Steve Leffler 16-Nov-20
Thornton 16-Nov-20
Bowfinatic 16-Nov-20
leo17 16-Nov-20
Rickm 16-Nov-20
ahawkeye 17-Nov-20
15-Nov-20
Unlucky:

I'm not feeling real wordy, so this won't be a novella. I have always said that anytime I have a close encounter with a game animal one of us will end up unlucky. Because I hunt with a longbow and can't kill anything (except Dixie cups) past 25 yards, I'm almost always unlucky when some gorgeous antlered thing saunters into my life. It's normal and I'm so used to it that it doesn't bother me. I don't waste time bemoaning the 160 which trotted by at 30 yards and ignored my grunt call. Who cares if a jumbo doe catches me turning my head at 80 yards...right? If I beat myself up over lost opportunities I'd be nothing but bruises until after Thanksgiving.

But anyway....occasionally I win one. It's nice when the longbow thumps and meat or taxidermy follows. I can't complain. I've probably been luckier than I realize. After all...and in defiance of all the laws of luck...I shot the two biggest whitetails of my life on Friday the 13th. That was back in another decade, and I've never written the story. Maybe I'll do it someday, but not this day.

Here it is 2020 and NOTHING is normal in my life. I can't even get in a vehicle without my wife hosing me with hand sanitizer. I can't trust the news anymore about anything. I don't have an orifice someone in the medical field isn't wanting to swab, probe, scope or eyeball. But at least I can still hunt....here on our farm....without worrying about the world's issues. And I've been hunting. Popped a nice unlucky mama doe back in October and made venison. Hallelujah. Age being the advantage it is, I've stayed away from my best rut stands....saving them for Halloween and beyond.

So here I am on the 12th of November and this 160ish 10 point gallops past my stand chasing a doe. Rats...no shot. And he didn't come back. And you know how it goes with really big bucks. You're fortunate if you get one really good opportunity per season. But no disappointment in my mind. It's a good day just to see one of those ghosts. I'm excited and it's gonna be a great evening. And so it was....even if luck had little to say.

15-Nov-20
Good attitude Kevin! I emailed a deer on Friday with my truck. I might only get to hunt the last 3 days of the season if I'm lucky...keep at it, I'm sure you'll get lucky, maybe :)

15-Nov-20
Speaking of "unlucky". After Trump lost the election, the Colorado wolf reintroduction passed, and I did not kill a mature buck in Nebraska, I told Tricia that I was going to be a mean son of a bitch, when I got home. Yep, unlucky---all three issues that are dear to my heart and all had a good change to turn in our favor but the final count did not revel that.

It was a five hour return drive back to Colorado and home and during that drive time, I listened to a few books on tape and did some Transcendental meditation. All was good by the time I got home and so far I am at peace with myself. I turned the unlucky issues into "better luck next time" issues.

I am sure you will also have better luck next time if you take a deep breath, exhale slowly, and of course listen to your wife as she has your best interests in mind and that is a lucky thing. Peace of mind is important.

my best, Paul

15-Nov-20
You experienced it you were very lucky

15-Nov-20

15-Nov-20
The Evening...

I'd seen 5 bucks that morning and the chase was ON. Bucks oinking and does running helter skelter trying to elude them. I couldn't wait for evening. The leaves had dried and if there had been a deer within a hundred yards of me I could've heard them walking. And of course I left the woods wearing a white stripe. Skunked. On an evening you'd bet money the deer would climb the tree just to sit with you. But dinner was good and I had zero complaints. There was tomorrow and with all the action I'd seen today I figured it might be a good morning.

When I woke up it was 34 degrees and foggy. Everything was dripping....not what I wanted for conditions.

