Medicinemann 20-Nov-20
Rupe 24-Nov-20
Shuteye 24-Nov-20
DMTJAGER 24-Nov-20
Rupe 24-Nov-20
Drahthaar 24-Nov-20
Treeline 01-Dec-20
14-Nov-20
I know the topic of decoying comes up now and again on here, and so I thought I'd share my story from a couple nights ago, the night of the 12th.

This comes about as I've been hunting a certain buck for 5 years now. A gooder. I seen him twice last year, and once this year in 5 years. He's not a mega-giant but I have been super-infatuated with him. To the point of being problematic. Well, this year I didn't even start hunting whitetails until October because of my elk Manitoba elk tag. I managed to see the buck once in mid October, but he was a little far at last light and I elected not to #sendit. This buck lives in a ginormous tract of woods which makes him difficult to pin down.

14-Nov-20
Fast forward to mid November, and action on my cameras has dried up as I am sure every mature buck is locked down with does. I actually had a serious desire to rifle hunt for whatever reason, so I took off to a different area of the province with a friend and rifle hunted for 2 days. I passed a 7-10 bucks in the 100-130 category, and one morning saw a group of deer on private property 150 yards away. The glassing there were some does, and wowza, a real nice buck. 150"ish. moving over to the last deer of the group my jaw drops as he easily dwarfs the 150. I like to think I can field judge decently until about 160" to within a few inches, and then after that I just call them "really big." This one was "really big." Anywho, he was on private and I was unable to gain permission, and I didn't shoot anything on the trip.

So along comes the 12th of November, and I'm not really "feeling" any of my usual spots, but in the back of my mind I have one spot that I have yet to hunt. It hasn't been hunted in years, but doesn't have much bush on it. An 80 acre piece with 10 acres of bush. The rest is a hay field. It is neighbouring a piece I hunted for years until the landowners let every Tom, Dick and Harry on and the quality dropped off. I figured what the heck I'll give it a go.

Knowing that mature deer often do what I would consider "weird" behaviour, I made a plan accordingly. I've seen a few big mature deer cruise across the centre of fields here. I think it's weird because it puts them right out in the open, but I guess in an archery-only area (aside from the heavy poaching pressure) that behaviour would keep them relatively safe. The behaviour is also limited to those magic rut days.

14-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo

14-Nov-20
I decide to hang my saddle in the windrow on the North side of the piece. I have permission to hunt both 80 acre pieces. The one to the north of the X, and the one to the south, as well as 2 20 acre pieces to the East. From limited scouting there is limited bedding on this piece (labelled with "B") and the deer from that area work there way north and feed just to the south of the windrow.

Temps tonight were -10 and dropping with a stiff 30km WNW wind. With that in mind I placed my decoy off a little to my west, quartering towards me as usual. All I had to do was wait.

Let me tell you, it was cold. Very cold. I was very happy to have used hot hands insoles in my boots, and hot hands in my wool flip mitts, and even turned on the new heated vest. (which was a total life saver).

At about 4pm I notice a doe and fawn feeding out from the south. A little while later they run away from a tractor driving down the N/S road. About 15 min later, I notice a herd of does and fawns coming from the south, working their way west, then north into the field towards me. They're about 450 yards away. A short moment later I notice a doe feeding in a field 1/4 mile to the north of me (across the gravel road) and a buck works out to nose her. I grab my horns and give him a good rattle session. I am unsure if he heard anything. Oh well, he was a ways away. In the meantime, these does are working their way closer to my location, which can't hurt.

14-Nov-20

14-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo

14-Nov-20
When I finish my rattle session, I look back with my binos and notice both deer are now gone. As I keep my eyes peeled for more movement, a short while later I suddenly notice a big blocky body working its way south in the hay field to the north of me. The deer is working North to South towards the area where the does are feeding. I quickly grab the binos and the second he comes into view in my glasses I decide I'm gonna try and kill him, so I quickly put the glasses on the limb they are hanging and reach for my antlers.

This buck is a couple hundred yards WNW from me, ie directly upwind. Couldn't be better. I can shoot to the north and south side of the shelterbelt, and he can't wind me until he gets east of me. I rattle, he stops. In my saddle I am able to stay on the opposite side of the oak and keep rattling without him seeing me. He simply watches, and then when I finish continues on his path undeterred. It's like he knows exactly where the does are. For the image above, the X is were I saw a buck. and the dots are his path to the area where does are feeding.

