APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Other side was normal
APauls's embedded Photo
Other side was normal
APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I was butchering the buck I killed in the “DECOY SUCCESS” thread. When cutting meat off the front right leg scapula the bone seemed funny. I cleaned it off and this is what it looked like. Very happy I didn’t hit the scapula. Normally I have zero issues shooting through a scapula. My first deer ever I shot through both scapulas of a doe with a rocket steelhead.

By no means do I want to sound like a millennial that always needs to find blame elsewhere but every now and then we have those head scratcher moments where a “sure kill” isn’t. We’ve all heard of deer that were literally double lunged and oddly survived etc. This buck just happens to have a scapula that’s an inch thick. That’s one where you put it there, hear the crack and go “huh, didn’t think I would have hit the leg bone in that location but I guess I did.”

On a 4.5 year old Canadian deer that’s gonna cause an arrow fits I don’t care what head you’re shooting.

20-Nov-20
Just think if all that bone had migrated into head gear. ;-)

20-Nov-20
Tough animals that can survive some punishment

I trapped a large male bobcat years ago that had a healed and funky shoulder and scapula. He was very fat and large for our area, so he'd gotten over it. But it was jacked up.

Wish I'd taken a picture, but it was before the days of digital :)

• Sitka Gear