jkirkus 02-Dec-20
LUNG$HOT 03-Dec-20
76aggie 04-Dec-20
Jims 04-Dec-20
Cheesehead Mike 04-Dec-20
elkster 08-Dec-20
Lost Arra 08-Dec-20
12-Nov-20
I’ve had my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for about 9 years. I like them although they took awhile to break in and get used to. You stand high off the ground with them. I like the solid shank for support.

After reading so much positive feedback on Lowa and Crispis I’m thinking about giving one a try.

Which one, which model, and why?

12-Nov-20
I have Crispi uninsulated have forgotten which model but they are butter!

12-Nov-20
Not on your list...but I recently bought a pair of Hanwag trapper tops to replace my extremes. I'm just getting them broken in, but so far I'm really liking them, they fit my heal area a little better than the extremes.

12-Nov-20
Fit before brand. Try both, listen to your feet.

12-Nov-20
I agree with listening to your feet! In CO this year, my old boots have out. Went to a store in Steamboat and bought Crispi’s. Don’t remember the model. Brand new, no break in; they were awesome! They were about $360, I insulated and performed great.

With the snow, my son & I would up sleeping in the truck cab 2 nights. The boots were so comfy, I didn’t take them off for a 2 day period!

>>>>————>

12-Nov-20
I bought a pair of crispi guides uninsulated for this fall. Tough, rugged and comfortable. You stand tall in these boots.

12-Nov-20
My feet prefer Lowa over crispi

12-Nov-20
I have never tried Crispi, but my feet love Lowa Renegade boots. They feel good out of the box.

12-Nov-20
Kowa Tibet Hi will be close to the feel of what you’ve had. I like mine.

Crispi I have three pairs of and they are great too. Mine are all more warm weather, less rigorous terrain, style.

I go to Lowa Tibet Hi for the rougher stuff.

12-Nov-20
I purchased a pair of Lowa Tibets a while ago and my feet never took to these particular boots. I tried different inserts and still my feet would cramp in them after about mile 4. I tried to make them work, because I hate the thought of spending that much money on something and you cannot return them. I purchased a pair of Kenetrek Mtn. Extremes NI and like them a lot. I can walk with out any discomfort. I'm not saying the Lowa Tibets are a bad boot, they just did not work for me. If you're getting 9 years out of your boot, that's a pretty good return. If something works … stay with it.

12-Nov-20
What’s the difference between the Tibet and the Renegade? I definitely want insulated. 800 grams.

12-Nov-20

JMG's Link
Honestly, I don't know. Check out Lowa's website, maybe you can determine. I actually have the Lowa - Tibet GTX.

12-Nov-20
I have wore Lowa boots for years. I wear the Rangers everyday for work or play. I even have a pair I keep in the closet for dress shoes. I love the Renegades for stalking critters. They are like wearing a pair of tennis shoes & require zero break in period. If you have weak ankles or in rough country packing meat they are not the best. I really like the Tibets for steep rocky country or carrying a heavy pack. As I get older I seem to wear them more often. Tibets require a break in period but seem to be my go to boot most of the time these days. Great boot. Open country mule deer,early season blacktails & hunting pronghorn I wear the Renegades. Light & extremely quiet. None of my Lowa boots are insulated.

12-Nov-20
Tibet’s don’t come insulated. I think the insulated Tibet style of Lowa is called Bighorn.

Renegades are not for rough country.

12-Nov-20
Renegades are very lightweight and light duty. Tibet's are heavy duty backpacking boots. Camino's are in between. I have all three and the Camino's are my favorite. I bought a pair of Crispi Colorado's this year and wore them a lot in Colorado but I prefer the Lowa Camino's.

I also have Hanwag Alaska's which are very similar to the Lowa Tibet and I prefer the Hanwags.

12-Nov-20
They are strictly for elk hunting. Any boot that’s going to last in rough country will require a break in period. Tibets don’t offer insulation? I didn’t know that. I was leaning toward them too. Insulation is a must for me.

