homemade liverwurst!

As Shiloh said, FRP over the OSB is a must, cleanup is a breeze.

No way we will start a commercial operation, even though we could be booked completely full starting the first week the doors would be opened. Slaughter dates are still a year out for the few processors that are around here. I'm way too old to think of starting a venture like that. :)

21-Jul-21
Thanks again, guys. There most likely, won’t be more than 3 deer hanging on the rail at any one time, so I’m not overly concerned about the weight bearing issue. Rafters are 2’ on center, and the rail will be mounted relatively close the wall vs out in the middle of the rafters. I laid a 12’+ 2x6 flat, on top of the rafters, that I’ll drill holes through, to mount the railing to, which should help to spread the weight evenly across those rafters, plus a separate shorter 2x6 to do the same on the winch. I’m using 5/8” allthread and there will be 4 support brackets on the 10’ rail, so it will be suspended roughly 6” from each end and approximately every 34” between the middle brackets. I’m definitely planning on using FRP on the walls in this area, as well. I’ll also add a much longer cord to the electric winch controls. I don’t know why they put such short cords on these electric winches. I replaced the cord on the winch in my old shed, and it makes it so much nicer to run the controls that way.

21-Jul-21

21-Jul-21
If you won’t have more than a few deer on it at a time then the support you have already planned out will be just fine. I use a 2 ton hoist on my kill floor that rolls back and forth on a 6” Ibeam. I have to have that though to handle beef. Lol I use a smaller hoist that runs around a pulley system when I break a front quarter off to lower onto the low rail. Then use it to take the hind quarter off the high rail down to the low rail.

I almost went the route of scalding hogs a few years ago but found out that I would need a few pieces of equipment to skin the rind off the bacon, hams, loins, shoulders when processing. It would speed me quite a bit on the slaughter side but slow me down on the processing. I was going to buy a scalder and dehairing tank. We can skin pretty fast so we just stick with that. Scalding a few hogs a year for yourself wouldn’t be bad at all. We are booked solid right now through January and coming into fair season. There’s going to be a lot of upset people that didn’t book an appointment.

We also quite processing wild game last year so I’m happy about that!

21-Jul-21
Yeah, I was a little concerned about possible weight issues, but my buddy Lee, who is a framing carpenter, and who I helped build the shed, assured me weight wouldn’t be an issue, especially with the rafters being 2’ on center. I did rig up a removable support pole out of 2” electrical conduit, in my old shed, to help carry the weight on the rafter that the winch was mounted to.

Good to hear that you still have plenty of work, even without having to do wild game, which sounds like is a blessing for you! Long wait times to get beef/hogs/sheep/etc processed here, as well.

• Sitka Gear