deerhunter72 12-Dec-20
GF 12-Dec-20
BigOk 13-Dec-20
Bou'bound 13-Dec-20
Rock 13-Dec-20
BigOk 13-Dec-20
12-Dec-20

Average guy outdoors's Link
I shot this buck on nov 13 and as you can see in the video he looks generally healthy,but when I started guting him I noticed his stomach was cinda hard and when I cut him open there was puss immediately all over the place coming from his lower body cavity,like a whole 2 gallons of the stuff it was nasty to say the least.so has anyone had any experience with this,what could it be? Maybe car hit? I dont know any wisdom on this?

12-Dec-20
The deer was a bit thiner from the center of the body cavity back,like waist back.

12-Dec-20
Never had that happen to me before but I certainly wouldn’t eat the meat myself. Not worth the risk. The deer was probably injured i.e. shot or hit by car. Also could just be an illness of some sort. Great buck and a very good shot!

12-Dec-20
Yes we did not eat em!

12-Dec-20
If you really wanted to know, you would have had to do a decent necropsy while you had the chance. Yes, it gets nasty. Welcome to Science ;)

Sounds like something perforated the gut. Could have been a projectile; could have been blunt force powerful enough to shear the wall of the GI tract; could have been the cervid equivalent of appendicitis or diverticulitis. Could have been gored by another buck or impaled on something.

I’d feel bad not eating a deer I had killed, but I’d feel a lot worse making somebody sick feeding it to them.

13-Dec-20
I shot a buck this year that could only limp along very slow. I had seen him 5 days before and he had a slight limp but could move at a good pace. I made the decision to end his suffering. One of his rear hindquarters was swollen 3X's the size of the other one. When I started to gut the buck, approx. 5 to 6 gallons of nasty liquid came out of an abcess that was between the hindquarter and rib cage. Sadly the meat was discolored and the nasty liquid was all under the hide on most of the body. I hated to not eat any of the meat but after getting several opinions, I decided it was not worth making anyone sick.

13-Dec-20
wow, i wouldn't have needed a single opinion to avoid consuming that mess.

13-Dec-20
A good friend killed an Elk many years ago that was the same way. He took pictures and hiked out going to the DOW and showing them the pictures they told hm not to eat it (which he was not going to do) and issued him another tag.

13-Dec-20
I assume hit by a car, no visible signs of any injuries.

13-Dec-20
There was no like bullet hole,no Arrow wounded,no outward injury.

• Sitka Gear