Meat Grinder 22-Nov-20
IdyllwildArcher 22-Nov-20
t-roy 22-Nov-20
19-Nov-20

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
Homemade O3 closet
Homemade O3 closet
I never used that ozonics stuff and always felt that hanging an 03 unit in a tree was silly. I still do.

However, the concept of purification of hunting clothes seems plausible to me. So I built my own closet using an 03 generator for under $100.

Here’s my question and it’s particularly about hunting from a blind: lots of guys run these things inside of blinds. I think the concept is sound. But there’s warning labels everywhere about these generators and every one recommends leaving the room, opening windows, etc when running these units. So how come guys use these things in blinds? Seems risky to me.

Interested to hear your thoughts?

19-Nov-20
You open 2 windows and treat the air going out.You do'nt breath it in.

19-Nov-20
Curt Wells gave a pretty good explanation of it's use, from a tree or inside a blind, on Bowhunters TV show. Basically, it should always be on the downwind side of the hunter. Obviously, used in an enclosed blind, at least 2 windows should be open for cross ventilation and the device should be pointing out the window where the air is exiting.

He said, if you can smell the ozone, you're on the wrong side of it.

I've never used one, but his words make good sense to me.

19-Nov-20
What q d m said. If you smell it, you’re using it wrong. Used correctly it works MOSTLY. Hogs, deer, and coyotes have proved it to me.

19-Nov-20
Having 2 window open in a blind is how you get busted in a blind.

19-Nov-20
Pat can you give some more details on your "closet". I'm in the middle of transferring my hunting gear to a new storage spot and I think I will build in for there and for the cabin.

19-Nov-20

Closet
Closet
Joel, purchased both on Amazon. Works great. The O3 generator is apparently the same unit that is branded by a hunting company for 4x the price.

19-Nov-20
I use Zero Trace, Pure Ion in the tree and have a scent crusher Ozonics bag for my clothes. Pure Ion supposedly poses no harm. Don’t know if it works but I’m addicted to the smell:)

19-Nov-20
O3 is toxic and bad for your lungs. I don't understand why people would intentionally sit next to a toxic pollution generator hunt after hunt and expose themselves repeatedly. But then again, it blows me away that people smoke cigarettes daily.

19-Nov-20
Question for you guys - I used ozonics this year in ohio for the first time and feel as though it did work to some degree - I also was thinking about getting the bag for the clothes However a friend mentioned that the ozonics will eat the elastic and ruin your gear with continued use. Does anyone have any input on that?

19-Nov-20
I've heard the same. Basically, it'll oxidize anything that can be oxidized. Which is almost everything.

19-Nov-20

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I’m in the process of turning a closet into an ozone “smoker”. Bought the ozone generator off Amazon last year, for around $60. Gonna line the closet with cedar, put a few shelves in, and a couple of hanger rods. Thinking of putting a timer on the outlet to turn on for 15 minutes or so, first thing in the morning while I’m in the shower. They should be pretty well de-stinkified by the time I’m ready to head out in the morning.

19-Nov-20
Lucky draw, I put one in a plastic tote with my clothes and after just 1 season the suspenders on my fanatic bibs are junk.

19-Nov-20
Sean, interesting. And good info. I heard that you have to really cook the clothing constantly for it to be broken down, but your post proves otherwise.

19-Nov-20
I have no interest in using one for hunting purposes but I have rented one when refurbishing an old Land Cruiser that had been used by the mice for few years outside. After seeing what it can do to polymers I learned you have to be careful.

20-Nov-20
I think you did fine Pat I believe what you are doing has its place...and you don't have to wash your clothes as often. I did notice you are sitting right next to a floor vent though!

20-Nov-20
I've had the same concerns about damaging elastic in the clothes, rubber boots, etc.