I put the horns away, and grab the binos as he hits the shelterbelt where I can no longer see him. A few moments later I see a doe running as he is obviously pushing does around. I catch another glimpse of him, and he seems to have singled a doe out, and she is working East towards me. They're roughly 120 yards out. I give him a big nasty grunt as he looks my way.

That gets him walking as he marches behind this doe. Everything goes away as I grab the RF to double-check a few marks in the field. At about this time the doe is closing as she gets to 50...40 I range her line in case he follows it exactly. I do believe she was in heat and wanted to check all available suitors to see who is best and that is why she came my way.

Anyways, she circles around downwind of the decoy. Not this again. The buck locks up 65 yards away and through brush. I've seen this movie before. 150 yards to the East of me, 6 years ago I had a doe and buck working my way along the exact same shelterbelt as the doe winded me and took a 170 buck with her. One of the biggest deer I've ever seen alive. I don't like the way that movie ended. She starts giving the decoy the head bob, and silently I'm cursing.

Slowly she keeps walking apparently unbothered. The buck takes a few steps and I draw. He keeps walking and now instantly bristles up and starts that stiff legged angular strut-walk towards the boss buck decoy. You've all seen what this looks like and it's a whitetail hunters dream. He is 100% focused on the decoy.

He works his way circling towards the decoy and stops at 25 yards, 5 yards from the deke, and perfectly downwind of it. Now, I did have the decoy "airing out" outside since Halloween, but I know I touched it while setting up, and I know I am about to watch him turn inside out and get outta there. He is 100% frontal, with his head slightly lowered to crush the deke, and fully covering the front of his chest with his skull.

What can a guy do? Is this how it unfolds and all comes crashing down? All I can do is hold my draw. I have since swung around the side of the oak in my saddle and have the pins buried waiting for him to open up. After what seems like an eternity he takes 2 more steps towards the decoy opening up a quartering to shot. At this point he is mere feet from the decoy and I know in an instant he could crush it.

I let fly.

The arrow hits behind the shoulder and he takes off.

14-Nov-20

14-Nov-20
As you can see in the video, the buck is standing in the middle of the field. He's hurt and I could see something hanging out of his side. I wait another 15 minutes until dark and he doesn't move. Obviously not a 10 ring. No vitals hit I assume. After dark, I notice he walks a few yards, then runs about 40 and then locks it up and stands there. With the snow cover and good optics I can see well past dark, shapes anyway. I watch as he continues to stand there. I slowly exit the tree leaving everything but my bow as is, and sneak out of there. I exit back to my truck to the West using the opposite side of the windrow. When I reach the truck I look, and see it looks like he is still there. Maybe bedded? Not sure.

I stop quickly at the landowners house, friends of mine to let them know what happened, and that I plan on coming back later tonight, so if they see lights in the field not to be worried.

I talk to my brother and a couple buddies about it, and continue with the plan to come back 4 hours later at about 9pm. I don't want to lose him to coyotes which have been very prevalent this year. Talking to my brother he throws caution about going too early, but I feel he's hit hard seeing as he hasn't moved.

I pick up my brother and we continue to the field. My hopes is the truck lights will illuminate a body in the field. As we arrive, I realize that is not to be the case. We get out of the truck, and try to find where he started walking. It takes a bit but we find the spot. We follow a combination of tracks and blood as the buck seems vey confused not really going in any direction, but going a general SE towards the 10 acres of timber.We find a bloody bed, a few chunks of stuff along the way, and another 2 beds in fairly short succession. looking good. 3 beds in the last 80 yards or so as we get close to the bush. Just then my brother Matt whispers "I see eyes!" Sure enough. There he is, head up. Crap!!! I have no knife on me, nothing. As we deliberate for a minute the buck jumps off headed toward the NE into the field he came out of. We run to the field to shine it to see how he looks running. I have a very bright flashlight and he isn't in the field. Good sign. We get the heck outta there.

Nothing to do but wait until morning. My brother is hunting the morning, so I come back with another friend who is out of work with nothing better to do lol. I feel confident he is toast by now. Temps overnight of -16, but sleep wasn't much to come by. Talking to buddies they ask: "What was he?" I remember bladed brow tines, and I thought I remembered good G4's but playing it back in my mind I am unsure. I never really looked at him, other than the first second when I instantly decided I was shooting. After that, "shoot mode" took over. Although it may sound like I am score focused I really am not, it's just the only universal system to talk about size of a deer. "I dunno could be 120, could be 140?" I tell them as I don't want to overhype him and I'm really not totally sure what I shot.

