deerhunter72 23-Oct-20
Shawn 23-Oct-20
wifishkiller 23-Oct-20
RIT 23-Oct-20
Mark S 23-Oct-20
IdyllwildArcher 23-Oct-20
wildwilderness 24-Oct-20
21-Oct-20
For the investment financial planner types or those who know, Is there any way to make a hunting property A money making investment?

Looking at the price to buy whitetail land it seems like a big money liability to me. Of course I understand in the long run the land will retain value. But how in the short run is there a sure way to cash flow off of it to at least cover the mortgage/taxes? Or is it just a money pit ?

21-Oct-20
Where I live land is relatively cheap and it won’t cash flow with me running cattle. Where land is 5 or 6 thousand an acre I can’t imagine how it would cash flow unless you could log the entire thing. Leasing the land to a farmer sure isn’t going to do much for you. Maybe there’s something I’m missing though.

21-Oct-20
What state are you looking to purchase land in? Any tillable? Hilly or flat ground? Any cabins or homes on the property? Any timber?

21-Oct-20
I suppose it depends on what you buy; grass can make money from cattle, tillable can make money from crops, timber can make money from logging, good hunting land can be leased to other hunters for a portion of the season, mineral rights can be purchased with land, etc.

21-Oct-20
One other thing to add what catscratch posted. CRP is potentially another cash flow option, depending on the property.

21-Oct-20
I know nothing about this at all. But I'm wondering if also allowing cell towers or something similar (utility-wise) would also provide a similar benefit.

21-Oct-20
Lots of variables to really answer your question but based on the research I've done you'll have a fair bit of trouble not being in the red. You can rent tillable ground, grass, or hay ground but unless you get the land bought cheap or have a fair bit of money to put down being in the black from cash rent is almost certainly impossible.

As t-roy alluded to depending on the property CRP can be a good deal, but again unlikely to make your payment.

21-Oct-20
Aggregate production or other mineral possibility in a contained area segmented from your hunting area? Is there oil and an area for a pump jack? Etc...just spit balling

21-Oct-20
35-Acre: A utility that we almost had happen but fell through was wind farms. The income quoted to us in contract negotiations was pretty good.

21-Oct-20
I bought land in Ks, was able to pay cash. CRP in my case would not come close to making the payment, ($40 per acre per year) but it is something. Other sources, leasing mineral rights, wind mills for generation of electricity, oil pipelines, ( I lucked out and made good money on them), leasing to farmers or ranchers. Having said all of that, the land is most likely priced with those factors calculated in to the price. There may be the exception somewhere, but the way the market works and should work is that those potential revenue streams are in the price.

21-Oct-20
If you're lucky enough to buy it with the mineral rights AND they (gas/coal/etc companies) find something it can be very lucrative. A lot of farmers in OH, PA and WV turned into millionaires fairly quickly in the last 10-15 years. Land prices soared and many properties are now sold without the mineral rights. A crystal ball would've been nice to have 20 years ago. Best of luck if/when you buy!

21-Oct-20

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo

21-Oct-20
Unfortunately if it was easy to make recreational land cash flow everyone would buy it. About the best deal it seems like if you can find someone willing to do a crop-share on tillable land. That can take a significant dent out of the pain. I turned some cattle pasture into tillable this past year but had to spend on rock picking up front. Should be about a 3 year pay-back on the picking. Feel like I got the best of all worlds, because had the land been tillable when I bought it would have cost a lot more. Nice rich soil. Plus the crops are all deer food :)

21-Oct-20
Buying a working farm or ranch that already cash flows works well for some. Tillable land brings the best return.

21-Oct-20
If you figure it out let me know. I bought 40 acres a few years ago and it's been nothing but a money pit. Don't get me wrong, I love having land and I love hunting on it. It's a small piece but holds a lot of deer, not so good for turkeys.

However, for the price I paid for it, I could buy a nice outfitted deer hunt every year for the rest of my life and have plenty of money left over. There is something to be said about walking on your own dirt and knowing that you own it though. Hard to replace that feeling.

My experience is if a property can generate revenue, that is baked into the price and you will pay more for it to start with .

21-Oct-20
If you could buy land and have the money made off of it pay the payment, everyone would do it and the price of land would be driven higher.

