BIGERN 25-Oct-20
standswittaknife 25-Oct-20
IdyllwildArcher 25-Oct-20
Scar Finga 25-Oct-20
Linecutter 25-Oct-20
Bentstick54 25-Oct-20
writer 25-Oct-20
25-Oct-20
My little brother shot his first deer with a bow yesterday morning.

Wasn't sure of the shot, he said it felt good but he didn't see the impact.

We tracked it to the river. Looked to me like a liver/gut shot-not a ton of blood. Arrow passed thru.

We couldn't find him last night. Found him this morning he died in the river. River is dang cold and clear (for Iowa).

Would the meat be good? We are to gut and skin him. Its his 2nd deer ever, first with a bow.

Really hoping he can get to enjoy the meat.

Thoughts?

25-Oct-20
I would eat it.

25-Oct-20
One of the best tasting whitetail deer I ever ate died under the same situation that you describe. I think that you are in for a good feed as long as the paunch was not breached. Good luck and good eating.

25-Oct-20
I’m betting it will be just fine

25-Oct-20
I'd be wondering if the river water is clean...ie...not alot of bacteria?

25-Oct-20
Meat should be fine. Being in the water would only speed the cooling, should help things.

25-Oct-20
We had a doe die in our lake from a cut shot. They don’t tow well when dead and waterlogged. Great venison. We’ve put quarters in streams and lakes to cool them faster.

25-Oct-20
You’ll be fine

25-Oct-20
The insides of that deer should be as cold as the water in 6 hours or so.

25-Oct-20
We had this happen many years ago on a mulie buck and. Was good eating..

25-Oct-20
It'll be fine. My dad and I shot pronghorn at the same time and one of them had to sit so we made the decision to throw his in a metal tank that was well-fed with freezing cold water. He was in there a long time and the meat was great.

25-Oct-20
Water is fine! No worries, I would eat it!

25-Oct-20
I have eaten deer like that. The cold water cooled the deer quickly and also will slow any bacteria growth if gut shot. DANNY

25-Oct-20
Yep, been there before. Buck died in a 30 acre watershed lake. He ate just fine.

25-Oct-20
Landowner asked me to come finish one that had been hit by a car, bedded at the base of a dam. Easy "sneak". Shot the thing perfect, it ran out into the pond and died. The pond was below their pens that held sheep, pigs and, I think, a steer or two. Had to wade out and get it.

• Sitka Gear