GIT R DONE 01-Nov-20
GIT R DONE 01-Nov-20
Bowboy 01-Nov-20
Treeline 01-Nov-20
Ken 01-Nov-20
Mule Power 01-Nov-20
Knifeman 01-Nov-20
27-Oct-20
So I’d like to plan a elk hunt again . 2011 unsuccessful bow hunt. I’m open to any weapon it don’t matter to me . I def feel more confident with a rifle or ml to be honest though. I’m currently healing from a shattered tibia . 13 months now and still long way to go. I may only get one shot at this . My question is although I know no guarantees where’s my best chance to kill a good mature bull. Doesn’t not have to be a giant. I should say I currently have 8 points in Wyoming . I’m 50 I don’t see myself being able to go out west on multiple guided hunts so I’d like to get it right this time. Appreciate your help a head of time thank you

27-Oct-20
Whats your budget?

27-Oct-20
Hate to say it, but money buys access to the better places. That is unless you are extremely lucky to draw a tag in a limited access area. Secondly, after money, what’s your expectation on antler size? I may have some recommendations basis your answer to these questions.

27-Oct-20
My budget umm 1000 bucks lol well I spent 6500 to go to nm. I’m willing to save. Don’t have to be next year could be 2 years .

As far as antler size I’d be over the top thrilled at a 300 but what size elk is compArable to a 125 inch whitetail . I think a 125 inch deer looks awesome on the wall wgat compares to that in a elk?? 250 260 ???

28-Oct-20
Realistically if you are looking for anything near a 300 class bull, you need to find a good guide that has a quality hunting area. As a newbie elk hunter, on your own with an OTC tag, you have about a 5% chance of getting an elk and less than a 1% chance at such a large bull. Most OTC units have about a 10% success rate. Some are higher for sure, but most elk are taken by the same 10% of the hunters each season and the remainder are up for grabs. I am not trying to discourage you, but giving you a more realistic picture.

28-Oct-20
If I wanted a 300 inch elk I would start off a 5 to seven year plan versus a one and done. First question is why not 270 or 280? This helps drive you to your goal. Next is I would apply multiple states. Personally I would probably go with the random NM draw, play points in Wyoming, I would donate money to the Arizona draw. Last but least I opt for DIY and try to go at least 3 or 4 time in seven years. I would learn how to elk as opposed to sticking a bull and glowing over it without becoming an elk hunter versus an elk killer. Talk to guys that DIY it with super success. There are several here on Bowsite. One and done seems to be a very shallow victory to me but whatever works for you! I was successful on my first four DIY elk hunts and collage killed on my sixth hunt so you can be successful on your own. I would buy elk it’s play book, read everything that I could on the elk thread and other sources. I would try to go for an extended time if possible. It is hard to drive West and be successful in a week. I normally opt to hunt for at least 10 days. In NM I max out whatever season that I draw. Frankly, I have not ever been unsuccessful on an elk hunt because I never regretted the hunt even if I did not kill. Also, I have not ever shot a bull that was A 6x5 or better but any elk is a good elk and hard earned 270 could be more rewarding than your vaunted 300. The best way to kill a 125 whitetail is to go where you can have a chance at a 150 so I would use the same strategy to kill a 300 class elk. Do the research and ask poignant questions to hunters, biologist, and others. People are much likely to share information with someone who has put in the appropriate sweat equity over the novice asking where can I kill a biggun! If you do these things you may even become an elk hunter and that would be far more worthy than killing a 300 and portraying an elk hunter.

28-Oct-20
Git- " I’d be over the top thrilled at a 300 but what size elk is compArable to a 125 inch whitetail . I think a 125 inch deer looks awesome on the wall what compares to that in a elk?? 250 260 ???"

Yes, you are right. P&Y whitetail is 125" and P&Y American Elk is 260" so comparable trophy comparison.

28-Oct-20
So I’d be thrilled at a 250 260 elk . Like I’ve said I don’t need to bow hunt. Some guys want that 350 plus bull of a life time . 260 would be my bull of a life time.

28-Oct-20
My gut say NM is the best place for you to look...

28-Oct-20
Share your points with a guy that knows general elk areas in Wyoming. By piggy backing off your points ask if you could have first crack at a good bull with their help. 250-260 is very realistic.

29-Oct-20

eBike John's Link
Have you tried this site for hunts?

29-Oct-20
I would love to have ya come with us.

29-Oct-20
I’d look at New Mexico, private land, and a sizable piece of elk habitat land, say over 10,000 acres. I think you should consider paying $7-10 grand for that kind of hunt, and that should give you a high percentage at a shot at a mature elk. That does not guarantee an elk on the wall.

01-Nov-20
So I’d be thrilled at a 250 260 elk . Like I’ve said I don’t need to bow hunt. Some guys want that 350 plus bull of a life time . 260 would be my bull of a life time.

01-Nov-20
My budget umm 1000 bucks lol well I spent 6500 to go to nm. I’m willing to save. Don’t have to be next year could be 2 years .

As far as antler size I’d be over the top thrilled at a 300 but what size elk is compArable to a 125 inch whitetail . I think a 125 inch deer looks awesome on the wall wgat compares to that in a elk?? 250 260 ???

01-Nov-20
I'd go with Forestbows.

01-Nov-20
Talk to Forest...

01-Nov-20
I hunted with Forest this year and highly recommend you talk to him.

01-Nov-20
8 points... call Phil Rutt at Triple Three Outfitters. You could go to Harrisburg Pa and meet with him in February.

01-Nov-20
Hunted with Forest this year, booked again. Id go with him.

• Sitka Gear