midwest 22-Nov-20
Chief 419 24-Nov-20
Rut Nut 24-Nov-20
16-Nov-20

KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
KHNC's embedded Photo
Results were pretty nasty on this doe! She got way to curious so I shot her at 27 yards. She took off , made a circle and died within 10yds of the shot. Im still a Ramcat shooter for the most part tho.

16-Nov-20
They cut giant holes. The slap cut entrance holes are the biggest Ive ever seen. The collars are crappy though and if you walk around much through grass and such theyll pop open. Seems if you cut a good fart the collar will pop.

16-Nov-20
I use a rubber band , for braces, to put around the blades to hold them in place in addition. Still reserve these for does.

16-Nov-20
I am a big fan of the trypan

I can't say i walk a ton of brush but have had no collar issues and have great success on a dozen deer with them

16-Nov-20
I have had 2 Trypans where the collars open too easily. All of the others have been great. I actually preferred the collars over heads that use dental bands.

16-Nov-20
Have any of you used the no collar design? I'm liking the looks of the no collar 1.75 inch +P head for whities.

16-Nov-20
KY, I killed a buck just under 180# a couple weeks ago using the NC extremes - so not the +p... It did cut a big hole, got lodged in off side shoulder knuckle and one blade broke clean off. The lungs, on autopsy, showed that the blades were open all the way through the deer, so the blade broke in the shoulder.

The NC seems to work, but it does feel like it takes a little more force vs the collars to open. I kinda like the old version better I think.

16-Nov-20
Love the Trypans and Hypos

16-Nov-20
I'm hoping that add the no collar to the trypans next year.

16-Nov-20
Love those Trypans but wish the ferrule and tip were made of stainless and weighed 125 or 150 grains.

16-Nov-20
I put a thin piece of duct tape on one side of the blade to keep them closed, not all the way around, just enough to keep it closed should the collar fail. I’ve shot a bull elk, a large bodied WT, and a doe with the Hypo, all 3 in the basket and all expired within 80 yards max. The WT Buck looked like a spicket was opened up there was so much blood

16-Nov-20
Take a look at the SEVR mechanical heads, Rusty and Randy Ulmer are behind these and those guys are fanatics ! Been using them and they are amazing . Very tough mechanical head.

16-Nov-20
The Sevrs rattle in my quiver. I went back with my Rage 1.5

17-Nov-20
I'd shot 3 deer, killed 3 deer with them

and I hate mechanicals BUT ... these are good. one tip bent a little, one blade bent on another but they were hitting bone and I'd expect to see something like that on most heads

no failures

17-Nov-20
I've been using Trypans for a couple years now- and I am impressed. Bought a pack of the No Collars this year and can;t wait to use them.

17-Nov-20
I've used the Sevr 1.5 this year. Seems to be a tough mechanical, and I was happy with penetration, but have not been impressed with blood trails even with good hits.

17-Nov-20
Rage Trypan just flat works.......collars work fine, blades deploy fine, they cut big holes and penetrate well, blood trails that you can follow at a walking pace if you need to track at all. Most of the deer I've shot with them tend to fall down in site.

17-Nov-20
Have a couple buddies with very poor success using sevr. Also some of the shows that put out broadheads tests i know sevr didn't perform great. I have no experience with them just what I heard.

18-Nov-20
"There is the Ram Cat, and then there is everything else I guess...."

Yep, typically if its a big body whitetail or bigger, im sticking a Ramcat in it. Since I had the option on this doe, i tried the trypan. I think it requires a ribcage hit to get a pass thru. I was close on this doe to hitting a bone, fortunately I didnt hit it. Perfect shot very close to a disaster shot. lol

18-Nov-20

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Ky Eyebow. I shot my buck this year with a sevr titanium 1.5. I watched him fall after 90 yards so I guess it did the trick. There was snow on the ground and with only one hole there was not a single drop of blood. This was my first experience with mechanicals and I wasn’t impressed. 27 yards, shot from the ground. I’ll add that the broadhead seams new still. I have 3 others so by the time I use them up I guess I should know what I think of them.

18-Nov-20
There's a large thread on archery talk western forum regarding the trypan and real world experiences.

18-Nov-20
Which model of ramcat are you guys using?

18-Nov-20
Link, i wouldnt necessarily lump that experience in as “mechanical”. Even with one hole, blood on the ground hasnt been an issue with the two types ive used for many years.

18-Nov-20
Dandy buck, LINK!

