nowheels 06-Dec-20
Woods Walker 06-Dec-20
KSBOW 06-Dec-20
Woods Walker 06-Dec-20
Keith 06-Dec-20
Matt 10-Dec-20
midwest 10-Dec-20
29-Nov-20
Sorry for the morbid topic. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread, if you feel it's inappropriate.

Last Thursday I lost a close cousin to Covid. He was 71 years young and in great health. No "pre-exiting conditions". After experiencing mild symptoms, he tested positive in mid-October. After a short hospital stay, they sent him home, where his symptoms got worse. He was readmitted to the hospital shortly after that. After a 4 week battle to control the virus in his lungs, the docs finally resorted to a ventilator. He lasted about a week after that. He's survived by a loving wife, 3 sons, and a large band of family and friends, all of whom are heart-broken over his passing.

RIP, my dear friend and cousin. You will be missed.

If you care to share your Covid loses, please do. Misery loves company, I guess.

Be safe out there, folks.

Matt

29-Nov-20
Matt,

Just found out from Scott yesterday. I am so sorry man! Prayers sent for the family.

29-Nov-20
My 92 year old dad got Covid from a staffer at his nursing home. He felt crappy for five days and then recovered. It’s such a strange disease how it affects everyone so differently. We thought for sure he wouldn’t survive.

Matt, My condolences.

29-Nov-20
It’s finally hitting hard in NW Oklahoma. I know many old people that have done fine with it but 2 in their 70s that died. One I worked for in my college days and still interacted quit a bit with. He was a farmer that did odd jobs as well. Early 70s but otherwise healthy. He had been drilling wheat and would get dust pneumonia every year. Anyone that’s farmed and loaded drills with seed and dust knows what I’m talking about. Anyways he thought it was just the dust and put off going to the doctor. When he did it was too late. By all accounts he likely would have lived another 10-15 years. If you think you might have it go get checked out.

29-Nov-20
Matt, So sorry for your loss, prayers for you & your family. My wife's Aunt died back in April from COVID-19 while in the nursing home, she was 93 and had major health issues, saddest thing is she died with no family present her last moments. This virus, like all the flu viruses can be devastating to some individuals, especially those with health issues and those 55 and older. Myself, wife and son (wife & son tested positive) a month ago, did our quarantine and everyone is fine. Was worried about the wife due to her mild asthma but she only had minor symptoms, son had bad flu symptoms for two days, me no symptoms at all. The real issue with Covid-19- it's highly contagious! Again truly sorry for your loss.

29-Nov-20
Yes, my grandfather.

29-Nov-20
My 57yr old uncle passed away last Tuesday. Pretty healthy dude, no preexisting conditions. He worked at our local hospital as an electrician/maintenance. He was at work on November 13th. and got to feeling bad. So they tested him and he was positive. By the 15th he was in the ER doing bad. They transported him to Wichita. By the 17th he was on a ventilator. Dead on the 24th. I know Covid has a low death rate. But WOW, it is crazy how it killed this man like it did. My uncle Ernie was literally one of the toughest men I knew. 6'1 probably 225lbs and tough as nails.

29-Nov-20

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
My longtime, 83 yr old salmon fishing buddy 6 houses down the road in da' hood got it from going to a wedding a couple of months back. He took me under his wing and taught me salmon fishing. Sadly...he didn't make it. We shared alot of sunrises and sunsets trolling. This one is for you buddy.....

29-Nov-20
My condolences to all here who list a loved one.

29-Nov-20
Agree with Pat, it blows me away how differently it affects people. My parents, both in their 80’s got the mild version. Both fine in a couple days only suffering mild cold symptoms. Then, you hear KsRancher’s story and some others and it gives me chills.

29-Nov-20
Not to get off topic but I wonder how many of the “mild cases” in the elderly are false positives.

29-Nov-20
Not yet. But I haven't seen my 90 year old dad in months, who is in a nursing facility.

But that doesn't mean we aren't impacted by it. My wife barely got in for a back surgery before they started denying "elective" surgeries, and I will probably need another cervical fusion (a few more test needed) that will surely be postponed.

There is a much bigger health impact than just getting Covid. Not only do we have to try not to get Covid, but we have to hope to not get ANY other serious illness or injury.

29-Nov-20
My neighbor died of it two months ago. She was in her late 70’s and had several pre-existing conditions.

A friend of the family’s mom contracted it. She never had symptoms other then loose bowls. She got so bad she was finally admitted for extreme dehydration. It was almost too late too. Took a while to get her organ function back to normal.

The problem she had was she called her local doctor for four days explaining she was unable to keep anything in. The doc just kept telling her to drink liquids.

The point I’m making is that the unknown is causing as much damage as the virus. There are people it hits extremely hard for no apparent reason. Then there are those that get complications from being positive that miss critical care they definitely need to survive. But, because they have COVID they are told to stay home versus being admitted for that care.

There has been so much misinformation and guesses involving this, it’s hard to develop an explanation of why it hurts some worse then others.

My condolences to those that have lost loved ones. Like a lot of life, there will be no certainty with why. It’s just life. Trust in the Lord for understanding of his will. As it will be done.

29-Nov-20
Condolences to those that have lost loved ones. It’s never easy

29-Nov-20
No Sorry for your loss, Matt.

29-Nov-20
Thanks, all, and my sincere condolences to others who have lost loved ones.

For those of you who have experienced loses, did you attend the funeral services? I'm battling with my wife over this. She's adamant that I don't attend out of fear of the virus. Apparently, the small town in Missouri where my cousin lived is currently having an outbreak. Everyone in town knew my cousin, so there will be a large turnout, and it's likely many of them will ignore PPE protocols and distancing. My attitude is to do what my heart says and go, but I have to consider my wife's desires, too.

Thoughts?