21-Oct-20
CRP,windfarms

21-Oct-20
Location could be key here, but if it was feasible, you could bang up a nice big pole shed with a portion for yourself and rent indoor storage. The numbers may not work right away and depending on the size you're not going to retire off anything here but it could help. Also logistics and such will play a part in if you're able to get there to monitor things a little. Do I smell hunting fuel write offs?? Other things may work too, like potentially renting out a portion to an RTM builder, or Log home fitter, stuff like that. I think going beyond the peanuts of renting land for farming purposes will take some creativity, and even then, I doubt anyone will strike it rich, but could turn you from being in the red to the black as you say.

21-Oct-20

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
A couple of bucks from my Ohio property
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
A couple of bucks from my Ohio property
It's difficult, but possible. But the very thing that earns you income can also conflict with the real reason you are likely buying land and that's for hunting. Example, I planted 18 acres of beans on my Ohio land. I was offered 4k to cash rent the property. Leaving standing beans on my land after everything else has been harvested makes my property far more attractive to whitetails. So I decided to plant the crops myself, leave them standing for deer, and forego the 4k.

I look at land for long term diversity of my investment strategy (fancy guys call it a portfolio). I own three parcels of land; 30 acres in PA that is now worth 15x what I paid in 1992, my 312 acres in NY is worth 2x what I paid in 2010, and my Ohio property was just purchased, but I can easily get what I paid for it right now and likely far more after I'm done renovating the house.

The benefit to me is while these properties provide diversity for my investments, I can plant food plots, shoot coyotes, and bowhunt deer on them. I can't do that with 500 shares of WalMart. And while land prices can fluctuate during hard times, as a long-term investment it's unlikely you will lose money. And even if it does lose money, you can still hunt it. No brainer for me.

One strong word of advice, buy what you can afford. I know guys that bought 750k farms in Iowa on a 75k per year income and leveraged their home to get financing. Guy lost his job due to Covid and can't make the payments. Don't do that. Nothing wrong with owning 40 acres of OK hunting land that lets you sleep at night, than buying 200 acres of Primo deer land that makes you a nervous wreck because you are struggling to make payments.

Good luck, and I guarantee you won't regret it. There's nothing like owning your own slice of heaven then improving it for hunting.

21-Oct-20
The short answer to your question is "No!". The reasons above point to why it doesn't work . Long term could be another answer with land value appreciation depending on your locality,,, maybe. Definitely cheaper to go on a nice outfitted hunt or two each year but I like having my own dirt.

21-Oct-20
Who in their right mind would take on $0.75M in debt making $75k? I guess it happens every day, but damn people are dumb.

21-Oct-20
Better tillable farmland, cash rented, yields the owner an income that's roughly equal to the long-term average inflation index. In other words, relative to other investments, it's not very good. Buy some land for recreational use if you want to, and be happy to have it. Invest the rest of your money more wisely, so you can retire in comfort someday.

21-Oct-20
You could always grow pot.

21-Oct-20
Ha, I know people going heavy into the CBD oil off their hemp farm. Will see how long it lasts, and how many competitors join the market.

I guess it's as expected, recreational land is an expense that has to be worth the cost in some other intrinsic value....

21-Oct-20
I plan on roughly 75.00-100.00 per acre for crop land if double crop.I also have a couple rentals that help but with what I got going I pay for 90% of land payments with income.Another option would be to sell 2 hunts a year for say 3K that would be decent.The whole thing is if you use crops,minerals etc to help make payments then if you ever sell you should get back your payments plus price of land.It will never go down in price.Now I doubt if mine will leave family for a very long time the way my trust is set up.

21-Oct-20
Build a couple stables. People pay lots of money / month to house their horses.

21-Oct-20
Pat, that is one of your best posts and solid advice IMO.

With regards to investing, each of us will have a different comfort level with certain approaches. I agree with Pat that the land is a longer term investment. Enjoy it for recreation, but make the improvements that will pay off big time in the long run.

We received an offer for our 120 acre MO farm for more than 2X what we paid for it in 2007, Between CRP on 40 acres and habitat improvements the state has paid for, we are out zero dollars of our own money for a 16'X40' cabin and two 20'X20' barns we had built. Those added nice value to the property.

