Adventurewriter 28-Nov-20
Ermine 28-Nov-20
greg simon 28-Nov-20
ki-ke 28-Nov-20
APauls 28-Nov-20
orionsbrother 29-Nov-20
25-Nov-20

Destroyer350's Link
"Chasing down an antelope on the open prairie is about a lot more than just winning the race"

I'm sure exhausting a whole herd of antelope in the heat is pretty inhumane and stresses them out. I cant believe Outdoor Life would be pushing this as an ok way of killing an animal.

25-Nov-20
I bet the meat will be gamey after running them around as much as would be required to tire one out.

25-Nov-20
I try and avoid threads like this all together, but you caught me in a salty moment so I'll take the bait.

I keep TRYING to come on bowsite, but I'm getting more and more turned off by hunters tearing down hunters and the giant ethics committee that can't agree amongst themselves who should be hung for their actions and who should be praised. Get out there and hunt. Share about it. And then lets enjoy the different paths we all take to get there. I'm not condoning wounding or bouncing them off the front of your chevy, but let's not forget the end game here is to KILL the animal not put it into a deep sleep so we can pet it.

Likely on another thread somewhere on the front page here you'll find someone ranting about how any shot over 20 yards is unethical, and here we've got a guy basically trying to train himself to actually be a wolf (LOL) and catch an antelope for crying out loud. That's something I'm going to want to hear about...

25-Nov-20
Agreed Matt. Want to taste some terrible game meat? Try Antelope that’s been run so far it finally gives up. I just skimmed the article but I don’t see how you run one down. Seems like you’d lose sight, run out of the unit/public property, or run out of time before it got dark. Seems like all you’re doing is stressing them and if it’s during the rut there’s a chance you could really mess up their mating.

25-Nov-20
Interesting read. I'll bet Forrest Gump could do it.

I'm not a runner but the guy is dedicated that's for sure.

25-Nov-20
That’s what is nice about the free market.......if you don’t like the product (article), you don’t have to buy it (magazine). :).

25-Nov-20
That dude is one hell of a runner.

25-Nov-20
I understand that BOHNTR but to write about running down a herd of antelope to exhaustion in extreme heat to shoot it seems distasteful and out of touch with the message that we try to send to non hunters. It wasnt just their magazine, they posted in on social media yesterday.

25-Nov-20
Obviously the writer disagrees with you. Just bringing to light that mine and your viewpoints are not always the gospel......there’s many way to skin a cat....providing it’s legal.

25-Nov-20

walking buffalo's Link
These bowhunters have it figured out. Run down your elk in a fenced enclosure.

Alberta F&W policy debated the topic a few years ago. While it is currently still legal to run down an elk on foot, F&W expressed a concern about Americans coming up here to do just this thing, declared a desire to avoid any bad media, intentions to make this illegal.

The debate came on the heels of international media and anti-hunting organizations piling on the Alberta government for allowing spear hunting of a black bear by an American. It is now illegal in Alberta to hunt big game with a spear. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKCUGSQdZ4I

25-Nov-20
https://www.espn.com/espn/news/story?id=6110087

This is a long read, however it sheds a little light on the origins of persistence hunting. He is doing something that most Americans have never heard of. I remember watching a documentary about this and thinking,,, Wow! those fellers are hardcore! A far cry from driving around with a spotting scope. I wish him success and however gamey that lope may taste, I bet he would smile after every bite.

25-Nov-20

AZ8's Link
Long before we were born.

25-Nov-20
Stupid. But if that’s his way of hunting......

25-Nov-20
Just be because you can legally be an ass doesn’t mean you should be.......

25-Nov-20
Running them off cliffs were also long before we were born

25-Nov-20
Used to do human sacrifices too. That went away a few years ago...

25-Nov-20
So what. Who cares. We kill stuff. Sometimes we kill them while napping. Is that fair. Sometimes we run them tired and kill them. In the end they are dead at our hands. Big deal.

20,000 guys will go out and kill one by sitting over a puddle. one guy go out and actually hunts and exerts himself and he’s subject to public bashing

People are the best entertainment out there. So fun to watch.

25-Nov-20
Let us know when he’s successful. Will make for a more interesting conversation.

25-Nov-20
"Agreed Matt. Want to taste some terrible game meat? Try Antelope that’s been run so far it finally gives up."

I killed one once that we had spooked and while escaping his herd ran into another herd. They combined and ran over a distant ridge. We circled way around them in a vehicle only to come upon the herd bucks 250 yards away and squaring off for a fight. I killed one in the middle of the battle and have never tasted a nastier antelope. Basically inedible.

