TGbow 16-Jun-22
WV Mountaineer 16-Jun-22
IdyllwildArcher 16-Jun-22
TGbow 16-Jun-22
IdyllwildArcher 16-Jun-22
Supernaut 16-Jun-22
TGbow 16-Jun-22
20-Oct-20
It's time to retire my LaCrosse Alpha Burlys. They've finally cracked enough to warrant getting a new pair. They've served me for many years. So, since I haven't had to buy any in a long time, I'm out of the loop. I want something for the coldest WI days on stand in the late season. What are the best ones out there? I usually layer a couple of pairs of socks, with the first being thin and to wick moisture. The second pair is wool. So, what are recommendations for boot brand and model? I prefer rubber boots, as I want to be as scent free as possible. Thanks in advance.

20-Oct-20
I hunt in northern WI. and have worn Muck Woody Max for many years, and they have kept my feet warm. I think they make one now that is supposed to be even warmer. It's called the Arctic...something.

20-Oct-20
Muck Arctic Sport boots are the bomb!

20-Oct-20
Muck Arctic Sport

20-Oct-20
I use the 1600 alpha Burleys and have a new pair last year. They keep my feet pretty warm as my feet are the only thing that get cold easy on me. For all day sits in really cold weather, I add boot blankets and I’m good to go

20-Oct-20
The Muck Arctic are decent. For stand hunts, I get one size bigger to allow for extra heavy socks. But I've found that even with heavy wool socks, in single digit weather sitting on stand, my feet still get cold, and pretty quick. I carry a couple sets of the chemical warmer inserts to drop in there as needed.

20-Oct-20
I like my muck artic sports but once December rolls in a break out the pac boots.

20-Oct-20
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention, even with my Alpha Burlys I would use chemical toe warmers too. I was hoping to not have to do that with a new pair, as the less bulk the better too. I also was wondering if I would have to order one size bigger or not. That's the one thing I hate about ordering online, is not being able to try on.

20-Oct-20
A little off the subject but I found putting a thick piece of foam padding on the floor of my metal tree stands helps tremendously.

20-Oct-20
Muck Artic boots are great.

20-Oct-20
Muck Artic Pro here!

20-Oct-20
Baffin trapper and there’s one even more insulated than those.

20-Oct-20
I have the lacrosse alpha burly 1600s, they're fine down to 20-25° F, for a half day. I have some Baffin snowmobile/pack boots with a BOA lacing system for colder than that. Some guys feet never get cold... others need all the help they can get. I'm in the latter group.

20-Oct-20
La Crosse ice kings. Never had cold feet yet. Ice fishing or in a hang on stand in northern WI.

21-Oct-20
Bata bunny boots.

21-Oct-20
I 2nd the Bata's I got both the black and the White ones have used the white ones for nearly 40yrs both for all my late season bow hunts and for ice fishing I also have the wool inserts but have never used them. I got a deal for you I will send you the right foot boot for free if you happen to be a left leg amputee haven't used the right boot since 2016.LOL Kurt

21-Oct-20
That offer is not half bad.

21-Oct-20
I got ya... bad thing is had my left big toe and half the middle toe removed in June and having a hell of a time gettin the big toe wound to heal... took nearly a yr to get fitted for prosthetic on right side.Kurt

21-Oct-20
I have the muck arctic sport and the even warmer arctic pro's, both good, very important to use a boot dryer after every use! If you want even warmer look at baffin titans

21-Oct-20
I use the Muck Arctic Pro and they run big versus my hiking boots. Enough room for two pair of medium weight wool socks for me plus an insole. They are pretty warm for sure.

I used Baffin boots (-100F rating) in Nunavut on a couple hunts. No trees up there to sit in but they were very warm. They only had nylon uppers with rubber bottoms. Good boots the outfitter loaned me, but run very small. Had to upsize two sizes versus my usual size. The outfitter knew that and had pre-planned accordingly.

Good luck!

21-Oct-20
None, rubber makes your feet sweat and in turn get cold. Once temps are in the 20s I wear a pair of Baffin pac boots. Fairly light and crazy warm. Rated to 165 below! Shawn

21-Oct-20
Mucks. My feet have never gotten cold n them, sweat r not, even below zero. And they arent even the Arctic ones, just the uninsulated ones. with,Wool,socks up to knees. Dont wear them too tight.

