WYelkhunter 02-Dec-20
t-roy 02-Dec-20
Dakota 02-Dec-20
BOWUNTR 02-Dec-20
StickFlicker 03-Dec-20
Charlie Rehor 03-Dec-20
kota-man 03-Dec-20
01-Dec-20
I think most of us would agree that when you think of a hunter that has taken far more than his share of big velvet mule deer (and several other people's shares as well!), Randy Ulmer would be high on that list. Is there a bowhunter that is very well known for taking trophy whitetails in velvet on a consistent basis? I know that there are probably many states that don't offer much in the way of velvet hunting for whitetail deer, but there has to be someone that has made them somewhat of a specialty? I'm looking for someone with name recognition among whitetail hunters and ideally someone that enters their trophies to Pope and Young.

01-Dec-20
I can’t think of a single person that fits your criteria, Marvin. Like you stated, the number of states is somewhat limited as to where they can be hunted in that timeframe. There are certainly several higher profile whitetail hunters that have killed velvet whiteys, but none that I can name that make doing so, their specialty. I’ve never killed one in velvet, as our season doesn’t start until October, but IMO, if one can hunt them during that period, you would have excellent odds at getting a crack at a good one, as they are highly patternable in August into early September.

02-Dec-20
I don't know anyone who fits that mold. I shot one velvet buck here in KY and wouldn't shoot another one unless he was really big. I wanted to kill a velvet buck but after doing so I realized I much prefer hard antlers.

02-Dec-20
Agree with above. Most Whitetail archery seasons start after velvet is shed. Exceptions would be Kentucky and North Dakota.

Only a tiny % of whitetail hunters archery hunt whitetails in velvet where most of mule deer states in the west open when deer are in velvet.

02-Dec-20
If there is he is probably a guy in Bow Zone around Edmonton

02-Dec-20
I've shot two whitetails in velvet, one in Alberta which was officially scored at 154 and change and another which was about 120" here in NJ.

02-Dec-20
I know a guy that would fit the bill except he doesn't want public recognition. Hunts the other great Alberta bowzone, 212.

02-Dec-20
Most whitetail guys I know despise velvet. That is more of a western US convention due to season timing.

02-Dec-20
Don't know why, but velvet whitetails don't trip my trigger. I desperately want to kill a velvet muley, though!

02-Dec-20
Our great state of Tennessee implemented a 3 day velvet buck season a couple of years ago.It’s kinda interesting in that you can pattern the big boys in the food plots.This year weather was horrible and I screwed up because of water bottle the last evening .That is about all I know about it good luck Lewis

02-Dec-20
why would they despise velvet?

02-Dec-20
I’m not a huge fan of velvet, myself. I killed a nice mulie, a couple of caribou, and a 300” elk, that were all in velvet. I left the velvet on the mulie, but stripped it on everything else. I DO want to shoot a big, rutted up, mulie buck, though!

02-Dec-20

Dakota's embedded Photo
Dakota's embedded Photo
South Dakota archery deer season starts September 1 on private land now so it could be a possibility there.Here is a mule deer we were able to get this year.

02-Dec-20
Zack Walton fits most of your criteria... Ed F

03-Dec-20
Ed, Zack said he's only taken one in velvet. He HAS taken all five deer species in velvet however, which is probably a pretty rare accomplishment!

03-Dec-20
Stick: In most of North America archery hunting whitetails in velvet is the equivalent of Arizona or Montana bow hunters hunting elk in velvet. You are looking for the equivalent of an Arizona/Montana elk hunter that specializes in velvet elk. Archery seasons just don’t line up so its a very small number.

03-Dec-20
I’ve been hunting a “velvet state” for the better part of my lifetime. I’ve killed over 100 whitetails and Zack has killed the same number of velvet whitetails in one hunt that I have in my 40 some years of hunting them: 1. First off, we have a short window to kill one here in Velvet. Usually only a few days from when season opens until they are hard horn. Secondly, most of the Western seasons are in full swing during velvet time, so many of us are off chasing other species during velvet time. And lastly, most guys just don’t seem to get excited about killing multiple velvet whitetails (though it seems everyone wants at least one).

Maybe this specialty Whitetail Hunter exists but I would guess you might find as many guys that specialize in velvet unicorn kills as do in velvet whitetails. I guess it would surprise me if you find anyone with but a handful of P&Y caliber bucks in velvet. I’d love to see if anyone actually fits your criteria...Unique for sure...

And yes, Zack’s accomplishment of taking all five species in velvet is a special feat that not many will replicate.

• Sitka Gear