15-Nov-20
The action started as soon as it was light enough to shoot. Same deal as the day before, minus a certain 160-class 10 point. But it was fun...heck yeah...and I didn't want to leave the woods. At 10:00 am a little wiener buck went through. I was restless. 10:10 and there's noise...chasing...to the west. Wind from the southwest. 'Oink'.....a doe bounds into view and stops...looking back to the west. 'Oink'....and here comes a 110-ish 8 point trying to run her down. Gone...over the hill and into a huge thicket. Good riddance. 'Uurrrp'....

Another buck was to the west but not in view. I stayed quiet and he came walking. My first reaction was 'no-brainer'....then...'mass'...'beams'...'great points'. Coming dead-on and the longbow was wanting to flex. At 20 yards he cleared the limbs and I was tracking him for the shot. Suddenly he veered outward and absolutely looked to be headed away. I knuckled down and started the draw....then something told me 'no'...'don't'. Several more steps and unaccountably he turned left and it was then that I began chilling down for the impending shot. He would walk broadside in the open at 8-9 yards and I had this.

Almost straight in front of me and perfectly broadside, I came to a smooth full draw. I was just about to hit solid anchor when luck decided to get involved. The buck did a sort of funny sidestep and left turn...slightly toward me. My thinking brain began to say 'stop the shot' but my anchor was tight and my fingers relaxed before any conscious thought could stop them. I probably moved the bow in that last instant, correcting for the deer's track. The arrow flew clean and crunched into the buck's back, getting some penetration from the heavy head. He went straight down to the leaves and didn't move. I knew enough to not trust the hit I'd just made, and so I delivered a coup de grace from the stand. It was over.

15-Nov-20
Beautiful buck, congrats to you!

15-Nov-20
No point wasting words on the feelings after success. You guys all get it. In fact as I like to say, “Get it all over you” because it doesn't happen often enough and doesn't last long enough. This was one to enjoy.

Later that day my wife was congratulating me and suddenly said something I'd completely ignored....

“Friday the 13th is just your lucky day!”

And you know...I'm not arguing with her on that. I'll take it.

15-Nov-20
Nice buck and good story.

15-Nov-20
KEVIN!! What did you kill! Thatv deer is an anomaly!! I'm smacking the unlucky out of you all the way from NJ! Huge congrats my friend!! Very happy for you.

15-Nov-20
Dang! Great story.

15-Nov-20
For not feeling “wordy” that was pretty awesome! That is a great buck!!!! Congrats, and thanks for sharing!!!!!

15-Nov-20
So cool. Great deer.

15-Nov-20
Awesome buck and such a great hunt. Thanks for taking us along.

15-Nov-20
Lol Steve.....yes, that buck is an anomaly in many, many ways if you follow. Thanks buddy.

Appreciate the comments. Just wanted to toss a little entertainment in here. I mean .... it’s always funny when I manage to shoot something nice!

15-Nov-20
That is an awesome buck! Congrats

15-Nov-20
Beautiful buck and nice story telling. Congrats.

15-Nov-20
Wow, what a great buck! Congratulations on your “unlucky” hunt. Pass some of that on to me......of all the animals I hunt, whitetails seem to have become my nemesis lately. In fact, my new handle should be Black Cloud.

15-Nov-20
Great buck! Thanks for posting!

15-Nov-20
Always a pleasure when Kevin posts a story. And this didnt disappoint!

15-Nov-20
Kevin- I've come back to your bucks picture 20 times. I was thinking that, with his tips almost touching, on anything larger than a 2" sapling, he would need to turn his head 90 degrees to the tree to work it over. Then I noticed that it appears the beading in the top 2/3 of his brows looks pointy sharp, so maybe he DID only rub trees that fit between the tips! Built in tree caliper. Just my dopey observation and musing after looking closely at an amazing whitetail...

15-Nov-20
Thanks for sharing! Congrats

15-Nov-20
That’s a pretty buck Kevin. Lucky indeed ! All of us who hunt are.......

15-Nov-20
Good on ya!

15-Nov-20
Heck of a story, congrats!

15-Nov-20
Great story and very cool looking buck!

