35-Acre 14-Oct-20
LINK 15-Oct-20
35-Acre 15-Oct-20
LINK 15-Oct-20
BigSkyHntr 15-Oct-20
35-Acre 19-Oct-20
JL 19-Oct-20
14-Oct-20
I would like to purchase a video camera to video my kids hunts. The cell phone works but I would like something that could better preserve the memories. What do you guys recommend for under $300? You can throw out more expensive recommendations for others that might be interested but I’m not looking to break the bank here.

14-Oct-20
You might be able to find a use dslr and entry level 70-300 mm that would give you good zoom and also take so good photos along with video. I been doing some filming with my Canon 90d and 70-200 2.8 and it takes great video that a little more than you want to pay. But if you watch craigslist not sure what the say 70d selling for used but if you could pick up a body that will take good video bet there a lot of lens choices you could pick up for around $100 that would work well. Nice thing about the DSLRs is can add lens if you really get into it.

14-Oct-20

midwest's Link
Panasonic HC-V180K

This is what the Solvid guys are using and I just received one for my birthday.

14-Oct-20
A DSLR is nice, but unless you really enjoy the photography side of it, zooming in and out with a camera lens is a PITA, and leads to jerky zooming footage if you're not careful. Go with a dedicated video camera if that's what your primary focus is.

14-Oct-20
I use the g40 from Canon. Fantastic everything. You can buy them refurbished at half price on the internet

14-Oct-20
I second the G40, great camera. Cory, I have a couple of Canon HV20's that I don't use anymore...they take mini-DV tapes. I'd give you one if you want it, just shoot me a PM if interested. Kyle

14-Oct-20

drslyr's Link
Yes the HFG series cannons are awesome and can be bought refurbished for half the price. Here's a video shot with a HFG30

14-Oct-20
I just picked up a Campark 4k 20MP Action Camera (UHD 4K). It gets great reviews on Amazon. It's like $50. It has a waterproof case, takes photos and video.

Comes with many different options for connecting it to other stuff.

Basically it's a lesser version of a GoPro but Youtube tutorials/Reviews show a sound working product.

15-Oct-20
Thanks guys I’ll look into these.

15-Oct-20

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo
Well, I got that camera I mentioned above today. 1 day from Amazon. I am shocked at the quality and overwhelmed (happily) by the options provided for connecting it to things.

I slipped an SD card into it. Set it up to default to slo-mo 1080p. I plan to use the bicycle attachment and fit it to my stabilizer. Going to shoot with it tonight when I get to camp.

Overall it seems like it won't impact my setup an it's easy to turn on and get filming.

15-Oct-20
35. Post some video up and review your cam on here after you’ve used it for awhile. Im not really looking for an action camera but for $50 I might need that too, lol.

15-Oct-20
I have a Panasonic camcorder very similar to Midwest’s link except mine has a 90X zoom which is awesome! Other than just videoing I use it quite a bit instead of a spotting scope, works great and much lighter!

19-Oct-20

35-Acre's embedded Photo
35-Acre's embedded Photo

35-Acre's Link
Link - this is an action camera by what I think that means - I'm not exactly sure what you mean. But if you're looking for a GoPro style camera this is one.

I got to playing with it over the weekend. I decided that the filming bow shots, it is best set to 720P with 120fps (frames per second). This should give me the best options for slowing down the video and seeing a deer's reaction to a shot. Maybe even catching an arrow in flight. I was a bit rushed getting this setup and getting out hunting so I shot a few times under different settings and I was just formatting the SD (not even thinking of saving the files for later).

It has 4K @30fps, 2.7K@30, 1080p@60, 1080p@30 and 720p@120. I opted for 720P with 120fps which is a lower resolution in order to have more frames per second to MAYBE see arrow flight. I didn't save a recording with this option (crap!). My plan is to use an SD reader and view the video on my phone slowing the video down to see arrow impact (maybe) and deer reaction after a shot.

I ended up with better settings than what I have in this video. I set the image stabilization (on) and do my best to angle the camera so that it will have the target in view. I did notice after a couple of shots at my target that the camera angle changed (upward). That should NOT be a problem in the woods but it's something I saw. Attaching it to my stabilizer was easy and the camera has an "upside down mode" for just this type of attachment. Of course that means all of the buttons on the side and front are now in a different place but I used the wrist strap buttons to record and the button on the front to turn it on (you have to hold it down for like 2 seconds). NOTE: There are no touch screen options on the camera that I have.

I've never done a youtube upload so I gave it a shot here (it's worth noting Youtube players don't zoom as well - my purposes are to use an SD reader on my phone. Using MX player allows me to slow the video speed down to like 10% and zoom in). This video is a single arrow, so the video is short. As I mentioned, I was trying to get out to the woods. The file sizes when recorded were not huge for what i'm using this for. I think about 90 seconds was 150MB if I recall.

NOTE: This video was likely a 720p shot in slo-mo but at 60fps without Image stabilization. So it' s a little jerky. Sorry I don't recall how I actually had this setup. I also turned the date/time stamp off later. I should have used a lighted knock too. I hit just to the left of the center dot. You can see the arrow at the top of the screen before I draw back.

19-Oct-20
I have been using a Sony HDR-CX130 for quite a few years. You can get them cheap on EBay now. It's small and takes great HD vids plus it has a great zoom. This is a doe I got back on the 10th. It was getting dark so the lighting is off a tad.

• Sitka Gear