Matt

29-Nov-20
Matt

Sorry for your loss

Yes respect your wife's wishes and in all honesty, under the circumstances, what do you think your cousin would want you to do?

29-Nov-20
I would pass Matt. Go later and visit after this passes over. Attend remotely. Having your wife be able to tell everyone she told you so at your wake isn't worth it.

29-Nov-20
Every person needs to do what they think is right. My wife and I will be attending his funeral on Tuesday. He would have went to my funeral.

29-Nov-20
Matt, to be honest I'm not sure what the deal is with my buddy's funeral. I think the Mrs might be waiting for a better time. He (and quite a few others who attended) got it from the groom. I would not go if it was local. My view is to lead a normal life but do not go where younger folks might be congregating. From my observations....they seem to be running a little looser with prevention and of those around them or back at the house.

29-Nov-20
RK,

That's a good point, but I think funerals are more for the survivors than for the deceased. I've spoken to several other cousins, aunts, and uncles and it's about 50/50 on attending. I'll feel like a wuss, if I don't go. But, I'll also feel like a bad husband, if I do. It sucks all the way around.

Matt

29-Nov-20
No I have not lost a loved one. Friends that Have gotten it have all been fine. Met a lady the other day that had it and just turned 95 and recovered fine.

29-Nov-20
It should be only your (each individual) choice. Do what You need to do. Be smart, be safe and you should be fine if you choose to attend.

29-Nov-20
I understand. One thing for sure if you don't go you won't get sick, at least from there. Plenty of time in the future to catch up with everybody

I'm a double wuss, I've skipped two funerals this year. One turned out to be a super spreader and the other was ok for the attendees

Of course it's your choice but being thought of as a wuss for not going is pure nonsense.

Good luck I know it's a tough decision for you

29-Nov-20
Sorry for everyone's losses. No one I know personally has been taken by it. Out of the 10 or so I know that were confirmed, all but one had mild symptoms. Likely more have had it without ever knowing.

29-Nov-20
Have a friend who is in his 40’s got it and was on a ventilator for 5 months. He was extremely close to dying but managed to turn around. Sorry for your loss.

29-Nov-20
I wonder how many here that did not make it were any other blood type other then type O. I have read time and again how resilient this blood type is to the virus. Sorry for everyone's loss.

29-Nov-20
I know of around a dozen clients, friends and family that have tested positive or been told to assume positive and quarantine. Ages range from 18 to 85 and fortunately all have been mild to almost no symptoms other than loss of taste and smell. It is amazing how for some its less than a common cold and others its a lethal virus.

Condolences to all who have losses someone. Hopefully we get past this in a few months. Stay well

29-Nov-20
Matt, I can only tell you what I would do which would be to pay my respects privately if that is a possibility. Many years ago I was unable to attend my grandpa's funeral and have been bothered by that situation ever since but I would not put my family in danger of contracting this virus if at all possible. I have not lost anyone to this virus but have two family RN's with two prolonged exposures that affects the whole family in different ways. My condolences and I am sorry you must face this difficult decision. My best.....Bob

29-Nov-20
51 people have died from it in the nursing home I work for. I knew quite a few of them pretty good. It has been a couple months since we have lost any but it is making its rounds again and I believe we will lose some more soon.. Shawn

29-Nov-20
I haven’t lost anyone to Covid. Had family members test positive and recover without too much trouble.

But, I work as a critical care and emergency nurse. Spent the last four days managing Covid patients on ventilators. One of them was a co-workers ex husband. It’s a death sentence for some, others it’s less than cold symptoms. But, it is scary when you watch folks breathing 30-50 times a minute, exhausted, and knowing they will most likely die without family presence. At my hospital a Covid + patient is only allowed to have 1 visitor, if they have less than 24 hours to live. Most of the final goodbyes are now done with FaceTime ... it’s terrible.

My condolences to all of you who have lost loved ones.

29-Nov-20
Matt, My condolences.

I too have lost a few family friends since March. Back in April I had 3 funerals in one day, all conducted via video camera. It sucks for sure. You never know if it will be light or deadly.

Hopefully it improves soon

29-Nov-20
Condolences to those that lost someone to this virus my wife had it and in a couple of days was fine except for loss of taste for about two weeks stay safe Lewis

29-Nov-20
Condolences to those who have lost loved ones. I haven’t lost any family members, so far thank God, but I have a 44 y/o coworker who is fighting for his life right now in Barnes St. Louis. He came down with Covid and a week later was in the ER with double pneumonia. They sent him home with meds and 5 days later he was back in the ER where he coded. They got him back and air lifted him to Barnes. He was on full life support for 3 days and his lungs started to improve so they where able to pull life support, but left him on the vent. Then he started having strokes. I haven’t had an update for a few days so I don’t know what the status is now. On top of all of that, his household were all positive as well so his wife and kids aren’t able to be with him until they come off of quarantine and he was infected by his mother who volunteers at a local elementary school.

I had Covid myself and barely knew it. If it hadn’t been for loss of taste I never would have suspected it. No one else in my house got it from me. This is one of those things where the vast majority of people will be totally fine having it. It’s the people like my buddy that it hits like a freight train.

29-Nov-20
My condolences to Matt and all that have lost a family member or friend. My cousin (27) got it along with his buddy- both who hunt our Ohio trip, both had a fever for a couple days and got over it pretty quick. A MI state trooper buddy got it and had a fever for a day. Another close friend who’s closer to my age, 51, has it and only got tested because a guy he works with has it. He tested positive and has zero symptoms so far. It’s a tough deal, my wife and I took a pass on Thanksgiving with my brothers and sister (spouses and kids) because my wife’s parents are getting up there and she just wasn’t comfortable with the gathering. I can only say, please respect others feelings on it and hope everyone’s loved ones are safe from it!!

29-Nov-20
My cousin died at age of 57, ten days ago. He did have Covid, but had serious other health issues.

