Redskin 03-Dec-20
BTM 04-Dec-20
hdaman 04-Dec-20
Boris 04-Dec-20
Inshart 04-Dec-20
27-Nov-20

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Thought I'd share a recipe for the easiest jerky if you don't have a smoker. The ingredients you need, are Morton's Tender Quick Salt, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, coarse black pepper, and liquid smoke. Before any naysayers have issue, I'm very familiar with smoking meats, but this is for the guys who perhaps don't own one. I'll promise this. Not one single person will stop at one piece, if you do it right, and it's easy. As far as spices go, add what you want, but I believe it essential to have the liquid smoke, the tender quick salt, and sugar. Garlic, onion, and anything else, is up to you. This recipe is tried and true, and suffices even the most finicky people.

I must mention that I cook without measuring anything. The amount of salt is something I've never measured, but through time, I've just realized how much to add. Sorry. If you add tender quick at a rate of something like a quarter cup per 2 pounds of meat, you'll be close. In my opinion, just dust each piece of meat, both sides, and mix it with all the other ingredients and you'll be fine. You'll also through time, master what is best for you, your family and friends.

Start out with the flesh. I only partially thaw the meat so it cuts evenly. In this case, wild turkey and whitetail deer. 1/4 inch slices, cross grain, and you'll be just fine.

Once you salt this meat, it will start pulling moisture out immediately. By adding brown sugar, and liquid smoke, and dealing with partially frozen meat, you'll notice you have a wet brine. Perfect! This wet meat goes into a ziplock and you mix everything once again to get an even brine throughout the entire batch. I'll actually flip the meat halfway through its 24 hour brine time. 24 HOURS!

I space my piece just enough so air in the oven gets between the pieces, and they dry. You are not cooking this. You are drying it. I always spray my racks with food release, so the meat doesn't stick. Many different racks on the market, but you can hardly go wrong with cookie-cooling racks. Temperature? 180 to 200 F. It is essential to allow the moisture to leave the oven, so the door must be cracked. I use my convection setting, so there is normally a oven door button that must be pressed in, so the fan spins, while the oven door is cracked. I take a folded up dish towel and put it over the button, and push the door against it, so the door has a small gap, and the fan still spins. I also put foil on the bottom of the oven to catch the drips, and keep momma happy.

I normally rotate my racks halfway through the drying process in the oven, and normally (depending on the humidity in your home) is about 3 hours. I like mine dry, so I will just see how it looks, and determine if it needs more time. I've dried it five hours in the past, especially when the meat is thick.

I like mine to air cool before putting it in a ziplock, and cooling it overnight in the refrigerator. Jerky allowed to cool overnight just seems better. The salt/sugar combination sort of caramelizes the jerky?

I'm not sure if I've missed anything, but I'll comment as I post pictures during the tutorial, so give me a few minutes, and if you have questions, I'll try to answer. I don't expect the guys who know the process to give two turds about this, but this is a truly unbelievably tasty jerky, even if it seems rudimentary to some of you?

Here are the ingredients. Brown sugar, coarsely ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, Tender Quick, and liquid smoke.

27-Nov-20

Sliced 1/4 inch venison and wild turkey. This recipe works the same for all your meats....including beef.

27-Nov-20

Lay your meat out on a cutting board (or similar) about an inch in thickness. Remember, the meat is sliced 1/4 inch thick. Here is turkey, and venison. Both salted, and now the red pepper flakes, and coarsely ground black pepper added. I'll salt the meat, flip it, salt again, mix it, and sprinkle a bit more, then I season with pepper, sugar, and liquid smoke.

27-Nov-20

Brown sugar and liquid smoke added. Both venison and wild turkey. Once I season both sides with every ingredient, I mix the brine on the cutting board, then into a large 2 gallon bag (in this case), and mix all these layers together once in the bag, because you will be seasoning in a series, to make sure the salting or curing of the meat is as even as possible. These pictures give you an idea of the amount I add of the ingredients. Once again, you really cannot blow this.

27-Nov-20

Everything all mixed evenly on the cutting board, then into the 2 gallon ziplock to marinade or cure over a 24 hour period in the refrigerator.

27-Nov-20

24 hours later, racks filled, ready to dry for a few hours. Oven door cracked, foil on bottom of the oven. If you have convection, make sure button is pressed to allow the fan to spin. 180 to 200 F.

27-Nov-20

This is where you realize acquaintances feel like you are really a friend. This doesn't last long, so make sure the mini fridge in the garage has room for something besides your beer lol.

27-Nov-20
Looks good, thanks for sharing. Forrest

27-Nov-20
Have a smoker but learned a couple of tips here!

Will add some brown sugar and pick up some 2-gallon zip locks... For other marinading!

Also, wild Turkey jerky is on the list now!

Will pin to my favorites!

Thanks!

27-Nov-20
Does this work well with shooter style jerky?

27-Nov-20
You're welcome. Wild turkey was meant to be made this way, but it is imperative to cut the meat cross grain, or it really puts the "jerk" in the word jerky. When cutting your 1/4 inch strips, make sure to "candle" them against a light to make sure there are no pellets, if shot with a gun. Nothing worse than biting into a pellet. It will ruin your day!

I have not tried this on ground jerky. The recipe however is an oven made summer sausage recipe that I modified for jerky. I think the only hiccup might be finding the accurate salt amount. Give me a few minutes, and let me see if I can find the correct measurement somewhere. Edit: found the recipe for the summer sausage. It calls for 2 tablespoons of Tender Quick for 2 pounds of ground meat. I however found that recipe just a bit salty, so just a little less on the salt in my opinion for using the shooter. Again, I've never made my jerky that way, but I'm sure it will work just fine.

03-Dec-20
One other tip for oven drying - I use bamboo skewers and dry the jerky vertically - just fit each piece on the skewer between the oven rack struts. Can fit more in the oven than drying them flat. Use the same technique with a convection oven. I think I use more roasts for jerky than anything else. Backstraps are off limits - reserved for momma and "special" meals.

04-Dec-20

BTM's embedded Photo
BTM's embedded Photo

04-Dec-20
Thanks for sharing! I'll be trying this one soon.

04-Dec-20
I have been using our air fryer. Works great.

04-Dec-20
Has anyone tried a dehumidifier with this (type of) recipe?

• Sitka Gear