15-Nov-20
Hell ya, way to grind it out! It's so easy to feel sorry for our so called 'failures'!

ElkNut

15-Nov-20
Congrats on the beautiful deer. Thanks for telling the story. Well done!

15-Nov-20
Great buck and congratulations! That’s a cool rack, I’ve never seen thirds curl in like that.

15-Nov-20
Congratulations on a fine buck.

Your tales of the hunt's are top notch !

15-Nov-20
A buckeye buck with a stick. Nothing wrong with that. un--- Lucky you! my best, Paul

15-Nov-20
Super cool buck and great story. Your comment about not happening often or lasting enough resonates. Well done - congrats.

16-Nov-20
Cool looking buck Kevin, CONGRATS!

16-Nov-20
Nice buck great story. Nothing like taking a buck on home ground...

16-Nov-20
Thanks sincerely for the kind words. I was just hoping I wouldn't get pasted for being an Eeore....lol.

My reality isn't that I feel unlucky (as a hunter) at all. Rather, it's just that I recognize that luck...if it even exists...tends to be fickle and in favor of those great animals we pursue. Being that I'm a 'really close or go home' longbow guy, I'm used to coming up short the majority of times. When it does work out for me, I can't help but feel lucky. I sure as hell can't blame it on talent!

Steve...great observation. This dude had plenty of bark shreds and grit in his beads and all through the forehead hair. He'd been rubbing aggressively. Like you, I figure he was a sideways rub-er. Those beam tips don't leave a lot of space.

Plenty of good guys here who hunt their guts out, and know what it's like to win big. I hope you all find luck and success again....soon. Until then....see you in the woods.

16-Nov-20
That is the definition of high and tight, cool buck. Nice story, pretty much sums up why I hunt with a stickbow. Thanks and congrats.

16-Nov-20
you write well, should write a book, or at least a short story. fun to read you posts

16-Nov-20
Congratulations Kevin. Beautiful pics and a great story.

16-Nov-20
Congratulations on a really cool looking buck!

16-Nov-20
Awesome, Kevin! Great story, great buck! Congratulations!

16-Nov-20
As a measurer for Ohio Buckeye Big Buck I would say he should go in the low 150"s. If not he will just miss 150. davep

16-Nov-20
MMMMM yummy!!!! Have to love that height and mass working it's way to 8 yards. That's what dreams are made of. Congrats Kevin!!! Loved the foreshadowing in the initial posts I could hardly wait to read ahead knowing we had a Friday the 13th this year.

16-Nov-20
Congratulations... he's a beauty.

16-Nov-20
Fantastic... He's one of those bucks with a dream rack; heavy, big, long beams, nearly touching, just an awesome deer, Kevin! Congrats man.

16-Nov-20
Kevin, as a fellow trad guy I can certainly feel your pain. As I stated in the meatpole thread...So many times you just have one of those days, but then every so often you have one of THOSE days. I would say you just had one of THOSE days.

16-Nov-20
Great buck! Thanks for sharing the story.

16-Nov-20
Appreciate you guys.

16-Nov-20
The mass on that guy is great... I love big typical 8s.. Congrats Kevin...

16-Nov-20
Congrats Kevin. Thanks for taking us along.

16-Nov-20
Same boat man. Talk about stress. I work ER and I'm back after a 2 week hunting vacation. I'll take packing an elk out in a snowstorm any day over the crap I'm dealing with now at work. I go to my farm and drink beer in my deer stand now with not a care in the world and watch the deer materialize from the standing corn.

16-Nov-20
Great write up and what a cool rack! Congrats on a beauty!

16-Nov-20
Great deer. Congratulations

16-Nov-20
Kevin,

Congrats on a beautiful buck. Things are interesting these days but life is good.. enjoy it.

Rick.

17-Nov-20
Wow i didn't realize how big he really was until the pictue of him in the bucket! Congratulations!

• Sitka Gear