29-Nov-20
I know of a couple of people who have died from it, but I didn’t know any of them personally. I had it in mid September. I had a mild scratchy throat and occasional dry coughs. On day 2 I felt a little worse and took my temp and realized I had a fever so I scheduled a test. By the time my results came back I felt fine. The best way I could describe it is that I felt about 85-90% of normal for about 36 hours.

What worried me most was that I was visiting my parents ( both 81) when the symptoms started. After my results came in, they both got tested. My father tested positive and my mother tested negative. They had to stay in separate areas of the house for 10 days. My father had milder symptoms than I did.

Most people that I personally know who had it had mild to moderate symptoms. Ironically, the two people who had the worst cases were also two of the youngest, both healthy women in their late twenties to early thirties.

29-Nov-20

orionsbrother's Link
GG et al - Condolences to all that have lost family and friends.

My only direct contact was a guy at the archery shop who just passed away. He was a great guy. Lots of tangential contacts or “one step removed”.

Tough call on attendance at any kind of gathering right now. I get the math. The odds are firmly with you... until they aren’t.

My wife was considering taking the kids to visit her family for Thanksgiving. Her family is a wonderful, loving group of gregarious people, but live in a hotspot. And they tend to pack people in to family events like it’s a Who concert. They were talking about “being more careful” and keeping the numbers down to 35-40 this year.

My oldest has asthma and I didn’t want to be the ogre telling my wife that she couldn’t visit her family. And... as I said, I understand the math, but I wasn’t comfortable. I thought I was going to have a seizure trying to be patient to hear her thoughts, wondering if I was going to have to voice mine.

Everything might be fine attending. Probably would be. Might not be. Assess the risk factors the best you can. Take into account the probable actions of those attending. Consider if you’re going to stress your wife out.

I don’t sweat the percentages heading out on a road trip, fearing a potential accident. Throw in some layers like driving at night, in a snow storm, with icy roads, with bad holiday traffic... I get more concerned.

Here’s a link that you can access current statistical risk for gatherings by county and size with different ascertainment biases.

29-Nov-20
The post from JL above hit home for me. I missed a wedding yesterday for my buddys daughter I have known all of her life. I have a knee replacement scheduled for the 22nd and I don't want to screw it up.

My DIL was exposed from a teachers aide and she and my son tested positive 4 days later along with the kids being sick. They had moderate symptoms and are doing better.

A guy I used to work with passed away in May from COVID. He was 56yo, not overweight but had heart issues.

My heart goes out to all who have lost loved ones.

29-Nov-20

Panther Bone 's embedded Photo
Panther Bone 's embedded Photo
Lost my dad at 74 Wednesday. He was a true Appalachian mountain fly-fisherman. Never heard my dad ever talk bad about anybody in 39 years, and never saw him shun anybody or cheat anyone. He loved the Lord and his family, and had a good life.

Him, I, and my 2 yr old boy got to haul a deer out of the woods together before he got sick with COVID. I’m so glad that we have that memory at the end.

29-Nov-20
My Mom is currently fighting for her life with Covid 19 in the hospital. 76, exercised regularly, ate well, very fit for her age, no commorbidities, never smoked or drank more than a glass of wine or two. This stuff is gnarly guys!

29-Nov-20
So sorry for everyone that lost a loved one. My parents both survived mild cases. Dad is 91 and mom 87. I personally don’t have anyone close that passed away. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

29-Nov-20
Panther, Cherish the times you shared. Some people don't get the chance to grow old. Every sunrise is a blessing.

29-Nov-20
A timely thread. I got a call about 45 minutes ago from a Coastie buddy in Florida who was also a VN vet. His buddy, and our former Coastie Flt Doc when we were all stationed together,.......just passed yesterday from the virus.

Hopefully the vaccine(s) come online soon.

29-Nov-20
Just walked in the door about a hour ago from OK. My father in law died last Thursday (the one before thanksgiving). He was 76 had bad cases of heart failure. He spent about 10 days in ICU with COVID. Night before he died they had moved him out of ICU, seemed to be improving but his heart stopped. We did a normal funeral. Personally I think that is important to the family, and people in the pews is means something to the family. If he was an important person in your life unless you would be considered high risk I’d be there.

29-Nov-20
My Brother passed (Not from Covid) BUT Covid lockdown & rules in California where he lived prevent us (his 2 brothers & sister) from attending. Even his local family had restrictions on how may attended. It affects people in so many ways.

29-Nov-20
The worst to me was a friend who was in his early 30s and passed. Not from COVID but because he had an underlying heart condition and couldn’t get into the doctor for 1.5 months due to the backlog of patients due to COVID shutdowns. He had another cardiac episode and passed before he could make it into his appointment.

I’m still sick about this one. He was the son of Vietnamese immigrants who sacrificed everything for their kids. He was an up-and-comer at a subsidiary of Koch Industries and was achieving the American Dream that his parents envisioned for him. 4 months later and it’s still painful to type this one out. Breaks my heart to have him leave so soon. But for COVID, this probably wouldn’t have happened.

29-Nov-20
I lost a very good friend in September. We spent a lot of time together riding motorcycles all across the country. He was 66. Mild asthma but otherwise healthy. He battled Covid for 4 months 2 of which was in an induced coma. Even after testing negative for several months the damage to his lungs was just too much and he couldn’t maintain a sufficient blood oxygen level. No visitation at the hospitals. No funeral. One day he was there and then gone. I think about him every day. His passing is what made Covid 19 real to me.

29-Nov-20
Nope

29-Nov-20
No. No one close to me has died... yet. Inevitably is creeping up on us all. Vaccine or no vaccine, Americans will be sharing these stories for years to come.

Of the things this train wreck of 2020 has taught me, the most important may be: to Cherish those you love. Condolences for your losses.

