nehunter 02-Nov-20
DonVathome 03-Nov-20
Mr.C 10-Nov-20
Trial153 10-Nov-20
Bou'bound 11-Nov-20
Trial153 11-Nov-20
nehunter 14-Nov-20
30-Oct-20
What has been your experience? How many other guided hunts have you been on?

30-Oct-20
8 times there but once was just for caribou. 63 other guided hunts (not for moose). Great place people and experience. It is not a slam dunk with a bow. It normally is with a gun. There are places where it is a real adventure and there are places where it is more a logging road spotting truck thing.

Going back in 2022

30-Oct-20
One trip with Ironbound in 2017. We all got our moose. My experience was mostly positive. Now that I’ve done it once there are a few things I might do different should I go again. Pretty cool adventure, though. I drove , which I really really enjoyed more than expected.

30-Oct-20
Been there 7 times with other friends truck pooling. Would pick up other clients from the east coast for the outfitter so costs to drive for me dropped by 2/3rds. 5 bulls/2 cows all rifle as bad shoulders never allowed me to bow hunt. 3 of the bulls were called in/2 were spotted and stalked. Cows were the only meat option twice. 22 trips for caribou/2 guided rest DIY. Montana deer/antelope 5 times...all guided. Montana hunts were great...the NL moose and guides were awsume! Would go back in a heartbeat. Forgot my 10 black bear trips in Quebec!

30-Oct-20
I have hunted there in the neighborhood of 25 x. Hunting Moose with a bow there can be pretty tough. It's not unlike elk hunting with the same issues with wind and weather affecting the hunt. Winds tend to be very un-predictable when you get into the trees so you tend to get busted more often than not. There are big Moose on the Island, contrary to popular sentiment, but it's like hunting big animals anywhere. Most hunts are 6 day hunts and it's tough to kill big animals with just 6 days to chase them. It seems that most people I have seen, tend to shoot anything, which happens to usually be young bulls or cows. Most people acknowledge that you need at least 10 days to have a reasonable chance at a decent bull when Elk hunting, this is kind of the same thing. Most of the guides you will find don't bow hunt, which in my opinion, means nothing when Moose hunting. They know how to hunt the moose and know where to find them, Most can call them within reasonable range and you as the hunter have to take some responsibility to be able to close the deal. A rifle hunt is a bit different, you typically hunt more open areas, bogs, barrens, rivers, where the wind is consistent and the shots tend to be farther. Your odds of killing one are substantially better on a 6 day hunt.

30-Oct-20
Hey Bou', what outfit are you hunting with?

31-Oct-20
Dean Macdonald moose Valley outfitters

Brian summarizes it perfectly above and he knows. It is not a slam dunk with a bow and the 95% success rates they tout are clearly heavy heavy gun skewed.

31-Oct-20
Thanks! I am probably rifle hunting if I go. I heard from a friend that has been all over the world that this is his favorite place. It is a really unique experience because of the people. I never gave it much thought but he likes it so much I am seriously considering it now.

31-Oct-20
Thanks Bou!

31-Oct-20
Hunted with Conne River in their archery only area “Dolland’s Pond.” Took a very nice bull on the last day and had the good fortune to share camp with Neil Summers.

01-Nov-20
Hunted with Conne River in their archery only area “Dolland’s Pond.” Took a very nice bull on the last day and had the good fortune to share camp with Neil Summers.

01-Nov-20

02-Nov-20

nehunter's Link
Should be a great Year in 2021, lots of Bulls not shot due to Covid-19. My 3rd trip in a row (except this Year).

Bow will be tough since its mostly wide open, I brought both and used the rifle last 2 days. 2 for 3 on success.

I hunt with Tuckamore Lodge, most northern tip on the Rock.

03-Nov-20
NEH good point.............

10-Nov-20
Tuckamore is to rich for my blood I wanna find a camp to go to in 2022 fly in would be cool

10-Nov-20
I am back In in 2022 with my dad, MVO been great for us.

11-Nov-20
my son and i will be there the same week and camp Trial.

11-Nov-20
Looking forward to it Grant, one of the reasons I grabbed that week. We will all have a great time

14-Nov-20
The way things are going we may never be able to cross that Border!!!

• Sitka Gear