Matt 04-Nov-20
Rickm 04-Nov-20
tradi-doerr 04-Nov-20
tradi-doerr 04-Nov-20
Bou'bound 04-Nov-20
03-Nov-20

KSMike's embedded Photo
KSMike's embedded Photo
Question for scoring experts. Would this point be considered to be normal or abnormal? Thanks.

03-Nov-20
Are you referring to the small projection coming off of the larger point? If so, it doesn’t appear that it would qualify as a point?

03-Nov-20
Yes.

03-Nov-20
It doesn’t appear to be at least one inch?

03-Nov-20
It is 1 1/2 inches long.

03-Nov-20
Let’s see the entire rack!

03-Nov-20

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Something like this.....if the point is at least one inch with a baseline drawn similar to this, AND is not wider than its length at 1”, then I would call it an abnormal point that originates from the point and not from the palm. Not sure if that makes sense or not???

03-Nov-20

KSMike's embedded Photo
KSMike's embedded Photo
Yes that makes sense. I think the question is whether it originates from the palm or from that other point.

03-Nov-20
It definitely comes from the point and not the palm.

03-Nov-20
It definitely comes from the point and not the palm.

03-Nov-20
I agree not from the palm. Great moose congrats.

03-Nov-20

cnelk's Link
Is that an Alaskan/Yukon moose?

See link

03-Nov-20
Shiras

04-Nov-20
Disregard it’s a nothing. The length is shorter than it’s base.

04-Nov-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

04-Nov-20
Beauty of a Shiras! How wide is it? I would count that as an abnormal point but I am a conservative!

04-Nov-20
50 1/2

04-Nov-20
The "not a point" originates from the palm. Follow the bloodline groove. If it was long enough, it would be a typical point.

04-Nov-20
That is incorrect....bloodlines mean absolutely nothing. It is an abnormal point IF it meets the criteria of a point. If it does not, it’s nothing.

04-Nov-20
Very nice Shiras, congrats! Don’t have a clue about the scoring of it or other critters.

04-Nov-20
Agree w/ BOHNTR. If it meets the criteria of a point measured as marked on the photo, it's an abnormal point. If not, it's just a non qualifying bump on the rack.

04-Nov-20
Roy is correct

04-Nov-20
typical point is my call.

04-Nov-20
Not trying to tell you folks what to do, but you might place some emphasis on Roy "Pope & Young - Records Chair" Grace's response.

04-Nov-20
Stud! Congrats. We helped out in Utah this year and my. Buddy killed A 501/2 inch bull as well.

Thats a beautiful bull, don't sweat the point.

04-Nov-20
Here is what B&C, P&Y go by. Since the point is not originating from another point I would call it a point. My credentials for the know-it alls, I've been an OM for B&C for 25yrs & have measured for P&Y, Long-hunters Society just as long, I have measured over 3dz moose over those 25yrs. And have measured all of Freddy Dodge's (Gold Rush show) World record muzzle-loader bulls (#1,#2,#3)

BOONE AND CROCKETT CLUB®MATERIALS RELEASE FORM FOR ALL NON-HUNTER-TAKEN TROPHIESI certify by my signature that the information I have provided on this form is accurate and correct. I also understand that all my entry materials, including photographs, as well as any additional photographs taken by Boone and Crockett (our representatives or agents) during Awards Programs or Judges Panels, or likenesses rendered from these photographs become the property of the Boone and Crockett Club and may be used to promote the Club, and its records-keeping activities.Date: Signature of Trophy Owner:BOONE AND CROCKETT CLUB® INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEASURING MOOSE Measurements must be made with a 1/4?inch wide flexible steel tape to the nearest one?eighth of an inch. Enter fractional figures in eighths, without reduction. Official measurements cannot be taken until the antlers have air dried at a habitable room temperature for at least 60 days after the animal was killed. The 60-day drying period for a trophy that has been frozen or boiled begins the day it is removed from the freezer, boiling pot, or submersion in any liquid.A. Greatest Spread is measured between perpendiculars in a straight line at a right angle to the center line of the skull.B. Number of Abnormal Points on Both Antlers: Abnormal points are those projections originating from normal points or from the upper or lower palm surface, or from the inner edge of palm (see illustration). Abnormal points must be at least one inch long, with length exceeding width at one inch or more of length.C. Number of Normal Points: Normal points originate from the outer edge of palm. To be counted a point, a projection must be at least one inch long, with the length exceeding width at one inch or more of length. Be sure to verify whether or not each projection qualifies as a point.D. Width of Palm is taken in contact with the under surface of the palm, at a right angle to the inner edge of the palm. The line of measurement should be taken from the inside edge of the palm to a dip between bumps or points at the widest outside edge of the palm. If there are no bumps or points, the width measurement is taken at the widest part of the palm. The line of measurement should begin at the midpoint of the inner edge of the palm and end at the midpoint of the edge of the palm between points or bumps, which gives credit for the desirable characteristic of palm thickness.E. Length of Palm, including brow palm, is taken in contact with the under-surface of the palm, parallel to the inner edge, from dips between bumps or points at the top edge of the palm to dips between qualifying points (if present) on the brow palm. If a bay is present, measure across the open bay if the proper line of measurement is parallel to the inner edge and follows this path. The line of measurement should begin and end at the midpoint of the palm edges, which gives credit for the desirable characteristic of palm thickness.F. Circumference of Beam at Smallest Place is taken as illustrate. Or go here for more detail: https://aws.boone-crockett.org/s3fs-public/atoms/files/sc_moose.pdf

04-Nov-20
Sorry for the long post, thought I had just copied the point description portion of B&C instructions. Also, Congrats on a great Shiras bull!!

04-Nov-20
it's your moose and you can call it how you want to. Nobody else has a dog in the fight.

• Sitka Gear