30-Nov-20
Covid hasn't been good to my family. Lost my mother in April, my father in June (both at the same care facility). My brothers son in May (indirectly due to covid and the early economic impact , his depression skyrocketed and he checked himself out). Also my brothers daughter that had other health issues that contracting covid combined took her life. My uncle (dad's brother) was taken in July. We had minimal services for just the siblings for mom and dad that I attended and passed on the others for cautionary reasons. I am in the higher risk category and prefer to stick around awhile. This pandemic is very serious and when it touches you personally you understand the situation. It is too bad that for many it takes that before they decide to work together to fight this battle.

30-Nov-20
So sorry to read about all the passing's of so many BS members loved ones.

Prayers to you all,

Robb

30-Nov-20
I know a few coworkers and friends who've gotten it but all relatively mild symptoms. No hospitalizations or deaths.

How many here are doing their best to minimize their risk? Wearing masks and social distancing supposedly lowers your risk of catching or transmitting the virus but what are you doing to lower your risk of serious complications if you do catch it?

Are you a smoker? Are you overweight or obese? Do you eat like shit? Do you get lots of exercise? Do you get outside as much as possible?

We've had 10 months to improve our health and make ourselves a little more covid bulletproof. If you don't do it for yourself, do it for your loved ones. It's too bad our government hasn't put as much effort in promoting self health improvement as much as other mitigation efforts.

My sincere condolences to those who have lost loved ones to this horrible disease.

30-Nov-20

EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
EmbryOklahoma's embedded Photo
Yes... my 37 year old cousin from Lubbock, Texas. He was the boys High School basketball coach, going on his 4th season. He was taking his two beautiful little girls trick or treating (distancing involved) on Halloween. Two days later he started showing symptoms. His wife and him both got it.

Three days later he was admitted to the hospital with trouble breathing and other issues. His body went into breakdown from that point. He had acute liver/kidney failure and one week later had a heart attack as well while fighting organ failure. He died the next day.

He was a funny man, a great teacher/coach, husband, and mostly... a great father to his two little girls.

We had so much banter between all of us cousins over sports.... Tech/OU, Dallas/OKC. I’ll never be able to watch a Dallas Mavs, Texas Tech or Rangers game without thinking of my cousin, Matt Embry.

For the record... he was a bit overweight. That’s all I know. Still stunned by his loss.

30-Nov-20
So tough to read about all the losses to COVID. My sincere condolences to all who have lost loved ones to this disease.

It is a new virus to the human population. It does strange things and hits different people differently for sure.

30-Nov-20
Sorry for all of your friends and family passing from Covid. It’s terrible what so many are going through with this Virus.

Viruses are very hard to pin down. Some can live in the host for decades before showing symptoms. I don’t live in a bubble, but I try to be smart about it. Because you never know who you are spreading it to.

I lost my 86 yr old neighbor last week to complications of Alzheimer’s. A good friend yesterday to a long Cancer battle. A friends mother was on her daily walk and was hit and killed by a drunk a month ago. So Covid although very serious is a fraction of what people are dying from everyday. Keep it in context, so it doesn’t paralyze you with fear. Respect it, be careful, but keep it in context.

Remember what Yogi Bera said. “ Living is dangerous to your health”. Ok he didn’t say that I did.

30-Nov-20
My FIL is 81 and has bad fibrosis in his lungs. He needs oxygen to get up and go to the bathroom from his living room chair. I thought if he ever got it he'd be a goner quickly. Well, he got it in early October. I was hoping we would get the funeral done before my scheduled trip to IA. Well, he ended up in the hospital for 5 days, told the staff he wanted to die at home, so he went home. Well, we celebrated Thanksgiving with him and my MIL. He survived with little complication. A blessing for sure and answer to many prayers. So I haven't lost anyone to Covid that is close to me. My oldest boy and his newlywed bride just got over it. My condolences to any who have lost loved ones to it.

30-Nov-20
I’ve lost 2 friends. One was my pastor when I was a kid. He was 82 and healthy when Covid took him. The other was a friends wife. 75 and healthy. They both got it. He recovered, she didn’t.

My wife and I both got it - and it was more mild than the flu. Have also had. 95 yr old friend get it and recover and a preacher friend with serious health issues get it and recover as well.

This virus is very strange as to how it impacts individuals.

I went to both funerals - wouldn’t have missed them for anything. It’s a personal choice, but I figured with the death rate of this virus being so low, it was worth the risk. Glad I went.

30-Nov-20
This virus is such a dichotomy. It's a death sentence for some, and a nothing-burger for others. I think that's what makes it so frightening to many. It's like the Russian roulette of viruses.

I honestly didn't think there'd be this many Bowsiters who had suffered loses due to Covid. If anything, maybe this thread will serve as a wake up to some of the deniers, who still aren't taking precautions seriously.

Matt

30-Nov-20
On Thanksgiving Day a 50 year old friend of mine died from covid. He kept in good shape as he was and avid rifle hunter for sheep and goats. Spent three weeks on a respirator. The same day my late 70s uncle who is in poor health after two heart attacks and lifeling diabetes was sent home from the hospital after a week. No rhyme or reason to it.

30-Nov-20

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
My dad Tuesday night. Extremely healthy and active taping his own TV programs just 3 weeks ago. It was a very nasty death and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Watch a loved one die with it and it will change how you view it.

30-Nov-20
Matt,

Agree with your last paragraph. Robin lost a mid 60s female cousin. A friend’s husband just passed and another is fighting for his life.

As a community college teacher doing Zoom classes since March, I have had several students lose immediate family members.

Three weeks ago a female student broke down crying, she was to be tested later that day. She said she was frightened as she had multiple pre-existing conditions. She hasn’t been back or turned in any more work on line. It is tough!

30-Nov-20
Matt said "If anything, maybe this thread will serve as a wake up to some of the deniers, who still aren't taking precautions seriously."