14-Nov-20
Well we come back in the morning and continue on the blood. He exits the bush my brother and I seen him in, and I figure he'll be down in the willows 80 yards away. Nope, he just walks past the willows and angles off to the NE walking in now a straight line across the field. As confident as I am he will die, the straight line begins to worry me. This wasn't the bed every 20 yards confused walk I saw last night. This was a straight line walk that went for 200 yards.

We slowly pick our way across the hay field and he gets to the bush on the north side. It's thin but certainly he died in here. No dice. He continues through and into the neighbouring field. The grass gets high and I nearly step on him.

Instant relief. I notice his jaw moving as he still breathes, but is unable to move his head, body or anything else. I quickly dispatch the buck once again shocked at the toughness of these creatures.

14-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
My good friend starts to take pictures as I am in a little bit of shock admiring this beautiful whitetail. I'm not going to lie. He was a little bigger than I had begun to believe. At night in the flashlight, I has seen his G3, G4, and G5 thinking it was his 2,3, and 4. I had figured "OK, I guess I got a little excited in the moment and he's a decent buck."

And I was totally OK with that. It was such an exciting situation with the decoy etc. I was good. Never in my life had I had this kind of time to hunt November, nor will I likely due to my job change, and so I had set lofty goals. But over the course of time I started to relax and focus on having fun. This situation had been all that, and I was happy to enjoy it, but now the buck reminded me why I had just instantly gone into "shoot mode." He was a real beauty. My friend is thankfully as anal as I am about photos and we took our time taking some nice pictures.

14-Nov-20
Cool story and very nice buck! Congrats

14-Nov-20
Great, now we will be looking forward to a photo... Details on the hit once you find out... Congratulations.

14-Nov-20
You guys up there are tough, I remember growing up in temps like that and remember exactly what those chills represent!

Great hunt, and totally agree, of all the animals I’ve hunted, nothing is even close to the punishment a big buck can take.

Well done.

14-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
We drag him out to the edge of the windrow for some more pictures. Had to take a pic with the boss buck that led to his demise.

14-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
The pipe cleaner on my quiver makes a loop to easily hang my quiver onto any limb in case you’re wondering what it is doing there. Raided my daughters craft materials for a quick and easy solution. Meant to upgrade it but it works so dang good.
APauls's embedded Photo
The pipe cleaner on my quiver makes a loop to easily hang my quiver onto any limb in case you’re wondering what it is doing there. Raided my daughters craft materials for a quick and easy solution. Meant to upgrade it but it works so dang good.

14-Nov-20
Thanks guys. I don't need to tell you guys about the extra excitement involved with calling and decoying. Not every area is conducive to decoying as they aren't open enough. Sometimes I get too lazy or even just plain forget about decoying for a while, but the fact of the matter is it can work amazingly well. Especially in this time when bucks are cruising simply looking for animals. It is my belief that this buck is the same from across the road that I saw earlier and either the rattling or knowledge of does in the area is what brought him across. I do think even if he had knowledge of the does, that the rattling may have sped up his eagerness to get there.

So there you have it. If you've got a decoy, or simply need some encouragement to use it - this was for you ;)

Hope you all have a tremendous rest of the season.

14-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo

14-Nov-20
Congratulations!!! Awesome deer and thanks for the great story!!!

14-Nov-20
buck decoys rule! at least some of the time, like this time. Fun stuff and nicely done. my best, Paul

14-Nov-20
Congrats! I've shot many deer that weren't as big as I wanted... but was a great hunt that was fun. Never fail to remember those hunts when I see those antlers. That is what it's all about!

14-Nov-20
Thanks for taking us along, congrats on a beautiful buck. Using a decoy is very addicting.

14-Nov-20
What a great deer and story. Congrats.

14-Nov-20
Beautiful buck Adam, Congrats. Looks like a twin to one my nephew got last Sunday morning.

Kurt

14-Nov-20
A real hunt, love it, and congrats he is a "gooder"!

14-Nov-20
Excellent recap, buddy! I could tell from your texts, you were pretty stoked! Congrats again, Adam!

I ain’t buyin that line about the reason the doe in heat was headed your way, though! ;-)

14-Nov-20
That was a great recapture. I felt like I was there. Congratulations. It's always a more memorable hunt, when you trick them. Of course hunting from a treestand alone is trickery, but adding calling, rattling, decoying, etc., seems to enrich the hunt. Cool!

