Jeff Holchin 04-Dec-20
BOWNBIRDHNTR 04-Dec-20
Ov-450 04-Dec-20
W8N4RUT 04-Dec-20
t-roy 05-Dec-20
Novembermadman 29-Dec-20
02-Dec-20

Bowboy's Link
This is a great video of a monster buck. This hunter passed him up in 2019 and he was over 200" then. I'm not sure many hunters wouldn't pass a buck like this. Also this deer was only 4yrs old. The Hunter just got over Covid.

02-Dec-20
Crazy huge! Hard to believe there are whitetail bucks that big anywhere! And only 4 years old???!!!

02-Dec-20
Impressive in many aspects

02-Dec-20
Good for him! He's a good bow hunter and has been for a very long time. I met Gene Wensel as a teenager in eastern Montana and he used to give me piles of photos from around the country and I built photo albums compiling other's success as I didn't have much personal success built up yet. I have teenager photos of Don Higgins with nice Illinois bucks that he was sharing with Gene on his "Classic Whitetails" tour.

02-Dec-20
I think Don was actually on Bowsite many years ago. And before QDMA shafted their forum, he was a regular poster there as well.

The guy knows his whitetails. . . .

02-Dec-20
I watched that video a couple of nights ago. Great stuff. Anytime he writes an article in a outdoor publication it is the first thing I read.

02-Dec-20
WOW! Amazing animal and clearly a heck of a process by the hunter, and career for him to get there. Hope he keeps healing well and has years of amazing hunting to come!

02-Dec-20
Awesome deer, and great story. I think I liked the respect the cameraman showed for Don the most.

Few of us will ever have the opportunity and resources to grow a buck like that on our own property, much less have the restraint to pass on him at 3-1/2 years old with a 200" rack. It does beg the question, in my mind, what that buck may have looked like as a 5-1/2 year old.

I could also relate to the mixed emotions of killing an animal that you've invested so much time, energy, and anticipation in. I think I'd like Don, if I ever had the opportunity to meet him in person.

Matt

02-Dec-20
I enjoyed the video. Anybody else wish he would have let it grow another year? I know, easier said than done, but that thing could have been something world class...or it could have been hit by a car.

02-Dec-20
On his podcast, he said one big factor to trying to kill him this year was that the buck was a big roamer and spent a lot of time off his property.

02-Dec-20
What kind of bark camo did he wear, really concealing.

02-Dec-20
rattle33 I think it's called Vengeance Camo.

02-Dec-20
Excellent video. Stand up guy with a ton of discipline and determination.

02-Dec-20
Great story. Thanks for posting.

02-Dec-20
Don is a superb deer hunter and really knows his stuff about habitat and food plots. I thought this latest video was outstanding, one of the best I’ve seen. Another video I really like is a recent one where he points out these “habitat experts” on YouTube with all their nonstop projects. He made a solid point about how all that stuff just pushes the mature bucks off the property. He was spot on. I really admire him and listen to his advice.

He was a regular here way back in the late 90’s and I remember he had a big following on the Illinois forum. He ruffled some feathers with his no-BS approach but he was definitely someone to listen to.

02-Dec-20
Don is a really great person

02-Dec-20
AWESOME STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02-Dec-20
the deer was great the hunter is world class

02-Dec-20
Don definitely spent time on the Illinois forum years ago. Most liked him and some couldn't handle his strong opinions. Cool buck and video.

02-Dec-20
Wow, you can tell he is in a different league! Great buck, like to see guys like him who actually earn it.

Thanks for sharing.

02-Dec-20

Scrappy's Link
Don needs to learn to count cause according to him in the above video he say its his second 200 and the video from 2017 he says that its his second 200. Wish I had killed so many I couldn't remember how many.

02-Dec-20
Said there wasn't much change in antler size year 3-4 so I think that was a factor?

02-Dec-20
Great humble man who has “IT” figured out. And I’m not talking about deer hunting.

Thanks for posting.

02-Dec-20
WOW magnificent animal, many CONGRATS to hunter...

02-Dec-20
I’m amazed he pegged it for a yearling as a 5x5. I just never would have. But I also know nothing in comparison. Congrats to him. Well done

02-Dec-20
Very well done and a great buck!

02-Dec-20
I do remember him actively posting on the Illinois forum years ago. Extremely impressive all the way around.

02-Dec-20
Great buck! Congratulations to Mr Higgins.

03-Dec-20
Impressed!!! Seems like a great man!

03-Dec-20
Scrappy- he said it was his 2nd in 4 years from his own property. His first 200 was shot on someone else’s property several years ago.

