jstephens61 22-Oct-20
sticksender 22-Oct-20
Milhouse 23-Oct-20
12yards 23-Oct-20
Tobpitbull 24-Oct-20
jstephens61 24-Oct-20
35-Acre 26-Oct-20
14-Oct-20
A guy at work gave me one of these because he hated it. I tried it and I hate it too.

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Took me 20 minutes to get about 5 feet up a tree. Sweating like a fiend and making all kinds of racket. I can't even imagine trying it in the dark.

I really like the idea of using that thing and staying mobile, but it just seems like a giant pain in the ass.

Any pointers? I'm about ready to throw it in the scrap metal dumpster at work. Never used a climber before.

14-Oct-20
I've had the original hand climber, (which operates the same as the Assault) for many years and really like it for many reasons. There is definitely a technique, but once mastered, you go up quick and and quiet.

But since you hate it and I love it, we can help each other out. Let the record show that I asked first.

14-Oct-20
Ambush, do you have to put it on kind of loose or something? I can barely get the bottom to move with my feet. I just think I'm not doing something right.

14-Oct-20
Depending on the taper, I put it on fairly tilted, but still moveable. It's very handy if you can start high enough to get past that initial bulge of the trunk. I stand near the front (farthest edge from the tree) of the platform with the seat section tilted up slightly. The seat will be just a bit higher them my elbows when held against my side. I put my forearms on the seat and hands gripping the belt tubes. While putting weight on my arms, I slide both feet into the vee made by the platform and belt tube. Do a crunch, pulling the platform up. You have to tilt the platform with ankle movement to get the belt to clear the trunk. Put one foot back to the front edge of the platform then the other. Repeat. Make sure you have the straps connecting seat and platform attached!

You'll soon learn to gauge how much tilt to start with on given trees so your platform is level or very slightly tilted up when you get up. The seat can be adjusted at any time and you can also adjust the platform if you're agile.

Youtube is your friend in this case. I'm now sixty seven years old and have abbs of flab but I don't get lathered up climbing. You'll do fine, I'm sure. But, if you still hate it........

14-Oct-20
Diameter of tree and bark type can make a big difference... don't give up that easy your a bowhunter remember; try on several trees and you can always you tube it!

15-Oct-20
Pat,

I have the hand climber and love it, but made a slight alteration that made all the difference for me. I added a strap through the platform that I slide the toes of my boots into. Then I use a bungee strap around my heels. This locks the platform onto my feet and makes the process of tilting the stand to go up or down the tree so much easier. Before this addition, I constantly felt like my feet were going to come out from under that bar across the back.

Once I am up where I want to hunt, I reach down to remove the bungee and slide my toes out of the strap. Cinch down the straps that lock the seat down and secure the stand and I am all set.

I will try to load some pictures later. Pete

15-Oct-20
You can buy the upper sit-style, flip-seat climbing section. It's easier to climb with.

15-Oct-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Does this climber have a rubberbelt that goes around the tree? My XOP does and I had trouble getting that thing to slide over rough cottonwood bark.

So I slid a piece of plastic irrigation pipe over part of the belt. Now it doesn’t hang up on anything.

15-Oct-20
Cnelk, yes it does, and thats a good idea. I'll give it a try. Thanks all.

15-Oct-20
Have never used a climber. Always seemed kind of dangerous. Might have to look into one. Could be interesting to be able to get up a tree without screwing in or strapping on steps.

15-Oct-20
Great tips above! I started using a Lone Wolf Assault hand climber this year after having various other climbers the last 36 years. I too was initially frustrated on my first couple practice runs but once I figured it out, I couldn't be happier. It is the quietest, safest and now easiest to use portable I've ever had. Youtube and practice are definitely your friends. Wild cherry trees or tree with similar rough bark can be a pain in the ass at first but once you figure it out even they aren't bad. Good luck and be safe!

15-Oct-20
I used a Lone Wolf for many years. It is small and I took it to Illinois to deer hunt and climbed a lot of trees with it. The newer ones probably have things my first one didn't have. The first time I climbed a tree I was up about 20 feet when the foot part went all the way to the bottom. Talk about a hard time getting down. Then I put a piece of parachute cord from the seat to the bottom so I could pull it back up. I also put a budgie cord behind my ankles and could climb like a champ. I still have it but don't use it any more since I mainly use ladder stands and ground blinds since I mainly hunt on my own property and can leave them in place. I am 78 years old and not as nimble as I once was.

