NorCalVineyards 23-Dec-20
BULELK1 24-Dec-20
APauls 24-Dec-20
APauls 24-Dec-20
TJS 24-Dec-20
Grey Ghost 24-Dec-20
APauls 24-Dec-20
13-Dec-20
Anyone watching the show Live2hunt with Cody and Kelsey?

I haven’t watched a lot of outdoor TV but this year I have and I really like this show.

He’s spent three years hunting a giant muley buck he calls Sleepy, the last two shows have been about his quest for this one buck and its outstanding.

Just curious if anyone else is following it?

13-Dec-20
Ok how do you guys not know about Live2Hunt? His mulie stuff is the best there is no question. Plain outstanding outdoor TV. All his hunts are awesome, unfortunately most whitetail stuff is baited.

13-Dec-20
Cory’s show is one I enjoy and follow. I also like Nick’s Wild Ride, he filmed an episode with my old neighbor in Meeker Dan Swartz.

13-Dec-20
Yep, been following this one and have the next episode ready to record on the 20th.

13-Dec-20
The huge double drop world record class buck (Tiny) that Cody killed, is un friggen believable, as well.

14-Dec-20
Cody's shows are refreshing to hear and watch. Yep, great mule deer segments.

14-Dec-20
Yup great show. Remember when he started in the Bentley Coben videos.

14-Dec-20
Yes, I enjoy his shows. And the huge Mulies

14-Dec-20
When my wife and I hunted africa last year there was a guy in camp (Brian Stephens) with his family that is occasionally also on the show who was a stand up guy. Very humble. Great show and great people.

14-Dec-20
I read the article in Bowhunter Magazine about this buck!

14-Dec-20
It's amazing. This is a repeat of the 3 or for parts that aired earlier in the fall. He was honest about the impact his multi year obsession had on his wife and kids.

14-Dec-20
Oh yeah, Cody’s stuff is fantastic. Only problem is now my son has gotten obsessed with him and thinks he’s way cooler than his own dad and wants to move to Saskatchewan. He’s 7. What the crap?!

14-Dec-20
I'm a huge fan of that show The story of sleepy is the best story I have ever watched in the outdoor industry. What dedication and determination

14-Dec-20
Will have to see if I can find that series. Sounds like a good one.

Those Saskatchewan farm bucks sure get huge!

Too bad our Colorado Parks and Wildlife Department has decided to reduce mature mule deer... Kind of feels like they want to eliminate mule deer with some of their policies over the last few years.

14-Dec-20
Nope. I stoped watching outdoor TV years ago. I do record the Meateater, and occasionally watch an episode of that, but that's about it.

Matt

14-Dec-20
Yes, I watch all of his shows. One of my favorite shows for sure. That series on "Sleepy" is fantastic. The dedication, obsession, and emotion are off the charts.

14-Dec-20
Yup, have it on auto so I don't miss any. Happy show with a lot of other hunts by people not starring shown.

They also show all the fails which are often just as interesting as the successes.

14-Dec-20
I probably watched the first two seasons, I know I watched the first season, but I gave up watching anything hunting/tv except Midwest Whitetails and Growing Deer, and I watch that on YouTube tv. I don’t even have the Sportsmans channel anymore. Cody did kill some big, beautiful mulies though and seemed like a nice kid. I remember when he was a camerman for Jim Shockey.

14-Dec-20
Is this the buck he misses twice inside 30 yards, finds his sheds, then eventually kills with his gun?

14-Dec-20
Did he actually kill a new world record nontypical?

That Colorado buck in velvet would be hard to beat!

14-Dec-20
Little too much being in love with the deer for me. Giant deer for sure and seems like a nice enough guy.

14-Dec-20
I stand corrected he ends up killing it with his bow. Neat buck

14-Dec-20
Giant buck. Man I would be excited to even see a buck like that in the wild. That guy had killed some world class bucks! My hats off to him!

I enjoy mule deer and bowhunting. But I love my wife a lot more than a deer. Not sure I could be in love with a buck lol

15-Dec-20
"Did he actually kill a new world record nontypical?"

Treeline, it was several years ago. At the time, it would have probably been a WR class buck, but he kept it in velvet (which P&Y did not allow to hold a WR at the time), and he didn't enter it. The current velvet WR NT is considerably larger, I believe, so if he entered it now it would likely not be the WR.

15-Dec-20
So what's the deal with velvet bucks and P&Y now, they no longer have a category for them?

15-Dec-20
If I remember and it’s been a few months since I watched it he talked very openly about his infatuation and obsession with that animal and how his singular focus on it distracted him from his family As time went on

He talked about how once he got it he could now return to them after four years being "in love" with that animal like no other animal he could ever love.

It was also interesting and a bit more subtle on how he shared that his commitment to only taking that one deer jeopardized their income because his job requires him to be successful each year and his unwillingnessTo settle for any other animal was impacting their ability to put what they need to put on film each season

It is one of the best shows out there he truly seems to love the sport and helping people have there dreams come true with him in the field but it was just a deer and frankly it was creepy that he made it into something more than that and worshiped it to that degree on the alter of life’s priorities

For his sake I hope he didn’t really feel that way but it was simply dramatizing for effect as an entertainer And storyteller

If those feelings, emotions, and actions were intentionally exaggerated to make a better TV show that may be better for everybody. Either way the lessons to be learned from that saga for many may be far more valuable than how to kill a big deer.

