Dale06 27-Nov-20
georgemcg 27-Nov-20
Waterfowler 29-Nov-20
Stick & String 30-Nov-20
welka 20-Feb-21
kota-man 20-Feb-21
caribou77 20-Feb-21
09-Nov-20
I’ve talked to two different Hunting Consultants over the past few years for a possible elk hunt. One was a well known company and the other from a smaller company. Both times I felt like I was wasting their time and they didn’t seem to enthusiastic in talking to me. Did I catch them on a bad day? is there a dollar amount involved to get them motivated?? Was it me??

I’m looking for an elk trip next fall.

Can anyone recommend a Hunting Consultant that will help an ‘average Joe’?

09-Nov-20

cnelk's Link
Give Jay a call - see link

09-Nov-20
Unfortunately, money talks. I’ve talked to quite a few, used more than one, and have very mixed results. I don’t have any specific advice, except be careful and don’t believe everything you are told.

09-Nov-20
I'll take ya elk hunting

09-Nov-20
You have an entire consultant team right here on bowsite. Ask for recommendations and then do the homework. Call , talk and get references and I would bet the outfitter would be enthusiastic to chat with you.

09-Nov-20

JL's Link
I get WTA's emails often. Don't know anything about them. They offer alot of cancellation and discounted hunts. Someone else may be familiar with them??

09-Nov-20
You have an entire consultant team right here on bowsite. Ask for recommendations and then do the homework. Call , talk and get references and I would bet the outfitter would be enthusiastic to chat with you.

09-Nov-20
What type of elk hunt are you looking for? Public or private? Archery or rifle? Lodge, wall tent or back pack? Do you have points in any states?

09-Nov-20
They probably get so much "fly by" traffic that they have to filter some out and for whatever reason you were labelled as not serious? It happens, especially at shows. I tried a little experiment once, wife and I were looking to book a mulie/pronghorn hunt, our goal was 1 full day as Harrisburg checking out outfitters, that night over dinner compare notes, do on line research and book on day 2.

Friend swears by a hunting consultant so we went by the booth. Got little "excitement" from them but they answered questions flashed some options etc. Nothing memerable to bring us back to them. Few hours later ran into friend he brought us back to the booth, totally different reaction from them and they didn't remember us.

You have to get their attention, something like "I want to book soon"

09-Nov-20
I don’t think you’d regret going with Forest. Top notch guy and business.

09-Nov-20
Forest would be a great choice is looking for guided or Joe(Mule Power) if DIY.

09-Nov-20
Forest would be a great option. It was for me.

09-Nov-20
Indian Summer who advertises on WapitiTalk.com offers solid information on self guided hunts. He offers advise on hunting guides too, but specializes in getting people off on the right foot for DIY hunts. From what I have observed his hunters have a significantly better than average success. If I wanted to hunt Montana or Wyoming without using a guide, I would start with him.

09-Nov-20
guess you guys helped Hunt 98 Since he has not been back

Some great advice on here

09-Nov-20
There used to be a couple guys that ran Bowhunting Safari Consultants. Not sure if they're still in business. I hunted with them back in 06'.

09-Nov-20
"You have an entire consultant team right here on bowsite. Ask for recommendations and then do the homework."

The 'free' information offered online can be overwhelming and contradictory. Not everyone has the time (or patience or skills) to sift through it all and make a solid choice. That's what consultants are _paid_ to do.

09-Nov-20
Thornton, the seem to still be in business -

http://bowhuntingsafari.com/

25-Nov-20
I have used WTA for years, they used to be part of Cabelas, and have been on several trips that they have recommended and all of them were outstanding. I also use their tags service.

25-Nov-20
I have used Bowhunting Safari Consultants twice. They were awesome on my Africa hunt but basically got "sold"on a crappy Alberta moose hunt.

26-Nov-20
BSC is excellent. No downside to the hunter what so ever. Free service and you can do additional due diligence if needed. Great group and model.

27-Nov-20
They are busy and cater towards repeat clients - cant blame them. Spend 75% of your budget on a LO tag.......................

27-Nov-20
BSC is excellent. No downside to the hunter what so ever. Free service and you can do additional due diligence if needed. Great group and model.

27-Nov-20
On BSC, have you used them? I have, on two AK hunts. Both hunts quite unsuccessful. Yes I know, it’s called “hunting.”

27-Nov-20
I have used BSC about 15 times and never had a bad trip,

29-Nov-20
I'll also recommend BSC , I've done quite a few hunts with them , including some high dollar and low end. Always clear and concise on information and expectations. My kill average is 95+% , including sheep and multiple goat hunts. I currently have 2 future hunts booked thru them .

30-Nov-20

Stick & String's Link
Stick & String Outfitters for the average Joe. Have some really discounted hunts.

20-Feb-21
Mule Power for sure. Also used to be a sponsor (Bow and Arrow Adventures?) run by Scott Alberta that did a lot of foot work to give direction on the best camps. Good luck.

20-Feb-21
I’ve used a few booking agents over the years. WTA has never steered me wrong. BSC has been pretty good but I did have one not so good experience with them. Hosted Hunts is good. My one experience with Scott Alberda was good.

I have had one experience that blows me away though. I called a specific nationally known agent to BOOK a Desert Sheep hunt. I told him up front I was ready and to book me. (He booked exclusively for an outfit I wanted to hunt with). Said he’d get back to me with options. Never got back to me. Called the outfit, explained my situation and booked direct. Now, a sale doesn’t get any better/easier than that, and the money doesn’t get any better than a Desert. I guess the guy didn’t need any more clients.

For the most part, I enjoy the process of booking on my own. For me it’s a fun part of the hunt.

20-Feb-21
I’m with Kota. I enjoy booking on my own and dealing directly. Not sure why you would go any other route unless it is required for a specific area. Or you’re loaded and just don’t care.

• Sitka Gear