25-Nov-20
"So what. Who cares. We kill stuff. Sometimes we kill them while napping. Is that fair. Sometimes we run them tired and kill them. In the end they are dead at our hands. Big deal."

So you kill one and potentially the rest of the herd. K. Got it.

25-Nov-20
Outdoor life and Field & Stream are 2 magazines standing on their last leg. They went from a monthly publication to one that was published every other month to one that is now published quarterly.

25-Nov-20
In a way, this technique is not a whole lot different than what Larry Benoit used to do. He'd get on a big buck's track and literally pursue him for DAYS. Many times when he'd get his shot it was because the deer just finally stopped and stood there in a, "Just who in the hell IS this guy?", look on his face.

World renowned horseman Monty Roberts has perfected a training/gentling method called Join Up. Part of it is where you work with an unbroke horse in a round pet where you "chase" is from you if it's running away from you until it eventually stops and comes towards you. I saw him do this at a clinic he gave which I attended years ago. I read his book where he actually did this with wild mustangs. It took him days and he had people furnish him with fresh horses that he could ride until the wild horses stopped and approached him.

I don't know if this antelope hunting method is the same, as I've never done it and don't want to, but I have done this with horses in a round pen and I can see some of the similarities. Just my take.

25-Nov-20
I believe that the Watusi and the Masai used to run down their prey. Because of their extreme height, and the reasonable flatness of the portion of Africa where they lived, the animal could never get beyond the natives "horizon", so the natives simply kept an eye on their prey and basically ran them down, and then speared them.

25-Nov-20
I’d say that’s the ultimate subsistence hunting technique. Almost all subsistence methods are considered Unsporting these days, and a great number of them our widely perceived as unethical even when not strictly illegal.

This guy must be seriously Bad Ass to even consider such a thing. Have to wonder if he stresses the animals 1/10th as much as a half a dozen guys in pick-ups with “500-yard rifles”.

Somehow I really don’t think this is going to catch on in the main stream. So JMO, anybody who has a real issue with his technique should just get off of the damn ATV, chase him down and kick his ass.

25-Nov-20
That’s not a longbow that guys carrying...can’t trust a word from that article writer now...can’t even get the simplest of details correct

25-Nov-20
I read it too. I basically thought the it was a ridiculous way to hunt but if thats what he wants to do then so be it. I put it right up there with the guy whose dream was to kill a brown bear or grizzly with an obsidian head. Maybe its just me but I want an animal dead and dead quick when I shoot it. Just my 2 cents

25-Nov-20
Jaquomo-ummmm, I'm thinking there might be a few places in the wilds of some Jungle you "might" end up in a pot. And as far as , I'm guessing it happens on occassion in the BIG crazy cities (Sacrifice). You know, like your taking this one for the good of the "hood".. Sacrifices (human) of some sort will always exist.. Our Honorable Military do it on a daily basis, God Bless their souls..

25-Nov-20
I can't understand the mind that would think this is a good idea. Seems extremely disrespectful to the game animal. There are plenty of ways for him to test his physical prowess without it ending in killing a animal so exhausted from heat stroke it can't stand up.

25-Nov-20
“So what. Who cares. We kill stuff. Sometimes we kill them while napping. Is that fair. Sometimes we run them tired and kill them. In the end they are dead at our hands. Big deal. 20,000 guys will go out and kill one by sitting over a puddle. one guy go out and actually hunts and exerts himself and he’s subject to public bashing”

Was that the lion hunt mentality?

26-Nov-20
Any critics consider that likely 80 percent of the Antelope in NA are shot over the hood of a truck and human sacrifice might be on the horizon the ways things are going

26-Nov-20
I have nothing but admiration for the fellow in the article and wish him well. Aside from agreeing about the resulting quality of meat, I cannot fathom the criticism from this crowd. That stated, given AZ8's link, he needs to choose a critter with a higher body mass. :)

26-Nov-20
More power to the guy. Regardless of what we think is ethical, if successful an animal dies.

26-Nov-20
Even if I were an ultra, or even a regular marathon runner, I would not hunt that was.

26-Nov-20

26-Nov-20
Probably one of the most pure and primitive ways to hunt. Humans evolved to be able to do this. But now most humans are too fat assed from being lazy and using technology to even comprehend.

I remember reading about a northern whitetail hunter that did a similar type of hunting.