12-Nov-20
Lowa Tibet GTX

12-Nov-20
I bought the Crispi Wyoming (uninsulated) earlier this year on the advice of my oldest son who guides professionally. I loved them during elk season.

12-Nov-20
How do you not put the Han Wag Alaskan on your list?

12-Nov-20
Smurph..... Just not familiar with it. That’s why I’m waiting for your review!

12-Nov-20
Sorry, I sounded a bit rough there. I have Crispis and Han Wag both. I like the heel fit on the Han Wag better. Also Han Wag feels a little more cushioned. My Crispis have more toe room so would recommend the Alaskan wide ( I didn't get the wide). I like and wear both, all leather, full rand. I do prefer the Han Wag though. I think both are Italian if it matters. Tim

12-Nov-20
Well my last name is Ferraro so.....

Do they have steel or composite shanks?

12-Nov-20
Tibet’s don’t come insulated. I think the insulated Tibet style of Lowa is called Bighorn.

Renegades are not for rough country.

12-Nov-20
Lowa Tibet GTX are the best elk boots I’ve ever had. I have a pair of Renegades and wouldn’t wear them in the steep, rocky, mountains around here. I don’t know about insulated boots, it doesn’t get cold enough here in southern NM to worry about them.

12-Nov-20
Lowa Tibet gtx here too.. absolutely love these boots

12-Nov-20
Too many leaking crispi stories for me to look at them. My hanwag Alaska are the only boot I’ve had in the last cpl decades that hasn’t leaked. Could be the boot or the grangers, I don’t know but I really like the boot.

12-Nov-20

Hackbow's Link
Mule Power, I remember during my search I had read a review of Crispi boots that solidified my choice after my son's recommendation. It took me a little bit to find it, but I've linked it here. At the end of the review the gentleman gives his impression of other brands he's tried. This might be worth a look to you.

12-Nov-20
As I stated previously, I prefer the Hanwag Alaskans (wide) over the Lowa Tibet's but they're not insulated.

12-Nov-20
Two years ago I bought the Crispi Guide GTX insulated. These are definitely the most comfortable boots these sixty seven year old feet have ever worn. I much prefer a full leather boot and it seems the Italians still know how to make them.

12-Nov-20
Another vote for the Crispi Guide GTX’s. But, like several have posted above. One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

12-Nov-20
yep gave the crispi's away after a month of sore feet .

14-Nov-20
I have Crispi's.....nice boots. I want Hoffman's...............

14-Nov-20
I was in the same position you were in this year. I had a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes that were 8-years old and had countless miles on them. I loved the boot but they are heavy. I picked up a pair of Crispi Thor GTX's on Camofire this spring and started breaking them in during turkey season. The right boot for some reason ended up being a heel biter and I chalked it up to not being broken in. I hiked 3-5 days a week with a weighted pack for most of the summer thinking I could get the heel bite to go away. Well two weeks before I left for my annual elk hunt they still weren't any better so I ordered another pair of Mountain Extremes without time to break them in. To make a long story short I ended up hunting 14-days in the Crispi's but had to tape up my right foot like my football playing days. Eventually the heel bite went away and the Crispi's became manageable. We ended up shooting 3-bulls in a 2-hour period and spent 24 hours straight packing elk for a total of 20-miles. The Crispi's held up, but I will say they aren't the boot the Kennetrek are, but nor should they be. To me they are in a different class of boot. The weight savings is nice, but the tread isn't very aggressive compared to the Kenne's. I would say they were serviceable, but next year the Kenne's will be back on my feet in the mountains.

14-Nov-20
For what its worth, I have a pair of Crispi Thor, the way the bottom of the boot meets the sole I found really uncomfortable and unstable. The boots seem comfortable until you start hiking. Hard to explain but the feeling is like tying a set of rolling pins length wise under your feet and then walking on them. The sole is narrower than the boot.

