EmbryOklahoma 28-Nov-20
Brun 28-Nov-20
Treeline 05-Dec-22
Treeline 20-May-23
WV Mountaineer 20-May-23
Scar Finga 20-May-23
Sunset 20-May-23
26-Nov-20
2020 was a very strange year in many ways.

Although I am ready 2020 to end and things to get back to normal, I certainly did not sit in my basement and hide from anything. I pursued my passions with gusto, had some fabulous hunts, and had experiences that exceeded my wildest dreams.

This year, I decided to finally drop my 21 antelope points in Colorado. I had actually drawn a couple of tags in years past and turned them in so would have been at 23 without the return tags. Although I could have drawn about any antelope hunt in the state for any weapon, I chose the archery hunt in Units 2 and 201.

I had been wanting to get a chance to hunt with K114 but had not been able to get on the list previously.

Knowing this would be a special hunt, I contacted Scarfinga and got on the list. INBowdude was kind enough to forgo his Wyoming antelope hunt with K114 and let me spend some time with it on my antelope hunt and a few days of deer, elk and antelope in Colorado.

26-Nov-20
Keep it coming Tavis! This should be an awesome story!

26-Nov-20
K114 is good luck! He has done some skinning for us! Looking forward to the story my friend!

26-Nov-20
Those units have not had a lot of antelope in recent years and a number of hunters that I talked to have had difficulty filling tags. Not what you would think for a tag that takes double digit points (years) to draw.

I figured all I needed was one and would make the most of it!

I spent as much free time as possible up there scouting in June and July. Found great numbers of antelope and some darn good ones!

26-Nov-20

Treeline's embedded Photo
The motorcycle was helpful scouting
The motorcycle was helpful scouting
The 15’s were useful for long range glassing
The 15’s were useful for long range glassing
A couple of nice bucks
A couple of nice bucks
Sage grouse
Sage grouse
Had a lot of fun scouting!

Although I had elk hunted in this country a few years ago, I learned far more about it and in much greater detail this year.

I love the Big Empty!

26-Nov-20
I could bore y’all to tears with all the pictures I took out scouting!

Although some of the elk I found in places no one in their right mind would think to look were pretty impressive...

26-Nov-20

K114 case and journal
K114 case and journal
Necessities
Necessities
Camp
Camp
K114 arrived on time from INBowdude. I loaded the case in the truck with all the hunting and camping gear and off we went.

I held off of any reading the journal as I expected to have plenty of time for that in a blind.

26-Nov-20

My #1 water hole
My #1 water hole
One of the bucks near the water hole
One of the bucks near the water hole
I found a good camp site with shade though the day that would help my ice in my coolers last longer. It was about in the middle of the country I was going to focus most of my efforts on and I had four water holes in the area set up with fake blinds so I could drop a pop up in there quickly if I wanted. Had two popups that I could move around as necessary.

Had set up pop ups on my two best waterholes two weeks before the season and they were covered up with antelope the week before season. My #1 water hole had 20-25 bucks around it every time I checked on it.

I expected a short hunt:-)

26-Nov-20
Ooooh baby! Keep er coming!

26-Nov-20
However, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men...

I parked about a mile from my #1 blind and hiked in well before daylight.

As dawn slowly broke, I noticed something I had never seen at this area. No antelope.

Dawn revealed a mud hole where my waterhole had been! Colorado was as dry as I have ever seen this last summer and this pond had dried down to nothing more than mud!

Not a good way to start a hunt...

I actually went back to the truck and came back with a shovel. Dug down in hopes of getting some water to puddle back and give the antelope something to drink so they would come back. No luck hitting water.

Pulled that blind and went to my second setup.

26-Nov-20

View out of the blind to Antelope Paradise
View out of the blind to Antelope Paradise
My second setup was on a water hole in an area I called “Pronghorn Buck Paradise”.

When scouting, I came across a beautiful green valley that was just stuffed with antelope bucks! Several great ones!

Only problem was that there were a lot of ponds and a small creek running through it. I set a blind on the water hole that seemed to be used the most bit was concerned that they might not come in.

26-Nov-20

The shooting gallery
The shooting gallery
My little deadly baby
My little deadly baby
I was set for a close shot to the water hole, creek or trail from the blind. Figured a slam dunk.

26-Nov-20

What’s the big deal about Black-face?
What’s the big deal about Black-face?
Due to technical difficulties (Not being able to rotate the second pic). I will just do one per post...

Wearing my face cover and definitely socially distanced! No ‘rona here;-)

26-Nov-20

Had some bucks come through but not one I wanted to shoot.

26-Nov-20
Following closely!!!

26-Nov-20
I was loving every hot, sweaty, frustrating minute of this hunt!

