SaddleReaper 07-Nov-20
Scrappy 07-Nov-20
SIP 07-Nov-20
Recurvericky 07-Nov-20
greg simon 07-Nov-20
LBshooter 07-Nov-20
LBshooter 07-Nov-20
04-Nov-20
What is the next best decoy on the market besides a DSD? Possibly looking for one that can be used as either a buck or doe, but definitely a buck.

And does it really matter for whitetails if the decoy has the realism of a DSD?

04-Nov-20
I don't know what a DSD goes for, I'm sure they're good, as their turkey decoys are top notch. Realism can't hurt, but from my experience, any 3D decoy works pretty good.

I have the old Carry Lite, nothing special about it and have no issues at all pulling deer into it and keeping them there. The one at the link would be fine, pretty good special on it as well. Worth the 100 bucks and it looks way better than the old carry lites. If not, throw it in the yard around Xmas time.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/flambeau-masters-series-boss-buck-whitetail-deer-decoy-15fmbumstrsrsbssbhbg/15fmbumstrsrsbssbhbg?sku=11198938&camp=CSE:DSG_92700040964446932_pla_pla-507779438598&segment=&gclid=CjwKCAiAv4n9BRA9EiwA30WND_EFYgi4I7BeKfCeEUbnpsYex9ddU7pzp8d7gfp1kGOdxxBUVPY8jBoChcwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

04-Nov-20
Take a look at the Wind Drifter Decoy. Super light and moves with the slightest wind.

04-Nov-20
Thanks for the link to the decoy. I just bought one for my wife!!! (seriously, she loves using a decoy out on the field edge)

04-Nov-20

kluzakd's embedded Photo
kluzakd's embedded Photo
I really like my wind drifter decoy. I have my buck out tonight about 15 yards upwibd of me on the edge of a marshy area.

05-Nov-20
I used to hunt with Rupe when he lived near me. He would put out a doe decoy. I stopped at a butcher and got a doe tail. I skinned it out and we attached it to the doe decoy and sprayed it with Doe in Heat. One time we were hidden in some brush about 20 yards away. I was video taping. A really nice 10 point buck came all the way across a field to the doe. I had the video running and when the buck was perfectly broadside, at 20 yards, Rupe whispered, "Too small." Most people would have shot but Rupe was very particular. Then I taped a video of a buck scraping and Pat put it on the bowsite. We had bucks and does all around us that evening and I will never forget that day. We were wearing some scent lock outfits that Rupe had and we never got winded.

05-Nov-20
I just watched a vid on the wind drifter decoys. That thing would not work even in the slightest breeze. It would be doing a psychedelic acid trip dance out in the field.

05-Nov-20
The wind drifter comes with two wires. One for very little wind that is bent and one for wind that is straight.

05-Nov-20
I decoyed in a 160” ten point back in about 2006 with a glen del full rut target. Saw him 150 yards out. 1 grunt and he came running. He didn’t follow the script and I duffed the shot at 27 yards. Calling/decoying is 95% getting the right animal to hear/see your calls and 5% the call/decoy. A cooperative animal is key. I will say carrying a big deer target into your stand sucks. ;)

05-Nov-20
Where do you buy that wind drifter deke? I don't see it for sale on the website..... I see goose and turkey decoys, and the decoys that fit on your bow... not the one pictured above.

05-Nov-20
I've been wondering the same thing Milhouse.

07-Nov-20
Cazador- Thanks for the link, I ended up buying a boss buck that day! I wish it was scaled down by about 1/4...not sure why they made it so darn big. Seems to me it'd be the best decoy on the market next to a DSD if they sized it more logically. At any rate it seems to be pretty well designed with regard to the leg and head attachments etc., and realism is nicely executed.

I did silence it a bit with some hockey tape and adhesive backed foam tape, so the legs are quiet against the body. It should be silent carrying in and out now, unless I take it through the woods... yikes.

After researching decoys a bit more, it makes me want to design and manufacture my own... seems like the market has some opportunity/ room for improvement. There's not a perfect decoy out there which is all encompassing; packable/ easily portable, quiet, life-like, and priced moderately.

Doesn't look like windrifter makes that decoy anymore...?

07-Nov-20
SaddleReaper if you put a bunch of hockey tape and other material that will suck up odors you will have a hard time getting deer not to blow out as soon as they get down wind of it.

07-Nov-20
Deer dont run from smelly stuff scrappy. Just ask thornton

07-Nov-20
That stink about the wind drifter. I really like mine.

07-Nov-20
I use a carry lite decoy. It is noisy as hell. I just crash through the woods like I’m a logger and make all kinds of noise setting up then get quiet and hunt. I’ve had good luck doing this. I’ve seen deer come by 15 minutes after a neighbor finished with his chainsaw.

07-Nov-20
I'll use a Montana coy and only use one stake. At the back end I'll use corn stalk or sticks to the back end so it can only move so far with the wind.

07-Nov-20
I'll use a Montana coy and only use one stake. At the back end I'll use corn stalk or sticks to the back end so it can only move so far with the wind.

• Sitka Gear