I would not go to Milley Cirus concert with thousands of people and limit going to the stores. However I go where I need to. But I am not going to close down my business or not go any store when need. Other than locking yourself away from other most of the other precautions are joke. Our gay ass governor and his boyfriend both just came down with and he has been the world biggest pussy when it comes to precautions. He obsessed with mask - did not do him much good.

30-Nov-20
Wow...several touching reflections on loved ones lost. Please accept my condolences to all that have lost people to this virus. I too can't process how random this seems to be...one time an otherwise sick person or aged person gets it and survives and another time a relatively young and healthy person gets it and succumbs to it. Yikes...scary stuff.

30-Nov-20
I've known several people who have had it. One died, but he was a diabetic and did not know it. Lived alone and didn't eat or drink for 2-3 days and got so weak he couldn't answer the phone. Had he gotten care early he'd pry be here.

Now, there is a flip side to the story. My grandma is 94 and in assisted living. She was doing great. My mom and her sisters visited her often. She was active in the center and could more or less care for herself. Then COVID came and they locked the center down. No contact from family, no activities in the center, etc. Her mental capacity has regressed so much that she can't hang up the phone. So here we are "protecting" her from the virus but really killing her. She's been in what amounts to prison for the better part of a year.

30-Nov-20
John,

I'm not advocating "locking yourself away from others", nor do I feel business shutdowns are necessary. However, I do agree with limiting gatherings in confined indoor spaces, like restaurants, theaters, even churches.

I also believe it's well documented, medically, that masks and distancing serve to reduce the spread of the virus. I'm not sure how our mayor's sexual preference matters in this discussion. Did his so-called "obsession with masks" prevent him from getting Covid? Apparently not. But it's likely his mask wearing prevented him from spreading the virus to many others that he came in contact with, IMO.

I was in the checkout line at the grocery store a few days ago. The mask-less gentleman behind me had a nasty cough and a sniffling nose. He was standing too close for my comfort, and he wasn't making any effort to cover his mouth when he coughed. I politely asked him to back off a little. You'd think I had called his mother a whore based on his reaction. He, and people like him, are the folks I wish would wake up.

Matt

30-Nov-20
JohnMC......your governor and his boyfriend show that even wearing a mask does not ensure you don't get the virus. IMO....all the hoopla with the mask-wearing gives folks a false sense of protection....a feeling of invincibility if you will.

30-Nov-20
I know two friends who had it and both recovered without much problem. Both in their sixties. Don't know anyone who died from it.

30-Nov-20
What I don't understand is why people that talk against masks "because they don't work" cannot seem to grasp that because the people they elected to manage the country they choose to live in feel it is a necessary step to move the economy forward to recovery that wearing the mask is working to help the country get back on its feet. Consistently arguing and refusal to comply to feed a personal agenda or build an ego or whatever isn't going to work any better and only hinders the economy more. Wearing the mask also potentially slows down (even if it doesn't stop) the spreading process and helps relieve overcrowding on the health system giving them a chance to keep up. IMHO

30-Nov-20

JohnMC's Link
Take a look at what our gay ass governor and his cronies have done to this business. It is bullshit like this is why many are pushing back against anything the government suggest. I believe there is a fight in our country right now that is much bigger than COVID. COVID is being used as a weapon to see how many freedoms the government can take from us. Do what you think is in the best interest of you and your family when it comes to COVID but don't let the government dictate what you can or can not do.

30-Nov-20

30-Nov-20
I had it in Feb so did my wife and kids. Sore throat, stuffed up nose gone in two days. My Daughter works at the hospital where the fist case in the US was diagnosed. The assumption is she contracted it and gave it to us at a birthday party. I don’t know anyone else that has had it. We have kept two elderly relatives at home since Feb. they have not left the house. Their choice. I believe the masks have created a false sense a security especially with the elderly. They believe they are in good health. Age alone is a co morbidity with Covid. Let alone they are in denial about their over all health ie taking multiple prescriptions, high heart rate ,blood sugar elevated Etc. . The masks are catchers gloves for any organisms in the air. People go out with the mask and take it off in the car or at home. They just touched a giant filter possibly full of Covid particles. Then they touch their face out of habit because they have an inch or a hair in their eye Etc. All the data shows if you are under 65 on no prescriptions, normal blood sugar, weight ,heart rate Etc. This is a mild flu. Over 65 with additional co morbidity and you are playing the lottery if you leave home or let someone into your home.

30-Nov-20
" Do what you think is in the best interest of you and your family when it comes to COVID but don't let the government dictate what you can or can not do. " It is clearly obvious that you have not been personally impacted by covid and could have easily answered "NO" to the topic of this thread without going all political on it. I get it, you don't like your governor so vote him out but don't make everyone else suffer because of you personal feelings. Wear a mask in public for others safety and economic recovery, not to rebel against what you feel you are entitled. I will be wearing one for you should we ever meet.

30-Nov-20

JohnMC's Link
Here is a local example of how all these government officials don't even believe what they are requiring the citizens to do take a look at the hypocrite Mayor Hancock. If it was a case of they thought they were doing was saving lifes and in people's best interest they would be the first to do instead they do the opposite. Plenty of other examples. You got Pelosi, Gov. Newsom in CA, and Cuomo in NY all caught breaking their own orders. Don't be a sheep.

30-Nov-20
It is obvious chump you can't not read or you would have seen above you don't know what you are talking about. You should reread this thread before making any more uninformed comments. Never did I suggest anyone be reckless but don't be so foolish to let a much a politician get away with the major overreaches we are seeing. The power trips will not go away with COVID.

30-Nov-20
Deerhunter72 point taken. Comment deleted.

30-Nov-20
I had to look to make sure I was still on Bowsite. A few months ago, the vast majority of posts on a Covid thread were more like - get over it, it's not any worse than the flu, masks are for sissies and don't do any good, let it run it's course naturally until we get herd immunity, etc, etc.