Throw in what is going on in our country, especially populated areas, rural land will hold value most likely. While Pat gave an extreme example, my only disagreement with his post is we waited too long to purchase. I was 47, we could pay cash, If I had purchased 40 acres of land in KS when I was in my 20s when we still had a mortgage, I would be much happier. I was offered the land for $400 an acre, it recently sold for over $5000 an acre. I was too risk aversive, hope others don't make the same mistake.

Best wishes,

21-Oct-20
With the current interest rates I would definitely buy a $750,000 farm that could generate $75,000 annual profit (as long as I didn't have to do any of the labor!) That would pay the mortgage off in 10 yrs, then hopefully a lifetime of profit and hunting

21-Oct-20
Wilderness you are not including the interest you have to pay. It would be more like $90k of annual profits if you borrowed the money in the high 3 percent range.

21-Oct-20
I'm guessing Pat meant the person's income was 75k. I doubt they were generating 75k of income from a property they bought for 750k. If that was the case you could easily make that cash flow with a 30 year note. Covid likely wouldn't have made that 75k income go to zero either.

Where I was looking at buying land cash rent for farm ground is $80-100 per acre. Farm ground was going anywhere from $2000-2500/acre. The best stuff is more depending on who the neighbors are. Interest rates for raw land were about 6% the summer of 2019. So if you paid $2000 per acre for a 1/4 ($320k) your yearly payment on thirty year note is just over 23k at 6% interest. You're not coming close to making that payment with cash rent.

21-Oct-20
Good luck finding a piece of property for 750K that will generate that annual profit. Not seen one like that in a long time! I still think land is a solid way to diversify your investments though, plus you get to hunt it and have tons of fun making it what you want

21-Oct-20
One option I have not seen posted yet is the possibility of leasing your land for solar. You can look into this ahead of time. There are LOTS of companies that want to lease your land to put a solar farm on it. They will consult with you prior to you purchasing it, for free. This can be a consideration when deciding on different parcels as there are requirements that make your land feasible for a solar farm or not. If you purchase in a prime area for solar this can be a major cash flow.

21-Oct-20
Conservation easment if you dont have plans for development structures, mineral extraction, etc. or plans to resell for development.

21-Oct-20
As long as we are on the subject of buying land, does anyone know who bought Bill Winke's Iowa farm? He sold his 940 acre farm for $3.8 million.

21-Oct-20
The 75k comment was the guy’s annual income, not income from the property.

21-Oct-20
Unless you are the kind of guy who wins the lottery, and you just happen to be in the right place at the right time....

Then NO

And if you are that type, you will prob get struck by lightening sitting in a tree stand on the property :-)

21-Oct-20
Around my area in South central Kansas. I would say it's a pretty good rule of thumb that the money generated off of the property will cover about 1/3 of your land payment. That's based of if you put it on a 30 year note and finance at that current times interest

21-Oct-20

iplumb's Link
If you find a farm with an income stream - for instance Tillable acreage farm rent, ask your accountant about Schedule F (link below to the IRS form), which from a tax perspective could help you get closer to a cash flow situation. And to second Pats comment - I can't walk my 401K like I can my ground. I just wish I knew what I know now 20 years ago...

21-Oct-20
The land that I purchased in SE Iowa in 2001 is now worth about 4X what I paid.

21-Oct-20
Yes you can but it depends what you can grow and your proximity to A large urban market. There are several crops that if you can grow them and are within 1 to 2 day shipping of a major urban market you can gross non organic $25 k , organic As high $50k a year per acre on $100k initial investment to plant 20 acres( not marijuana). Yielding progressively larger crops year three to peak at 7 years with a 25 year production life . Just go to your local Whole Foods and walk through the produce section for some ideas, modern yuppies are cash cows.

21-Oct-20
There is no way that I would not max out my 401k/IRA before buying hunting land.

21-Oct-20
For all but the extreme examples and lucky finds, profit returns off of any land large enough to pay for it, don’t exist.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned, many times you sell a resource off of any land financed through common lenders, the mortgage company requires and income generated from resources on that land, be paid towards the principle.

21-Oct-20
Right now money it is difficult to envision money ever being cheaper than it is right now. 30-day LIBOR is 0.15, the 10-year yield is ~0.8%. That is CRAZY. With the percentage increase in the money supply this year with the COVID stimulus(s) it is hard not to expect those numbers to jump dramatically over the next couple years.