Cudos to him for being in shape and able to perform this type of hunt.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

26-Nov-20
“ I put it right up there with the guy whose dream was to kill a brown bear or grizzly with an obsidian head. ”

That’s not remotely comparable. I’m not saying that it doesn’t take a great deal of skill to craft a good arrow with an obsidian point on it, but a well-made stone head is many times sharper than any steel blade can ever possibly be made to be. Scanning electron microscopy has proven this many times over.

This guy is hunting mostly in the style of our earliest, earliest hunting ancestors, and he is doing so while chasing an animal that is a lot harder to run down than one of the large African species; when it comes to overheating, the bigger you are the easier it happens.

And somehow I don’t think this guy is concerned about the moral condemnation of a bunch of guys who sit up in trees over bait piles or around the edges of food plots waiting for one of their named, Hit List bucks to show up.

26-Nov-20
I find this style intriguing. Of course it's not anything new to the world as already mentioned. I couldn't do it....I'd be too pooped and outta gas to tote the critter back after I spent all days chasing him down.

26-Nov-20
Well, at least he doesn’t name the antelope he chases, as far as I know.

26-Nov-20
I wonder how many bow hunters would be so favorably inclined if, say a dozen "hunters" all "hunting" the same area this way, were doing this where they were sitting in a blind, or trying to spot and stalk, and every pronghorn they saw had its tongue hanging out, barely able to walk. Maybe if this became popular enough we could just leave our bows home, and just like wolves, we could take turns, relay stile, to run them down. With electronic coordination, hunts like that could be quite exciting. This could change hunting from a perspective of killing an animal before it even knows it's in peril, to how much we could terrorize it first. Sounds great!

26-Nov-20
Ziek there are not 10 hunters out of the 10,700,000 bug game hunters in the USA that would ever care to try this. The sport is not at risk. Blind-sitters are going to be fine.

27-Nov-20
Ziek there are not 3 hunters out of the 10,000,000 plus in the USA that would ever care to try this. The sport is not at risk.

28-Nov-20
“Used to do human sacrifices too. That went away a few years ago...”

LMAO

28-Nov-20
Remember a few years back the guy who killed the bear with the spear. The Peta types were all about "get outta of that tree and face one like a man", he did and they lost their shit.

28-Nov-20
It doesn’t really Bother me. It’s a lot more sporting than today’s craze of shoot them at 800-1000 Yards with a rifle.

I personally wouldn’t run one down and sure as heck the meat won’t taste good. But I think the odds of this guy actually Making it happen are very low. I know some African tribes do It. But when Doing it with pronghorn they probably just laugh and leave him in the dust!

28-Nov-20
Hell in my experience with pronghorn I think they would be hard to run down in a truck!!! I some guy can do it on foot more power to him!

But I surely would not want him in an area I was trying to stalk an antelope.

28-Nov-20
It’s an impressive effort, by a guy that’s obviously a physical anomaly in this day and age. I was intrigued by the article. I would be incredibly impressed if this guy accomplished his goal. He’s been at it for 5 years without success and I believe his only chance will be to find a previously wounded or sick goat that can’t keep up with the herd. I don’t believe he will ever find the limits of a healthy antelopes’ endurance. That, and the fact that antelope will get bored of this pain in the ass and just jump to seemingly another stratosphere, not to be seen again for days.

What bothers me about this.... is imagine being a puddle sitter or S/S’er on a legit hunt and here comes this psycho Jackwad running all the antelope off this swath of public that you and your son have been gently hunting for a week. I’d be a bit pissed....

The historical references to this method, while legit, don’t apply here, as the guy is flying totally solo, without a tribe of hungry indigenous folks depending on his success. Matter of fact, after 5 years without success, he would be considered a vegetarian by his tribe, where they would happily and unapologetically, slay and eat his stringy ass for being such a poor hunter.

I still hope he catches one.

28-Nov-20
That's pretty awesome. I've watched the video's on that african tribe that does it. If you can best an antelope at running and kill it. That's pretty awesome. I can't understand the criticism. If I see that guy run off antelope that I'm hunting on public ground and I learn what he is trying to do, I'm sorry I'd be flat out impressed. He can't do it every day. It's not a massive problem we're going to start having.

It is too bad that the general mentality in Canadian/American mentalities today is that if it doesn't align with my views it is wrong. Causing a lot of strife. And a lot of good guys to leave BS. Once again, we used to have the CF to let these guys "run and play." (Not angled at the OP, just a general complaint.)

29-Nov-20
Some guy running down antelope?

Other guys with RVs elevated on telephone poles so they can rifle “hunt” from a Lazy Boy with a fridge, microwave and TV?

I’ll hunt my way in the middle.

• Sitka Gear