18-Nov-20
Thanks Midwest. SIP I wasn’t necessarily saying it was a mechanical problem. I can say however with my slick tricks I would have had a pass through and more blood. I chose the 1.5” hoping for two holes. I guess if I’m not going to get 2 holes I just as well go with a bigger cut. It wasn’t a problem as I watched him fall. However I like to see blood pumping out even with an arrow plugging the hole like my daughter experienced with a slick trick at 38# this year. I’m still going to experiment with mechanicals for the next few years and see if I can find something I like.

18-Nov-20
Gorgeous buck LINK. I went back to a compound part way through the season and have shot a few animals with the Trypans. The results have been devastating, and not for me. I’ve steered away from Rage because honestly the heavy marketing 10-15 years ago turned me off, but you can’t argue with the results.

19-Nov-20
"Which model of ramcat are you guys using?"

I still use the Ramcat original 100's . I have resisted buying any from the new ownership. Once I use what i have, i wont have a choice i guess.

19-Nov-20
Killed my last two bull elk with Trypans....absolutely devastating!

19-Nov-20
I shoot the 150 grain crossbow Trypans and have watched every animal I have shot fall over.. the crossbow collar is lot stiff and love it compared to the regular collar.. trypans a great head and won’t switch

20-Nov-20
Hondolane, Is the 150 crossbow ferrule the same diameter as the regular Trypan?

20-Nov-20

M.Pauls's embedded Photo
M.Pauls's embedded Photo
I’m shooting a 430grn arrow at 280fps with the Trypan. Broadside ribcage hits can expect an exit, otherwise entry holes only seem to be the norm. Here’s another ‘entry only’ bloodtrail from last night

21-Nov-20

Bowfreak's embedded Photo
Bowfreak's embedded Photo
I was already a believer but this sealed the deal for me. Sorry.....whenever I get a chance to post this I will. :)

21-Nov-20
I switched to The Veteran broadheads this year. I tried the Rage last year but one popped open while nocked as i waswalking thru the woods and it kinda worried me. Ive had good success with the 100gr Veterans this year with a 100 grain insert.

21-Nov-20
M.Pauls, lets see what's at the end of that blood trail. It shouldn't be far.

21-Nov-20
Don't blame you, Mark!

21-Nov-20
I will say that I was always leery of Rage--despite never losing a deer I hit. 100% between the ears I think--but most things in life are.

I had the chance to try the Trypans this fall and after holding them and shooting a bunch of pumpkins I was feeling very optimistic about their durability and performance as I was in search of a new head (Rocket Steelheads are no more).

In saying that-- a recent blood trail I followed was gruesome and unbelievable. I have no loyalties to companies or products but I can't find anything I don't like about the Trypan at this point.

Still in disbelief at the sign I saw yesterday. Was crazy. I had it narrowed down to the Trypan and another well respected mechanical. Trypans will be on my arrow until they prove me wrong after my testing and what I saw yesterday.

21-Nov-20
Yep love the Trypan!

22-Nov-20
Eyad....post up some bloodtrail pics if you have them. Curious to see the carnage.

22-Nov-20
Is it materially different than the hypodermic

22-Nov-20

Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Hawkeye's embedded Photo
Grant: as far as the material goes I don't know the specific differences but to me they feel night and day different in my hand much tougher with the Trypan which is what caught my attention as I used to shoot the hypodermic and moved away from them because of durability issues.

I don't have very many pictures of the forest floor but the thing that really caught my attention was I could follow the trail from saplings......:0

What's even more interesting is that I only had one entry hole as my arrow hit the off shoulder and it was a large whitetail.

No broadhead is foolproof and pilot error is always #1 IMO. But so far have been impressed.

22-Nov-20
Differences between the Hypo and the Trypan:

Trypan has Titanium ferrule. Hypo is Stainless.

Trypan uses an improved shock collar over original Hypo. However, the Hypo NC is available.

Trypan has a more swept back blade angle than the Hypo.

22-Nov-20
Trypan is also bigger in size compared to hypo. Hypo is smaller but same cut

22-Nov-20
Blades are also a little thicker on the Trypans.

24-Nov-20
Bowfreak,

Thanks for the clarifications between the two. I shoot the hypodermics now, but will give the Trypans a try.

24-Nov-20
Ditto on the thicker blades and better ferule. I shot the original Rage heads for years and was satisfied, but the Trypan is a definite improvement!

I picked up the new Hypodermic NC(no collar) to try out, since I liked the idea of no collar, but I noticed that the ferule doesn;t look as "beefy" as the Trypan. Not sure I like that...............................might end up sticking with the Trypan with collars.

• Sitka Gear