20-Nov-20
The major issue is the amount of Ozone produced. I have a commercial unit I use to treat my clothes and it does a wonderful job. I would never use it in a blind cross ventilation or not. It produces 100s of times what an Ozonics unit produces and will treat an 800-1000 sq ft area. I believe in an enclosed or ventilated blind the Ozonics will and do work, out in the breeze, unless the unit is a foot from the hunter directly above them it will work but its effect will be limited. By the way I have had my unit for 10 years and have had to rteplace the mica plates twice in that time. Best thing in the world to reduce washing hunting clothes on a couple week trip.! Shawn

20-Nov-20
What ground hunter above said.....

20-Nov-20
If you use it with your Pnuma heated vest the warranty is voided.Pat that is the same generator that I have been using for a couple of years. I have it running in an wooden gun case with my clothes hung inside.It seems to work well and I’m not sure about the elastic yet I have seen some issues but.it could be from normal wear.Good luck Lewis

20-Nov-20
It'll break-down all of your clothing. The elastic is just the first to go. It's a super-rapid decomposer. It not only decomposes your scent, but everything else it touches as well.

20-Nov-20
It does break down elastic but I try and protect that by cover waist bands and anything rubber or rubber coated. Again the amount produced is the key, most of the units such as the one Pat is using and the Ozonics units do not produce a high concentration of Ozone so less likely to damage things. Check out Air Zone Ozone products. Shawn

20-Nov-20
Ok, I gotta ask: Why do you have to deodorize your house?

21-Nov-20
so this is like DEET...............it serves a purpose, but can hurt you and stuff it comes in contact with. No thanks.

21-Nov-20
Ike, I have two teenage boys. Throw in a trip to the Mexican restaurant, I might need to look into an ozone generator!!!

22-Nov-20
I have an example to share, but first, a little history. Please bear with me for a moment...

In the summer of 2019, I was looking into buying an ozone tote or duffel bag. When I saw that the price of a plastic tote with an ozone unit was upwards of $200, I figured I could make one of my own for far less money. I bought a Scentlok OZ20B unit from Cabela's for $76 and a 27 gallon Commander tote for about $10. Drilled a 1 1/2" hole in the end of the tote, and used some self-adhesive Velcro to mount the ozone unit inside. The OZ20B has settings to run for either 1 or 3 hours. They're listed on Scentlok's site now for $49.

Fast-forward to September of 2020. Some of us are lucky enough to live in areas with White Castle restaurants. Some of you boys in southern states have Krystal Burgers, which look pretty much the same as White Castles, but White Castles are more greasy, with grilled onions, and have a much more distinct, pungent odor than Krystal Burgers. Well, I picked up some White Castles on my way home from work one evening, and to keep them warm I wrapped them in a hand towel I had in my truck. The next day when I went to work, my truck still had that distinct odor of White Castles. I sniffed the towel, and it also had that odor, which got me to thinking.

When I got home from work, I dug the White Castle bag out of the trash, put the towel in it, and put them in the microwave for a few seconds to "reactivate" the scent. I left the towel in the bag for a while to make sure it absorbed maximum scent. Then I put the towel in my home-made ozone tote and fired it up on the 1-hour setting.

After the 1-hour ozone generation cycle, and maybe leaving the towel in the tote for a little while longer, I couldn't smell any remnant of the White Castle odor.

Not a high-level scientific experiment, but it made me a believer in the odor elimination power of ozone. As for using an ozone unit in a tree stand or a ground blind, I'm not convinced of their usefulness. At 3-500 bucks for an Ozonics unit, I'm not likely to find out any time soon. Good Hunting.

22-Nov-20
I don’t think that anyone is arguing that ozone doesn’t destroy odor.

Interesting experiment though.

Also, Whitecastle is also bad for you :)

22-Nov-20

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I use one of these in my farm pickup. I park it out in the shop, and the damn mice get into it occasionally. Mouse urine smell SUCKS! I’d much rather it smelled like White Castle burgers. This does a great job of eliminating the odor for several days at a time.

• Sitka Gear