Saphead 11-Dec-20
Valley Vire 18-Dec-21
Keadog 18-Dec-21
ND String Puller 18-Dec-21
Hunts_with_stick 18-Dec-21
29-Nov-20

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
As some of you know I bought a farm in Ohio last March. It’s always nerve racking when you buy a hunk of ground since you never really know the trophy potential, surrounding pressure, and quantity of mature deer. To complicate the decision, I bought this farm from an Amish family so no trail cam pics!

I spent the spring putting in over 30 acres of crops/plots including 18 acres of beans. By mid summer I had 5 mature bucks/shooters (all would make PY) and at least 25 rack bucks on trail cam. One buck was my favorite, a giant 8 with great mass. Needless to say I was happy to confirm the quality of the deer here.

The buck vanished for five weeks and just appeared again last week. And last night I saw him for the first time. I Had him at 75 yards after watching him for an hour. Never got closer and eventually he ran another buck off.

Nothing better than seeing the top buck in daylight in the flesh after months of trail cam photos. He did not disappoint!

29-Nov-20
And???

Did you get a shot?

29-Nov-20
Sounded like he didn’t get a shot. Hopefully you were able to be right back in the stand today Pat!

29-Nov-20
Pat posted a picture from his stand today on the Bino thread. So it’s a safe bet he’s after that big guy!!!

29-Nov-20
Hope you get a crack at him. Best of luck!

29-Nov-20
Been waiting for this Pat! KS has nothing on OH;-)

29-Nov-20
Any hard horn pics of him? Definitely gets the ticker going when those big guys are visible during daylight, especially when they’re getting close to coming into shooting range. I’d liked to have heard the conversation you had with yourself, for that hour that you watched him ;-)

29-Nov-20
Should only become more consistent with his patterns going forward and if you play the odds and are patient I bet you get an opportunity. Your commitment to food will pay off over the next few weeks. Good luck!

29-Nov-20
gun season opens tomorrow. Good luck with someone pushing something your way.

29-Nov-20
Wow! More pics please.

29-Nov-20
Hey Pat, this is off topic, but you mentioned that your ground is in Amish country. I know a couple different people that own ground in Amish communities here in Illinois and Kentucky. They both have trouble with the Amish not minding property lines or seasons. My friends say that they don’t recognize local laws and the authorities don’t seem to attempt to enforce much of anything. I know that you’re just getting started there in Ohio, but I wonder if you’ve had any issues? Sure hope that you haven’t and don’t ever have any problems.

29-Nov-20
Amish don’t recognize property boundaries or game laws.

29-Nov-20
I’ve only got one Amish farm that borders me and I had a chat with their kids. Gun opens tomorrow so we’ll see. They don’t seem like they’re big on deer hunting, they seemed respectful and I was clear that I would be too. It helps that I’m living here full time too. If I was absentee I’m sure the temptation would be stronger.

Also, all my neighbors hunt and they have zero tolerance as well. I’ve got good neighbors so far.

29-Nov-20
Pat, are you permanently out of Ct?

29-Nov-20
Unfortunately no.

29-Nov-20
"75 yards", he'll be within gun range tomorrow morning...8^)

Just joking Pat, just joking...8^)

29-Nov-20
I've heard that about the Amish too I've never dealt with them.Seems counter to the whole religious beliefs thing.

29-Nov-20
Can you hunt with a bow during Ohio’s gun season?

29-Nov-20
Yes, and I’ll be hunting every day. I have to wear that ridiculous orange stuff. In NY it’s not required. I bet it’s been 10 years since I had to wear orange.

29-Nov-20
Never seen you in that color pat. You might post a selfie in it.

29-Nov-20
I basically like the Amish, usually very good people, but when it comes to hunting they will kill anything. I know a wealthy guy that bought nearly 700 acres of land in Iowa and he wanted to put a high fence up. One of the conditions was he could not have any native deer within the fence. The DNR suggested he let the Amish hunt it and they came in and wiped out the entire population. They were happy for the opportunity, but the guy said they were all business and didn’t stop until signed off by the DNR as being free of native deer. I was shocked at the DNR’s solution, but not surprised with the result.

29-Nov-20
Pat living da DREAM! <——-<<<< €

29-Nov-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
There are good oranges

29-Nov-20
Good luck getting on him

29-Nov-20
Good luck Pat !

29-Nov-20
Good luck

30-Nov-20
Cheer up Pat, I’m sure a decent deer will eventually show up :^/) Maybe next year.

I wear orange while bow hunting gun season also. and a headlamp in twilight.

30-Nov-20
At least you can bowhunt during gun season. We don't get that option in Iowa.

30-Nov-20
Best of luck with him!

30-Nov-20

I feel like I should be working at a parking lot
I feel like I should be working at a parking lot
My wife says this color makes me look thinner

30-Nov-20
Looking good Pat.......count shots today, I'd be curious to know how many you end up hearing. I'll be out tomorrow and Wednesday. Too many meeting today to swing it unfortunately.

