Bowboy 06-Jan-21
DonVathome 06-Jan-21
New river 06-Jan-21
wytex 06-Jan-21
Jaeger63 06-Jan-21
Jaeger63 06-Jan-21
Big John 07-Jan-21
12-Dec-20
Can anyone recommend a good unit to apply for an Elk hunt in Wyoming 2021. I have 12 points. I hunted unit 7 in 2008, but it seems that unit isn’t the hot one now.

13-Dec-20
Nope

13-Dec-20
What are your goals and expectations? Then what’s your time and budget?

13-Dec-20
Are you wanting to DIY or guided? What caliber bull are you looking for?

13-Dec-20
Hold on a sec I’ll do your research for you....

13-Dec-20
Maybe this is part of his research.

13-Dec-20
Death by firing squad for asking a question? If I had 12 points in WY I'd probably start a thread and ask questions too. There are plenty of knowledgeable guys on here that hopefully can give you some help.

13-Dec-20
Adam B, Bob H your exactly what I was expecting from this group, and why most people don’t ask for help on this site. It’s not like someone is wanting to hunt your back yard. Is this the way of the world these days where everyone has to be a smart ass? Does that make you feel good about yourself? Why have a forum if someone can’t bounce ideas off others. Do you have points in Wyoming? Am I hunting your Bull that you’ve picked out?

13-Dec-20
Thanks Bowfreak,

13-Dec-20
have you thought about point sharing? you could hunt with someone or a small group in area that is well scouted by them and they get to hunt again sooner. Win-Win

13-Dec-20
Completely disappointed in 7 this year. I’m spending the winter looking for other areas... not sure where that’ll be yet. If you’re going guided, 7 may still be good. Can’t imagine any other way to get away from the insane amount of hunters.

13-Dec-20
Reasonable question, this is a bowhunting community isn't' it? Good luck Charliebuck

13-Dec-20
Thanks Bowfreak,

13-Dec-20
I’m in the same point pool as you charliebuck. I’ve been booted due to point creep 6 times. Usually I just hunt Idaho as a backup plan but that’s not the case this year. Maybe we can compare notes this year.

The Wyoming draw dates really, really suck if you apply in other states. I have a decent chance at a Utah elk tag this year which clouds the decision process for WY.

Someone remind me, which results came first last year Utah or WY?

13-Dec-20
WY results will be out May 21. Utah 2020 emails went out May 15.

13-Dec-20
DIY, guided, private, budget, expectations?

This will help people give you good advice.

14-Dec-20
If you draw 7 shoot me a pm.

14-Dec-20
Charliebuck, Rokslide, Eastmans, and Hunt Talk are also good forums to try and get info on areas. I sent you another PM

14-Dec-20
The WY hunt planner and a site like GoHunt or TopRut has all the info you need to get started. Once you have picked out an area come back and ask specific questions about areas you plan to hunt. Good luck to you.

14-Dec-20
Why have a forum if someone can’t bounce ideas off others.

The problem is you didn't bounce any ideas. Just asked what unit, and those types of threads are a dime a dozen on every forum. Throw out some of your ideas that you've had over the last 12 years. Ask anyone that can help to PM you and further the discussion that way. Keep the particulars out of public view. You need to bring something to the table if you'd like to join in the feast.

14-Dec-20
This fall was crazy in even the good LQ areas, lots of campers and non hunters around, even more residents out pursuing game. Affected the hunting for some so you may get responses that good LQ areas just aren't what they once were. Do grizz and wolves bother you ? If so then NW Wyoming is not for you. Some areas have access issues where the elk are once seasons get going, the elk move. Some area on the Hunt Planner say limited access when it really isn't limited, others have plenty of access but elk move to private with pressure. I have some insight on a couple of good LQ areas I'll pm you about.

14-Dec-20
Jethro that was an excellent comment. You gotta run some of your ideas past people.

For now answering the above questions would really help too.

Guided, diy, expectations??? Monster bulls only or great hunting for bulls to 330?