Here is the disconnect most do not want to accept - land should not be looked at as something that is leveraged as an investment solely. When you leverage for purely an investment then the investment, IMO, should have significant cash flow relative to your payment. If you want to leverage for the sake of enjoyment and your outside income can eclipse your payment, fine.

If you buy land with cash, then it is much simpler to make it cash flow. I am surprised more folks are not putting money into land as I suspect it will enjoy significant appreciation in the next five years and it should have a 3-8% cash flow on a low risk investment.

Leveraging land and expecting cash flow is difficult to envision being widely available for anyone other than those who are willing to incur a significant amount of time sorting through options and running numbers.

21-Oct-20
I second the conservation easement if you are in a position to need the tax deduction

21-Oct-20
“For all but the extreme examples and lucky finds, profit returns off of any land large enough to pay for it, don’t exist.“

Not true at all. Land within a few hours of many large US cities can generate +/- $ 200k a year on just 5 acres. I know of one in Alaska that’s returning $ 1 million on 10 acres. With the farm to table movement and Restaurant organicS and free range demand a new generation of farmers are rewriting modern small farming. It’s not uncommon for restaurant goers in many east and west coast liberal cities to pay $250 to $500+ a couple to dine on organic and free range food grown with in 50 miles of their city. They eat like this a few times a week. With the right contracts and abilities these new farmers are paying cash for their land . I know people selling thanksgiving turkeys for $150 a piece to people in the Seattle area. They get $25 per 4 lb chicken paid 6 months in advance and are sold out a year in advance. All you have to do is market to skippy and Buffy and make them feel like said poultry was raised in a loving home and died with a smile on their beak full of organic feed. There was a near gold rush in the Columbia basin in Washington, Oregon and Idaho the past 20 years. All it took was for US wines winning and placing very highly against European wines. You just have to think out of the box a little and not listen to people that tell you something is impossible.

21-Oct-20
On The financing or cash question it’s purely a math problem. Financing makes more pure economic sense with the cost of Money so low. You are giving up anywhere from 3 to 10% of profit or more on the leverage spread verses investing the cash. So in terms of the question at hand if your looking to cash flow paying cash makes it harder. There are a ton of things you can do, depending how you structure the deal, to make what you would pay uncle sugar in incomes taxes on your regular job pay for your land or a good chunk of it. A $10k to $25k investment into a tax attorney and tax accountant that specialize in these types of transaction will return many times over on the back end. If you are a low to no risk guy pay cash.

22-Oct-20
Jackaroo...I will respectfully disagree with you on the finance equation for creating positive cash flow. If you pay cash - making it cash flow is easier. Simply because you do not have to cover an interest payment or a principal payment - which reduces cash flow.

In my experience most investors look at cash flow as cash out on an annual basis (expenses, income tax, interest, principal, replacement reserves) being greater than cash in on an annual basis. So having to pay principal and interest reduces cash flow.

Now beyond that the question becomes - is it easier to make a higher return by financing - unequivocally at today's rates - yes.

Would I personally finance at today's rates - yes - but know that if your land income is not high enough you could have tax consequences greater than your net cash flow.

It is not complicated, as I suspect most know, but writing the different aspects of it down (a simple pro-forma) are important for most that have not done it before. And don't forget that you are paying taxes not on your after debt service NOI but your principal reduction is part of the tax equation.

22-Oct-20
I have not found a way to make recreational land pay for itself. If it is paid for I can get the logging and hay to cover taxes and insurance and occasional upgrades, but not pay for itself.

oz

22-Oct-20
Why would someone buy private land to hunt, and then open it up to the public with a conservation easement?

22-Oct-20
Candor you are 100% correct accounting wise looking at the farm as a stand-alone entity. I was giving the conceptual 30k foot overview as it’s all pass through ,so it the same dollar in the end ,for 99% of the people doing this.

22-Oct-20
Most conservation easements don't require you to allow anyone to hunt or open up,that may be if you put in a land trust but if you do that you don't own and some land trust owns and manages.This can be all kinds of bad as we have a really crooked land trust in Kansas called the Sunflower trust and I have seen them lie to surrounding landowners and threaten people.I have a triplex that I added to the land loan and the triplex makes the payment and crops more than pay for insurance,taxes etc.I know I am lucky I bought alot of my land cheap and things worked just right.Now on the land we have bought since that is looked at as say I buy 80 acres for 160,000 then every year I clear 8,000 from crops after 10 years if I sold this land I would have earned 80,000 dollars and probably sold the land for more than I paid for it so I figured I made more than if I would have invested that 160,000

22-Oct-20
Who then uses the easement if it is not open to the public? I am just trying to understand.

