BigSkyHntr 18-Oct-20
Fatbass 18-Oct-20
LKH 18-Oct-20
cnelk 18-Oct-20
wildwilderness 18-Oct-20
standswittaknife 18-Oct-20
t-roy 18-Oct-20
18-Oct-20
Good morning guys, happy Sunday. A buddy and I are setting up a Yukon moose hunt with Papa Bear Adventures in Bethel, Alaska. This is going to be an unguided hunt where they fly us in and we hunt on our own. Never hunted moose before, never done a fly in hunt before so I was hoping to hear from those of you that have. We are not doing a float type hunt. Based on my research it looks to be a good idea to rent a tent, cots, and a stove from PBA opposed to taking our own gear. Would love to hear any suggestions regarding specific gear suggestions, tipping etiquette, antler & meat transport home, extra costs etc. Have an awesome day. Joe

18-Oct-20
Moose are big. Have a solid plan for handling one before you shoot one. Always consider how far you are from airplane access before putting a moose on the ground.

Moose hunting is hard work but there is nothing better!!! You guys have a great trip!

18-Oct-20
Went with papa bear once. We took our own gear and it worked out good. Pilots were great, planes were beautiful. They went above and beyond on everything.

18-Oct-20
Went with papa bear once. We took our own gear and it worked out good. Pilots were great, planes were beautiful. They went above and beyond on everything. We went and found game and carried it back to the river. Both moose and caribou.

18-Oct-20
Great choice going with Papa Bear, they have great equipment and the planes are very well maintained. GREAT moose area, it’s over capacity with moose. I suggest taking your own Siltarp to set up next to the tent as a cooking, eating, storage area and a place to hang outside of the tent. It can also be used to set up away from camp to call and glass from if it heavy rain. Goretex waders with neoprene booties and quick drying hiking boots sized to go over the neoprene booties. Paper books or downloaded on a phone. Garmin Inreach for texting, sat phone is nice but not needed. They would rather you text them for meat pickup and updates than calls. Good meat hauling frames Small thermos for sitting, calling and glassing. The area is loaded with old cutoff Yukon and Kuskakwim River bends that are now small narrow lakes. And small lakes that locals can’t get there boats on. Usually can build a meat cache on top of beaver lodge and the planes Can pull right up to it. Contact the Wildlife Gallery, they gather hides and antlers from all over Alaska all season long. They boil the skull and prep the hides and ship them all at once back to Michigan My boiled skull cost me $200 to get back to Michigan. It was done so well all I needed to do was paint the skull for a European mount. We tip the pilot and gave him a lot of the meat. Which week are you going. Hold out and be patient, it gets better with every day in sept Hesticles hunted that area last year with great success hopefully he weighs in.

18-Oct-20
+1 on tarps. They are cheap and light. Many uses. We took 5

+1 on the Inreach

A small wire grate to grill fresh tenderloins over a fire

18-Oct-20
Do a search for Kevin Dill's moose threads....they will get you pumped....and they might give you some ideas.

18-Oct-20
Do you have a weight limit or are you flying with a Beaver or similar?

18-Oct-20
Great stuff guys thank you. Weight limit is 100 pounds total per person.

18-Oct-20
Renting has great advantages. They may have the gear set up when you get there! With their rep you can be assured it will be in good shape. This will allow you to bring more weight of your own. Also, you will probably end up with bigger tents than you would bring on your own.

There is nothing like having a tent with stove when it rains for all or part of each day

18-Oct-20
100lbs / person = Living High!

18-Oct-20
Sorry but that’s an Alaskan hunt, NOT a Yukon hunt. That’s a different country ;)

18-Oct-20
The only thing we brought that they provided was our tent. We used an 8 man tipi and Gave is a wood stove option that proved invaluable.. plus it’s 20 lbs lighter with stove than their tents. Fire is the only source of dry heat you’ll get and can be a life saver. The prior owners also allowed us a little extra weight since we were saving them on the tent.

18-Oct-20
??^^

• Sitka Gear