30-Nov-20
8 so far all off in the distance. Weather is miserable!

30-Nov-20
Welcome to winter in Ohio. Dreary and wet......some snow, but mostly just crappy weather and no sun!

30-Nov-20
That Sitka pattern works well in a leaf less, grey sky, tree stand

30-Nov-20
I’m betting we’ll have a Blood Trail Challenge courtesy of the first buck Pat kills on the new property.

30-Nov-20
I’m sure the deer just assume that’s a pumpkin from the last pumpkin chunkin’ contest up in that tree...

Good luck! Hope you get a shot!

30-Nov-20
Were you holding a yield sign along the shoulder on I 80, a couple weeks back? Could have sworn that was you. Maybe Walmart ;-)

Like Midwest pointed out, at least you can bowhunt during the gun season. Good luck.

30-Nov-20
"Welcome to winter in Ohio. Dreary and wet......some snow, but mostly just crappy weather and no sun!"

Yeah, and the DOW will censure the low gun kill numbers on the weather like they do every year, yet the weather is the same dreary weather every year...8^) That's the truth though, that is their defense of the declining deer herd...

Best of luck Pat, hang in there... Great thing about owning your property, deer from surrounding hills may seek your property this week for security, you may be over whelmed with deer...8^)

30-Nov-20
Good luck Pat! It's good to know that even with all the gun hunters (and "if it's brown it's down" guys) around that your area still grows and holds nice deer.

I was so tempted to make a comment like: "well, with a crossbow that 75-yard shot would be a piece of cake" but Embry told me I have to cut back on the sarcasm, so I'm trying hard to behave.

30-Nov-20
Orange is very slimming! Looks good on you;)

30-Nov-20
If this Bowsite gig doesn't work out, at least you already have the uniform for that new career in parking lot management. ;-)

01-Dec-20
In Iowa our bow season closes during our shotgun seasons in December. I do pick up a gun for that week and have to wear orange. I don't think the color jumps out at deer as long as you sit still, movement is what typically gives us away (Fred Bear killed a pile of critters in Red Buffalo Plaid flannels). Pat, my concern with your vest choice would be the reflective tape. I would think that would really stand out in the woods and be very noticeable to the deer. Have you found yourself getting picked off by deer in the trees? Just a curious observation. Good luck!!

01-Dec-20
^^^ this. I'd definitely get rid of the reflective strips, unless it's a requirement.

01-Dec-20
+2 BOWNIRDHNTR!!!!!!!!!

01-Dec-20
That looks like a DOT vest. You are aware that there are companies (Sitka) that make orange hunting vests!

01-Dec-20
I think the reflective stripes are to protect Pat while walking in & out in the dark... you know, those evil Amish spot lighters and all.

01-Dec-20
Don't knock orange. It has saved countless lives.

01-Dec-20
I’m not really hunting now, it’s more about being visible and letting others know I’m here. Hunting a very visible stand on my north border where a hunting club leases it. The crossing guard vest was the only cheap thing I can find in blaze. Had five deer within 50 and not even a glance. Only one shot in the distance today. Crazy low pressure here.

01-Dec-20
It’s not the weekend yet

01-Dec-20
I have one of those crossing guard vests and my kids have killed several deer with it on. They sure do stand out, but the deer don't mind it.

01-Dec-20
Your wife sounds funny! :) Bring her to the next P&Y Bowsite Meet and Greet and we can listen to her roast you :)

01-Dec-20
"Pat, just put a mannequin from the BIG and TALL store to match your “Size” in the stand."

MurphyGSP, Associating Pat with "tall" in any way, shape, or form; is like putting a screen door on a submarine.....completely inappropriate.

01-Dec-20
I think they see the new bright orange or at least the brightners that come in the fabric.I always wash mine to reduce brightness and have even rubbed in dirt.It just seemed like if I was leaning up against a tree with out alot of front cover a deer would walk in the field and look straight at me

01-Dec-20
Tough time of year now. Right before a storm at a food source can be very consistent late season in Ohio, but a very small window of time.

01-Dec-20
Hey, enough with the jokes you two. I’m 5’9 and 165. Same dimensions as Jason Statham! Just sayin’

01-Dec-20
And the same hair...just sayin. :)

01-Dec-20
Heck you’re not a parking lot attendant you are a traffic cone

01-Dec-20
What is the law in Ohio, concerning tracking wounded game onto another’s property?

01-Dec-20
^^^^^ need to have permission to trespass.

02-Dec-20
PK is correct, must have permission to trespass to pursue wounded game in Ohio... It happens a lot too especially in urban zones and smaller properties...