14-Dec-20
Mule Power...."Monster bulls only or great hunting for bulls to 330?" Not many guys are going to pass 330 bulls on any archery hunt in Wyoming!

14-Dec-20
Charliebuck, I think you miss-understood my post. I was saying this IS LEGIT part of research, there's a huge wealth of experience here. When I was picking outfitters I would check and ask here.

15-Dec-20
Bob, I mistook your intentions my apologies.

I didn’t give much In the way of intentions.

I’ve been Elk hunting for 20 + years off and on skipping two or three years in between. I’d have to say I’m not very good at it as I have only gotten 1 cow. I mostly go unguided. Ive had many close encounters with bulls, but it just hasn’t happened. I enjoy the hunt and the excitement so I keep trying. I’ve built up 12 points in WY and 15 in AZ. It’s time to start thinking of using them. Years ago I was into wanting a huge Bull, but now I’d just like action and a chance at a decent Bull. I’d like to go outfitted or at least guided as I don’t want to just stumble into an area I have know knowledge about. I would dedicate 10 days to two weeks to hopefully get the job done. I haven’t kept up with the reports and regulations in WY for many years but have kept buying points.

I appreciate the reply’s and PM’s

15-Dec-20
Bob, I mistook your intentions my apologies.

I didn’t give much In the way of intentions.

I’ve been Elk hunting for 20 + years off and on skipping two or three years in between. I’d have to say I’m not very good at it as I have only gotten 1 cow. I mostly go unguided. Ive had many close encounters with bulls, but it just hasn’t happened. I enjoy the hunt and the excitement so I keep trying. I’ve built up 12 points in WY and 15 in AZ. It’s time to start thinking of using them. Years ago I was into wanting a huge Bull, but now I’d just like action and a chance at a decent Bull. I’d like to go outfitted or at least guided as I don’t want to just stumble into an area I have know knowledge about. I would dedicate 10 days to two weeks to hopefully get the job done. I haven’t kept up with the reports and regulations in WY for many years but have kept buying points.

I appreciate the reply’s and PM’s

15-Dec-20
PM sent.

06-Jan-21

5575's embedded Photo
My Wy archery bull.
5575's embedded Photo
My Wy archery bull.
Sent you a PM Give him a call, best hunt I have ever been on, nothing even comes close. Big private ranch and you will be the only bowhunter on it all week. There is a reason his bowhunters are 100% on bulls over 300 inches its that good! Takes about 11 points to draw so you'd be good to go, can't wait till I can go back again. I took a 365 bull, buddy of mine went in 2018 and too a 374 with his bow, its the real deal. you'll see 200-700 elk a day, its elk heaven! If you can shoot well out to 40 yards and can hold off on the smaller bulls a 320-350 bull is very possible. But when you have a 300 inch bull at 10 yards screaming in your face its hard to control yourself!! Darren at Professional Hunting Services 307-752-0771 email [email protected] He doesn't have a website but does answer text and emails. Pic is of my bull.

06-Jan-21
What ever unit ya decide on, have fun and enjoy for sure!

Good luck, Robb

06-Jan-21
Drnalin that is definitely true. But there are lots of guy who watch too much tv and when they plan their hunt they keep telling themselves I have all these points I’d sure like to shoot a 350 plus.

I’d find a couple good partners and dump the points on a general licenses hoping for a 280 incher and a great time in an area I can go back to.

06-Jan-21

Bowboy's Link
I'd recommend giving Josh a call. You'll get the whole wilderness experience hunting with him.

06-Jan-21
Unit 62, great hunt big bulls. I drew it twice and can point you in the right direction.

06-Jan-21
Unit 38 has a lot of elk along with slot of pressure however I have taken nice bulls every year I have drawn I live in sheridan

06-Jan-21
Funny how the out of state guys are the ones complaining about asking for info.

No way I would share those PP, you are in a good spot to draw a nice license. A ranch hunt would be nice but not necessary to get a big bull.

06-Jan-21
Charliebuck PM sent

06-Jan-21
DonVathome PM sent

07-Jan-21
Charliebuck, PM sent

• Sitka Gear