Where are all those folks? Maybe it's finally sinking in?

Most likely, some that ARE taking ALL necessary precautions still get sick because there still are so many morons out there that don't take any, and we do have to go out occasionally, some more than others. And maybe if everyone had been doing the responsible thing right from the start, more businesses would be open with proper precautions in place, instead of shut down, and the economy, especially local and small businesses, would be doing much better. I never can understand how anyone can look at the economy and the virus as two separate issues. Mitigate the virus and you improve the economy.

It's hard to believe how short an attention span most people have in this country. I get so tired of the excuse; "I'm tired of this", and so act like it doesn't exist, and the media, and experts that say, I get that. I just don't get it. We're ALL tired of it. Grow up!

Heart felt condolences to all who have felt the full brunt of this virus. No sympathy what-so-ever to those who get it after traveling to a big Thanksgiving get together.

30-Nov-20
The intent of this thread was for people to share their experiences if they have lost family or friends to Covid. Debating about masks or other PPE is not going to be productive here because most people, even the "experts" don't agree on it. Let's stick to the topic of the thread.

30-Nov-20
Weirdest thing I've ever seen and I've worked ER since 2006. A lot of friends, family, and co-workers have gotten it and recovered. I wear a simple surgical mask when I take care of covid patients and haven't gotten it yet that I know of. Several physicians and practitioners I work with wear full PPE with N95 and gowns and they all got it. As stated above what makes it so scary is that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to who it kills. I do know that folks over 60 seem to do poorly with it and it's bad news if it gets in a nursing home.

30-Nov-20
I’ve not lost a loved one to Covid, but I did lose my whole Bow hunting season to it. Contracted it about Nov. 4, symptoms hit Nov. 9th, tested positive Nov 12th. All peak rut in Illinois. My season was over even after the 10 day quarantine because I was so short of breath I couldn’t climb a tree. Lost 18 pounds in ten days due to nausea. Checked in to an ER Nov. 18 with 02 levels in the 80’s. They pumped me up and was able to avoid admission. Barely enough breath to load truck and drive home. Took me 7 hours where normal would me one hour.

30-Nov-20
JohnMC, Do you know what laws are? They are rules designed by the government as a means to protect citizens of the country. You know, don't kill or abuse people. Don't speed, do drugs, steel, wear a seat belt, drink and drive, etc. These are all done to keep people safe. Examples of politicians not following their own guidelines is example of selfish agenda....that even they recognize after the fact. Your debate is weak at best. There is no reason to rebel against guidelines that are trying to help the economy and keep citizens safe. Elections are your freedom to change those with who you disagree. Part of the rules of an independent nation. Spouting disrespect and name calling on a public forum does nothing but show someones character. Have a nice day.

30-Nov-20
Chump - Don't speed, do drugs, stee(a)l, wear a seat belt, drink and drive, etc are laws past by the legislation, not on whim by a governor on power trip that uses pulling liquor licences that has nothing to do with COVID to close a business. If that your best it is weak debate at best.

30-Nov-20
It doesn't matter your age and really I don't consider taking a high BP med a pre existing condition.The mask is to help prevent someone that doesn't know they have it or doesn't care from spreading it.Businesses should be able to say wear a mask or stay out and the only funeral I would go to is a grave side out side which is what alot of the ones I have seen for last year are.If you do live what are the long term effects going to be?Weak lungs,bad heart?But I guess at least you didn't have to wear a mask and you didn't die if you were one of the lucky ones

30-Nov-20

Whitey's embedded Photo
Whitey's embedded Photo
Age does matter. 98% of the people that have died are over 60.

30-Nov-20
I'd like to ask the folks who want to turn this into a political debate to kindly take their comments elsewhere. I'll gladly join in on that debate, but not here. This thread is for and about people who have lost loved ones to Covid, and perhaps to open the eyes of a few deniers.

Thank you,

Matt

30-Nov-20
60 isn't old considering the average lifespan now,I have seen several people younger than 60 in hospital and as mentioned surviving doesn't always mean getting well.

30-Nov-20
Matt is that kind of like when you turn Pat's thread about his KS hunt into thread about baiting with corn?

30-Nov-20
It's your thread Matt. My apologies. It's just that even if you don't know someone who has died, we all have been very significantly effected, and more so because too many folks have, and still, deny reality. If that's political, more's the pity.

30-Nov-20
Ziek,

Apologies accepted, thank you.

The last thing I wanted this thread to turn into was a discussion about Colorado's "gay ass" governor, or other similar nonsense. I thought it might be helpful for people to commiserate with others who have lost loved ones to Covid, including myself.

Thanks, again,

Matt

30-Nov-20
I worked with a man for thirty-five years. he was the healthiest guy Ive ever known. In all that time I don't hardly remember him being sick or going to a doctor. His wife is a bad diabetic and goes to kidney dialysis twice a week. They both got it mid October. We all figured she would be dead in two weeks and he would recover. Well it basically did nothing to her and we just buried him last Wednesday. The biggest takeaway for me is that you don't know how it will affect you till its to late. Another healthy man in his fifties just died Sunday. He was a hard core right wing guy. Told anyone who would listen that it was all bullshit and a hoax. RIP

30-Nov-20
My condolences Matt and to all others who've lost people to the virus.

30-Nov-20
A friend who was the son of a good friend, younger than me and apparently healthy otherwise died about a month ago. My best friend and his wife have it now. We went fishing about two weeks ago and thankfully we chose a lake between where we each live so we didn’t ride together. He probably wasn’t able to transmit at the time, possibly didn’t even have it at the time, I don’t know. That’s the worst part of this crap, a lot isn’t known.

30-Nov-20
Like so many other have said, very sincere condolences to everyone affected by this virus.

