stringgunner 12-Nov-20
ki-ke 13-Nov-20
jstephens61 13-Nov-20
longspeak74 13-Nov-20
Kurt 13-Nov-20
Ageman 13-Nov-20
Outdoordan 13-Nov-20
12-Nov-20
After 20 years shooting Mathews, I just sold my VXR. After 2 months of playing with it, many trips to the pro shop, multiple arrow set ups and such, I could not get that bow to shoot. First Mathews I’ve had where I couldn’t wait to get rid of it. Really wish I could find a Halon 32 again. Wink in case anyone has one.

I’m in the hunt for a new bow, and really looking at the prime. Their new ones come out in two weeks and aside from new axel to axel lengths and an update on the grip they are very similar to the black series.

Curious for those of you who shoot the prime black series what think of them? Pitfalls? Tunability? Other thoughts?

Bowtechs adjustable cams for tuning intrigue me as well. But other than that, bowtech has not been on the radar, maybe it should be as well.

I like bows in the 32-35 axel to axel range. And shoot a 27.5 draw length.

12-Nov-20
My wife and I both shoot the Prime BLACK ONE. They're hands down their best effort to date. Our Blacks have put the Prime ION (mine) and Centergy Air (hers) into " back up " status.

Smooth draw cycle, draw lengths are adjustable without a bow press and free of hand shock when the arrow is launched.

Had mine set up, tuned and ready to go within an hour. Had Millie's bow set up in a bit less time because I didn't need the tutorial on adjusting draw length.

Hope this helps.

12-Nov-20
Indeed helpful. Thank you

12-Nov-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Here’s a black 3 and 1. I sold the 1.
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Here’s a black 3 and 1. I sold the 1.
Love mine. Do a search and you’ll see some posts about it. I have a black 3 and it’s so smooth and easy to pull. Holds rock steady, is quiet as can be, and shoots like a dream. I’m a huge fan!

12-Nov-20
Shooting a prime logic 84# and far more comfortable draw than my 73# elite e35 thats really saying something.

12-Nov-20
Fubar, the guy at the pro shop was shocked when he put my 84lb black on the draw board. He thought they were 70lb limbs maxed out.

12-Nov-20
Pigdoc- I see many Halons but not any Halon 32’s on eBay? What am I missing?

12-Nov-20
I didn’t know a Halon was a Prime ;)

12-Nov-20
Spike- it’s clearly not. Looking to buy a new bow and looking at the Primes specifically. Though I am looking to purchase a halon 32 aswell as a back up bow. I had one and now wished I would have never sold it for the VXR.

12-Nov-20
Love my prime!

12-Nov-20
Having 7 strings kinda freaks me out but I've heard they're a great shooting bow.

What kind of problems were you having with the VXR?

12-Nov-20
Midwest- could not get it to shoot through paper, nor walk back tune. No matter what we tried with shims, switching cams, switching limbs, different arrow weights, changing out the grip for after market. No two people or three could get it to shoot consistently. I really liked all the other reasons people love the bow, but this one we could never get to tune despite other shooters or everything we tried. It may have been a dud. And I got it new, opened the box on the spot direct from Mathews at the pro shop.

12-Nov-20
And yes the 7 strings is different and dual cams is interesting.

13-Nov-20
Any Prime shooters have issues with the 3 set screws on the mods coming loose? I just helped a buddy fix his. One glaring issue to me is that one of the screws is directly behind one of the 7 strings that curls around the axle slot, making in inaccessible unless you have a press. Not a great condition to have if you dont have immediate access to a press....like if you're in the mountains..

13-Nov-20
Not much of a limb on Prime bow or most of the new bows for that matter. Got to be putting a lot of stress on those limbs to get the power.

13-Nov-20
Shoot a 65lb Centergy and love it. Holds like a dream.

13-Nov-20
65# Rivals are deadly.

13-Nov-20
Have a couple of Prime Rizes, easy to tune usually with just a couple of arrows you will have them shooting bullet holes thru paper. As far as loose screws, drop of blue thread lock fixes any issues. Don't sweat the extra strings, you get free strings for life anyway, good luck

13-Nov-20
CT9 with fingers!

• Sitka Gear