jordanathome 25-Nov-20
Buffalo1 27-Nov-20
14-Nov-20

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
original color pattern faded to too light and did not match forest background
original color pattern faded to too light and did not match forest background
followed directions on bottle. If they fade again over time, I will just re dye them.
followed directions on bottle. If they fade again over time, I will just re dye them.
Dye for synthetic fabric, less than $5. Better than spending $220 on a new pair.
Dye for synthetic fabric, less than $5. Better than spending $220 on a new pair.
NO the pants did not "die" but I did dye the pants green because over the years of wearing and washing the light pattern became much to light in color and reflected the day light too much. So instead of purchasing a new darker pattern and spending another $220 buck on a new pair, I just tried dying them in a Rit dye. I do believe they turned out ok and just the darker color I was hoping for.

14-Nov-20
I've done quite a bit of dyeing to get camo to match where I'm hunting. Just be aware that some of the dye might bleed the first time you wash them, so be sure you don't have your tighty-whiteys in there with them!

14-Nov-20
All Sitka all the time

14-Nov-20
Nice work. When I was about 18, we were headed up pronghorn hunting and my BDU pants were shot beyond wearing. Having zero money, a pair of tan dress pants I rarely needed and a couple colors of Rit in the cupboard, I did a tie dye. Lasted a couple years and went well with my old white sneakers I spray painted green. :^)

14-Nov-20
Looks good, Paul!

14-Nov-20
such a cheapo paul.... just buy another... :)

14-Nov-20
Hmmm... haven’t noticed my Kuiu stuff fading like that. Probably close to the same vintage! Have had to sew up a number of holes but the colors have held!

Maybe try some Kuiu pants, Paul! They have a good sale going now!

14-Nov-20
Looks Good. I bought some expedition weight base layers from cabelas before the buyout became official. They were deer brown.

14-Nov-20
What we see and what the elk see are two different spectrums. Lighter the better. Most camo is WAY to dark.

14-Nov-20
Thomas, I under stand that but some/most synthetic material camo patterns, seem to reflect light too much and as unnatural, vs a cotton or wool material that absorbs light and does not shine. This material was much too shiny especially under low light. I only have the pants but use more "natural" material for the uppers as shown in the first picture above. Paul

14-Nov-20
Ah...good point. Tough to let go of sentimental hunting “anything”

15-Nov-20
Hell, if I had matching tops, hoody, rain coat, like the pants and then added, matching hat, gloves, face mask, I might be accused of shopping and just walking out of LL Bean or some other big box store. Can there be anything worse for a bow hunter's image? :)

15-Nov-20
90 percent of the stuff i see out there is Kuiu...

15-Nov-20
What the hell are we coming to? I thought it was de rigueur to ditch those designer camos after a couple seasons....and especially if they began to look worn and authentic. Dyeing them just looks so desperate and cheap, even if it’s exactly what I’d do too. But then, I wear my rubber boots until they crack open and leak water. Well done!

15-Nov-20

15-Nov-20
Paul, So now you are as pretty as a peacock,eh? ;-)

15-Nov-20
Paul....you should have just left them “as is”. As deadly as you are, those critters need every advantage they can get!

15-Nov-20
Kevin, duct tape will get you another season on those boots! Heard it from a friend.

15-Nov-20
Paul whatever works keep on keeping on thanks for sharing I just filed it away Lewis

15-Nov-20
Just out of curiosity Paul is the 2nd picture the finished product? Did you just dye the knees? Or the whole pants? Is there an after picture?

15-Nov-20
You gotta love well-used and broken-in hunting clothes. They fit nicer and have that ‘ready to go’ feeling. I remember using a black marker to reinforce the dark lines on my Trebark camo back in....uh....hmm....well....1983 I think it was.

15-Nov-20

after pic after I dyed the total pants. the green dye made the pattern darker (the objective) and eliminated the shine ( the objective). totally fine with the the outcome.
after pic after I dyed the total pants. the green dye made the pattern darker (the objective) and eliminated the shine ( the objective). totally fine with the the outcome.
Kevin, 1988, Treebark ruled. Yep, black marker was standard equipment then.
Kevin, 1988, Treebark ruled. Yep, black marker was standard equipment then.

20-Nov-20
Thanks Paul, I've got several sets of good camo that have faded over the years, I'll give it a try!!!

20-Nov-20
Paul-Thanks for submitting your experience. I have a body suit (Homemade) that is Predator Fall Gray (Synthetic material). It is not faded, but it is almost vivid. I seem to get picked off far more often than I did with my old cotton Fall Gray Pred. I went through the dying process. I hope it has muted the whites enough to minimize the amount of times I get picked off (Visually).

20-Nov-20

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Looks great Paul! I've used dyes on several items.... an old trick from my, um, younger days.... is Tie Dye camo on solid colors. Most of the hats I like (OR makes some good ones) are a solid tan or khaki and a green or brown Tie Dye job (I use zip ties these days) comes out good. Hat's getting a bit old and faded now but still functional.

Are your legs tinted green yet? =D

25-Nov-20
I bet if you sent them back to Sitka they would replace with a new pair. They did this for me with a 6 year old set of raingear, both the jacket and the pants. Over $400 new and got the brand new updated version at ZERO cost. Great company.

27-Nov-20
Great work there Paul. You may be on to opening a reconditioning company in the off season to pick up some extra change !!

• Sitka Gear