stick slinger's embedded Photo
I’m off to Iowa for some deer hunting with my dad. He’s a resident and I finally started getting points a couple years ago knowing that if I never started, it wouldn’t happen. My parents live in Washington county which is southern zone 7. There aren’t any world records here, but there are some nice deer around. He’s been running some trail cams and a few of the bucks would would get me pretty excited. Growing up in northwestern Ontario, my dad’s the one who taught me how to hunt and passed on the passion. I grew up moose hunting with him and we did some bear hunting and lots of small game. We were just north of the whitetail population. The Dryden buck that was poached, has been my gold standard for racks since I saw pictures of it. That was a few hours south of me. Anyhow, dads a little old school in that he hunts out of ladder stands, sits still and waits for one to come by. I prefer to be a little more mobile and aggressive. I’m in the treestand now, here until Sunday then back the second week in November. In fact, at first light I had a nice buck cruise by the field edge this morning about 45 yards. I think he was the wide 8 that we have on camera here, but couldn’t quite tell. I grunted a couple times then lost him, couldn’t tell where he went. I had another 2.5 year old 8 come in to rattling, but got down wind of me and buggered off. I’ve enjoyed the bow site stories over the years and thought this year I could contribute a little. I’ll try to update a couple times a day

30-Oct-20
Good luck! Keep us posted!

30-Oct-20
Good luck, Iowa is a special place for sure. I cant wait to get back there.

30-Oct-20
Good luck. I am headed to Iowa on Sunday can't wait.

30-Oct-20
Good luck

30-Oct-20
Good luck! Looking forward to this thread and how it plays out.

30-Oct-20
Good luck! I'm driving out on Sunday as well.

30-Oct-20
Have the next 24 days off will be bouncing between unit 9 iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin. My 16 year old has his first bow iowa tag this year. Leaving for thier this afternoon and he’s pumped!!!!!

30-Oct-20
Good luck, I will be hunting a couple counties west of you :-)

30-Oct-20
Good luck, Kendall!

30-Oct-20
Thanks you too!!!!

30-Oct-20
Jealous! Best of luck, I hope to draw a Zone 4 tag next year.

30-Oct-20
Good luck!

30-Oct-20
Thanks you too!!!!

30-Oct-20
Good luck. Some nice deer running around there.

30-Oct-20
I tried a few times to get on bowsite to update this afternoon, but couldn’t get on for some reason. Anyhow, had a beautiful evening. Not much action, had a potential shooter cross the river (really low right now) 150 yards away. No response to grunting. I got to watch a bobcat for a little while (a first for me) which was pretty cool. Dad saw a doe and some turkeys.

30-Oct-20

Keep getting error messages when I try to upload photos. I’ll try again here.

30-Oct-20

Part of my view this evening.
Part of my view this evening.
I hunted out of my new lone wolf hand climber for the first time tonight. I had a crappy tree, but I was happy with ease of use and very quiet. We’re back out in the same area in the morning

31-Oct-20
I felt like the Disney villain as I walked through the field on my in this morning. The full moon cast a shadow on the corn stalks that danced as I walked. It was a little magical until I got to where I was wanting to set up and could find a tree for my climber. After a bit I set up , but feel pretty exposed. Now I’m chilled from working up a sweat and trying to stay warm by reading Kota-man’s warm clothing reviews.

31-Oct-20

Dad just texted that he passed a nice 9. It’s been silent in my neighborhood.

31-Oct-20

31-Oct-20

31-Oct-20

When they give you a tag in Iowa, it comes with an antlerless tag as well. I got this doe when I was out a few weeks ago. We made deer sticks and jerky that’s helping me get through to lunch.

31-Oct-20
I absolutely Love Iowa and Kansas. I look forward each year for the time I’m going to spend there. Good Luck!!

31-Oct-20
Good luck, one of my favourite places to hunt, unfortunately this year I can’t cross the border. How did you cross?

31-Oct-20

31-Oct-20

Creek name is erased
Creek name is erased
Sorry, the photos edit tool isn’t working so I can’t rotate my photos and I forget to take them in landscape orientation. Out for the evening. Warm and windy, but I’m in Iowa so I’ll sit. Hang and hunt on a pinch point. Couple fresh scrapes close by. I have the decoy out, so far hasn’t blown over. Small buck getting out of the wind over across the creek. I saw a few more photos of the nine my dad passed this morning, I would have had a hard time passing him. I need to keep reminding myself that I’m in Iowa and don’t shoot the first nice buck that comes along.

31-Oct-20

31-Oct-20
Skull, did you get a tag this year? If I remember right, I read about your Iowa hunt on Ontario Trophy Bucks, but maybe it was on here.

I’m living in Indiana now so it’s about a 5.5 hour drive for me. We were really hoping to do a canoe trip back home this summer, but the 2 week quarantine was prohibitive.

31-Oct-20
Isn't the Iowa doe tag adhesive? You tied it on?

