MQQSE 24-Oct-20
writer 24-Oct-20
PK 24-Oct-20
writer 24-Oct-20
longbeard 24-Oct-20
21-Oct-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo
I thought the shot was perfect. He was broadside at 25 yards. Was surprised to see little blood. Followed it 45 yards and backed out in rain. I even heard the traditional thump upon impact.

Do many of you see deer go far and leave little blood on high lung hits?

21-Oct-20

MQQSE's embedded Photo
MQQSE's embedded Photo

21-Oct-20
Not necessarily see them go noticeably further, but definitely less blood sign.

21-Oct-20
Yes, however most who believe they have a high lung are actually too high. The spine deviates downward in the chest area. Good luck and I hope you are in the lungs. I have seen a lot of dead deer leave scant blood trails, even when hit well.

21-Oct-20
They will leave a lot less blood, the cavity has to fill with blood before much comes out, 45 yards is no where to track, with it raining I would have never stopped . Hope you find him , beautiful deer. Forrest

22-Oct-20
Good luck, IMO if you hit too high, above the spine, you would've had good blood, the backstrap bleeds pretty good. Looking forward to pics

22-Oct-20
As Troy said, it’s a high percentage shot, but it’s not gonna leave a good blood trail unless it comes out low on the offside. Good luck, hope you find him.

22-Oct-20
Only if you’re up high and the exit is low chest. If not, they die by internal blood loss and leave a sparse blood trail. Hope you find him.

22-Oct-20
Good luck! Won't be much blood until he tips over.

22-Oct-20
Good luck on this recovery.

22-Oct-20
I just shot a buck last week with a high lung hit on entrance, exiting dead center middle opposite side. There was really good blood and the deer ran only 60 yards. However, I’ve been on the opposite side of that also. On one hunt, What looked like a perfect hit, turned into a lost buck with little to no blood. I tracked that deer as well as I could for over a half mile, with a bad outcome. Then on another hunt I killed one of my biggest bucks with again, by sight, a perfect high lung hit with a good angle down. I watched that deer run 120 yrds, stand still for nearly 5 minutes twitching it’s tail before he layed down. He got up 5 minutes later and moved forward 20 yards before he expired. Upon inspection, a perfect X in both lungs. With snow on the ground for this hunt, I was surprised to see little blood during the tracking. I hate to bring this to a “type of broad head” discussion but I can tell you I switched immediately after those two hunts. Those hunts were about three weeks apart

23-Oct-20
I grunted in a buck a few years ago and double lunged him. I watched him fall. when I got to him I was amazed to see a hole all the way through him and wondered how in the world he survived that hit that someone else had made. When I field dressed him I found that the other persons arrow had just barely gone over the spine. the spine was low in that area. I talked to my neighbor and he said he had shot the deer a week before and they spent almost all night trying to track it down. So in one week the buck survived and came to a grunt call. They can be tough critters and the spine can be a lot lower than you think in one area.

24-Oct-20
Opposite for me. Last year I shot a doe and I thought the shot was way too high. She was down hill, I heard her crash, and there was enough blood to track her about 60 yards where she crashed and expired.

24-Oct-20
You can centerpunch the heart and get about zero blood on the ground; I’ve done it. One drop about the size of a capital O on my phone screen, that I found where the arrow snapped off.

Lucky for me, I saw him drop.

Meat and fat will close up a wound channel, keeping blood in and air out. Those two things make for a longer, harder tracking job, unless you’re so good that all you need is tracks. And if the lungs don’t collapse, they’re gonna live for a bit. Seems to me that they can go a lot longer low on blood volume than on low oxygen.

Big entry & exit seem like they oughtta help, but placement seems like it might help more. I’m trying to train myself to hit the 9:00 mark on the 10-ring on a broadside. Otherwise, the meat of the shoulder can slide over the hole through the ribcage and once those holes aren’t lined up, it’s almost like they aren’t even there...

24-Oct-20
Any luck finding it?

Super sharp blades pay off in more blood. High hits usually don’t leave much blood

24-Oct-20
Doesn’t bode well that he has not been back with an update :-(

24-Oct-20
No luck. I went out the following morning and picked up the blood again where I left off. I never found another drop. The blood that was there hadn’t washed away as we were spared any of the heavier rains in northern MO that evening.

I then spent several hours using my GPS and covering circular area and never saw a hair from that deer. The shot looked very good and I am just stunned that he didn’t expire within 100 yards.

24-Oct-20

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Last years buck gave one drop of blood along the trail but died at about 80 yards. Was blood all over from mouth and nose as he spun at the end. High lung, but only about 8 feet off the ground and 21 yard shot.

24-Oct-20
gotta keep looking. i've found them much further than 100 yds and even in the opposite direction i seen them run off from. good luck. watch and listen for the crows....

24-Oct-20
Last years buck gave one drop of blood along the trail but died at about 80 yards. Was blood all over from mouth and nose as he spun at the end. High lung, but only about 8 feet off the ground and 21 yard shot.

24-Oct-20
I just shot a buck last week with a high lung hit on entrance, exiting dead center middle opposite side. There was really good blood and the deer ran only 60 yards. However, I’ve been on the opposite side of that also. On one hunt, What looked like a perfect hit, turned into a lost buck with little to no blood. I tracked that deer as well as I could for over a half mile, with a bad outcome. Then on another hunt I killed one of my biggest bucks with again, by sight, a perfect high lung hit with a good angle down. I watched that deer run 120 yrds, stand still for nearly 5 minutes twitching it’s tail before he layed down. He got up 5 minutes later and moved forward 20 yards before he expired. Upon inspection, a perfect X in both lungs. With snow on the ground for this hunt, I was surprised to see little blood during the tracking. I hate to bring this to a “type of broad head” discussion but I can tell you I switched immediately after those two hunts. Those hunts were about three weeks apart

• Sitka Gear