As I slowly roasted for hours in the sweat box, I read through all of the adventures that K114 had been on. So many awesome adventures! I started writing some of my hunt down in the blind and was humbled to have such a great experience a d to be part of such an awesome community.

Such a special place up there in the NW corner of Colorado. Without any light pollution, the stars are so amazing and it feels like you’re in the center of the universe with the stars swirling around over all of the sky above the earth. Although impossible. I really wish I could have taken a picture of those stars in that sky!

Although I was up there by myself, I was not alone. Time to reflect and be thankful for just how great and blessed we are. The silence and glory allowed for connections with God and those that have gone on. Had a number of good laughs remembering some of Kelly’s antics and comments on the Bowsite.

I tried to capture some of my feelings in the journal as the hunt continued.

26-Nov-20
Nicely said...Great read on Thanksgiving!

26-Nov-20
One of the great things about this hunt is the low number of tags. I only saw a couple of elk hunters and one guy with an antelope doe archery tag the whole hunt.

The guy with the archery doe tag turned out to be part of the CTAS family. His mother had drawn a rifle buck tag and he was basically scouting for bucks on his doe tag. I had him jump in with me and we went around some country he hadn’t looked at. I showed him what I had been finding for bucks and what I knew about some other areas further out.

I was a bit tired of sitting blinds so we stalked several good bucks. I had a spare ghillie top that I loaned him and we ended up almost closing the deal on a couple of great bucks but no shots taken.

It is a hell of a lot more fun to play cat and mouse than to just play mousetrap!

I love me some stalking critters with a bow:-)

26-Nov-20
The young man only had the day and had to return to college up in Wyoming.

Although I was enjoying my solitude immensely, I missed him when he took off. We kept in touch and he was later successful on his antelope tag and a good bull.

26-Nov-20

Slow dog
Slow dog
I decided to just keep playing the stalking game rather than cooking in a box. Took my recurve on some stalks and my longbow on others.

I found a nice bucks bedded in some broken hills and was making a stalk when two coyotes popped up out of a brushy draw. I was in full ghillie and just stood still. They continued my way until they were about 10 yards from me. The lead dog stopped as I raised and drew my bow and was trying to figure out why that bush moved.

He was a little slow.

26-Nov-20
The antelope that had been using my #1 water hole had moved several miles out the mesa and were watering at a creek in the bottom of a canyon on private land. I was amazed that they dropped down through the cliffs to go down there for water. Seeing antelope in the rocks and cliffs that were more suited to sheep was pretty crazy.

There were several good bucks in that bunch of antelope. I tried stalking them on the top of the mesa but it is really flat with no cover so I couldn’t get close enough for a shot.

After watching them for several days, I noticed that they were using only a couple of trails on and off the mesa.

I busted a stalk on a nice buck in the morning and was trying to find him again when I saw a bunch of antelope near the edge of the mesa. There was some creosote brush at the edge and potentially cover under the lip that I could use to get close.

I took off on a long loop to try and get into range.

26-Nov-20
When I arrived at my destination, the goats were gone. I eased along the rim and spied them trailing in the bottom to the creek where they had been watering.

There was a good trail off the rim so I started looking for a good place to set up a blind. There was some tall creosote that would help to break up the blind. I turned to go back to the truck for a blind when I caught movement on the top of the mesa.

I settled into the brush and glassed through it to see several does making their way towards me. The wind was good so I decided to see if I could get away with just sitting tight.

The does came on to me like they were on a string. They went past me on the trail at under 20 yards and never noticed I was there! Hmmm, maybe I don’t need that pop up.

I scanned the mesa again and saw a nice buck out about 400 yards. He was moving my way so I decided to just sit tight and try for a shot.

26-Nov-20
The buck came on just like the does had earlier. Heck, this might actually work!

26-Nov-20
The buck came right down a trail that would put him at 15 yards. I readied for the shot and let him walk past to my shooting lane.

I focused on a spot close to his shoulder as he walked past, drew and released!

He swapped ends and disappeared back the way he had come in a cloud of dust.

Damn they are quick!

26-Nov-20
I moved up to see if I could see where he went. He was still in his feet walking slowly away about 200 yards out.

That’s not good.

Obviously I did not hit him in the lungs...

26-Nov-20
Oh yeah!!

26-Nov-20
I had not grabbed my pack on the stalk so had no water.

It turned into a very long, hot, dry day.

Antelope are amazingly tough when not hit well.

26-Nov-20
Great story for this morning! thanks Tavis

26-Nov-20

Finally!
Finally!

26-Nov-20
Awesome story and pictures! Congrats on a great antelope buck!

26-Nov-20
Great story...I had a similar "tough" pronghorn in Nevada this year. I had the same response as yours....Finally. Nice job!

26-Nov-20

K114 got a little workout! Held a good edge for all the skinning and breaking down.

A great hunt made even more fun to have K114 along for the ride!