22-Oct-20
The easement is basically a fancy way of saying you are getting paid to keep the land a certain way, it's not like a power or gas line easement. Couple examples are wetlands easements which restrict you from draining the property or a grassland easement which means you can break the ground. There are lots of rules associated with each type of easement that may allow grazing/haying on certain years or maybe no grazing/haying at all. There are also different time limits on the easement, some are forever and stay with they stay with the land if sold. Those type would generally devalue the land immediately.

22-Oct-20
Jackaroo, go to a bank with your business plan and see how much they let you borrow based on that. I’m selling organic chickens, beef, veggies. They will laugh your butt off the chair. Extreme examples are just that. And, not applicable to 99.9% of land purchases.

I’m not speaking of knowledge of what someone claims. I’m speaking of 30 years dealing in land and natural resource procurement.

If it was truly a market option for everyone to explore, that turkey would bring $19. Not $150.

22-Oct-20
Thank you JayZ.

22-Oct-20
We put our Tn property in a conservation easement and never looked backed.The tax savings was much more than we paid for the property.You can learn a lot from Ted Turner. Good luck Lewis

22-Oct-20
WV, in this context I doubt anyone is borrowing as a stand alone entity . I would venture to guess they are leveraging their other assets ,say their primary residence. The question was ,can you cash flow a piece of hunting property? the answer is yes.

22-Oct-20
Looks like some options, but will take a bit of work to figure it all out.

From a purely financial standpoint I have opportunities on very low risk investments with friends that will get me 9-10% apr paid monthly (minimum $250k needed). Would have to decide if pulling cash out of a money making investment is worth a long term sit on recreational property?

Also for those that say the land value has increased 2 to 100 times, does it matter if you never plan to sell in your lifetime? Is it part of the plan to sell if needed for end of life care or expenses?

My thought is to have it for when I retire, to piddle around and hopefully take future grandkids hunting. From what I here its always better to have bought 10-20 years ago! so That's what I'm thinking of now for the future!

22-Oct-20
The tax issue can be a big deal in some areas but not here I pay no more than 500 a year for all my land.I know some of Ted Turners land he owns for I believe 2 generations then it goes back to federal gov. and he has no rights below the surface.

22-Oct-20
wild, when I got really serious about buying some land a couple years ago I talked to anyone I could that knew anything about land, farming/ranching, etc. One story I got was about a guy who cashed in his 401k and bought a bunch of land about 20-25 years ago. I immediately thought man that was dumb I'd never do that. Well he bought that land for $300-500/acre. 6-8 years ago that land was worth $3,000-4,000/acre and is worth between $2,000-$2,500 now. Thinking about it like that makes it not dumb. He's sitting on enough income yearly to more than likely live quite comfortably.

Now, there's people on here saying that land won't ever go down. I don't believe that. Like anything there is a ceiling and a lot of variables at play. Where I've been looking at buying prices have dropped considerably from 6-8 years ago.

22-Oct-20
From a financial standpoint land is not as good as the stock market. The S&P avg 13.6% per year for the last decade and is very liquid. But, as many have pointed out you can’t hunt on it and enjoy it like you can land.

22-Oct-20
Mark - I think land can be a part of a reasonably diversified portfolio. I have, on numerous occasions seen land go up faster than the S&P. Now that is not an index to an index comparison. It is a well bought piece of land vs an index. But I do think that recreational land can be bought well and a substantial profit can be made. But to do that you can't put hunting characteristics first. You put buy value first.

When I have bought recreational land as an investment I am not making the long term improvements to it to make it a great hunting property - I just don't plan on owning it long enough. Either buy to own long term with an eye on value or buy to sell and make money. They are not the same thing.

22-Oct-20
Jackaroo, the question was there a way to make land purchases in which assets of the land paid the payment. It has zero to do with anything but that. And, in almost 100% of cases, that answer is no.