31-Oct-20
Stick, yes you’re correct it was Ontario Trophy Bucks, unfortunately I can only draw a tag every 4 years in Iowa, I didn’t draw this year, I did draw tags for few different other states, I got lucky on getting my money back, Iowa is awesome Hope you kill a big one

31-Oct-20
Nozl, that was just the peel off backer laying there. That was the only picture I took of the deer. I sent it to my wife without the head in the photo so she’d wonder if it was a buck.

31-Oct-20
Not too much activity tonight. Had a spike, then a doe and fawn come out. I like the spot and plan to be back there when I’m back in a week (unless I tag out in the morning). There were some rubs and a scrape and it’s a pinch point between bedding. I hung a scent dripper over the scrape, we’ll see what happens there. Out in the morning for the last sit this trip.

01-Nov-20

This guy passed by at 30 yards
This guy passed by at 30 yards
Temperature dropped and the wind switched to the north. Still 15-25 mph winds though. I had a little guy come by in the first hour. I switched stands about an hour ago. I should have started here. There’s been lots of activity here, including what looked to be a shooter hot on a doe about 80 yards out. I snort wheezed and he stopped, but kept after the doe. Hopefully she swings him by here.

01-Nov-20
Made it home. Feel like we got some good intel for next week. Looking forward to a little more time. Good luck everyone.

01-Nov-20
Made it home. Feel like we got some good intel for next week. Looking forward to a little more time. Good luck everyone.

01-Nov-20
One nice buck killed yesterday where I am. High 170s I think but have not measured it yet

Chasing a doe

02-Nov-20

02-Nov-20
Got into camp Sunday night. Sat this morning for about an hour and half and took a nice doe. Will be looking for horns now

02-Nov-20
Good luck! No big bucks in Iowa

03-Nov-20
Heading down Monday morning.

03-Nov-20
Good luck everyone hunting in Iowa

03-Nov-20
I should preface that I'm leaving Monday morning, IF, the country doesn't go up in a giant mushroom cloud after today.

03-Nov-20
First hunt day of my Iowa Trip was Halloween. As I type this from the tree it's 74 degrees. Up until today it hasn't hindered the deer movement. Managed to fill my tag on a 3.5-4.5 year old 140ish buck Sunday afternoon.

Good luck to when you return stick. Hopefully the weather is a little more favorable for you.

03-Nov-20
Eric, I was concerned about this warmer weather so I decided to wait until next week to hunt hard. I usually kill a buck between the 9th and the 12th.

03-Nov-20
Just sitting in a cut corn field waiting for my dad. We are in zone 4 and yes it's super warm and very little deer movement today. Yesterday morning I had deer everywhere see what tomorrow brings

03-Nov-20
Good luck! No big bucks in Iowa

04-Nov-20
How’s your hunt going?

06-Nov-20

Nice buck with drop on the right
Nice buck with drop on the right
I was planning on heading back out in the next day or two, but there’s been a few hiccups in the schedule. We’ll see what happens. It doesn’t help when I get photos like this from dad

06-Nov-20
oh man

06-Nov-20
I was planning on heading back out in the next day or two, but there’s been a few hiccups in the schedule. We’ll see what happens. It doesn’t help when I get photos like this from dad

06-Nov-20
This currently my 4th trip to zone 4 in Iowa. Very little movement today. Question I have does it ever not blow 30 mph down here

06-Nov-20
Boone, No, not many days without some wind in that part of Iowa. I was out moving a ladder stand today and thought I might get blown outta the tree.

06-Nov-20
Saw a 7 pointer chasing a doe tonight even in the 20mph wind

06-Nov-20
Yeah, I need to get back out there. Wish weather would cool down a bit

06-Nov-20
Its definitely hot. Mid day movement is not happening.

07-Nov-20

Tracker's embedded Photo
Tracker's embedded Photo
I was able to take a decent buck with my recurve this past Wednesday. It was the 7th buck I saw before killing him at 705 am.

10-Nov-20
That’s a beauty tracker. I’m back out here for a few days again. I’m currently swaying in a tree with 25 mph winds. Glad for cooler temps, but prefer less wind. Happy to be back here.

11-Nov-20
The morning was slow. A couple deer off in the distance and a young ran by within range.

I’m back up in my climber for the afternoon. I did a big loop around to get on the down wind side of bedding and travel routes. Hopeful as always. Man, having trail cam photos of nice deer adds to my impatience. I bumped a decent one on the way in. The neighbor saw a lion East of here 1/2 mile last week, so the walk out might be a little jumpy tonight.

11-Nov-20

I got into something bad along the river on the way in here. I’ve got something to keep me occupied while I wait now

11-Nov-20
My dad just texted. He got a good hit on a decent one. It crossed the river which isn’t too deep. I’m going to sit until dark then go help him track.

11-Nov-20
Please tell us you weren't walking around in those fanatic bibs. I've picked up beggars lice with my fanatic gear inside my backpack. You couldn't pay me to walk through the woods in iowa for just that reason.

