Skippy 22-Nov-20
PECO 22-Nov-20
Dale06 22-Nov-20
Oryx35 22-Nov-20
Scooby-doo 22-Nov-20
Jaquomo 22-Nov-20
3dvapor 22-Nov-20
20-Nov-20
Is there really a noticeable difference in 80 vs 85% let off? What the pro/con between the two?

20-Nov-20
No there is not. On a 60 pound bow it’s 3 pounds. States have different laws though

20-Nov-20
I think Colorado's max is 80% letoff

20-Nov-20
At 85% you can take a nap at full draw.....

As ‘Bou said, if you’re drawing #60 to begin with, it’s #3 - the difference between holding #9 vs #12.

But from a different perspective.... 5% of 60 may be only #3, but 3 is 33% of 9. Do you think you would notice 33% more??

I’d bet you could feel the difference, but I don’t have any clue whether it would affect your accuracy.

I can’t say as I have really FELT the difference between one of my #52s and my #62 at full draw, but the higher weight does command your attention and so far I will say that I have noticed no ill effects on my accuracy at the higher poundage.... if anything, I may be MORE accurate.... at least for the first dozen or dozen and a half shots.

But I don't lounge around at full draw. I’m maybe 5 seconds, tops, unless I’m holding it just to hold it....

20-Nov-20
Some guys find as they get older that it gets harder and harder to hold it longer.

20-Nov-20
Ike, I got that!

Diff between 80 and 85 lbs is a $179 ticket and confiscation of your animal. in CO.

20-Nov-20
Anyone else know what states have “let off” restrictions?

20-Nov-20

Bowboy's Link
Here a link to Western States.

20-Nov-20
Many have no restrictions. The scoped and cocked crossbow is 100 % let off and is legal for all hunters in many states during general archery seasons, only 15% more let off than the latest compounds.

20-Nov-20
Ike i think you meant its harder to keep it harder longer as you get older even if you hold it :)

20-Nov-20
Bow boy, thanks, very helpful.

21-Nov-20
If you have had 3 shoulder surgeries and a 4th imminent...your damn right there is a difference. I have two bows with those respective let-offs and shoot them back to back on occasion. The difference is noticeable. I do believe a lower let off is more accurate though unless you really,really have solid shooting discipline.

21-Nov-20
I shoot 80% because I have plans to hunt Colorado, but I can definitely tell the difference between 65 and 80% letoff. At 80% letoff the length of my beard can impact accuracy. I cannot imagine 85% letoff.

22-Nov-20
How would a Colorado game warden know the difference between 80% let off and 85% let off?

22-Nov-20
^ That is what I am wondering. Is he going to inspect the bow? Does he know all bow models and cam markings? Is he really going to care, or is he going to be a dick? I'm not going to test him though.

22-Nov-20
Possibly the game warden has a scale that measured let off. Interesting question. I’ve bowhunted 43 years in many states and Canada, and have never seen a game warden. I’ve been checked 5-10 times gun hunting.

22-Nov-20
I'm not sure about other brands, but on Hoyt bows the letoff is marked pretty clearly on the cam. That said, I'd be surprised if a warden ticketed someone for it. From an ethical standpoint, I'm not sure I would distinguish between 80 and 85% letoff, but I certainly do draw a line at hunting violations. Arbitrary or not, it is the law in some states.

22-Nov-20
I have had total shoulder replacement on my bow arm and at least 5 surgeries on my drawing shoulder. I am due to have my right shoulder replaced in March. I have dropped to 57#s and I notice no difference between 80-85% let off. Its about 2.6#s. I can still hold at full draw for quite a while but rarely hold very long, just settle the pin, pick a spot and shoot. As far as more accurate I doubt very few people could tell the difference if you handed them a bow and said shoot it, than asked if it was 80 or 85% let-off. They would just be guessing. Shawn

22-Nov-20
Some CO wardens are checking. A Bowsiter had a warden come in to their camp the night before their hunt and inspect their bows, checked the letoff, warned a couple of them but couldn't ticket them because they weren't actually hunting then. When I worked for Game, Fish and Parks (before it was CPW) I met some overzealous, usually younger WCOs who cared about stuff like this.

22-Nov-20
Lol right, If it isnt stamped on the cam they didnt check draw weight. Can you imagine the chit show with them dry firing your bow or torqueing the bow wrong and derailing the string. please.

• Sitka Gear