22-Oct-20
I had 217 acres for ten years, it was raw land when I bought, but it had about 40 acres of plantation pine and quite abit of scattered pine timber elsewhere. I bought it strictly to hunt having given up my deer lease of 18 years that was 5.5 hours from home. I had a dozer and a backhoe, the skill to run both and so I cleaned up food plots, built a main road, and cleared a perimeter around the place. I let them cut all the timber where I needed to clear plus thin the plantation pine. That paid for my diesel and other things that I needed in my plan. I thinned some more timber a few years later to remove some of the overstory and encourage growth on the ground, both to improve browse and provide cover. I built a camphouse of 1200 sq. feet so we could stay the weekends and enjoy them in comfort.

I told all that to say this: It was fun while it lasted, but I spent too much money there. I made it pay off when I sold it as a ready-to-hunt property and owner financed. That’s the only way I can see to make a property pay in my area.

22-Oct-20
To WV's point on the original question - if I felt comfortable leveraging - I would evaluate a home equity loan or a cash-out-refi on my primary residence for my mortgage for recreational property. Should be a much lower rate than a land mortgage and, unless it has changed for the home equity loan, you can write it off against your ordinary income.

22-Oct-20
"What I really want is hunting land to farm within an hour's drive of a big liberal western city like Seattle."

-Said no one, ever.

22-Oct-20
WV,

It’s the first sentence on this thread.

“For the investment financial planner types or those who know, Is there any way to make a hunting property A money making investment?“

Zero about assets on the land making the payments.

The answer is yes depending on location.

I have heard a lot of people say it’s 100% impossible, I have been doing this for 30 years, try to sell that to a banker. When I do I see someone that is about to be forced out of his industry by a younger more creative person that realizes there is a thousand more ways to get something done today that at anytime in history. The level of resources, the dissemination of information and the infrastructure available to a young , hardworking , creative thinker is Un- precedented. Every single agricultural institution in the US has their documents online. You can sit at your computer instead of the TV and punch up the financial expectations , how to, actual outcomes for almost anything you can do with a piece of land in any area in the US. It’s free.

23-Oct-20
So by now you have your answer with all the thoughtful posts above. I will give my journey and maybe it will help a few folks to look at land as a long term investment opportunity.

I bought my first property in 2007 at an auction in Toronto KS, 150 acres at 1K an acre and sold it 6 years later for 1.8k an acre. We did have a gas lease that paid 4K a year. It took considerable effort to convince my wife to make this first investment and it’s paid off as you will see the additional transactions below. Taxes were $225 a year.

Took this money with the flip and purchased 400 acres in KY for $950 per acre, sold it two years later for $1800 per acre. No income from the property but taxes were dirt cheap $425 and I just about doubled my money.

Used this next opportunity to buy another auction property in IL for $2250 an acre and it included a rental house 6k per year income and had 30 acres of tillable paying on average 2.5k per year. Taxes are $1600 a year so its cash positive and allowing me to fund improvements and pay my expenses for food plots etc. I also logged a portion of this property for 12k in additional income. At a future date I hope to log the rest for an additional 15k.

With the left over funds, I bought another distressed 52 acre property with house and 4 acre pond, this is my current headquarters. Purchased at $3,750 an acre and logged it for 22k income. This property now can be sold for $4,200 an acre due to the house and stocked pond and the logging allowed major house improvements.

I would encourage people to invest in land, as Pat notes above it’s a long term investment that in my view will never lose money. Regardless of where your journey starts, any small investment will have a return in a few short years, more so if you build it out accordingly. If you are patient and do extensive homework to learn the real values in certain locations, there are some great buys. My only advice, don’t become attached to a land investment, pull the trigger when it’s time to sell at a peak value and another great deal comes along so you can continue to upgrade. Also, don’t build some crazy expensive home And expect a major return, rarely does that add value and it only drives up your tax bill. When I retire, investing in hunting properties and working on improvements will become my new job to keep me busy.

23-Oct-20
Jackaroo, you are splitting hairs. Because the concluding paragraph asks exactly that. As it’s the topic of his post.