03-Dec-20
I watched this last night. Excellent video and great buck. As It was playing my wife and daughter was in the room. A lot of the video was Don talking about the history of this buck. My wife finally blurts out, "my gosh...how long is this guy going to talk about this deer?". My daughter said..."just think how bad it would be if it was dad on that video."

03-Dec-20
great story and deer..greater person. congrats Mr. Higgins.

03-Dec-20
Scrappy- he said it was his 2nd in 4 years from his own property. His first 200 was shot on someone else’s property several years ago.

Thanks for that info oneBooner.

03-Dec-20
Well done video and amazing deer! Anyone know how many acres he owns? Huge bucks walking all over the place...wow!

Hard to fathom even seeing bucks of that caliber on a regular basis. He has definitely created a giant whitetail buck factory! You need to step up your game, Pat!

03-Dec-20
That was a great video. Great deer and even better man from the looks of it. Super happy to see a guy like that have success. Thanks for sharing.

03-Dec-20
I googled and it he stated he owns 120 acres.

03-Dec-20
He must have some VERY like-minded neighbors!

03-Dec-20
He should be glad I am not his neighbor. I'd shoot a 160 even if it had milk on its mouth. :)

03-Dec-20
I don't shoot nearly the quality of bucks Don shoots but I can kind of relate to the feeling of knowing you will never see that buck again. All the hours consumed hunting down a buck does leave an emptiness once he's gone. I hunt mainly for meat but do love the chess match with older bucks and almost hate to see it end sometimes.

03-Dec-20
Bowfreak- once you have shot a few 160’s and you know there are bigger bucks around it’s much easier to pass them up.

03-Dec-20
Excellent video and seems like a guy you would love to have in camp.

I am with bowfreak...I shot my biggest buck this year ~165 and I am pretty sure he was 3.5.

03-Dec-20
Tremendous deer and video. Class act. Enjoyed that

03-Dec-20
I'm with Bowfreak, I'm shooting him when he's 160 and I would wipe the milk off before I take any pictures. What a buck!

03-Dec-20
Awesome video, gentleman, and hunter. Someone I can really completely and totally relate to. He is a bit older than me, and shoots way bigger bucks, but it's all relative to where you live and hunt. The quote he made that hits home is how you feel after taking a buck you have history with - being bittersweet. You can't check cameras and ever see him on it again. That is what I can relate to the most. Clearly he has the right genetics, land, age structure and nutrition to grow and hold bucks in the 200" class. What's even more amazing is that this buck - was already over 200" at age 3, and 160 class at age 2... Doubt I will ever see that in NJ but it does happen elsewhere.

03-Dec-20
Don has killed 3 200" deer, his first gave him some issues due to jealous hunters. I have read his stuff for around 20 years. He knows his stuff, as Pat said his hunting the perimeter of a property and pushing deer in deeper rather than away is spot on. Pick a sanctuary for your deer and stay out of it at all costs. Great stuff! Shawn

03-Dec-20
120 acres was all the land he needed to grow big bucks until he started posting them online. Next year he will have a millionaire sitting on the fence on all four sides of his property.

03-Dec-20
Awesome video well done all around! Congrats to Mr. Higgins he lives a well balanced life!

03-Dec-20
He does have a chance, after advertising to have a crossbow in a box blind on all four sides, all bow season long

03-Dec-20
Absolutely incredible! Thank you for sharing.

04-Dec-20
I remember when Don was here on Bowsite many years ago, and he did ruffle some feathers. He has strong opinions and isn’t afraid to express them. Good man.

Last year at this time he was selling his two books at a holiday discount, and I bought them. Very good books. I just saw where he is offering that holiday discount again. You can find his web site and order those books for yourself.

04-Dec-20
Nothing but respect for Don after watching that video. Thanks for posting it.

04-Dec-20
Would the meat still be good after 6 hours laying there without being field dressed

04-Dec-20
Fantastic video. Thanks for sharing.

Scott

04-Dec-20
I own 120 acres and am lucky to have a 160 plus visit occasionally. He knows a lot more than I do! Just amazing really, and I agree with others that I would not have passed him at three. Don is on a much higher level.

05-Dec-20
Spoke with Don a couple of times at the Deer Classic. He’s definitely got things dialed in. Letting a really good younger age class bucks walk to possibly reach their full potential (antlerwise) can really pay dividends, for sure.

29-Dec-20
Awesome video.....I don't think it could have happened to a more deserving person! Thanks for sharing...

• Sitka Gear