21-Oct-20
I wear uninsulated all year, just throw on a pair of Artic shield boot blankets when you get in the stand and you are good to go. If it gets around zero or below a chemical handwarmer in the blankets and you are set.

21-Oct-20
With artic pro mucks,should I buy 1 size up to fit thick socks?

22-Oct-20
Guardian +1. Also, I'm assuming the Arctic Pro is the boot for the coldest weather Muck makes? And there is a $30 difference between the Arctic Pro ($185) and the Arctic Pro camo ($215.) Is there really any difference other than the color? Sure the camo looks cooler to the human eye and the brown is butt ugly, but are there any other differences? I can't justify the price difference for the same function. Sure I want the rest of me camo, but the deer isn't going to be just staring at my feet. Thoughts?

22-Oct-20
X2 on the boot dryer carcus. Makes a "big" difference.

22-Oct-20
Novice, if you're in a tree, your boots are the first thing they'll see... ;)

22-Oct-20
Yes, Trapperkayak. You are correct. But are they seeing the bottom of the boots or any of it at all, because they are obscured by the platform of the stand? I'm guessing (depending on sitting or standing of course), that the majority of what they see is from the knees up. To be honest, my uninsulated rubber boots that I currently wear are one solid color (black or green.) When I get busted, I think it's more of my scent than anything, but maybe I'm wrong. I also think most camo patterns are made for the hunters eye. I would spend the extra money on camo boots if they were made in Predator, Intrusion, ASAT, etc type patterns.

22-Oct-20
I’m agree with Milhouse , I love my Alpha 1600’s down to about 20 degrees. Then, switch to Bunny Boots.

22-Oct-20
I just bought the Muck Arctic Pro boots. Wearing them around the house right now in the living room. Wife not happy. I have to go

22-Oct-20
Good old military "bunny boots". If you can find them.

Have gotten them wet, squeezed the water out of my socks, and still stayed warm in below zero fahrenheit temps.

22-Oct-20
Same. Military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots. Warm, indestructible, and cheap.

26-Oct-20
Can anybody that has the Muck Arctic Pro (or other Muck boots for that matter) answer if you need to order one size larger than normal? I do layer my socks. Normally I wear a size 13. So, I'd like to know if I need to order a 14 or not. Thanks.

26-Oct-20
I wear a 12. Mucks seem to run just a little big in my experience.

26-Oct-20
Vapor barrier boots (Mickey mouse) -65 degrees

26-Oct-20
I went with my exact size. Worked out great. I did not go up one size

27-Oct-20
I just ordered the Arctic Pro in a size 14. I messaged 2 sellers about going up a size and one of them said every pair of Muck he's had, he's got one size larger. The other person said if you just use medium weight socks, normal size was fine. But if you wear thicker socks, to go up a size. I won't know if I need thicker socks at all until I wear them, but my feet usually don't handle the cold well. So, I usually will wear a thin pair to wick away moisture and then a thicker pair of wool (really like Smartwool) over them. Can't wait to get them and will report back. Thanks for all of the info.

16-Nov-20
I will recommend what I have used in temps starting at 15* to 0* then below 0* or -temps. For below 15* but above 0* I use with great success either my LaCrosse Ice King pack boots for strictly rubber boots nothing beats IMHO my Genuine USGI made by Bata Black or white Mickey mouse Boots. The LaCrosse IK's are great because their removable liner they have is very effective at "wicking" away moisture form your feet/socks to keep your socks and feet dry and dry feet = warm feet. Many times after hours on stand I have removed the bootie insets prior to putting them on my Peet boot dryer, from my Ice Kings and found the outside of the thick LaCrosse IK's insert to be actually damp to the touch but dry on the inside. LaCrosse IK's also will keep your feet warm in any temps but are in MY EXPERIENCE aren't that rugidly made like regualr non-pack boots and don't give the best ankle support and again IMHO are for use in sedentary stand sits where you will be doing much more sitting than walking and not for use walking long distances as you hunt, but if your walking a lot cold feet at least for me have NEVER been a problem. I have owned two pair of LaCrosse Ice Kings for over 17 years and worn them both for HOURS on stand hunting and ice fishing in temps from +10* to -18* below zero and my feet never once got even close to being cold enough to make me quit. The USA made by Bata Black USGI MMB's are great for temps below 20* to about 0* and I have done a fair bit of walking and they did well.