15-Oct-20
The Lone Wolf Assault Hand Climber is my go-to stand. I've harvested a lot of deer out of it and have done many, many all-day sits in it. It's quiet, comfortable (I upgraded the seat cushion) and extremely easy to use. You likely just need a little bit of practice. I climb 25-30' in well under two minutes. It's extremely fast. I'm happier with it than any other stand on the market.

15-Oct-20
Ok, knock it off with all the endorsements, guys! Now he’s probably not going to send it to me for scrap metal price.

15-Oct-20
Toes down

15-Oct-20
I have used LW hand climbers no less than 60x a year for 20 years. Last year I got the assault. I love it. I'll climb any try or if tree of almost any thickness and really easily and quietly.

15-Oct-20
I don’t understand the positive reviews on this stand or guys that “swear by them”. I purchased one on two different occasions and sold it both times for the same reason. It isn’t easy at all to climb with and if you do manage to get up a tree after putting it on a steep enough angle good luck getting back down..been there. Just look at what some guys do just to use it - carry a step out, attach foot loops, buy different seats....buy a Summit and be done with it.

15-Oct-20
LW all the way for me. Hand climber that I do have the strap for which allows it to act like a sit n climb if I want. Best stand I have ever used. If you are fonna throw it out I will pay for the shipping to my house.

16-Oct-20
Yeah buy a summit if you want to make a ton of noise. I have both and my summit gets used once or twice a year and each time I use it I cuss at it and wonder why I even still own it!

19-Oct-20
LMAO at Ambush!

19-Oct-20
I've had a LW Alpha for quite a few years. I've had several other brands but abandoned them due to their weight or, particularly, their cumbersomeness. I've made a few mods to mine which make it more "user friendly" but, as long as I can still climb trees, I want no other.

19-Oct-20
I've had a lone wolf for over 20 years, you gotta kinda point your toes downward when you lift with your legs. I've never had a problem with it, but Mine is the original lone wolf like pictured above.

20-Oct-20
The only time I've seen anyone have a tough time climbing with them they put their toes under the crossbar and not in the corners under the braces

21-Oct-20
Anybody try to turn/modify a LW hand climber into a sit and climb type?

21-Oct-20
Skipmaster1, that is exactly what I was doing. Thanks everyone.

21-Oct-20
I just started using a Lone Wolf Assault hand climber this year. After my morning hunt this past Saturday I was having trouble getting one of the knobs that lock the foot rail in place to tighten. I assumed it was something simple (operator error) but couldn't figure it out. I sent them an email via their website and within an hour received an email back with detailed instructions on how to fix my issue along with a number to call and speak with someone directly to walk me through it if needed. I fixed the issue in about 5 seconds, didn't need to call. It's hard to get any customer service at times let alone GREAT customer service.

22-Oct-20
Ok.... thread hi jack time. I'm looking at picking up a climber, for a couple of reasons. The first being, I have a property I don't have to pack anything very far, and can have several trees "prepped " for a climber.... i.e., any limbs that may be an issue removed. There ain't many trees up here, and a lot of em aren't exactly climber friendly. Secondly, I have a hunt booked in Iowa for next fall, and while I'll still have to run it by my outfitter, I'm a little worried about one thing.... I'm left handed. I've tried to hunt stands set up for right handed people, and it can be nearly impossible. I have talked to him about that, and he says, I don't set stands specifically for right or left handed..... which I get, but if you're right handed, you probably rarely consider if a lefty could get a shot.

How does the sit and climb lone wolf compare to the assault? It looks more comfortable, and I do all day sits at times, and plan on it in Iowa. Also, for those that say the Summits are noisy.... do you have experience with the newer models that supposedly have foam or something in the tubing? I can get the Summits at cost.... gonna have to pay full boat retail for a lone wolf. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

22-Oct-20
Had my LW for 15+ years and I’m on my second Viper SD. Gave the first one to my son and this one is for sale. The Summit IMO is heavy, cumbersome and noisy. With the LW I can climb with my pack on, no way with the Viper. The LW is dead quiet hooking up and climbing, the Viper has that hollow tube sound if you tap it in any way. LW folds flat, so moving through the timber is a breeze. Viper sticks out over a foot. Hook your toes under the angle brace on the LW and climb, Viper, set over the bungee and put your foot under the plastic hook, get your foot situated and climb.

