Cornpone 10-Dec-20
BIGERN 10-Dec-20
Kodiak 10-Dec-20
BIGERN 10-Dec-20
Grey Ghost 11-Dec-20
09-Dec-20

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Both these are mature does from near Lewistown, MT. The WT had twins, the muley was a dry doe.

Brother is 5-10. Our whitetail are quite small and the muleys about average.

09-Dec-20
Which one tasted better? That muley doe taste like shoe leather?

09-Dec-20
Actually the muley was great. I've eaten a lot of both and never had a bad tasting muley.

However, we did end up grinding most of her. Chewy!!!

09-Dec-20
We have the same small whitetails in parts of Southern Alberta. Pretty sure these deer are the true ochrourus subspecies.

10-Dec-20
the mulies seem to have shorter legs though.

10-Dec-20
Bou'bound that was a miggit muly doe:)

10-Dec-20
A big doe here dresses in the 110-120 range. A really big one goes in the 130 range. The average is about 90 pounds.

10-Dec-20
Ya mulies are bigger. I've only killed a few, but I preferred every one of them over whitetails for eating.

10-Dec-20
The whitetails I hunted and ate from the wife's family farm in Michigan are much tastier than Colorado mule deer.

10-Dec-20
I've killed plenty of both species in Colorado and Kansas, and can attest to Mulies being much bigger. I also agree WT venison is tastier. I've never had a bad tasting WT, but I've killed a few Mulie bucks in the rut that we couldn't even eat chili that was made from them.

Matt

10-Dec-20
I once heard about a whitetail that dressed out at 388 pounds! Supposedly the weight was on a certified scale and the deer was taken somewhere in one of the eastern states in the 1950s. Anyone ever hear of a heavier whitetail?

10-Dec-20

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
This was the biggest bodied Mule deer I've ever killed. I didn't weigh him on a scale, but I did measure his chest girth. It was 52". According to charts that calculate weight based on chest girth, he was well over 400 pounds.

I was fit and strong back then, and I had never had a problem loading a gutted buck into my pickup solo. I wrestled with this toad for at least an hour trying to load him up. Finally, I stuck one arm into his chest cavity and bear hugged him with the other arm. Then I literally dove into the bed of my pickup with him in my arms.

Oddly, that buck was still in velvet in mid-October, and he had no testicles.

Matt

10-Dec-20

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
This Minnesota buck weighed 511 pounds on the hoof and 402 dressed. It was taken in 1926.

10-Dec-20
That looks like a monster, Kodiak. Or, the dude standing by him is about 4' tall. ;-)

10-Dec-20
There is no way that Minnesota buck had 109 pounds of guts.

10-Dec-20
"Oddly, that buck was still in velvet in mid-October, and he had no testicles."

And that is why he was so big in the body.

10-Dec-20
Actually OneBooner the math works out. Dressed weight times 1.25 equals live weight is the general rule of thumb.

10-Dec-20
All my WT deer have been from NY and PA. I've killed more than a few and the biggest doe I've killed was 125# FD. Now, have guys killed larger doe...I'm sure they have. But it is what it is. I'm still looking for a 200# FD buck. There are a number of >200# bucks killed every year...but not a heck of a lot.

10-Dec-20
Kodiak, Thats not the Hinkley buck from Maine? Very similar picture.

10-Dec-20

You're right, it does look like the same deer? My bad if it is.

10-Dec-20
Plenty of big ones no one has ever heard about too. I would do the gutless on any that I couldn't move. A couple pics and done with it.... GG, thats a horse, how'd it drag? LOL

11-Dec-20
Bigern,

The drag nearly killed me, and it was only 75 yards on flat ground. LOL.

Matt

• Sitka Gear