DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
The Eland, an ox-like antelope, is the largest in the world! It belongs to the 'spiral-horned' subfamily. There are two species. The first is the giant eland (Taurotragus derbianus) is slightly the larger of the two and the second is the more familiar, common eland (Taurotragus oryx). Bulls of both species may top 900kg and stand 1.7m at the shoulder. Females are about half the weight. Eland inhabit open country, from montane grasslands to semi-deserts. They are shy and quick to retreat from disturbance, so a safari sighting is always something special.

19-Oct-20
Beautiful. Forrest

19-Oct-20
Do you have the details on the 3rd picture? What bow, Arrow and broadhead Shot distance, placement?

19-Oct-20
They remind me of army tanks on patrol. I watch a stand off between a herd of eland and a herd of blue wildes one afternoon over rights to a waterhole. The eland out flanked the Wildes and commandeered the waterhole. During the stand off the springboks enjoyed watering. A event I will never forget.

19-Oct-20
They remind me of army tanks on patrol. I watch a stand off between a herd of eland and a herd of blue wildes one afternoon over rights to a waterhole. The eland out flanked the Wildes and commandeered the waterhole. During the stand off the springboks enjoyed watering. A event I will never forget.

19-Oct-20
I arrowed one few years ago in SA. They are huge. Interestingly, their hide is very thin, thinner than a whitetail.

20-Oct-20
Very cool.

21-Oct-20
They are exceptional eating too. My favorite of the African plains game animals I've eaten (close to 10 spp.). Nice pics, great looking bulls.

• Sitka Gear