Aspen Ghost 09-Dec-20
kadbow 09-Dec-20
walking buffalo 10-Dec-20
greenmountain 10-Dec-20
Zim 10-Dec-20
greenmountain 10-Dec-20
Pop-r 10-Dec-20
07-Dec-20
As I am getting older I find a need to keep getting invited to hunt. Yesterday afternoon I had a thought. I have access to a farm. The owners life out of state. This year the owner's sons took up shooting . Now there is a little range set up behind the barn. As I was on my way into the woods the oldest son was burning brush and the thought hit me. I have a couple older bows gathering dust. I suggested that we get one set up for him and possibly we could hunt together next fall. He was all for it. His brother is a bit smaller but I am betting I can set him up too. I can't think of a better way to gain access than hunt with the owners family. Next year looks like it will be far better than this year.

07-Dec-20
You’re thinking ahead

07-Dec-20
Good plan, I hope it works out for you.

07-Dec-20
I did something very similar a few years ago. Worked out great until the owner died and his son took over, figured out people would pay big money to hunt there. I chose to not pay the big $$ after cowboying on the ranch for 24 years, being promised by the son in March that he would NEVER charge me to hunt because of all my help and friendship. Hopefully your situation will work out better!

08-Dec-20
It’s amazing when we intend to do for others (getting the boys into bow hunting) how it comes back to us.

I’m willing to bet you helping them will provide memories not only for them but you as well. THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!!!!

Much admiration!!!!

08-Dec-20
Worked for Rip. Good luck

09-Dec-20
LOL!!!

09-Dec-20
I don't know if that's a good plan. Get the son into hunting and he may end up deciding the place isn't really big enough for two hunters. Or he may start worrying you'll get the big buck he's after. Always remember that no good deed goes unpunished.

09-Dec-20
Great plan and a great way to show some gratitude.

10-Dec-20
"I don't know if that's a good plan. Get the son into hunting and he may end up deciding the place isn't really big enough for two hunters. Or he may start worrying you'll get the big buck he's after. Always remember that no good deed goes unpunished."

Sure, those things could happen.

So what. I'd rather teach others to enjoy hunting even if it costs me something. Consider it taking one for the team, the price we pay to keep hunting a strong part of the culture.

10-Dec-20
I have thought about this a lot. Until my grandchildren are big enough to hunt I have time to work with young men and women. Even if he plans to have the farm to himself I win. There will be some time spent teaching and enjoying company. I may get lucky. A buddy and I took our mentor on his last hunt some years ago. We took him about 400 yards into the woods. My partner built a fire and I took a swing through the bedding areas with the intent of spooking a deer by him. We didn't get a deer but we drank coffee and toasted sandwiches by the fire. We were home by noon . Some would say I squandered valuable hunting but most in my age class know better. I caught myself smiling as I wrote about that hunt.

10-Dec-20

Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Zim's embedded Photo
Here's my "plan". I stick to public. Primarily because my job travels cover a six state Midwest area, including Illinois, where I have a LL. So I concentrate on access in a different way. I don't have to worry about landowners and them staying alive. Just spend time studying aerial diagrams for spots locked up by water. Then scout them in person while traveling for work. It's a formula that is working out well for me.

10-Dec-20
Thwacked1992: I want to keep hunting as mainstream and sociably acceptable as I can. You can't do that closing out new hunters. I shared two properties with two other hunters this year . We even shared scouting pictures. We never saw each other as we had agreed on parts of the woods we would hunt. Sometimes we need to look at the big picture. You can never have too many friends who care about the woods and wildlife. Regards, Bob

10-Dec-20
Jaq people suck! Sometimes they need to be shown a lil southern hospitality and education.

• Sitka Gear