Hawkeye 22-Nov-20
Ironbow-cell 22-Nov-20
midwest 22-Nov-20
Predeter 22-Nov-20
papadeerhtr 23-Nov-20
StickFlicker 29-Nov-20
Ron Niziolek 30-Nov-20
20-Nov-20
First off ....give it a listen. Anything he's involved in is educational and entertaining. Secondly, this guy has forgotten more about mule deer than most and he is on the podcast asking people their opinion on aiming to compensate for mulies dropping and what to do to combat these string jumpers. Says a lot about him. A guy with his track record is humble enough to ask what others are doing and how they do it. He's bowhunted mulies 50 years and in his opinion still hasn't figured it out. He's undeniably one of the best.

20-Nov-20
Amen

20-Nov-20
Ditto. Randy has forgotten more....

My advice for string jumpers is to aim lower... The problem with muleys is that most don't jump the string and duck, so unless you're clairvoyant and can identify a string jumper ahead of time, all you can do is aim at the heart and hope you don't drop your bow arm or underestimate the range and shoot low.

20-Nov-20
I agree with Lou. You can't predict when they will or wont.

The only true way to combat string-jumping is really close shots as there's just not time for them to jump the string on the really close ones. Look at the slo-mo videos: they don't jump the string at the bowshot. It's when the arrow is most of the way to the animal.

I love 6-12 yard shots because it's like it's automatic so long as you can get drawn without getting busted. I hate 30-35 yard shots. I'd rather shoot an animal at 50 yards than 30.

20-Nov-20
I can relate to his year............Uff.............

20-Nov-20

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
Speaking of Randy Ulmer and Chad! Saw this is a Pope and young newsletter

I was wondering why didn’t see a pic of Randy with a mule deer this year. Sounds like he missed a big one

I’m always Impressed by Randy. He kills giant bucks. Just finding mule deer year after year like that let alone killing them is impressive. I always try to listen to when he talks or read what he writes

21-Nov-20
He didn't miss Justin, he wounded a giant and was sick about It still. Trying to recover the buck actually put him in the hospital.

For those of you that listen to podcasts, this is a must listen. He talks about a lot of interesting things. How he epoxies everything on his bow, how he always stalked to 60 yards and shot and how he is considering shooting at them at longer distances due to string jumping. I'm sure not everyone agrees but it's what has worked for him and it's hard to argue with his success.

21-Nov-20
There’s a lot of celebrity hunters that are scumbags. Randy isn’t one of them. Had the pleasure of having dinner with him a few years ago and he’s as humble and solid in person as he comes across on camera, an absolute treasure to bowhunting.

21-Nov-20
Whenever I find a podcast with Randy Ulmer, I save it. I find I can listen a dozen times and still learn something.

21-Nov-20
I’ve never met Randy, but from everything I’ve ever seen or read on, or about him, he is the antithesis of a blowhard, celebrity hunter. His consistent track record of locating and killing huge muleys (and pretty much everything else he goes after) is unbelievable. He’s a great ambassador for our sport, IMO.

21-Nov-20
A few years ago at P&Y Randy and I were looking at the Harms buck - the new typical WR - and discussing the antler config, and it was just two muley hunters admiring a trophy. Even though I don't believe he would have done what Harms did to kill that buck (all legal, just the Mexico thing..) there was not a trace of envy in his conversation. I think he had the #2 typical that year and he never even pointed it out to me. Humble man, great bowhunter.

21-Nov-20
I had the pleasure of shooting a 3D tournament with Randy years ago. He's truly a standup guy. I've never met a more detail oriented archer, who is willing to share his knowledge. Oh, and he's not a bad shot, either. ;-)

I've never had a mulie jump my string unless they were looking at me at the time of the shot. I think they react to the visual as much as the sound of the shot. And I'm with Ike, I prefer either a chip shot, or a 40-50 yard shot. The mid-range shots seem to have a higher probability of going wrong.

Matt

21-Nov-20
He's had a couple of great podcasts with Dudley, too. Always worth a listen for those wanting to learn more about archery and killing big animals. Always humble, no dogma.

21-Nov-20
Guys a class act ... When he writes I read it

21-Nov-20
In addition to Dudley, Jay Scott had done a few great podcast with Randy as well.

And the Epic boys; Jason Carter and Eric Bronson.

All very different styles of interviews but all FULL of great information.

22-Nov-20
Where can I find this podcast?

22-Nov-20
Great thread!

22-Nov-20
Met him at the IBO worlds in NY . My kids where little and getting autographs. He sat on the floor chatting with them. He asked if they wanted more autographs, then took them over to a group of 3D pros, interrupted them, introduced my kids and they all signed the book.

At dinner that night he walked in for dinner. Saw us at our table and came over to say hi to the kids.

To this day, they are 28 and 30, they remember who Randy Ulmer is

22-Nov-20
I have always looked up to him, and whenever I come across ANYTHING that he writes or says--I am all ears. I would love to listen to that podcast.

22-Nov-20
Great podcast. On a good day I can shoot at 60 yds as good as Randy does-at 120!!

I have been bow hunting 47 years and after listening to that I don’t feel like I know anything. The man is a wealth of knowledge and yet feels like he has a lot to learn.

22-Nov-20

midwest's Link
papadeerhtr, try this link...

22-Nov-20
Thanks for the heads up, will definitely give it a listen.

Randy, Chuck Adams, and Dwight Schuh have always represented a class of bowhunters a step above the rest in the outdoor "industry".

23-Nov-20
I found it on Iheart podcast very interesting. Randy Ulmer in my opion is top of the heap in hunting arena.

29-Nov-20
Randy is currently writing an article on early season mule deer hunting to be printed in the upcoming Pope and Young velvet record book. I agree. When a man can kill 5,000 inches of velvet mule deer (most of which are in the 200 inch or better class), I'm going to listen to what he has to say!

30-Nov-20
Had the pleasure of helping out on Randy's Wyoming sheep hunt years ago. He is as humble as they come and amazingly deadly with a bow. His family is a pleasure to be around as well.

• Sitka Gear