esean 12-Dec-20
Twinetickler 12-Dec-20
jstephens61 12-Dec-20
Hoot 13-Dec-20
caribou77 14-Dec-20
Dave B 14-Dec-20
DonVathome 15-Dec-20
09-Dec-20
So for those of you that hunt elk every year what are some of your favorite boots. Looking to upgrade as I am hunting out west more now the my points have accumulated.

Thanks, Jason

09-Dec-20
Lots of good boots out there. Lots of different feet that only like one boot.

With that said my feet like crispy summits. This year was my 4th year on this pair of boots.

09-Dec-20
I would strongly suggest Salomon 4D 3 GTX boots.

09-Dec-20
1995. First time in the Breaks. Wore low boots with cloth sides, not leather.

Lots of prickly pear. Never wore fabric sided boots there again.

09-Dec-20
I’ve tried probably a dozen different brands/ models through the years looking for “the boot”. I’ve been wearing Lowa Renegades for 4 years now and my search is over. As was previously posted, what’s “best” for me may or may not be best for you.

10-Dec-20
My feet prefer Meindl.

10-Dec-20
X2 for Lowa Renegade GTX

10-Dec-20

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Lots of threads on boots on the Bowsite. See my link.

My favorite elk hunting boots are Lowa Camino's and Hanwag Alaska's. I like Lowa Renegades but they're too lightweight and not enough support for elk hunting for me personally.

10-Dec-20

Cheesehead Mike's Link
Here's another thread on boots.

10-Dec-20
I’ve tried several. I prefer the Crispi Colorado GTX.

10-Dec-20
I have around 8 sets of the top boots, if you have a narrow foot like I do you'll love the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme model. It's my # 1 choice for mild or extreme rugged conditions with or without heavy loads especially when going downhill or side-hilling. I'm on my 3rd set! My .02

ElkNut

10-Dec-20
Make sure they are comfortable and broke in. The first year I ever went I had Rocky bearpaws or something like that, cheap anyway. Wow, talk about blisters and making for an uncomfortable hunt!!!. I then bought a pair of Rocky hunters(?) that I liked with 600 grams of thinsulate. I thought they may be hot for a bowhunt out there, but they weren't, and they provided comfort and padding required for that type of hunting. Not one blister for years after I purchased those.

10-Dec-20
Favorite elk boots are Lowa renegade and Asolo 520 or 535. The 520/535 have a little more support than the renegade and last one more season but damn those renegades are comfy. I have a pair of Lowa tibets I bought for a couple goat hunts and they are awesome but I personally couldn't put the miles on like I do in my lighter boots. Guess it all depends how much support you need/want.

10-Dec-20
I've done well with Meindls but now really like Oboz, great for my high arches and they keep me dry.

10-Dec-20
As LKH alluded, all leather upper is a must in my opinion. I have tried a lot of boots, Vasque is one of my favorites. Switched to Crispi this year Guide GTX and love them! Wore a pair of Asolo for 4 years before I gave them to my son. They were still in great shape, way to stiff for me. My son has had them for over 5 years and is getting them resoled. There are a lot of great boots available, fine what fits your foot.

10-Dec-20
Crispi

10-Dec-20
Thanks everyone for all the input. I feel like I have some direction to look in now.

Jason

10-Dec-20

Scooter's embedded Photo
Scooter's embedded Photo
Russell Moccasin....I’ve had them on several elk hunts, fit right from day one, comfortable..

10-Dec-20
I’ve been through a lot of boots. You have to figure out what works best for you. Have had and loved Miendl, Lowa, Kenetreck, and Oboz...

12-Dec-20
Another Miendl fan here. They have a great deal going on right now for their ultralights as well. I own the Vakkum hunters and now the ultralight 800. I had a very hard time fitting my feet and as soon as I put these on... I had to own them. They do run about a 1/2 size big.

12-Dec-20

caribou77's embedded Photo
caribou77's embedded Photo

12-Dec-20
Trying Crispis right now... the Crossovers so far are great... a lot more boot than I originally thought which is good!

12-Dec-20
Kennetrek Mountain Extremes

12-Dec-20
Kennetrek Mountain Extremes

12-Dec-20
The best boot is the one that best fits YOUR foot. What anybody else wears is irrelevant. This year I went with an ultralight, mid-height trail running shoe. Even on rugged terrain with a heavy pack, my feet were in heaven. There was no need to take them off to relax in camp at the end of the day either.

12-Dec-20
My vote go to Salomon 4d 3 GTX as well.

12-Dec-20
Like my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. Fit my narrow feet the best.

13-Dec-20
I like to hunt in trail running shoes/mid hikers, I have used altra lone peaks for the last couple years. I keep a pair of lowa Tibets in the truck for extreme weather and for pack outs. I think this year I may try a lightweight pair of crispis or similar, depends on fit I guess.

14-Dec-20

14-Dec-20
I have wide feet. I went with crispi guides uninsulated. The toe box is roomy too. Tough to break in but worked great once they got there.

15-Dec-20
I wear hiking shoes for 90% of my elk hunts. 100% of archery elk hunts. I have done some deep backpack hunts in them for sheep, goat you name it. You do not need boots. They are cheap, comfy, light and work great. On rare occasion I ad light weight gators - but not often. I can walk them dry pretty quick.

• Sitka Gear