14-Nov-20
Adam, as good as it is to see them go down within sight, following a blood trail, finding bed down spots, and then the next day trailing the buck hundreds of yards and then finding him, surely adds to the excitement of the hunt. Thankfully you found him before the coyotes. my best, Paul

14-Nov-20
Good buck, congrats to you !

14-Nov-20
Congrats! Great recap, thanks for sharing Adam!

14-Nov-20
Congratulations

14-Nov-20
Not sure what I like more, the story or the photos. Both are awesome. Congrats!

14-Nov-20
Congratulations on a great buck and outstanding story. Just brought out my decoy last week for the first time in about 10 years. Haven’t had any bucks of your caliber come by yet, but have had a spike and some does come to it.

15-Nov-20
Great buck and congrats! Those who put in the work reap the rewards.

15-Nov-20
Really cool story! Beautiful deer!

15-Nov-20
Congrats on a great buck! And thank you for an awesome recap and super photos!!

15-Nov-20
Congrats!!!

15-Nov-20
Congrats bro! What a stud of a whitetail! It was fun to come along for part of the ride :)

15-Nov-20
Good story, the aerial pics were a bonus. Congrats on a great buck.

15-Nov-20
Thanks all for the kind words about the hunt. It was really special and I got very lucky.

Paul, you’re right. Although we always want to hear that crash after about a 5 Mississippi in an odd way it did add excitement to the whole hunt. Sleep was restless, but I got a lot more time out of the hunt. And to find him in the end with no damage of any kind, meat or otherwise was really nice. Even the tenderloins were clean and didn’t look like any gut juices had been up against them. He grossed 158 0/8” for interests sake.

I had pictures in a different spot of a very similar 6x6. My brother had pics of it last year and we could accurately say it is 4.5 years old. With the younger look on this buck and the similarity to that other buck I would guess that it too was 4.5 years old. Amazing how every now and then a buck can come along and hit nearly 160” at 4.5 years old meanwhile there are many bucks I know to be in the 6-10 year age class that are basic 4x4’s or 5’s that can be confused with an average 2.5 year old. Genetics are an interesting thing.

I got very blessed to take a great buck. I firmly believe it’s all about having fun. I know it’s blasphemy for this site but I would have been super tickled to take a nice buck rifle hunting the week prior. Sometimes we put so much pressure on ourselves for a certain deer or whatever, and I came to really be able to take it in this year and enjoy myself and ironically got gifted a couple awesome animals. Good luck to everyone!

15-Nov-20
Congrats on a great buck and even better hunt!

15-Nov-20
Great story, awesome photos, and a gorgeous buck! Congrats!

15-Nov-20
Congrats on a nice buck and thanks for posting.

15-Nov-20
This is excellent Well done

15-Nov-20
Awesome buck Adam!

16-Nov-20
Awesome!

16-Nov-20
Congrats on a dandy and thanks for a great story. It is all about having fun, but I would guess during the day in that cold there were moments you thought about sitting by a warm fireplace! There have been bitter cold windy days where I'd think why am I doing this!

16-Nov-20
Congrats great buck and thanks for sharing Lewis

16-Nov-20
Yes Whocares - I was extremely thankful for the invention of artificial heat sources. "HotHands" Insoles in the boots, Hot hands in the flip mitts and a heated vest along with wind proof garments makes it surprisingly bearable. I even turned the vest up to medium which was super awesome. Been watching heated clothing tech for years and finally took the plunge this fall and I swear it made killing this deer possible. I know tech doesn't kill animals, but comfort does! And tech creates comfort lol.

16-Nov-20
Great story and pictures. Congrats, thanks for sharing.

16-Nov-20
Congrats! Great buck! Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt, even the parts that were less than ideal. That’s a part of the game we play.

16-Nov-20
Wow great story and buck congrats APauls.

16-Nov-20
To all you who are using buck decoys and enjoying success, what do you think causes your decoy and set up to FAIL not successd but FAIL to bring in that big buck into bow range? By that I mean when hunting in private ground when do you NOT use a decoy as you suspect it will scare off a 3 year old or older mature shooter buck? Been seriously considering using a buck decoy but had terrible luck in the past using doe decoys and have been hesitant to try a buck decoy ever since.

17-Nov-20
Well....I'm really late to find and read this adventure. Great dedication Adam. Ultra nice buck (!!) and quality pictures to document the day. I imagine you're still feeling the afterglow from that one. Way to DO it.

