KSflatlander 13-Dec-20
Sand man 13-Dec-20
Teeton 13-Dec-20
Kodiak 13-Dec-20
beemann 13-Dec-20
Teeton 13-Dec-20
KSflatlander 13-Dec-20
13-Dec-20
Do any of you work to create deer trails near your permanent deer stand to somewhat affect deer travel? If yes, what are your methods for creating trails (mowing, raking, roundup)? How did it work if at all? What were your experiences?

13-Dec-20
I hunt a thick cedar patch. Every summer I take a Stihl pole saw cut trails through the cedars. Works great. I also use the solid blades on my weed wacker and cut/maintain trails through bluestem. I would not be able to bowhunt that patch if I didn't do that.

13-Dec-20
Same as Blue Buck...have been doing this for years...works great!

13-Dec-20

Skippy's embedded Photo
Skippy's embedded Photo
I cut trails from field to field with my mulcher in skid steer. Deer love them!

13-Dec-20
I've cut trails, put up barbwire to funnel them to an area. Blocked holes in fences and opened holes to get them to go through certain areas.

13-Dec-20
Can I borrow it lol

13-Dec-20

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
I'm a hardcore believer in making deer trails or runs. I'm getting ready to go out in a few and make one in the snow dump we just had yesterday. The deer are curious and will check out the snow trails I put in.

Back in Sept I cut in one at the cabin with my lawn mower. I took a pic of the scrub I had to go thru to make the trail. The video is the result of doing that. Within few days the deer were using the trail. It was too close to a road so I didn't hunt it.

13-Dec-20
Brush hog trails across the open pasture to allow my daughter close shot opportunities.

13-Dec-20
Deer will take over man made trails no doubt, no matter how you make them. Sometimes it works against you if you clean a nice, quiet trail to your stand. ;-) I never let that stop me though, most of mine are mowed out, some I had to clean out with my dozer.

13-Dec-20
Thanks for the comments. Anyone use self propelled push mowers to make trails in timber/forests?

13-Dec-20
Browse pockets using henge cutting (10yards wide / 30 yards long) interconnected with 3’ wide groomed trails. No more than 30 yards between pockets... Hand work but much more precise...creates a slower line of movement then head to tail down the shoot travel IMO.

Dream big. Aim small. Miss small.

13-Dec-20
I killed my buck this year on my man made deer trail. Its the deer in the "P&Y yes or no" post. I use chain saws, weed whackers with steel blades in very early spring. I'll then in mid to late may spray just to have about a 2 ft wide trail. Once you get them started they have very little maintenance, many times no maintenance.

13-Dec-20
I do pretty much what Teeton does. Works great, many times bucks will establish scrape lines along them as well. Remember to leave some licking branches.

13-Dec-20

beemann's embedded Photo
beemann's embedded Photo
I have started a lot of trails on one of these ...Im pulling cameras and having fun in this pic, but I use my bikes to check cameras and I have started trails with them, In the beginning it was accidental but now its on purpose... On private land!!!!

13-Dec-20
I killed my buck this year on my man made deer trail. Its the deer in the post, P&Y yes or no". I use a chain saws, weed whackers with steel blades in very early spring. I'll then in mid to late May spray just to have about a 2 ft wide trail. Once you get them started they have very little maintenance, many times no maintenance. Ed

13-Dec-20
Beeman- awesome pick. My sons use to race motocross and arenacross. I got personal connections to Justin Bogle and Kevin Moranz who both race Supercross and Pro motocross. The wife and I go to Supercross races every year. Dirts bikes do create trails pretty quick lol.

• Sitka Gear