05-Dec-20
has anything of interest shown up lately

05-Dec-20
Yes, last night my #3 showed up in my beans but only after dark. I stopped hunting after opening day. My only goal was to patrol the property and maintain visibility. Given the 'almost' non-existent hunting pressure here, I decided that was unnecessary and it was better to stay off the land and provide sanctuary for whatever deer did get bumped onto my ground. Rifle ends tomorrow, and it's extremely likely that none of my target bucks were killed so far. Nobody appears to be hunting the big property to my north, and I am in contact with all my neighboring farms. Nobody has killed a good buck that I know of. It's looking really good here.

05-Dec-20
Good luck, Pat! Hopefully you get a good one!

05-Dec-20
It will be nice once your gun season is over. Our $hit $how started this morning for, basically, the next 16 days :-(

05-Dec-20
That’s good news Pat. I’m glad it’s working out as I can only imagine the anxiousness one must feel when deciding whether it’s the right property. I know you did your due diligence but you never truly know what goes on until you are there to see it for yourself.

05-Dec-20
Glad to hear the good news Pat.

05-Dec-20
We certainly had more pressure than that. Heard maybe 50 shots a day Wednesday through Friday. Some close enough to be trespassers but hopefully not. Nice to hear that it is going well for you. Do you think that you need to remove some does at this time?

05-Dec-20
Thanks for the update Pat. Will you be hunting again in Ohio or are you done for the season?

05-Dec-20
I’m living at my Ohio place until I tag a buck or the season ends.

05-Dec-20
When does the season close? You’re definitely getting to get a lot of “boots in the tree” information this year, on the new farm, for sure!

05-Dec-20
Glad to hear Pat...

t-roy - The first statewide gun season ends tomorrow, then a 2-day statewide weekend gun season Dec 19-20, then a 4-day statewide muzzleloader Jan 2-5, with bowseason ending Feb 7th...

05-Dec-20
Thanks Zbone!

05-Dec-20
So two months to go... Should be enough time.

05-Dec-20
Good luck!

06-Dec-20
Shoot one soon or ya may go grab an antler for a trophy shot and it comes off in your hand. Had a friend shoot a huge 8pt last year during late season ML in Ohio and thats just what happened. Best of luck Pat! Shawn

07-Dec-20
If you get some really cold weather then the best hunting is still ahead of you. I think I prefer bitter cold with a good food source versus the Rut.

07-Dec-20
I'm hoping you're right. The gun season ended yesterday and I am very confident that most of my top 5 survived. The guys who lease the 1000 acres to my north did show up, but as of Saturday afternoon they had wounded 1 buck. My immediate neighbors didn't shoot any bucks, just a couple of does. Also, not one shot was heard yesterday - the last day of gun season. How crazy is that? And I was outside all day.

I am amazed at how little gun pressure there was around my farm. I was expecting far worse. I know two of my top 5 survived because I got pics of them last night. I'll be anxiously watching to see if the other 3 show up. One thing I found very interesting is that not one 'new' mature buck beyond the 5 that I've known about since July appeared either during the rut, or during rifle season. I expected to see a couple good bucks move in and that never happened. Hopefully it still may, with the late season food source.

07-Dec-20
If you have the food and cover they will come, ecsp as you know if you get snow on the ground. Should be good!! Shawn

07-Dec-20
My experience with new bucks showing up is fairly similar to yours. last year we did have a real good buck show up for the first time in January. He hung around until season ended and antlers were shed. So far he is a no show this year. We lose more bucks because we have an outfitter with about 8 stands or blinds within 250 yards plus hunting pressure is higher. Not sure what made it through this year but I saw 2 on Friday and the neighbor got the biggest on camera last night. I am very interested in hearing how you do late season. Good luck,

08-Dec-20
Don’t be discouraged or disappointed with not seeing any new bucks on camera. 2 years ago I had a 170 plus deer show up early December. I put my cameras back out but never got a picture of him. I stopped seeing him mid January . It was uncanny how he avoided trail cams.

I had the only standing beans for miles and I saw a ton of deer. So if you have food and you get some brutal weather you will have an opportunity . I also only hunt evenings in late season and bitter cold. Helps when you only have to tolerate the cold for 3 hrs or so in the afternoon.

11-Dec-20
January a great time to kill a big buck in Ohio

18-Dec-21
pat lefmine, I came across a forum a while back where you were discussing land purchases in Ohio Would like to pick your brain about this if I may Think I sent message on Facebook but reached your son If you have time would like to speak to you since close to retirement Thanks

18-Dec-21
Perfect weather here this morning in Ohio for 2nd gun. 34 and raining. I've seen the 3 biggest deer that I know of on my property in the last couple days. All 3.5 and one right around 150. Really hope they make it through the season.

18-Dec-21
This reminds me of what my wife said during gun season. “You remember on the movie Hunger Games, when someone dies, a hologram appears in the sky of who died? Well too bad we couldn’t have that when the neighbors kill a deer! “ Yes hun that would be nice. SMH

This year it looks as though 3 of the biggest died from EHD, haven’t seen them since August. Good luck Pat !

18-Dec-21
What part of Ohio are you in? I am hoping the Amish stay out of where I hunt.

• Sitka Gear