17-Nov-20
DMT - my trial and error has led me to only using a decoy in areas where they can see it from a long ways off. You want them to commit before they are close. A buck being surprised by a decoy has never ended well. For stationary decoys, stick to 3D. Deer almost always circle. Tried a 2D early in the game and watched a 160 come unglued as he circled and the decoy disappeared. Even as a newB should have seen that coming. 95% of the time they circle downwind and approach from the head. So position accordingly. I like to quarter the buck to me. So he isn't looking directly at me, but when the buck circles on the downwind side to approach I should have a broadside or quartering away shot. Have it as scent free as possible. I use my decoy as a buck from September through to about the 20th of Nov. Only late Nov would I use it as a doe. Does seem to hate doe decoys and ruin the gig. Decoyed many good bucks in September. Bucks are very patterned at that time and wonder who a new guy is as they are used to all their buddies.

It's super fun, but it also doesn't work every time. That's my tips from my trial and error learning. Thanks men for all the kind words.

18-Nov-20
Congrats on the awesome buck and cool story

18-Nov-20
What type of heated vest are you using?

18-Nov-20
Congrats on the great deer and thanks for taking us along on the story.

18-Nov-20
Awesome work Adam! Congratulations on a great buck and a great story! Thanks for sharing ! Where did your arrow enter/exit?

18-Nov-20
Congratulations for a well deserved great buck. You are one tough dude up there in that kind of cold with a load of dedication and a great story teller to boot. Thanks for sharing....Badbull

18-Nov-20
Awesome work Adam! Congratulations on a great buck and a great story! Thanks for sharing ! Where did your arrow enter/exit?

19-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
JB - using an Orroro heated vest, and very happy with it so far.

Dean I’ll post some pics as some interesting things happened as I’ll explain. Attached here is the entry just to the left of the E

19-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I’ll add the grisly photo. Somehow someway I believe what happened was my shot went in at the entry (obviously) and exited at the circled mark labelled “1st Exit?” Then the arrow pulled back inside and somehow pushed out the bottom. The buck had a clear exit hole where it was labelled 1st exit, but the arrow clearly ended up where it ended up.

Also, whatever happened to make the two holes happened fast, as by the time the deer ran 200 yards I could see the guts falling out the bottom as I said in the video I could see something hanging out. Very strange. Either way I’m happy as more holes is better, but very strange.

19-Nov-20

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I am unable to rotate the 3rd picture as it simply rotates the 1st picture every time I do that. So sorry, this pic is upside down but you get the point
APauls's embedded Photo
I am unable to rotate the 3rd picture as it simply rotates the 1st picture every time I do that. So sorry, this pic is upside down but you get the point
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Oh, and at the shot I could see a solid foot or so of arrow sticking out on the fletch side. Smashed ribs going in with a Rage Trypan.

On another crazy note - check out this shoulder blade. It was on his near side (the side I was shooting.) SO GLAD I didn’t hit it because it’s like an inch thick two-tier shoulder blade. Other side was normal.

19-Nov-20
Amazing that he went that far. Tough critters.

19-Nov-20

20-Nov-20
Cool story.

You may have just answered an old - like 30 years ago old - head scratcher.

My cousin and I were hunting when he hit a deer dead center in the shoulder blade - shooting 70 + pounds with a 3 blade Muzzy. The arrow sounded like it hit a cement block and literally bounced off. He just shook his head and couldn't believe it. Could this have been the reason???? Don't know, possibly!

20-Nov-20
Great story!!

24-Nov-20
I love using decoys and have had a lot of success. The only downside is toting the around

24-Nov-20
Rupe is right. I am sure he remembers the time I skinned out a doe tail to hang on his decoy. I was running a video and had a real nice buck at 20 yards. Rupe said "Too small." it was a really nice buck that most hunters would have shot.

24-Nov-20
Thanks a great deal on sharing your decoying experience Apauls. Will give it a try if I can luck into the right farm.

24-Nov-20
I miss hunting with you Lex. Good times!!!

24-Nov-20
Awesome all the way around. Forrest

01-Dec-20
Congratulations Adam! One hell of a good buck and even better story!

Loved the video! Could tell it was cold. Been there.

Excellent recap about the follow up. Animals can be amazingly tough and go a very long way. You stuck to it and were rewarded!

Love it!

Congratulations Man! Well done!

• Sitka Gear