I think my next pair is the Lowa Camino GTX

14-Nov-20

14-Nov-20
RTJ1980 that’s exactly where I’m at. My Kenes are still going strong... very strong actually even after 9 years. But the rubber that comes up over the leather is starting to peel off. I’m going to try to reglue it with Freesole but I figure it’s never too soon to start breaking in a new pair of boots. The Mountain Extremes took a long time to break in! BUT.... that’s because they are TOUGH! So tough that I’m wondering if any other brand can compare. BUT... they are heavy. So I’m thinking that I might sacrifice a few years of life to have a lighter boot. A boot that sits lower sounds nice too.

It’s a tough decision. Through Guidefitter Crispi gives a 40% discount. So $281 and shipping for the Wild Rock Plus. Hanwag looks to be comparable for $370. They don’t say mush about the insulation in them though. Hmmm.

I wish Mountain Extremes came in 600-800 grams instead of jumping from 400 to 1000.

17-Nov-20
Lowa tibet gtx !

18-Nov-20
I personally utilize Lowa. I hike more than 1500 miles a season and my Lowas last normally 2 seasons.

18-Nov-20
Lowa , for sure i gave my crispi away. the crispi needs a $50.00 replacement insole to even come close.

19-Nov-20
Joe- The HW Alaskans are not insulated...even though they feel like they are...

I bought a pair of Crispi Colorados this year. Hiked in them all summer and wore them on my Colorado elk hunt. Liked them a lot. But I like my Han Wags better. The Crispis are certainly lighter than the HW, but not near as industrial strength. I’ve never had a pair of boots last 3 years, never mind 9. If I did, I would do backwards math from the age I’m sure I’ll be dead, subtract my current age, divide by 9 and buy that many pairs of that boot.

19-Nov-20
Casper, totally agree. To make my Crispi Thor's work I had to add a Lathrop insole. Then they worked very well until I pretty much walked the soles right off them in the past 8 months. The search will continue next summer.

I liked my Lowa Renegades but after a year or so they developed a bite in the heel of one boot so they got fired as well. The only boot I have really liked was a Scarpa but it leaks so bad I might as well have crocs on.

19-Nov-20
FYI....Hanwag Alaska GTX are on sale at Backcountry.com for $286.82 shipped.

I just ordered a pair.

19-Nov-20
Joe- The HW Alaskans are not insulated...even though they feel like they are...

I bought a pair of Crispi Colorados this year. Hiked in them all summer and wore them on my Colorado elk hunt. Liked them a lot. But I like my Han Wags better. The Crispis are certainly lighter than the HW, but not near as industrial strength. I’ve never had a pair of boots last 3 years, never mind 9. If I did, I would do backwards math from the age I’m sure I’ll be dead, subtract my current age, divide by 9 and buy that many pairs of that boot.

19-Nov-20
My Lowa boots were great! I purchase a new Crispi this year. I love my Crispi! They are very comfortable.

19-Nov-20
I retired my 12 year old Lowa Tibet’s, which I loved, and went with Crispi Colorado’s for a sheep hunt this year. I’m very happy with the Crispi boots. I will continue using Lowa Renegades for light duty.

19-Nov-20

23-Nov-20
Both well made. Fit before brand. I have bought two Crispi models and one Lowa ( camino ) Crispi does not fit my foot. They seem like they will last longer than any other but don't fit me. Lowa fits me and has lasted long enough.

24-Nov-20

Hackbow's Link
For those interested in Crispi, Black Ovis is having a decent sale right now.

30-Nov-20
Mule Power did you get your new boots?

30-Nov-20
Mid, I think you'll like those Alaskas. I love mine. I've been bike hunting for the last cpl years so they don't see much action but that stiff sole really is nice on rough broken up terrain like antelope country.

