Treeline 11-Nov-20
kscowboy 11-Nov-20
drycreek 11-Nov-20
lewis 11-Nov-20
Bowhunt3138 11-Nov-20
GF 11-Nov-20
Thornton 11-Nov-20
10-Nov-20
Had a really odd thing happen to my brother today. He had been seeing a really big 6x6 that he was guessing in the mid 170's. This morning I got a phone call from him. This is what he told me happened. He had taken his girlfriend along with him. They got set up in the dark and waited till light. Then they did a rattling/grunting sequence, call in 2 forkies. Moved down the river about 400yds and got set up to do another calling setup. (Here is where it gets scary/crazy) He did a rattling sequence. Then his girlfriend said that he stood up and said "I am going over there to take a nap". He took about 5 steps and passed out stone cold. She said he was out about 5 minutes. He was starting to come to and she could here something coming in the leaves. It was the 6x6. He managed to get crawled over to his bow (this is all according to his GF cause he doesn't remember anything at this point still) just as he got to it, she ranged it at 28yds when it stopped cause it seen him fumbling around with his bow. And then deer ran out of his life. He called me when got his senses back. He wanted me to know where he was at in case it happened again that way I would know where to come get him at. He seemed more worried about the deer getting away, I was worried about why in the heck he passed out for no apparent reason. He said he remembers starting to rattle the antlers and nothing after that till after the deer ran off.

10-Nov-20
Hypoglycemia?

10-Nov-20
How old is he? What's his height and weight? Does he smoke or have any medical conditions? Definitely worth a checkup with his doc.

11-Nov-20
Rattling and not waiting the appropriate time for a nap is definitely weird. If he’s a die hard hunter he should get checked. Find a doc that hunts that knows how crazy that is

11-Nov-20
Dehydration? Sure hope he's ok! It's only deer hunting - there are far more important things in life..

11-Nov-20
He needs to see a medical provider. As a PA, too many questions go through my mind and I would like to see him and his girlfriend as she witnessed this event. Could be serious, could be nothing to worry about. Best wishes. John

11-Nov-20
Hope your brother is OK.

11-Nov-20
He is 28yrs old, 5ft 7in and is 140lbs. He is/has been a diabetic since he was little. He doesn't have to take shots though. I asked him about his sugar. He didn't test it, he said he can tell when it starts to get out of whack by the way he feels and sees. I encouraged him to run to the doc to get checked out. He didn't act like he was going to, and he didn't. I talked to him later. He said he went home and took a nap cause he was tired. Woke up feeling fine. They went back out hunting yesterday evening.

11-Nov-20
Screw the deer health is first and foremost!

11-Nov-20
Extremely unusual to have diabetes at such a young age and not be on “shots”. Although we are seeing some teenagers with type two diabetes but they are generally morbidly obese which your brother obviously is not. What was his last HgbA1c? Does he see a doctor regularly for his diabetes?

11-Nov-20
KS Rancher, If he is diabetic since he is little and he is not taking shots then that is a major problem and he needs to get his diabetes under control. It seriously is a matter of life and death. I am not a Dr. but I know enough about diabetes to know this is important.

11-Nov-20
“ he said he can tell when it starts to get out of whack by the way he feels and sees.”

Except for the other day, when he clearly missed a few things.

I don’t know his details, but it sounds like he’s at risk of a life-threatening case of denial. And if he cares about that girl, he owes it to her to take care of himself and make sure that she knows what to do for him when something like that happens.

11-Nov-20
Agree with several statements above! He needs to get in to the doctor! Hell, drag him in yourself if you have to! He’s your brother and you want to make sure he is around for many seasons to come!

11-Nov-20
I have a friend who had Type 1 his entire life and didn't get diagnosed until he was hospitalized at age 26. He was in medical school when he got diagnosed. Until that point, he had no clue. We were at his brother's bachelor party in Vail when he was hospitalized and he didn't go because he had to work/study. We were glad he didn't, as we would have chalked it up to fatigue and a little altitude sickness and gone fishing/golfing and left him with a set of keys to meet-up with us later. Some of the guys with us were in medical school and would've completely overlooked diabetes. It's an odd disease with some people.

11-Nov-20
Just because he doesn’t take insulin, doesn’t mean he doesn’t need to. As for telling if his sugar is high or low, that’s true in a general way, but never precise. As a father of a 23 year old that was diagnosed at 5, a type 2 myself, and the owner of a diabetic Jack Russell Terrier, believe me when I say I know more about diabetes than I ever wanted to. My son had a couple really scary incidents as a young teenager because he chose to ignore what he should have been doing. After a couple of ambulance rides he started to view it as the deadly serious condition that it is. Your brother needs to take diabetes seriously if he doesn’t, he can at least scratch that off the list. As everyone else has said, he needs a thorough checkup, passing out is not normal and there could easily be a dangerous reason for it. Good luck !

11-Nov-20
Thank God he was hunting and not driving.A very good childhood friend of mine was setting at a stop sign with her little girl when a pickup driven by man who was blacked out from a diabetic reaction crashed straight into her vehicle.She was killed almost instantly but her daughter survived. The whole tragedy could have and should have been avoided.So just think what could have happened to your brother and girlfriend if he had been driving. I think about my friend to this day.Take care and stay safe.Lewis

11-Nov-20

11-Nov-20
“ Furthermore another event could be his last, no one wants that and no one he is with should be subject to witness. I’d ride his ass to see his doc stat.”

Well put. Nothing worse thsn somebody you love acting like nobody loves them.

11-Nov-20
It could literally be a dozen different things but is most likely related to his diabetes. If he came to ER, the first thing we'd check is a sugar.

• Sitka Gear