My wife, a OB RN is now delivering babies with moms that have Covid. It’s nerve wracking thinking about her possible exposure. We talked about this in great length and she said inevitably she would have to deal with it. Something I’m still not prepared to accept but I know she is doing all she can to protect her and us.

This is so very real. Stay safe all, and again, sorry for any loss of life from this virus.

01-Dec-20
drycreek, Since contracting the virus I’ve been watching lots of medical videos and reading articles. So you know, incubation period is approx 5 days prior to first symptoms, during which time the patient is very contagious. Approx. 44% of virus transfer takes place during that time. The balance in the subsequent 8-9 days.

01-Dec-20
Condolences to all those who have lost someone!

My 80 y/o mother is recovering from it now. Looks like the worst is behind her. Fortunately she never had respiratory issues or needed to be hospitalized, but she has had it for over a month. Just started feeling better last week, but far from "back to normal"............... We had our first Thanksgiving at home with just my wife and kids EVER(25+ years) this year. Will probably do the same for Christmas. We are not particularly worried about getting it ourselves, but with elderly parents who all have health issues, we will do what we can to protect them. I was never big on "technology", but thankfully we at least can FACETIME our relatives if we cannot be there.

01-Dec-20
I might have had it early on while it was still unknown by everyone but China, last mid-December. I had something like a mild cold that lasted two or three days. Slight fever that broke after one day, itchy throat, slight cough. This was when we went to NYC. Then on the third day I had whatever it was, my wife got sick, with the same symptoms, only much worse, to the point where she was barely able to go outside, and it lasted 6 weeks. She said she never felt so sick and weak, deep cough, fever, intestinal issues, etc. She was tired alot after that period. Its lasted to the end of Jan. and thats about when COVID was taking ahold here, but was thought to have been in NYC as early as Nov or Dec. We never had the antibody test so we dont know if we had it. I feel for those that do and lost loved ones, my prayers go out to you. My uncle passed away in a nursing home from natural causes at 96 yrs old last Jan., luckily we could be there with him. My aunt, his sister, is still in there, and we can't go see her. She must be scared to death, has dementia, and is all alone. Thats almost worse than death.

01-Dec-20
I had it second week of July. Over it on day 4. Had a little intermittent coughing a day or so after but not much. Sorry for the loved ones lost, but I am completely over hearing about the damn covid myself.

01-Dec-20
yes. a friend of the family died of an easily treatable condition had she been allowed to seek medical treatment in a timely manner. she wasn't and she lost her life.

01-Dec-20
My grandmother died from Covid this past Spring. She was in a hard hit assisted living facility.

01-Dec-20
lost a friend from high school football team, just saw his obituary this a.m.

52 years old.

oz

02-Dec-20
Like so many other have said, very sincere condolences to everyone affected by this virus.

My wife, a OB RN is now delivering babies with moms that have Covid. It’s nerve wracking thinking about her possible exposure. We talked about this in great length and she said inevitably she would have to deal with it. Something I’m still not prepared to accept but I know she is doing all she can to protect her and us.

This is so very real. Stay safe all, and again, sorry for any loss of life from this virus.

02-Dec-20
I lost my grandpa to Covid this summer. I miss him. For about the last 10 years myself and a few of my uncles (his sons) would visit him every Thursday night and play cards with him. That ended with the pandemic and I feel bad that the last few months of his life were spent alone. Another family member, in good health, is finally recovering after a nasty bout with it. He should have been low risk and it knocked him down pretty bad. That was my big eye-opener. I'm taking it seriously.

02-Dec-20
I've read a few credible studies that suggested blood type has a correlation to how severe Covid affects people. Type O being the least severe, Type A being the most severe.

It would be interesting to take a poll of our small community, here, to see if the results are similar.

Matt

02-Dec-20
Matt, I read something about that early on and the article dismissed the theory, but I work in healthcare and it's now being discussed as something very real. I can attest to it somewhat. I have O negative and so do my wife and kids. When I had Covid the only real symptom I had besides sinus stuff was loss of smell, which is typical for me, and loss of taste. Never had a fever, cough, SOB etc. I did not quarantine from my wife and kids and none of them came down with it. BTW, I tested negative when it started, which is why I didn't quarantine from my family. I really didn't think I had it, but 2 weeks later I had antibodies in my system which confirmed that I did. So, maybe the O blood made my case barely noticeable and kept my family from getting it??

02-Dec-20
Just found out that one of my hunting buddies is sick. He’s in great shape does triathlons etc. hoping all will be well, but I was told to “keep him and his family in our thoughts and prayers” so I’m concerned as to severity.

02-Dec-20
Sorry for everyones loss, just terrible, wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I've talked to a number of folks with it, same as described - no symptoms to worst flu I ever had.

One thing I will say is I have elderly family members & in laws that are living in complete fear and scared beyond belief. My neighbor wears a mask constantly, at home, and while outside. I get it - no one wants it or to die from it. That said, while I will comply with whatever the protective prescribed request is, living in complete fear is a tough way to live.

02-Dec-20
deerhunter72,

About 4 weeks ago I came down with a scratchy throat and dry cough. I thought for sure it was Covid. I never had a fever, or even felt sick. The symptoms were gone in 2 days, except for a minor cough that lingered for a few weeks. I never got tested, so I don't know if it was just a common cold, or Covid. My wife never got it. I do have Type O blood, so maybe there is something to the blood type theory.

Matt

02-Dec-20
An elderly gentleman of 92years of age that I knew most of my 60 years was listed as a C-19 statistic. He was feeling ill, got checked, came in positive. Was admitted to the hospital for two days and was feeling fine, so the docs kicked him loose and sent him home to quarantine. A few days later he slipped and fell on the ice, banged his head and knocked him cold. They rushed him into the ER where he died of a brain bleed a day later. They wrote it up as a Covid death in the local paper. Needless to say his family is P-O'd about. Threatened to sue whomever wrote that up from what I hear. Haven't heard of any resolution on that so far.