01-Dec-20
For elk I’ve been wearing the same pair of Lowa Renegades now for 4/5 years. These things were great out of the box. 2 years ago I did put in aftermarket insoles which was a definite upgrade. They are getting fairly worn out now so looking at Crispi just for something different but may try the Lowa Tibet GTX after reading reviews.

01-Dec-20
LUNG$HOT, I have Lowa Renegades too, but they're too lightweight and don't have enough support for me for elk hunting. I also have Lowa Tibet's. If you like the Renegades I'm thinking the Tibet's will be stiffer and heavier than you like. You might want to look at some Camino's. I have a pair and they're about halfway between the Renegades and Tibet's for stiffness and support.

01-Dec-20
Thanks Mike. Good advice. I’ll have to look into that. I must say as I get older I like a little bit more support.

02-Dec-20
I had some Lowa Gtx I wore in AFG and IRQ for multiple trips. I think I went through 2-3 pair in six years. Like wearing tennis shoes when I was carrying 30-40 lbs or less. With a heavy load they weren’t enough.

03-Dec-20
Thanks Mike. Good advice. I’ll have to look into that. I must say as I get older I like a little bit more support.

04-Dec-20
I was in this same situation not knowing which boot to buy. After a lot of research, which included pros and cons of a lot of different boots, I decided to go with the Crispi Guide GTX. I went with the regular width and think it is a tiny bit tight but more wear should loosen them up somewhat. Even with them being a little tight, they are still some of the most comfortable boots I have ever worn right out of the box. I would never hunt with a boot which has not been broken in but these required minimal break in time. The Crispi's are exceptionally well made in my opinion. The quality level really impressed me. Honestly, I have not had them exposed to any degree of moisture as of yet so I can't honestly comment on the integrity of the degree of water proofing these will afford.

04-Dec-20
I have a large selection of Crispi and Lowa boots. I use and abuse my boots at work year-round so need boots that last. I tend to favor all leather vs synthetics. Leather is a little heavier but takes a pounding much better. The fewer seams on boots the better. In snow and water boots with seams tend to loose their stitching. This obviously doesn't happen with all leather. Unfortunately all leather tends to be a bit heavier in weight than synthetics.

It's great to have a fairly large selection of boots. My go to boot for snow is Lowa Tibets. I've never had wet feet in mine. They are stiffer and a chunk heavier than other boots. When antelope hunting early in August/Sept I'll likely grab a super light breathable boot. When sheep/goat hunting I'll grab a pair with stiffer soles. If still hunting muleys I may want a lighter pair of boots with super quiet soles.

Everyone's feet are different. It's nice that both Lowa and Crispi offer different width boots. What works for 1 guy may not work for the next! With all that said, I've had really good results the past few years with Crispi's and tend to be buying more Crispis. They are super pricey so I usually wait for sales.

04-Dec-20
I have a pretty good selection of boots too; Lowa Tibet's, Renegade's and Camino's, Hanwag Alaska's, Crispi Colorado's, Meindl Perfect Hunter, Irish Setter Timberline, Danner Pronghorn 400G and Danner Pronghorn non insulated.

My go to backpacking boots are the Hanwag Alaska's and my go to hunting/hiking boots are the Lowa Camino's. The Crispi Colorado's are a quality boot but they just don't fit my foot like the Lowa Camino's.

The Meindl's are 200G and they're a tall boot, I really like them when there's snow or i want a little insulation. They're probably the most comfortable boot I own.

08-Dec-20
..."my go to hunting/hiking boots are the Lowa Camino's. The Crispi Colorado's are a quality boot but they just don't fit my foot like the Lowa Camino's." This has been my experience exactly.

I wanted the Crispi to work because of how well made they are, but the fit isn't there.

08-Dec-20
When I read about guys taking off their boots to stalk an animal I always assume they are wearing Tibets. The Tibet is perfect for rough country and heavy packs but it's not much for sneaking.

• Sitka Gear