15-Dec-20
I’ve not seen the whole ending yet but so far he’s definitely got the OCD thing in high gear over the buck. Especially when he was out looking for the deer the week his wife had a baby. I imagine that didn’t go over well.

I’ve never had an obsession over a deer like he had, but then again I never had a buck like that within my grasp.

But I can imagine being caught up with killing a buck like sleepy. Of course, I don’t have to worry about that because all my bucks get killed by rifle hunting neighbors at 2.5 years old!

15-Dec-20

Bou'bound's Link
link is a 2 minute recap of his season some of it about sleepy

15-Dec-20
Pat, his wife was the daughter of a well heeled client back when he was a guide. She took some awesome bucks then and is a big part of the show and still does so now. I’m sure she was on board with him hunting close to the baby delivery. I enjoy the show but the both have a lot of Stan Potts in them and it goes way over the top when they connect try to wax eloquent. Small price to pay to see the incredible animals they hunt.

15-Dec-20
Reaction seems genuine to me but you might be right. At least they don’t have that wandering eye!

15-Dec-20
Is it on YouTube?

15-Dec-20
That's a fabulous buck, and I might ball over shooting it too. But IMO broadcasting video of the mental breakdown is an overshare ;-)

15-Dec-20
It was great! He is very passionate about his mule deer.

15-Dec-20

StickFlicker's Link
"So what's the deal with velvet bucks and P&Y now, they no longer have a category for them?"

Zbone, the exact opposite. Velvet animals are now in their own categories, ranked by size, and they're eligible for both biennial awards and world records. See the link for the announcement of the change from P&Y.

15-Dec-20
He has the best show on outdoor TV today. He is the real deal, gets the same level of excitement no matter if he is the shooter or just along for the ride. Great guy!!

15-Dec-20
I too enjoy his show and I am watching the Sleepy story! Good stuff

15-Dec-20
I think Western Hunter with Nate Simmons episodes are one of the best tv show going. Really well filmed

15-Dec-20

Jaquomo's Link
In Kelsy's bio she says her dad was a hunting guide and she and Cody knew each other as kids growing up. Her dad and Cody both worked for Shockey, and one season when her dad was on a hunt with Shockey he asked Cody to take her hunting because he couldn't. They were friends for a number of years after that, and were both on the rodeo circuit before getting out of the "friend zone" when Cody told her he loved her and wanted to marry her one day on a hunt. They hadn't ever been on a date at that time, besides "hunting dates". She wasn't sure she wanted to get out of the friend zone with him, but gave it a shot. The rest, as they say...

15-Dec-20
I guess I misremembered some of the details...but in the end she did know what she was getting into and she has taken some monster deer. 20 years ago she had some of the best trophy photos ever taken IMO.

16-Dec-20
He wrote article on it, I think it was in bowhunter.

16-Dec-20
A little over the top with the emotions for me. He "loved" that deer...so he killed it. Glad I'm not a family member.

16-Dec-20
And I thought this thread might be about Joe Biden!

16-Dec-20
I have watched it since Cody went on his own. He use to video for Jim Shockey. Best show on outdoor tv.

21-Dec-20
Decent show with some amazing animals taken. But a few episodes in and I saw the elk hunt where the caller is telling the hunter to shoot the bull elk in the neck if that's the only shot he gets...I dunno about that one. And then there's the episode where he shoots a giant whitetail with a crossbow. Not that great. Cool show for the quality of animals though, no doubt!

21-Dec-20
Man they kill some giants

21-Dec-20
Yes it was a great episode. Cody is very authentic.

22-Dec-20
Is this the buck that he takes with a Texas heart shot or is that the giant velvet mulie? That seemed a little questionable.

23-Dec-20
Finally watched the finale of this story. Amazing buck and story.....but, if I started crying like Cody does (more than once) I’d hope somebody would kick me in the butt! I understand getting wound up over the deer, but, IMO, that’s a bit over the top for my taste.

23-Dec-20
If that emotion was authentic he’s a man with some really messed up priorities. Which is totally his prerogative.

23-Dec-20
It was one of the best journeys I've watched and really enjoyed riding along. Not many people would have the dedication to hunt a deer 90+ days, let alone two people (one camera man) and they did a first class job journaling their quest that ended in victory. Hat's off.

24-Dec-20
I forget the year, although it was recently they both arrowed Huge Whitetail bucks and he took some of his friends on those gagger Muley hunts.

I really like his show, even after he went his own way after working for Shockey.

Good luck, Robb

24-Dec-20
This whole story is available to rent on Vimeo. Think it’s like a 2 hour video

24-Dec-20
This whole story is available to rent on Vimeo. Think it’s like a 2 hour video

24-Dec-20
I just saw the killing episode this morning. I enjoy his show. I try to watch it when I know it's on. Emotions were a little over the top, but better than not having enough. He showed his passion for the hunting that he obviously loves.

24-Dec-20
If that emotion was authentic he’s a man with some really messed up priorities.

A year ago, I would have agreed. However, this year, after waiting 22 years to draw a trophy elk unit tag, then hunting my ass off for 28 straight days to finally arrow a big bull, I have to admit I had mixed emotions that I've never experienced before when I finally found his spoiled carcass 2-1/2 days later. I laughed and cried both, at the same time. It was a solo moment of reflection, remorse, and relief. And it felt good to get it out.

I guess I must be getting soft.

Matt

24-Dec-20
Cody isn’t going to be crying on TV “for show.” So ya, it’s authentic. Though I haven’t seen it. I don’t pay for cable. He’s a Canadian, not a yankee-doodle.

• Sitka Gear