23-Oct-20
This is a great thread. We recently purchased 48 acres primarily for hunting, I'll throw in our experince. I've been fortunate to hunt on private ground my entire life but the last few years have brought changes with families dynamics and leasing and I could see a day coming when my kids may not have any place to hunt. I've always wanted my own place but we are very adversed to risk and debt and ground prices in our area are 4-5K/acre or more. Last year some ground became available in the exact right location and I finally talked my wife into pulling the trigger. It was a 40 acre more/less pacel that was 22 acres timber and roughly 20 acres of grown over pasture with every size locust thorn tree imaginable. We also bought 7 acres of tillable ground to get to the back 40. Paid an average of $2,552/acre for all of it. I've hunted less than a half mile from this property my entire life and knew the hunting was very good, but had never been on it before.

We had no debt and a paid for 200K home but not nearly enough liquid money to pay for the ground. The easiest way for us to get the cash was to take a mortgage out on the house, still makes me sick to think that we actually did it but we did. With the rates being so low it was the most economical way of doing it. We closed last November and have since started doing improvements. The woods was timbered this spring and that brought in $27K most of which we threw on the mortgage. I paid a local excavator $3,400 cash to push out the entire grown over pasture. This was a tough call because it was so thick and held deer like ticks, but I couldnt just let the thorn trees continue to go unchecked. I was furloughed from work this spring thanks to covid so I spent a month of hard labor grubbing the ground and a farmer friend put out 15 acres of beans that he harvested last week.

As I said, we bought the ground primarily as a place to hunt and I can tell you that actually owning your own hunting ground, no matter how big or small, does not compare to having permission to hunt anywhere else. Another benefit for us in buying this ground is that we now have plenty of space for both of our kids to put a house up in the future if they want to. With the work we have done to reclaim the pasture we will be able to cash rent around 25 acres that will bring in around 3K per year. The taxes are next to nothing right now.

So, while not a great investment, especially considering that we had to borrow against our house, this ground is already worth considerably more than what we paid for it. Mostly because we cleared the grown over pasture and converted it to tillable. I had to give up a lot of deer habitat to do that but I felt that I had to do something with the thorn trees. We have a 4-5 year time line to pay of the rest of the mortgage and then we will continue to max out retirement. We have a considerable amount(to us) in 401k and other retirment accounts already. Our son helped us a ton this year by getting a full ride to our local university. I'm glad to have this ground as part of our "portfolio" and the plan will be to leave it to our kids so that whoever wants to hunt will have a place to go.

23-Oct-20
Right now leasing land for solar power is huge. I have a friend who leased 50 acres with a great southern exposure to a power company for 10 grand a month for the next 20 years. The amount goes up 500 a month every year of the lease. The only thing is that portion of his property is fenced in and he cannot use it all during that time. Shawn

23-Oct-20
This is one of the better threads lots of good info! I know Pat cleared it up up but a 750k farm paying 75k a year would be a solid buy, assuming your talking about hands off money.

The least amount of work to have hunting land make money for me, Is subdivide. Then 1031 a section or build a rental, cashout refi in 6 months (the rental), sell/flip accordingly to continue to upgrade. Once your in the green keep doing it and think of retirement.

23-Oct-20
Good read and a nice timely thread. I have a small hunting property in Northern, Ohio which also has a barn, one additional out building, a tennis court, windmill, and a good sized house. We completely remodeled the house when we bought the property 8 years ago. It was something out of the 80s and we have updated everything including adding geo-thermal. There is no doubt it’s worth substantially more than when we bought it. We have improved every aspect of the property. The hunting is average and I am in no way attached to the property. My father is rather sick so I am glad we are close but when the time comes and he is gone I (we) have decided we are heading South. The family is on board. I am in the beginning stages of looking for a tract of land in Southern Ohio in that 100-200 acre range. I have enjoyed many of the comments, perspective, and advice this far.

23-Oct-20
Shawn - I had a solar company approach me on my small piece. I did not move forward because they would pay $900 per ac per year but the panels and fencing are disruptive and they only use a portion of your ground. What if they go out of business or abandon and leave you with a mess? Would have been an eye sore Sounded good until I considered. Maybe I was incorrect??

23-Oct-20
Again, Pat said the guy had a salary of 75K a year and bought a 750K farm. It wasn't the farm that was making 75K. It was the guy at his job. He was pointing out that the guy bought something that he couldn't afford on his wage.

24-Oct-20
Thanks for all the ideas. Lots of good information.

• Sitka Gear