11-Nov-20
Good trailing

11-Nov-20
Good luck

11-Nov-20
After the shot the deer went down, across the river and up a 20ft steep bank. We found blood on the far bank which I was happy for. I was afraid he’d die in the river and float downstream. The river’s low now, not much more than knee deep. I was glad he made it across, but it worried me that he made it up the steep bank. Since I had waders, I crossed and told him I’d look for 50 yards to make sure he wasn’t laying right there before getting wet. Well, didn’t take long to find him.

11-Nov-20

The float across
The float across
I was able to drag him to the bank and then float him across. There was a really nice buck trailing a doe on the other side as well while I was over there getting him.

11-Nov-20
Nice buck.Congrats to your dad!

We call those weeds, “pitchforks”. They are a major PITA, as are the preachers/beggars lice. You’ll have plenty fun picking them out! Good luck on the rest of your hunt!

12-Nov-20
The morning was slow in my side of the river. There was a very hefty eight pointer chasing a doe on the other side of the river, on a long point. I ran back to the house grabbed my waders. Time to get aggressive. I’m thinking he’ll keep her pinned on that point. We’ll see.

12-Nov-20
The morning was slow in my side of the river. There was a very hefty eight pointer chasing a doe on the other side of the river, on a long point. I ran back to the house grabbed my waders. Time to get aggressive. I’m thinking he’ll keep her pinned on that point. We’ll see.

12-Nov-20
A old friend taxidermist had several mid 180+ came in late last wk that were taken within 6 mis area, some good genetics and several big non-typical, one was a 18 pt.

12-Nov-20

12-Nov-20
Success

12-Nov-20
!!!

12-Nov-20
Bring it on!!

12-Nov-20
Well, I was able to wade the river and get back into my shoes on the far bank. I eased up the bank and in about 50 yards. Took my about half hour. It was quiet, not much wind noise for cover. With lots of bedding area, I kept scanning with my binoculars for any ears or antlers. I got set up on the ground in a clump of trees for cover. There was a trail coming by 2-3 yards to my right, but a couple other options where they could travel. The peninsula was narrow enough that I could shoot to either side. I sat for a while with no sing of deer. It was around 2:00 and I knew they could be bedded close. AT around 3:00 I caught movement 100 yards out and there were antlers.

12-Nov-20
Story, come on

12-Nov-20
Hell yes! Bring it. On the ground with the bow. Way to go man!!!

12-Nov-20
He was zigzagging and for a bit I thought he was heading back away. Soon I could see he was heading my way and I figured he would be coming all the way. He wasn’t the big 8, but he was nice. Around 50 yards away I could tell he was on the trail that would lead him right to me. Not sure why I waited, but I drew when he was around 15 yards. I had good cover, but I was sure he’d catch me draw. He didn’t, and the 15 yards were shrinking fast. It was so close it was hard to find what I was looking for in the peep and sight housing.

12-Nov-20
Tuned in! Enjoying the story telling. What's taking so long?

12-Nov-20
It all happened pretty fast. I picked a spot in his chest and let it fly. It hit a little left of where I wanted, probably because he was still walking, angling slightly to my right. On impact he took off running which was right past me at 2 yards. ( I stepped it off, the shot was at 9 yards.) He was headed to the end of the point, I saw he was heading to the left then I could hear water splashing. I quietly ran to the bluff overlooking the river to see where he went.

12-Nov-20

As he lay
As he lay
There he was out in the middle, on his haunches, not looking good. He tipped over and died.

I had different thoughts running through my head. That was an awesome encounter, but wasn’t the huge Iowa buck we dream about. I was happy for a fast clean kill. I texted dad right away and let him know. He was in his way. I floated him to shore and field dressed him next to the river.

12-Nov-20
Great picture! Looks big laying in the water! Congrats

12-Nov-20

The float out
The float out
Sorry, edit tool isn’t working to flip it
Sorry, edit tool isn’t working to flip it
A few more photos

12-Nov-20

I’ll try adding them as singles so I can edit

12-Nov-20

He was a fighter. Had a torn ear and cut by his eye. He also had a large calcification below his front knee, looked like a healed break.

12-Nov-20

I’ll try that one again

12-Nov-20

One last photo of the heart shot. Thanks for following. I’m already planning for the next trip. I’m very grateful for the chance to come out here and hunt with my dad. Life’s short, hunt with your family.

12-Nov-20
Nicely done, way to make it happen!

12-Nov-20
Well done congrats!

12-Nov-20
That was great....congrats!

12-Nov-20
Great story! Congrats on your buck!

12-Nov-20
Thanks for sharing your story

12-Nov-20
One less tree in Iowa with a big buck behind it!

Nice job. A mature whitetail from the ground with a bow is a hell of an accomplishment!!!

14-Nov-20
Excellent!

• Sitka Gear