BULELK1 09-Nov-20
rattling_junkie 09-Nov-20
lineman21 09-Nov-20
paul@thefort 09-Nov-20
Carbon Defiant 34 09-Nov-20
standswittaknife 09-Nov-20
lewis 09-Nov-20
19-Oct-20
" A rolling stone gathers no moss!" Yep, all packed up and will be heading for Nebraska, O Dark thirty. Should arrive by 2 pm and might get an evening hunt in but more than likely I will just scout for a day or two. I have hunted this SWA many times for deer and turkeys will good success, so it will be sort of a home coming. Popup camper is fully ready and supplied. The Tacoma is loaded with food, gear, buck decoy, bow, tree stands etc. . Two years ago I killed my buck on Oct 31 so there is time to scout, set up a tree stand, make a few ground blinds, place out two trail cameras, and then just have fun. Maybe this adventure will have a story to be told in the very near future. my best, Paul

19-Oct-20
Good luck Paul, looking forward to tagging along!

19-Oct-20
Good luck Paul!

19-Oct-20
Good luck Paul.

19-Oct-20
Get’ em buddy

19-Oct-20
Good luck and safe travels, Paul!

19-Oct-20
Good luck Paul!

19-Oct-20

19-Oct-20
Good luck Paul!

19-Oct-20
Using a recurve or compound Paul?

20-Oct-20
Have a great time Paul.

20-Oct-20
Good luck!!!

20-Oct-20
good luck Paul

20-Oct-20
Good luck! Be safe and have fun!

20-Oct-20
Good luck Paul!

20-Oct-20
Best of luck, I am headed out next Tuesday to Iowa/Nebraska for 3 weeks. Kill a good one! Shawn

20-Oct-20
Go get em Paul. Good luck.

20-Oct-20
Good luck Paul and enjoy your time afield!

20-Oct-20
Good luck Paul. Do you always go solo? You should bring one of your buddies to help with the inevitable dragging.

20-Oct-20
Dragging??? Paul just throws them up on his shoulder and carries them out.

Good luck Paul.

20-Oct-20
Knock yourself out Paul, or rather, knock one of those Nebraska whitetails out !

20-Oct-20
Go get em Paul!

20-Oct-20
a hunting you shall go! enjoy your time in the woods

20-Oct-20
gitem Paul!

20-Oct-20
Git 'em, Paul!! Looking forward to following along.

20-Oct-20
Have a great hunt, looking forward to your report.

20-Oct-20
Good luck! I love hunting Nebraska. I will be out there again Nov 5th.

20-Oct-20
Good luck! Look forward to updates.

20-Oct-20
Good luck - sounds like a great hunt

20-Oct-20
Take the stick!!

20-Oct-20
Good luck, Paul!

20-Oct-20
Good luck as always Paul this will give me something to follow while convalescing from another knee surgery get a big one Lewis

20-Oct-20
Short bloodtrails Paul! Hope you have a great hunt.

20-Oct-20
Looking forward to following this. Good luck Paul!

20-Oct-20
Another fun story ahead! Enjoy,Paul.

20-Oct-20
Paul,you are always an inspiration to me.Safe travels,looking forward to the pictures,and the story.

20-Oct-20
Good luck Paul!

20-Oct-20
Good luck!

20-Oct-20
Have a great time and good luck! Looking forward to the story.

20-Oct-20
Best of buck blessings!

20-Oct-20
Good luck Paul. No chance of any moss growing! Will wait patiently for the story! Yeah right ;)

20-Oct-20
Bring it on Paul!

20-Oct-20
Can't wait for this story to unfold. Good luck Paul!

20-Oct-20
Good luck Paul. Anxious to read and see the results.

20-Oct-20
Awesome!! Dont let the old man in!

20-Oct-20
Not sure why you are warning the deer? No matter, they're in trouble. Be safe.

20-Oct-20
Best of luck Paul!

20-Oct-20
good luck

20-Oct-20
Good Luck Paul, just got 6-9 inches of snow in MN. Unfortunately forecast for rain by the time I am able to get out there Friday.

20-Oct-20
If I was a PETA member, I'd be crying right now, 'cause there's darn sure gonna be a dead animal pretty quick.!

Have fun Paul!

21-Oct-20
You're an inspiration Paul! Love your hunts! Good luck out there.

21-Oct-20
Good luck!

21-Oct-20
Dead deer walking.

21-Oct-20
Welcome back to our great state Paul! Been seeing a bit more activity with this cooler weather. Good luck!

21-Oct-20
Good luck Paul. Can’t wait to see the hero shots!!

22-Oct-20
"Shoot-m-in-da-face" Paul, good luck!

24-Oct-20
Good luck Paul. No chance of any moss growing! Will wait patiently for the story! Yeah right ;)

24-Oct-20
Good luck Paul!

24-Oct-20
Stay warm Paul! The snow is coming...…………..

25-Oct-20
I have been in Nebraska for a week, actually a week early but I had ants in my pants to go. Spent the last 4-5 days scouting and hunting. Have seen WT deer each day i have hunted but only one shooter was seen. I place one tree stand where I killed a buck two years ago and had a small buck come by after shooting time. need a north wind to hunt this spot. Checked out another area where i have had luck but only saw a coyote that morning. The one shooter came down a thick stream bed but did not come past in range. I was so concentrated on him i did not notice a WT doe standing in front of the buck decoy. She stayed around for a few minutes and went her way. Last night, again hunting off the ground saw three does and one fork buck. No rut activity yet but after this storm comes through and it gets closer to Nov. thinks will surly pick up. Pheasant season opens on next Saturday but most of my hunting has been successful in the late PM. I have taken two days off and am staying at a nice Inn, warm bed, shower, breakfast. VS my top up trailer. Storm predicted to bring some snow and very cold weather. Will get back to hunting next wed. Having fun as usual. my best, Paul

25-Oct-20
Good luck Paul stay safe while this arctic blast moves through!