For anything below 10* sustained I use my LaCrosse Ice Kings or my USA made by Bata genuine USGI White Mickey Mouse Boots. Both have kept my feet warm enough that cold feet have never forced my to end a hunt. Unfortunately genuine made in USA USGI MMB's are very hard now to find and are selling at 2-4x the cost of what I paid.

You can sill find and buy LaCrosse Ice Kings but they are getting rare.

Best warmest thickest insulating socks I have EVER found or used are Cabela's extreme cold weather mid calf socks: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-extreme-cold-mid-calf-wool-socks-for-men They are like putting on a second insulating boot on your foot. I have tried extreme cold weather sock I could find and these are by far the best.

22-Nov-20
IMO, Bata Mickey Mouse boots are outstanding...

22-Nov-20
The warmest boots become the coldest feet, no matter the brand. If your feet sweat like mine do, you really need to find that middle ground. Honestly, although a pain in the rear, packing your warm boots out, and wearing something lighter while walking in, is the better option for me at least. I will literally have wet socks after any hunt, and have the worst smelling shoes and boots because of it. Although you will add a foreign scent, if you have feet like mine, spray them with Arid Extra Dry antiperspirant. In the long run, it is advantageous. My hands are the same way, so I have to hang my bow, and put bare hands in my pockets to prevent them from getting cold. Boot dryer is a must, and I often wash my insulation to prevent odor.

15-Jun-22
HUNTSHIELD Men’s Neoprene would be worth a look. I’ve had these HUNTSHIELD boots for about two months. Which i got recommonded by [url=https://huntingprofy.com/best-insulated-rubber-hunting-boots/]this source[/url]. I’ve worn them on several deer hunting trips in some pretty rough mountainous county. The boots fit nice and snug, no slipping of my feet in the boot when side-hilling.

15-Jun-22
Dryshod / Men's / Hunting / NOSHO Gusset XT have worn all the others, absolutely love these, got them last year and they are really durable and comfortable.

16-Jun-22
Had the alpha burlys and hate them in the cold but they fit good, my go to boots are the muck artic pro

16-Jun-22
Mickey Mouse Boots (Black) rated to -20 for wet climates, Bunny Boots (White) Rated to -60 for dry climates.

16-Jun-22
Thanks for starting this thread. I bought some Lacrosse for cold weather but can't remember the model...will try them out this season. I have been using Lacrosse Mudlite snake boots, on my 7th year, use those for anything above 40 degrees.

16-Jun-22
How do you guys keep your feet warm in rubber boots? I’m serious. Do you change socks, hunt only in places that require very short walks, etc….

I’ve tried so hard to like muck or/and rubber boots. But, I can’t keep my feet from sweating. Which makes them freeze. Even on farm hunts where the walk is very short.

16-Jun-22
My feet get cold, so I over-do it with boots. My solution to wet feet has been to walk in with a certain pair of socks that I then remove once I'm at my stand. I then take out two thick pair of wool socks and I fan my feet off so that they go into the new socks dry. If I sweat again, I take my boots off in stand and reverse the two pairs of socks. Doing this, my alpha-burlie 1600s seem to work down to 0, although, if I'm doing an all-day sit below 15, I'll pop in a foot warmer between sock layer #1 and #2.

That said, wind changes everything and if it's cold and windy, I usually get driven out of the stand without my feet being the culprit.

I always get my boots a size too big.

That said, my feet were hot on my muskox hunt in the white bunny boots and that was even on a snow machine going into the wind, but I can't imagine walking a mile and up and down steep banks in them, while any LaCrosse boot will allow you to walk on a steep slope.

16-Jun-22
Where I hunt rubber boots are a must, Id rather not wear rubber boots but there's a lot of wet areas where I hunt. I've heard for years the Bunny boots/Mickey Mouse boots work well..might have to try them. Looks like somebody would copy that design and market it

16-Jun-22
No one has because the government surplus are still available.

16-Jun-22
I really like my Muck Artic Pros. I've had them a couple seasons now and they've kept my feet warm on some cold days in our second season. I wear a pair of thin silk socks and then a pair of merino wool socks over the silk.

A friend of mine loves his Baffin Snow Monsters. They may be worth a look for anyone that's not a fan of neoprene/rubber style like the Mucks or Lacrosse.

16-Jun-22
Wish they made a water proof leather boot..lol

• Sitka Gear