drycreek 10-Dec-20
SDHNTR(home) 11-Dec-20
Chief 419 11-Dec-20
drycreek 12-Dec-20
LINK 12-Dec-20
HuntSeeker 15-Dec-20
John in MO / KY 15-Dec-20
10-Dec-20
Looking for a good outfitter to hunt Deer in Missouri or Texas. Probably looking at Muzzleloader or Rifle but may consider archery. Anyone have personal experience or recommendation?

10-Dec-20
There’s a lot of good deer country between Missouri and Texas.

10-Dec-20
Contact Jerry Gonzales, Perdernal Bowhunts, Laredo TX. He runs a very very clean operation.

10-Dec-20
Lots of outfitters in Texas, good, bad, and indifferent. RK on here might can point you in the right direction. No help here for Missouri. Good luck !

10-Dec-20
Contact Jerry Gonzales, Perdernal Bowhunts, Laredo TX. He runs a very very clean operation. Low fence or High.

You can PM me your cell or email and I'll forward his Vcard.

10-Dec-20
Missouri will be a more natural experience. No captive deer with ear tags you can see pictures of and negotiate the price to shoot. No high fences. No pen-raised deer later turned out into pastures. No pile of corn along the road or in front of the blind. May matter, may not. Just a heck of a lot of difference between a Missouri experience and a Texas experience.

10-Dec-20
Matter none really but curious why those two states.

10-Dec-20
What treewalker said, Texas has damn near ruined hunting within its own borders and seeks victims in neighboring states as well

The weirdest thing is that Texans just don’t see it

10-Dec-20
...that being said if you want to fly into an airport, hunt for a few days, shoot a good deer and have the $$$ Texas is your place. Missouri or any state that values free chase hunting will be a much more involved hunting process and lower odds of success

10-Dec-20
Tim King of London oaks runs a good operation and caters to bowhunter

10-Dec-20
The biggest difference between the two states is that baiting is illegal in Missouri. Beyond that the attitudes mentioned above about Texas are warped. 95% of Texas hunting does not involve high fencing or deer farms. Most have free range animals. You could hunt a big ranch in South Texas that has 100% wild deer. But that would be expensive. But there are plenty of Moderate priced free range hunts in Texas. The key to look for is: no kill no pay. If they make that offer, it’s a canned hunt

10-Dec-20
txhunter58, you took the words right out of my mouth. Texas gets a bad rap about canned hunts. Are there canned hunts ? Damn right, but come hunt in East Texas on public land, (real wall hangers there), but if you’ve never hunted the big woods it’s likely you’ll never see one.

What you will see in Texas is very little public land, illegal to bait, time limit on how long you can leave a stand up, no motorized vehicles in the woods, etc., much like public out West. In Texas most land is leased by hunters, some is owned by hunters, and some is leased by outfitters or owned by guys that outfit. But not near all of it is high fenced, those are just the places that make the conversations, mostly from guys who have no clue what they’re talking about. Like the guys that think there’s a B&C buck behind every tree in the Midwest.

11-Dec-20
Well, I hate the mere concept of high fence hunting, but I love hunting TX and TX hunting culture!

11-Dec-20
I've hunted both states and both are great options. Really depends on what you're looking for. Shooting hogs is a bonus while hunting deer in Texas. Missouri is great when the rut is on. Two totally different hunts in my opinion if for no other reason than the terrain. Hunt both!

12-Dec-20
SDHNTR, there are high fenced ranches in Texas that cover so many acres that most of the deer will never see the fences. Then there are the ones that you can hardly hunt without seeing at least one fence, and there are all kinds in between. Pick your poison ! ;-)

12-Dec-20
I’m guessing the Texas bashers haven’t hunted Texas. I’ve guided in the panhandle of Texas and it’s no different than OK or Kansas. I’ve been all across east Texas and not seen a high fence. There’s a lot of Texas that doesn’t lay between Dallas and San Antonio. Even there I’m sure you can find non fenced hunting.

15-Dec-20
I was basically targeting states that had Rifle/Muzzleloader/bow hunts after Wisconsin Rifle season here. I hunt northern Wisconsin which has been ruined by the number of wolves. I have not seen a deer in Rifle season for 2 years and want to go someplace after our rifle season with a great chance to see deer and kill and decent buck.

15-Dec-20
Missouri has loads of public land, inexpensive non-resident tags, wide variety of habitat, plenty of deer, a late muzzle loader season if that's your thing, and is not too far a drive from Wisconsin. Killing a decent buck after the rifle season will be tough, but not impossible.

But if you're looking for an experience that's way different from Wisconsin, heading to Texas in December and January would do it. Plenty of low or no fence ranches you could pay a trespass fee to access with habitat unlike anything you've seen in Wisconsin.

• Sitka Gear