Son and his wife had it. Cold/flu feeling and loss of taste and smell for a couple of days. Stayed at home and got better. I know of a couple of others that have had it, but it has been pretty mild. Had a few pass away in the retirement home, but they had pre existing conditions.

Bad stuff for some. Stay safe out there.

02-Dec-20
I’m very sorry for everyone loss!

I have not lost anyone to COVID, my youngest daughter passed away 7 years ago a month shy of her 16th birthday. Allergic reaction, she was admitted for anaphylactic shock. Received a number of doses of epinephrine. For those that don’t know, large doses compromise the ability to fight of infection/viruses. She “picked up” the cold sore virus. It in turn attacked her internal organs. She was in Children’s Mercy for 11 days hoping to receive a liver transplant. It did not come and we were told afterwards that she very well would not have survived if it had. They informed us that what had happened was very rare. LET ME BE CLEAR... 99.99% chance of survival? When you or one of your loved ones fall victim as a .01%... the impacts are devastating!!!

Thought and prayer for all who will have to find their way to survive and cope with the loss and grief this virus has placed upon you and your families!

And to be clear.. these type situation a person does not “get over it”. The unfortunate are left to find a way to cope and continue.

That is why obituaries refer to the grieving loved “left behind” as SURVIVORS!

2 years and 4 months sober.. I can now say I am surviving...

02-Dec-20
Heartbreaking Sand man. Very sorry for you losing a daughter. Has to be tough. You’re obviously a strong person.

Congrats on the sobriety. Keep climbing.

02-Dec-20
Matt,

It would be interesting to know if you have antibodies. Your doctor might be able to order that blood test or you can get it free with a donation to the Red Cross.

Sand man,

That is heart wrenching. Thanks for sharing and congrats on your sobriety.

02-Dec-20
My daughter is a therapist for Mayo clinic in Rochester but not in the actual Mayo building. So far so good. She gets tested every week to be sure. I think every employee at Mayo gets tested at least once a week.

05-Dec-20
Blood type does not matter .. and no I haven’t lost any family members to Covid .. had a uncle die while he had Covid but not from the Covid .. he had battled blood sugar problems many many yrs that’s what took him out

05-Dec-20
"Blood type does not matter "

What medical background or information do you have to make that statement?

Matt

05-Dec-20
While this is a horrible topic I hope there are many more out there on different forums addressing the same thing. I am a director of Medical Case Management and Social Work at a small hospital in Kansas, I have had the virus as well as my immediate family and my mother and father we were lucky. Body aches, temp headache, anxiety were our worse symptoms. Currently I am dealing with this everyday and my + taught me a lot. First mask work if they didn't hospitals would not be functioning because we would not have any staff. At this point we are having contact with COVID + individuals on a daily basis either known or unknown. Second people are dying who otherwise would not be, yes the overall state of unhealthiness in USA is a underlying problem and COVID is showing us that.

Is hard as it is please share your stories, wear your mask and think about your neighbor, help is hopeful on the way soon with vac but who knows. Just remember some of us don't have a choice to question the validity of these pandemic we live it everyday. Stay healthy and take care of neighbor, and remember the best place to isolate is always in a tree!!

06-Dec-20
Grey ghost,

I had it in September with nearly identical symptoms to yours, although I did run a fever for a few hours. The earliest test I could get was the next morning (9/22) and by the time I received the results on the 24th I felt normal other than that same occasional dry cough.

By the way, I’m O positive.

Deerhunter72, there is a Red Cross facility across the street from my office so I’ll schedule a donation and also see if they’ll do the antibody test.

06-Dec-20

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo
I lost one good friend/hunting camp buddy to Covid. He got sick in mid April, about 2 weeks after I spoke to him last. He was fit man in his 50's who owned a business and "got it done". He was sick for about two weeks, and it wasn't getting any better so he finally went to the hospital where they put him on a ventilator. After a few days he began to improve a bit but then his liver started to fail (they found that he had a liver enzyme issue) and then his kidneys, which is what killed him.

My own take on this was that back then, they didn't have the tactics to fight this like they do now, and knowing Dave like I did, he figured he "tough it out". I really miss him .

His last deer.......

06-Dec-20
That sucks WW had he gotten the virus later he probably would have had better chance. We have learned so much, mainly keep them vent as long as possible and run high flow. So sorry for your loss, my best friend and hunting buddy also had it but had minimal symptoms I have been extremely lucky, don't know how much desire I would have if I lost someone that close to me! Thoughts and prayers for you and his family.

06-Dec-20
Thanks KS

06-Dec-20
My twin brother died last June from a cardiac arrest at 51. He was mentally disabled. He wasn't feeling good in the morning, tired and severe shortness of breath. My parents scheduled a covid test for him, but the clinic wouldn't see him right away and they had to schedule an appt. at 7:30 that evening. When my parents went to pick him up for the appt., (he didn't drive), they found him collapsed on the apartment floor lobby as he was coming down to the parking lot. Long story short, they, first responders, and the hospital were unable to revive him. He tested negative. Oddly enough a relief for the workers sake.

He did all the masking, and lockdown stuff. But he also sat on his butt for the entire time where he normally would have had some physical activity. The clinics were severely limiting who they were seeing with their scheduling. So did he die from covid? No. But as far as I'm concerned he did die from all the hysteria surrounding it.

10-Dec-20

Matt's Link
I read this piece tonight and thought it might be of interest to anyone who who would like to know the perspective of frontline healthcare workers dealing with COVID patients.

10-Dec-20
At lease the health care workers still have jobs or didn't have their business destroyed.

One of my daughters is in health care. She has done everything from running an ICU to hospice. There were sad stories before covid and there will be more after. It's the part of the job that sucks the most but part of her chosen career path. It's not for everyone.

• Sitka Gear