Boone 23-Oct-20
W 23-Oct-20
Cazador 23-Oct-20
sitO 24-Oct-20
mnhunter 05-Dec-20
Scooby-doo 06-Dec-20
LTG 11 07-Dec-20
23-Oct-20
Looking at Kansas. Would anyone be willing to share any tips or info on hunting public/ walk in hunt areas? Would be looking at going during the rut. When looking at the Kansas wildlife site do all non residents have to pay the mule deer stamp fee on top of the whitetail permit fee? Thanks for any help

23-Oct-20
No you don’t have to buy anything for mule deer if your not interested in hunting them. Stop at WalMart or have the Parks and wildlife Dept mail you a walk-in hunting atlas that shows all the deer, Turkey, predator hunting areas. It is broken down by county and private land open to hunting in each county.

23-Oct-20
You know you have to apply, right?

23-Oct-20
If you did not draw a tag you won't be going this year. Also a lot depends on which part of the state you are hunting. My best advise is to hunt as far away from major towns as possible. Also just because a property looks to have sparse cover don't overlook it. Lots of big bucks are killed miles from the closest tree or bottom. Also if ya have time, scout the first couple days. You are still hunting but learning if there are deer on a piece is what's important and if you find hit sign hunt it immediately. Shawn

23-Oct-20
You have to draw the tag, Kansas is pretty straight forward. Really no good advise to give other than that most people overthink it. Pull the tag and hunt them just like you would in Minnesota and you’ll have a blast

23-Oct-20
Non residents only have to pay the extra mule deer stamp fee if they want to be put in the mule deer drawing once the initial deer drawing is complete. Then if you draw for mule deer you get an Any Deer tag. If you don't draw for mule deer you get a Whitetail Only tag and your mule deer stamp money back. Of course this option is only available in certain units.

23-Oct-20
All good advice above.

Even Shawn's, though he's not hunting here this year. :-)

23-Oct-20
Did you already draw a tag? The Mule deer stamp is also a draw, so you can elect not to put in for it. Odds are low you would get it anyway.

23-Oct-20
How many years does it typically take to draw a tag?

23-Oct-20
Avoid pheasant season on public land.

23-Oct-20
It takes no years to draw for the most part. Good hunting, some years, and like any other place the next a guy or a stand in every other tree.

Getting away from towns does help, problem is when you do that long drives back and forth as many places don’t have parks or campgrounds.

I’d spend a day or two knocking on doors to get on some private land if you’re serious about hunting KS year after year.

24-Oct-20

sitO's Link
Please call the KDWP for any questions on tags. There are some knowledgeable folks here, but you need to make sure you're getting official answers. Good luck, and treat her like she were your own!

05-Dec-20
Yes I know you have to draw a tag. I'm looking at the north east part of Kansas like unit 10 or 9. Has anyone stayed at any of the campgrounds that offer year round camping or have some spots available during the season? Do they allow primitive camping?

06-Dec-20
Thanks Writer, drew Iowa so no Kansas, would of been 12 in just tags. I bought a point for next year. Also I would say you may be better off hunting the early season on public. You won't run into a 1/10th of the hunters you will during the rut. Shawn

07-Dec-20
I live in KC. I have hunted up that way a decent amount. Topeka, Manhattan, Lawerence, and KC are all with an hour or two of those areas. That area gets alot of attention. It is also one of the easiest places for people from NY, Penn, Wi, MN, MO, Ill, etc. Just based off of the license plates I have seen where I hunt.

The rut gets very crowded. You will need to have multiple, multiple spots to choose from and be ready to bounce around. People will try and beat you to your spot or set up next to you, etc.

That said. You can certainly shoot bucks there. But I don't hunt there in November anymore. Too frustrating. Most of the non-wiha public is around lakes and rivers up there and there are campsites that will be open.

• Sitka Gear