Scrappy 28-Oct-20
APauls 28-Oct-20
petedrummond 29-Oct-20
APauls 29-Oct-20
LKH 29-Oct-20
Milhouse 30-Oct-20
petedrummond 30-Oct-20
28-Oct-20
I'm looking for a good idea for anchoring a decoy.... I've tried tent stakes, that "somewhat" work, but I've struggled to really come up with something that really holds one steady. Attaching the stake to the decoy, so it all stays together is the biggest challenge. The wind up here never really quits.... what, if anything can you guys suggest that works? I know, nothing is gonna work in gale force winds, but there has to be something for at least moderate winds. Thanks in advance.

28-Oct-20
rebar through the body down the leg.

28-Oct-20

sitO's Link
I use a set of cheap metal skewers from Walmart(see link)...and we have plenty of wind here in KS trust me.

28-Oct-20
I use all thread rod i cut down to around ten inches. Sharpened one end and bent the other end over. Drilled holes in all four hoofs on my carrylite decoy to push them through. I don't remember what size rod I used but just let your imagination take over while your at the hardware store.

28-Oct-20

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Mike-Primos makes some great blind stakes-they have big foot steps and work awesome.

28-Oct-20
Thanks for the replies and info.... I've got a spot I want to try this weekend, and am gonna have to makeshift something for the time being....I have some 3/8" rebar stakes i can fashion into something. I'm going kinda go off that primos design.... but it won't be exactly the same, so no patent infringement.

;)

28-Oct-20
I do virtually the same thing as scrappy. I drilled a hole near the ankle of the deer, and through the bottom of the hoof on my carrylite. Because they are drilled through the side, and come out the bottom, they go into the ground at an angle, and that allows it to hold even in a cross wind. The stakes that came with it are plenty long and strong, but I lost two, and replaced them with 1/4 inch cold rolled steel I sharpened on one end, and bent at the other. I wrap the rods when not in use in a piece of cloth to prevent them from clunking and rattling against one another, and keep them in a 12 inch art supply bag, that you'd keep pencils and rulers in. That bag simply slides in your day pack.

28-Oct-20

petedrummond's embedded Photo
petedrummond's embedded Photo
Get one electric fence post for 2 bux. Drill hole in stomach of decoy. Put post in ground. Slip decoy over fence post through hole in stomach. Takes 10 seconds.

28-Oct-20
Pete, that is a tremendous idea! I have thosevexactvsame posts I was going to cut for stakes.

28-Oct-20

Scrappy's Link
Just a funny example of how well the threaded stakes work. Warning strong violent sexual content.

28-Oct-20
Jealous of people that have ground that isn’t frozen when using decoys

29-Oct-20
Buy several and put them in ground before it freezes I have posts in all the spots I decoy they only cost 2 bucks

29-Oct-20
Jealous of people that have ground that isn’t frozen when using decoys

29-Oct-20
If you have access to empty barbed wire spools, take a bolt cutter and cut out the "U" shaped ends. Make them as long as possible. One spool will make 8. Even though each wire is only about 3/16" having 2 wires really seems to provide a great deal of hold.

30-Oct-20
APauls.... mine is "frozen-ish".

I will be able to knock a stake into the ground.... it's only froxen a couple inches down, for the moment, and it's been warming up. I'm going to try Pete Drummands idea..... 1 electric fencing post (3/8" rebar) with a hole drilled through the belly of the deke. I may have to cut the "fins" partially off the post. I'm also looking at a base the post could be set into so pounding it in will not be necessary.

30-Oct-20
The fins let you step on post to put it in ground so you dont need a hammer. If the ground is dry or frozen put it in a crack. If ground is muddy fins stop post from turning or pulling out leave them on

• Sitka Gear