onX Maps
Where to get a goodstring and cable set?
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
Fisher 25-Oct-20
carcus 25-Oct-20
Fisher 25-Oct-20
craigmcalvey 25-Oct-20
Bou'bound 25-Oct-20
Bowboy 25-Oct-20
PAbowhunter1064 25-Oct-20
pa10point 25-Oct-20
ELKMAN 25-Oct-20
PECO 25-Oct-20
JL 25-Oct-20
Jethro 25-Oct-20
cord62 25-Oct-20
PAbowhunter1064 25-Oct-20
paul@thefort 25-Oct-20
Fisher 26-Oct-20
jwoolwy7mm 26-Oct-20
Scrappy 26-Oct-20
No Mercy 26-Oct-20
olebuck 26-Oct-20
Raiders 27-Oct-20
Boatman71 27-Oct-20
bowhuntbob 27-Oct-20
wyobullshooter 03-Nov-20
JL 04-Nov-20
Rookie 05-Nov-20
midwest 05-Nov-20
Bowboy 05-Nov-20
WapitiBob 05-Nov-20
sasquatch 06-Nov-20
Shuteye 08-Nov-20
DMTJAGER 16-Nov-20
WapitiBob 16-Nov-20
Boatman71 16-Nov-20
25-Oct-20
Hello fellow bowhunters. I have been absent for awhile and now have the opportunity to check in.

I have looked without success all over this website looking for a bit of information. By using my older gear that is great to me and has held up so well, I have gotten out of touch with current manufacturers of bow gear. So getting to the point, I am looking for a maker of an excellent quality string and cable set for a Mathews Switchback LD.

I am interested in string makers who work in their basements or garages so long as the make a good accurate product. I am also interested in the larger operations like Winner’s Choice. So who do you recommend that makes an excellent product?

Thanks and best wishes.

25-Oct-20
Archeryshack makes some good ones and he has sales on from time to time, lots of good strings builders, pick a good material, don't go for the cheapest

25-Oct-20
I will check out Archeryshack. My current string and cable setup was made using the good stuff. I enjoy the string and cable made from premium material for premium results. Not looking for the cheapest, just maybe the best or close. Thanks!

25-Oct-20
Jbk bowstrings.

25-Oct-20
60x

25-Oct-20
Another vote for 60x.

I ordered some strings from JBK and he made the wrong length also he's hard to get hold of.

25-Oct-20
Catfish Customs is the best I’ve found. Cheapest price for top notch quality strings and cables. If you have questions, the man always answers his phone. That means a lot in today’s world!

25-Oct-20
Twisted x is the best i have used.

25-Oct-20
Mike over at Catfish for sure

25-Oct-20
Winners Choice are excellent, but you will pay top dollar for them. I got some from 60x for a Drenalin that I had. They were excellent strings and about half the price of Winners Choice. I would not hesitate to use 60x again.

25-Oct-20
Looking at the 60x and Catfish strings.......they each offer different string material to build up the strings and cables. What is the experienced opinion on the best string material to build up the string/cables? My bow is an 80lb, 32" dual cam, APA Mamba II set at 72lbs. Thanks....

25-Oct-20
I got a Catfish string for the first time this summer. Quick service and Mike answered my email questions promptly. I got X99 material. That was his recommendation. I'm happy with it.

25-Oct-20
60x

25-Oct-20
BCY X99 has been great for me.

25-Oct-20
did 60x this year and I am satisfied with the product.

26-Oct-20
Wow, a lot of great info. I really appreciate your experience with a builder good or bad. The comments about your experiences are very helpful, especially the suggestion that two makers are equivalent, but one costs double. I will look at websites to review their products, materials, and recommendations. By the way, I do have another bow to use in the interim. Thank you!!!

26-Oct-20
Catfish Customs!!!!

26-Oct-20
My last two sets from JBK were great but I won't be buying from him again due to the fact it took three months to get each set.

26-Oct-20
Vapor Trail makes awesome strings

26-Oct-20
i have bought vapor trail and winners choice. winners choice are my favorite.

27-Oct-20
another for winners choice vapor trail are also very good

27-Oct-20
Another Catfish Customs faithful customer here. A lot of my shooting buddies swear by other strings - some very high end (or at least high priced) and I see them messing with their peeps a lot due to twist. Put a set of catfish customs on , get the peep set, and it NEVER moves even after thousands and thousands of shots. As said before, Mike is also the best at answering his phone and questions.

27-Oct-20
60x

03-Nov-20
I've used JBK for awhile now, but I've heard some complaints over the past 6 months or so and decided to try someone else. I checked out Catfish's website and decided to try him first. I left a voicemail last Friday, then tried again today and still no answer. I then called 60X and they answered a few questions I had. They have pre-made string and cable sets for my Bowtech and I should have a set sometime towards the end of next week.

04-Nov-20
On Monday I found out a local archery place has the jigs, stretchers and tensiometers to make cables and strings. I guess they have been doing cables and strings for quite some time and I didn't know it (until I needed a new string and cable!). I took my bow in on Monday and got a call today (72 hours) it's ready for pick up. It's supposed to be turn-key ready to shoot except for a new cable slide they didn't have. I got a quote of $80-$90 bucks. I was surprised at the quick turnaround as I was #5 or #6 in line on Monday when I dropped it off.

05-Nov-20
Hog wire strings! I have ordered three sets no problems of any kind.

05-Nov-20
Has anyone tried America's Best bowstrings? Heard good things.

05-Nov-20
Midwest my buddy uses them but there kind of pricey.

05-Nov-20
A shooter friend of mine had them send him a set a cpl years ago and they stretched like a rubber band.

06-Nov-20
very impressed with a guy who sells on ebay. Palmettooutdoors is his handle

I can also vouch for jbk

08-Nov-20
I am lucky since I live about a mile and a half from my local bow shop. They can make a string for anything. I just take the bow and wait while they make the string. I had a real old Bear bow and took it in there. I watched Harry make the string. He took me to the shooting range and put up a ground hog target at 20 yards. Then he put an arrow dead center in the groundhog's chest. He has also made strings for my Mathews bows and they worked great.

16-Nov-20
Would someone please be so kind as to post either a link or contact into for catfish custom strings.

16-Nov-20
google and 10 seconds of your time

16-Nov-20
six one six -970-5three55 is Mike's number at Catfish

• Sitka Gear