TrapperKayak 24-Nov-20
Bear 1955 27-Nov-20
20-Nov-20

Hessticles's embedded Photo
Hessticles's embedded Photo

20-Nov-20
Good main beam mass.

20-Nov-20
I think they should make some folks take an animal indentification test before they can buy a license.

20-Nov-20
wonder what else he shot over the years.

20-Nov-20
Are spikes legal?

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!

20-Nov-20
Hell that’s closer than the guy that mistakes a moose and elk. At least they’re the same color and size!

20-Nov-20
I don't buy it. How did the truth come to light? Was caught by the law shortly after the kill and tried to say "I didn't know!" Seems like a willfull kill with an empty, lame excuse to justify poaching AFTER getting caught. BUT, I wasn't there and I don't know the story. So maybe there is someone out there that's really that poor of an outdoorsman...but I just don't buy it.

20-Nov-20
The LEO ask to see his “deer” permit?

20-Nov-20
I doubt it was lack of knowing the species. I’d guess they shot it knowing exactly what it was and then got caught. Sheep and deer don’t look close to me

20-Nov-20
I agree. I would assume The very worst of intent and behavior as opposed to anything less nefarious.

20-Nov-20
Ignorance of the law ( species, in this case ) is no excuse.

20-Nov-20
Oh the stories he will tell

20-Nov-20
I cannot think for one second that he thought it was a deer..

20-Nov-20
I shot spike horn once with 19-inch spikes but this one's ridiculous

20-Nov-20
No wound seen. Blood on the nose and butt...

Texas Heart Shot?

20-Nov-20
What ermine said. The idiot knew what it was when he arrowed it. When he got caught, the story changed.

20-Nov-20
Does it count towards his sheep slam

20-Nov-20
It is our rifle season, so I believe he was shot with a rifle

20-Nov-20
Is that what they call a Nebraska 11 pointer?

20-Nov-20
Sad.

20-Nov-20
Since when does Nebraska have Aoudad?

20-Nov-20
Awesome browtines

20-Nov-20
Thats a not a Aoudad

20-Nov-20
Devil's advocate- Nebraska has either sex deer tags. Guy sees the body, head is behind a bush. Boom at 300 yards. Never expects to find a sheep south of Scottsbluff or anywhere in that part of Nebraska.

20-Nov-20

paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Scottsbluff area big horned sheep
Scottsbluff area big horned sheep

20-Nov-20
Here's another Devil's Advocate scenario: The guy has hunted a total of 15 days his entire life and shot 5 deer with a rifle. He's like one of the majority of hunters in this country that doesn't give hunting a second thought till it gets close to hunting season and he dusts off his rifle and goes out to put some cheap meat in the freezer. Sees deer on his drive to work every day of his life. Sees an animal, boom. Oh crap, this isn't a deer...

It's possible the guy shot a sheep intentionally or in the heat of the moment. It's also possible that he's like the vast majority of hunters that unlike us, doesn't eat, drink, breath, and sleep hunting, hunting, hunting and can make a mistake none of us would ever make.

21-Nov-20
I'm guessing $25K + probably CAN fix stupid.

21-Nov-20
^^^ This!!! He will be working to pay fines rather than out shooting random critters!!!

21-Nov-20
Or like many Rifle hunters in NE he hopped in his pickup at 430 pm to hunt and upon driving up to his spot sees a brown critter he rolls the window down taps the brakes and double taps the trigger. Jumps the fence to drag it to the pickup...lol. Slight exaggeration! He didn’t jump the fence he just drove through the open gate...must be open to hunting!!

21-Nov-20
Andy likely nailed it.

21-Nov-20

for get about the head of these sheep and mule deer, but similar body color and white rump. Without much experience, I can see a hunter may have shot first and then, "WHAT!" after the shot.

21-Nov-20
Great pics Paul. Coupled with reading above an either sex hunt.....n not an excuse but maybe a bit of explanation. And yeah, I'd say $25,000 can go a ways toward kicking the stupid outta ya....

Great case for needing lots of head to toe glowing orange in rifle season.

21-Nov-20
Wonder if he got caught at the check station and really though it was a deer? All deer must be checked in during rifle season I believe.

21-Nov-20
MORRILL — Nebraska’s bighorn sheep hunting season wrapped up Wednesday afternoon as the second of the state’s two permit holders found success at Montz Point Wildlife Management Area in Scotts Bluff County.

Trevor Premer of McCook, who won his permit by a lottery open to Nebraska residents, harvested a 7 1/2-year-old ram to conclude a hunt that began Monday in the Pine Ridge but concluded in the Wildcat Hills. The other hunter, Frank Tritz of LeMars, Iowa, won his permit by an auction sponsored by the Wild Sheep Foundation and harvested an 8 1/2-year-old ram Dec. 3 on a remote escarpment of the Pine Ridge National Recreation Area south of Whitney.

Todd Nordeen, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission big game and disease research manager who supervises the hunting program, said both rams harvested this year were trophy caliber Rocky Mountain bighorns, the subspecies that resides among the rugged sandstone buttes and escarpments of the Nebraska Panhandle. The ram harvested Wednesday marks the 27th in Nebraska since the Game and Parks Commission’s hunting program began in 1998.

The number of Nebraska bighorn sheep permits available each year is based on the state’s population of the species, especially mature rams, as determined during monitoring by Game and Parks staff. The permit winners are assisted by Game and Parks staff and treated to meals and lodging at Fort Robinson State Park.

Money from the hunts has been vital to bighorn sheep conservation in Nebraska. About $1.5 million has been raised through the lottery applications and auctions.

Reintroduction efforts for bighorn sheep began in the 1980s

21-Nov-20
This year, in Nebraska, all deer taken were not presented physically at a check in station but were check in via computer check in because of Covid. And I will add this, if a guy was going to poach a sheep, they would not have shot this young one. I have seen a few full horned ones, while turkey hunting in the area.

22-Nov-20
Yeah, that’s another thing. It’s a class II ram. Why would you poach a class II ram?

23-Nov-20
I agree. I would assume The very worst of intent and behavior as opposed to anything less nefarious.

24-Nov-20
Years ago we were elk hunting in Colorado. Had a kid in his late teens from there hunting with us. He got back to camp and told us that he saw 11 spike bucks running together. He was shocked when we told him they were Big Horn ewes running down the skyline.

24-Nov-20
At least he didnt shoot his hunting partner.

27-Nov-20
and it looks like it was shoot in the hind quarters. yep you can't fix dumb.

• Sitka Gear