26-Nov-20

Simmering in the pot
Simmering in the pot

26-Nov-20
Beauty buck Tavis, congrats!!

I’m in a blind looking on a cellphone, but looks like the long bow did the deed?

26-Nov-20
Yes sir. That little gal is a killer!

26-Nov-20

He’s the one on the left
He’s the one on the left
On the left
On the left
Finished up and hanging with his buddies.

26-Nov-20

I’d rather be hunting
I’d rather be hunting
I got to spend a little more time with K114 but did not manage to give him any more workouts.

Honey doos.

I put a good edge on him and shipped him off to Teeton for his Wyoming elk hunt.

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this, Scarfinga! Good luck to all the guys that have the opportunity to hunt with K114!

Happy Thanksgiving!

26-Nov-20
Nicely done Tavis. Your hunt, your buck and the K114 knife are all special. We all have a lot to be thankful for; paying back the history and memories and why the K114 is special are worth the efforts all of the hunters who have been able to use K114. my best, Paul

PS, I will have the K114 on my AZ deer hunt in January. Changing it up and will be hunting mule deer and not Coues.

26-Nov-20
Great job Tavis!

26-Nov-20
Great write up Travis. Love it!

26-Nov-20
Nicely Done. Happy to see it’s still traveling along on many exciting hunts.

26-Nov-20
Great read, Tavis! Beautiful buck as well! I was thinking your hair was looking a little shaggy, till I realized it was the hood on your ghillie suit! ;-)

Where did you end up hitting your goat? It doesn’t look to be too bad in the pic, but hard to tell angle, etc.

26-Nov-20
That is his good side... The other side was pretty ugly!

First arrow hit at the back of the ribs angling back. Pass thru exit low in front of the ham. Hole plugged up.

Second right at the front of the hips. Long shot! 80 yards. Not much penetration and stopped on the spine. Made a mess of the back of the backstrap and a big hole in the hide there.

Third was 10 ring pass thru.

It was a long day.

26-Nov-20
Great story, Tavis, and even better job following up and finishing the task. Happy Thanksgiving!

26-Nov-20
Good buck, better story! Happy Thanksgiving!

26-Nov-20
Thanks for sharing! I wonder how many pronghorns are killed with trad gear without a blind each Fall? :^)

26-Nov-20
Good read Tavis!

26-Nov-20
Awesome hunt! Way to go. I’m always so impressed by guys that get it done with stick bows! My hats off to you Tavis! Your a slayer

26-Nov-20
Really great buck. Good girth, prongs, and height! Congratulations for great story and hunt. Happy Thanksgiving to you........Badbull

26-Nov-20
Awsome, congrats!

26-Nov-20
Nice, thanks for taking us along. Forrest

27-Nov-20
Fun read Tavis

Congrats,

Robb

27-Nov-20
Awesome story Tavis! Really enjoyed it. Congrats on a great goat. Reading about stalking critters is so much easier than doing it! Hats off to a job and hunt well done!

27-Nov-20
Great recap and a fine buck congrats

27-Nov-20
Thanks for taking the time to share, & congrats!

27-Nov-20
I bet he's an old buck, I'd bet very little body fat and quite goat stinky, am I right ? Really nice hunt/buck - congrats !!

27-Nov-20
Great job and thank you for taking us along!! Congrats on a nice buck! Way to stick with it!!!

27-Nov-20
Stealthy, he was not that old. In good shape and very tasty! We love antelope meat!

27-Nov-20
Congrats! Quite a hunter. Thanks for sharing a neat story! Really enjoy those solo hunts.

27-Nov-20
So your slim, straight limbed Little Lady let you hit that lope again at 80 yards?!!?

That’s impressive!!

27-Nov-20
Awesome story and awesome goat! Thanks for sharing.

27-Nov-20
I'll try this response again, since my first attempt was mysteriously deleted.

Great buck, great pics, and great recap, Tavis.

Can K114 make a pit stop at my place for a few days? I could use a little luck with these darn mulies out here.

;-)

Matt

27-Nov-20
GG....reach out to Scar finga. I think he has a list of people and dates that have signed up for their turn at hosting K114.

28-Nov-20
SOOOOO AWESOME!!! Congratulations!

Anyone interested in the knife and journal can reach out to me.

Thanks!

M

28-Nov-20
Great buck Tavis! Got it done with a longbow...not over water and not from a blind. Pretty exclusive company I'm thinking!

28-Nov-20
Congratulations, Tavis! Well done!

28-Nov-20
Well done on all counts. Thanks for sharing. I too enjoy the solo experience in that big country up there.

05-Dec-22
Ttt for another K114 story!

20-May-23
ttt for Morgan

20-May-23
I don’t know how I missed it the first time!!! I love it!!!!

20-May-23
Awesome!!!!

20-May-23

• Sitka Gear