I started with a Baker, ya I’m that old, had a Loggy Bayou, a Ol’ Man, a API and a couple others that I don’t want to remember. For me, LW is the best I’ve ever had.

22-Oct-20
Milhouse, just a different top (seat) section. Just be sure the Sit & Climb you buy has the flip-down style seat. The old style seat that hangs by straps is notorious for being uncomfortable.

23-Oct-20
Thanks for the info. I will end up biting the bullet and going with the flip top model, with the assault style seat. Probably won't get it this fall anymore, but it's on the "list".....

23-Oct-20
I have a Summit Viper, and it is an amazingly comfy stand and an easy to use stand. But I rarely use it anymore. I feel like I'm carrying one of those huge folding aluminum lounges from back in the day on my back when I'm walking in or out with it. Just bulky, clanky and awkward to carry. I will have a LW Hand Climber someday.

24-Oct-20
I’m looking to purchase one... in great condition 812/584/27 nine three. Located in Indiana Dearborn county

24-Oct-20
A LW or Summit?

26-Oct-20
No joke. I've had the LW sit and climb for 20+ too.

I climbed a tree this past weekend, pulled up my bow and had a buck within 10 yards within 5 seconds. I point that out because he had to be walking in while I was going up the tree. There was absolutely no wind - super quiet woods and I didn't make a sound.

Now, I read some stuff about the Edmonton Bow Zone and the guy who guides there who goes out of his way to quiet his entire setup. I took a tip from that and have put hockey tape on all of the metal of the top portion of the LW. This way, if my carabiner hooking my harness to my safety rope touches the stand it doesn't make a sound. It also comes in handy as your bow and other stuff doesn't clang/ping when it really counts. Overall, It is by far the quietest stand you can buy in my opinion. I have a Summit in my shed that I have never used; my dad used it twice before he had to stop hunting.

CLIMBING TAKES PRACTICE. GO ON SOME TEST RUNS BEFORE HUNTING.

And once you get the hang of going up and down it's a cinch! I put my safety harness on under my jacket. When I get to the tree, I get the stand on the tree with some level of upward angle which depends on the tree and how high I'm going (this comes to you through time/experience). I then throw my safety rope around the tree with the prusic knot and climb on-board. Climbing into the stand is weird sometimes; I might have to do sort of a pull-up by elevating the hand climbing part high and then climb under it. or, I might have to get into it on my knees (which is uncomfortable for a minute) and sometimes everything works out and I can just get on easily from the uphill side of a tree. Once I'm on it, I clip my harness to the safety rope and move the safety rope up the tree. THEN I CLIMB UP. To do this, I raise the top portion of the stand to mid-chest-level. Then I lock my feet into the corners of the standing platform, lift my feet, point my toes down slightly and then bring my knees up all while straightening my arms to the of locking out my elbows. I raise the platform up with my legs until my arms are (elbows locked out) and the top portion to now at about my hips. One the platform part of the stand is where I want it, I point my toes upward to lock it in place. The whole upper body portion of the move is similar to using the arms of your office chair to lift your @ss up off the seat. The key to the platform piece is getting your feet under the little triangles on each side near the tree and angling the toes down then up while pulling your knees upward. Definitely hard to describe.

Something else to understand: you want to have the platform connected to the top portion to be safest. Honestly, I have never done this and am open to the shame you all cast on me for not doing it. By having it connected, the bottom can't fall down the tree if you're sitting. For me, I am so afraid of heights that I stand the whole time or at least always have 3 points of contact.

THE ONE DRAWBACK: I have had the top of the stand fall down to the platform! That scares the crap out of me. I much prefer having the rail all the way around me (again I have the sit and climb so it has a "shooting rail" - which really doesn't work for that but it does act as a railing for the platform). So once I get up to the height I'm going, the FIRST thing I do is run a strap around the tree and over one side of the band and under the other side and cinch it down. This way, it can't fall to the platform if I bumped it. I should also note that I generally am facing the tree when I stand or I also like it 90 degrees and I lean a shoulder on the tree while standing. I should note that I cut the original seat off and I have a web-style seat that I use if my feet get too sore/cold from standing.

The more you have a level platform once you're up to hunting height, the more comfortable you will be in the stand.

• Sitka Gear