25-Oct-20
Good luck Paul! Sounds like you're livin' the dream!

26-Oct-20
Good luck Paul! Enjoy yourself! Will be following......................................

26-Oct-20
Good luck! Git em!

26-Oct-20
Sounds like a plan I was curious about that front coming your way good luck and stay safe Lewis

26-Oct-20
Get after them Paul. Good luck!

06-Nov-20
How is it going Paul? Warm enough this week? Wish you the best!

06-Nov-20
Good luck

06-Nov-20
How did I miss this?? Good luck Paul!!

08-Nov-20
SO HERE IS THE REST OF THIS STORY. I spent almost three weeks in Nebraska hunting deer and I left a week early as I was just eager to go. Arrived on Oct 21, set up the popup camper and scouted around for a day or two, but I knew here I was to hunt as I have been in this area for the past many years turkey and deer hunting.

I noticed it had been very dry, the ground was hard as a rock in most places and the majority of the farm ground in the SWA had been planted in millet, (no corn, wheat, beans or rye,)not the best food attractant for deer but good for quail, pheasants and turkeys. I found out later that it seemed most of the deer were feeding off the SWA in private land in the corn or rye fields and when I looked in the traditional places that I had found deer, there was a lot less sigh then in the past. Hard to find any buck sigh like rubs and scrapes. I check with the local biologist and found that gun hunters had killed 176 deer from this SWA last year, around 110 bucks and 50 or more doe WTs. Not unusual but I and others have noticed over the years that finding a mature buck of three years old was becoming more difficult. After a week of so of hunting, this was confirmed, less deer and only four mature bucks were seen and three of these were on adjacent properties properties..

The weather started out good but then the cold and snow came for three days. I holed up in a local motel for two days before heading back to the pop up trailer. I had some action the follow day but with small buck over the decoy, pictures to follow.

Well the weather went for cold to hot-hot, yep up to 85 degrees for a few day, and then the wind came blowing from the south, gusting to 40--45 MPH. I felt I was in a wind tunnel and the deer did not like it either as they were not moving until last legal light of the day and just a hour in the AM.

I sat up on a hill over looking a private adjacent farm and counted 32 deer, (does and fawns) and only one small buck in the morning. They were feeding in the rye fields. The private property next to my camp I would see 15- 17 does and fawns around 5 pm and only one spike and one forked buck. Of the 6 ground blinds and one tree stand location, I would see deer at each set but the majority were does and fawns with a few small buck mixed in. Where are the mature bucks? Later I saw one mature buck two days after the snow storm and cold weather. Even then the Pheasant season started I thought the deer might be pushed around but with the lack of birds and then bird hunters, that did not happen.. When I got back to the pop up last night, the wind was gusting and steady at 30 MPH and the pop up canvas was flapping loudly and I awoke at 1 am, droved 2 mile to puck up my deer decoys, returned and slept in the truck., woke before light, dressed and headed to the tree stand just over the hill from camp. NO luck. Packed up and headed home at 8 am, tired after giving it all for most of 2 1/2 weeks. I might have stayed until the end of the week if I had not killed a bull elk this season. Just finished a home cook meal and I am sure the bed will feel good tonight without the high wind noise. Following will be a few pictures of the hunt.

08-Nov-20

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
decoy encounter small buck, day after snow
decoy encounter small buck, day after snow
deer on private eating rye plants
deer on private eating rye plants

08-Nov-20

good buck on private day after corn was picked. only this buck and three does in the AM.
good buck on private day after corn was picked. only this buck and three does in the AM.
young mule deer with doe along road off SWA
young mule deer with doe along road off SWA

08-Nov-20

and add in the full moon, night time was like day time. Had fun, end of story. Paul
and add in the full moon, night time was like day time. Had fun, end of story. Paul

08-Nov-20
Great pics and hunt as always Paul, you get to keep all the memories!

08-Nov-20
Crazy weather for sure, Paul! Love the pics, especially the little mulie buck and doe, with the sun behind them!

I’ll bet Chase is ready to get after those geese!

09-Nov-20
Thanks for sharing Paul

Good luck, Robb

09-Nov-20
Paul you are one hardcore dude!

09-Nov-20
Dang Paul. The best hunting is going to happen now. Cold front moves in today and then we have cool temps and calm winds until rifle season opens this weekend. If you’re hunting the SWA I think you are, I’m not surprised by the lack of sightings. The amount of hunting pressure has increased exponentially over the last 10 years. I won’t drive by it during rifle season. From a few miles away it sounds like a war zone.

09-Nov-20
Cole, I agree the SWA being a war zone and the lack and quality of the hunt has diminished over the past 10 years. I will have to find another place for sure. Lets hook up this spring for sure. Paul

09-Nov-20
Thanks Paul, enjoyed you and your adventure as always!

09-Nov-20
Sounds like a lot of pocket book biology going on out there.. Shame...

09-Nov-20
Tough hunt but enjoyed following your story good luck and stay safe Lewis

• Sitka Gear